HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Rebuild/Tank Thread

View Poll Results: Would you accept the Leafs going through a long rebuilding process?
Yes, it's been a long time coming 236 90.08%
No, we have to try to win now 26 9.92%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2008, 06:25 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

vCash: 500
The Rebuild/Tank Thread

I'm a pro-rebuilder. Clearly.

Many of you are also hoping the Leafs will keep losing and have a massive retooling, wipe out the mediocre management, get rid of the ridicilous contracts and etc etc, am I right?

If I'm not, then this thread is not for you.

I love the leafs, and I love nothing more than seeing a leafs win.

But, lately I must say, I have found myself cheering when the leafs lose. Because in the next 2 years the best influx of talent this league will have ever seen to date, is primed and ready to be drafted.

Losing is exactly what this team needs to win!

We alllll know this, so this thread's dedicated to supporting the leafs last minute collapses, shootout losses (one point's slightly better than 2 in this case!), and goaltending problems, and whatnot!

There's a good side to everything, in this case, losing means Stamkos.

Old
01-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Ten

This will probably either be closed or merged, but I'll bask in the sunlight here while I can.

17 more losses to go.

Old
01-04-2008, 06:34 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

I think most people really don't care enough to see this team win, right now. So tanking or not, whatever gets us to the primise land quicker, the better.

Old
01-04-2008, 06:35 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftindust View Post
This will probably either be closed or merged, but I'll bask in the sunlight here while I can.

17 more losses to go.
No, this can stay open.

Old
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
No, this can stay open.
Finally, I've contibuted to the boards!

Edit: 17 more losses to gooo!!

Old
01-04-2008, 06:37 PM
BuppY

Yes Tankers

It's Time..
It's Time...

It's STAMKOS time..

Old
01-04-2008, 06:39 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by xH N I Cx View Post
Yes Tankers

It's Time..
It's Time...

It's STAMKOS time..
Tankers unite!!

Old
01-04-2008, 06:48 PM
stugotz

Ive been waiting a long time for a rebuild, I like probably everyone who will post here, love the leafs with a passion, but am sick and tired of excusess, just blow this team up and start from scratch, and the best way is with Steve Stamkos this year, and a high pick in next years draft. I wish the leafs can make a deal to pry edmonton's 1st rounder away from Anaheim. Imagine...2 top 5 picks...

Old
01-04-2008, 06:51 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
On side with the sentiments here. Best thing to eventually making it is getting the pieces and that means some more losses.

Old
01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by stugotz View Post
Ive been waiting a long time for a rebuild, I like probably everyone who will post here, love the leafs with a passion, but am sick and tired of excusess, just blow this team up and start from scratch, and the best way is with Steve Stamkos this year, and a high pick in next years draft. I wish the leafs can make a deal to pry edmonton's 1st rounder away from Anaheim. Imagine...2 top 5 picks...
I doubt that happens, but one can always dream.

Old
01-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Metallian*

Quote:
Originally Posted by xH N I Cx View Post
Yes Tankers

It's Time..
It's Time...

It's STAMKOS time..
we should sign Vader to announce all draft picks in this manner

Old
01-04-2008, 06:57 PM
stugotz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
I doubt that happens, but one can always dream.
It wont happen with our management, Ive come to terms with that, but like you said, a man can dream.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:00 PM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyStar View Post
Many of you are also hoping the Leafs will keep losing and have a massive retooling, wipe out the mediocre management, get rid of the ridicilous contracts and etc etc, am I right?

There's a good side to everything, in this case, losing means Stamkos.
YES x 10

Throw in a fire sale at the next two deadlines and you have yourself a deal.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Number13

Ill admit, as die hard as I am. THe losses I've been seeing recently have been softened by the fact that we could be getting guys like Stamkos, Doughty, Beach etc. So I'm for a big tank of a season. Might as well. I'd rather that then finish in damn 9th.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:05 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheleafs View Post
YES x 10

Throw in a fire sale at the next two deadlines and you have yourself a deal.
I wish I could.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:06 PM
shaner89

In order to be a decent team, the Leafs need to tank it for this and next yr. Rebuild this mess

Old
01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
In order to be a decent team, the Leafs need to tank it for this and next yr. Rebuild this mess
That is such a great idea! I should start a thread that says exactly that!

Old
01-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

They're in the tank already. They're 26th in the league. They just have to drop the pretense of being a competitive team, because they aren't, and act accordingly.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:11 PM
AmazedRink
Nifty Mittens,ATTACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
They're in the tank already. They're 26th in the league. They just have to drop the pretense of being a competitive team, because they aren't, and act accordingly.
And we're supporting the fact that they need to keep being in the tank. Join in.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Slapshot17

Count me in. I want to see them tank this year and next. Trade off what we can for young players and picks, and get Stamkos and Tavares, and we'll be set for a lot of years to come.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Suntouchable13

If a team is tanking on purpose they do not deserve any draft picks. Plus there are no gurantees either way. Players bust, and a lot of times you can get excellent players low in the draft. So to me, getting a high draft pick does not do anything. Teams like NJ and DET did not need high draft picks to be where they are/were. Only true losers tank on purpose. If you tank on purpose, you deserve to be mediocore forever.

Old
01-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Hydrowing

Wonderful, its about time this thread was opened. Time for Stamkos!

Old
01-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Hydrowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
If a team is tanking on purpose they do not deserve any draft picks. Plus there are no gurantees either way. Players bust, and a lot of times you can get excellent players low in the draft. So to me, getting a high draft pick does not do anything. Teams like NJ and DET did not need high draft picks to be where they are/were. Only true losers tank on purpose. If you tank on purpose, you deserve to be mediocore forever.
Getting a high pick increases our chances of drafting a more skilled player. It is not as likely when teams steal good picks in the later rounds. Being ignorant and not understanding what one needs most is being plain foolish. What is this team going to do, try their best and not make the playoffs? Strategically for the future of this team that is not a good move to make. Do you even honestly see our team competing in the Stanley Cup finals?

Old
Snip Genos
GO LEAFS GO

I'm hoping the leafs keep losing, finish with a top 5 pick and add another good one at the deadline. I'm cheering for the leafs to lose every game I watch because I want them to be out of contention as soon as possible. That way management (hopefully not JFJ) will know they need a rebuid and starting at the trade deadline would be a great way to start planning for the future. If they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by then I'm sure Mats Sundin would be willing to waive his NTC to go to a contender if he's told he woul be welcomed to resign with Toronto in the off-season. The trade I would like is Mats to Ana for Edm's first rounder plus whatever else the GM can get

What I'm not hoping for is the team getting hot and being in the playoff race by the trade deadline (for the 8th seed). JFJ would probably trade away some youth or picks to try to make the playoffs and we'll end up with a very boring off-season again with the leafs not having a high draft pick (probably around 13, unless it gets traded). That doesn't improve our future very much and it would still be the same pattern as the last 3 years of just missing the playoffs by very few points and not having much to show for it. It's clear that this team is spinning it's wheels in the mud by doing this and I'm hoping management does something to change. This year would be a very good oportunity to build for the future and try to build a championship team in the future. Next year's draft also would be a big step in the right direction if they could somehow draft Tavares, he is a franchise player and has a chance to be like what crosby is for the pens: (arguably) the best player in the world with lots of potential to have one of the best hockey careers ever.

So I hope the leafs realize what tanking this year and adding another pick would do. The future would look a lot brighter with maybe adding such prospects as 2 of Stamkos, Doughty, Beach, Pietrangelo, Schenn, Bogosian and whoever else is ranked high. As for Tavares being drafted by the leafs, it is very unlikely he would but if the gm really wants him then I guess it is possible. So, say he was drafted by the leafs then I think the leafs would definetly become contenders soon enough especially if Pogge, Kulemin, Tlusty, and Stalman reach their ceilling.

I'm not actually believing drafting all of the players I mentioned above has a chance at happening although it is possible. I'm just saying that now would be the time to tank, draft high and rebuild with this draf but unfortunately I don't think we will even get a top 5 pick this year because of the way the team is run. I would be very happy with a top 10 pick this year and I would be even happier if JFJ got fired and the new gm would be good and not make stupid trades and signings that come back to haunt them like the Rask trade and every other trade he made that involved youth or picks going for an old vet and/or a chance at the 8th spot.

Old
Slapshot17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
In tanking I'm suggesting trading over-priced underperforming players for draft picks and young players. If it means we don't finish as high in the standings and get a player such as Stamkos then so be it. By no means am I suggesting that the team should not give 100 percent on the ice every night.

Closed Thread