HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

No contract talks with Sean Avery

Old
01-05-2008, 05:49 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
No contract talks with Sean Avery

Glen Sather has not spoken with Sean Avery's agent Pat Morris about a new deal.

Doesn't sound Avery is going to take any discount to stay with the Rangers

Quote:
"I don't think anyone would dispute how much I love the Rangers and what I would do for the team," Avery told the Daily News after the Rangers' practice here Friday. "But that doesn't always come into play when you're in negotiations. So whatever, I'm not losing any sleep over it at this point.

"I know everyone thinks that I would never leave New York or that I couldn't play anywhere else. It's certainly not something I would like to do right now because I love putting on a Ranger jersey.

"But you always have to think about what's best for you and your career and living after hockey
."
Doesn't sound like Glen Sather is rushing into any rash re-signing of Avery

Quote:
"I think I know him fairly well," Sather said yesterday. "I know what his abilities are and what he brings to the hockey club. So it wouldn't be a huge question on whether you're going to sign him for a long time. It's always a question of: For how much? And: What's fair?

"And when you try to negotiate a contract with people like that, it's always give and take. But at the same time, you have to analyze what comparable people are. And that's pretty much how we do all the contract negotiations
."
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...r_stalled.html

How many teams are going to pursue Avery considering his past baggage?If Avery is looking for Scott Hartnell money as has been speculated by Larry Brooks,then Sean isn't going to be here.You can say it's another Brooks rumor but LB does have a close association with Avery.LB had the Rangers brief before the arbitration was heard and was the first to report Avery was going to sue Howard Berger.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 05:58 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
The media leverage battle between Avery and Slats begins again, eh?

The way I interpret their quotes is Avery is just letting him know that he's not going to sign for cheap just because he likes playing here.

And Slats is saying he's not going to get any special treatment because of his popularity.. that he has to consistently contribute before contract offers are made.

I think Avery may get Hartnell money, hopefully it's just more up front and rapidly declines so the cap number is managable. Something like
4 years: 6 - 4.5 - 2.25 - 2. (3.68 cap) - maybe modified with some games played bonuses so he doesn't stupidly injure himself in the future. But as long as Sean gets some cash up front he'll be happy.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
basically.. I agree with that.

I'd lock Sean up for 3-5 years for anywhere in the 3 million per range...

from 3 - 3.8

his impact is obvious.. regardless of the stat column... I just hope they dont play too much hardball with one another and damage egos in the meantime.

GET IT DONE!

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 08:55 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

There is an article on Slats in the Edmonton Journal

Quote:
There's too much parity in the league and the way the CBA is structured today, with group two free-agents ... you have to pay so much to keep them (young guys). Eventually, the guys at the top end of your scale, you won't be able to keep them for any length of time. Maybe you keep some of the stars under long-term deals, but how do you keep the other ones?"
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...dc36316723&p=1

Does Avery fall under "the others ones" category?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 09:17 AM
n_a_c

Based on his ... shall we say extreme emotional play, and the fact he was suspended once by the Kings for an altercation with the assistant coach - I don't want to sign him long term. I'd be happy with two years, heck maybe even one. This might cost a bit more cap wise since you can't front load as much, but I think it would keep him responsible and hungry. Also, definitely do NOT include a no trade clause.

I doubt he'd go for less than 3 million a year. But perhaps a two year deal -->
6 in year one
1 in year two

for a 3.5 cap hit.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 09:20 AM
ruckus*

Personally I don't think Avery is looking for a 2 year deal.

Anyawys, this whole thing makes me sick. I get a bad feeling about it everytime I think of it. After that arbitration hearing I just don't know what to expect.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 09:41 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_a_c View Post
I doubt he'd go for less than 3 million a year. But perhaps a two year deal -->
6 in year one
1 in year two

for a 3.5 cap hit.
Multi-year contracts cannot decrease by more than 50% from year to year.

Old
01-05-2008, 09:47 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

I hope

Man, I hope Slats does the right thing, Avery and Hank are the only guys I care about getting signed to a long term contract.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:12 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Sean has a life outside of hockey. Other interests that make NYC the place to be. He's very into the whole "style" "fashion" "metroman" scene. NYC or LA maybe Montreal would work for his lifestyle best. Of those three NYR is a clear #1 imo.

And thats not even talking about what a great fit he is hockey wise in NY

Have to be concerned about the injuries this season. Also have to think that some guys do better with the contract dangled ahead of them, some do better to have it out of the way.

Avery = seems like he would be extra motivated by having his negotiation in the off season. The level of player he is , the money involved. Its in odd way to everyones advantage to negotiate after the season

In contrast I think Henrik should be signed long term ASAP. Everyone knows exactly what he's getting so get it out of the way so its not a distraction

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:16 AM
TheMetalChick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
Sean has a life outside of hockey. Other interests that make NYC the place to be. He's very into the whole "style" "fashion" "metroman" scene. NYC or LA maybe Montreal would work for his lifestyle best. Of those three NYR is a clear #1 imo.

And thats not even talking about what a great fit he is hockey wise in NY

Have to be concerned about the injuries this season. Also have to think that some guys do better with the contract dangled ahead of them, some do better to have it out of the way.

Avery = seems like he would be extra motivated by having his negotiation in the off season. The level of player he is , the money involved. Its in odd way to everyones advantage to negotiate after the season

In contrast I think Henrik should be signed long term ASAP. Everyone knows exactly what he's getting so get it out of the way so its not a distraction
They do? I thought that was what everyone was still trying to figure out.

TheMetalChick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:19 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I think its pretty clear the $$$ they are talking, the years maybe no

Old
01-05-2008, 10:26 AM
mstraka82

Aves should be signed immediately he is the man and deserve it , if soooo we say we cant win without him.......

mstraka82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:37 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya know it "may" come down to Rozsival or Avery.

The contracts of Gomez, Drury and hopefully Lundqvist are going to eat up 20 or more million.

If Prucha and Callahan were producing as we had hoped they would they could have provided us with relatively cheap top nine forwards for the next couple of years.

Unless at least one of them turns it around Sather may have to go into the free agent market to get a scoring winger. They don't come cheap.

I love Avery and I'd hate to see him leave but it would be interesting to see the reaction of the fans (not the ones who actually have a clue) who call him a talentless punk if he signs with their team.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
I love Avery and I'd hate to see him leave but it would be interesting to see the reaction of the fans (not the ones who actually have a clue) who call him a talentless punk if he signs with their team.
is there an emoticon for "wetting ones pants"

Old
01-05-2008, 10:42 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Avery will be back in Detroit. Bank on it.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:48 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
Avery will be back in Detroit. Bank on it.
keep wishing devilboy

Old
01-05-2008, 10:52 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleandshoot View Post
keep wishing devilboy
The Wings will finish first overall, lose in the 2nd round to the Ducks because they have NO grit, and ILLich will sign Avery for Hartnell money.

Avery always loved Detroit. It wasn't his choice to leave there. That's the only other place he'd either play for, or would want him beside the Rangers.

And the Rangers have no cap room. Unless they wanna lose Rozival.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Interesting choice. Can Girardi continue to generate enough offense that he makes Rozsival expendable. As a result, perhaps maybe UFA money on the blue line goes to the experienced, defense first banger that the blue line so desperately needs.

The biggest factor could be Jagr though. If he doesn't hit his option triggers, that leaves a whole myriad of options with the budget and lineup. If Jagr doesn't come back, and Shanny doesn't come back, and you decide to really build the top 2 forward lines around Gomez and Drury, can you say for sure that you want Avery back?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
IMO if it comes down to that, you have to go with Avery. The fact is there is nobody on this team that can do what he does. And I don't see anyone in the system that I liken to Avery. Like MJ said, if Girardi continues to improve (with guys like Sanguinetti, Sauer and Baranka on the way), Rozsival might just be easier to replace.

01-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Didn't Rangers management already call Avery a detriment?

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Didn't Rangers management already call Avery a detriment?
In the course of arbitration negotiations. I figure if they truly felt he was a detriment they would not have brought him back.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
And the Rangers have no cap room. Unless they wanna lose Rozival.
Avery is more valuable than Rozsival right now, especially with Sanguinetti coming up. Basically our entire defense aside from Marc Staal may possibly be retooled this summer anyway.. so unless Rozsy really steps it up come playoff time, he's expendable.

Old
01-05-2008, 11:04 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
Avery is more valuable than Rozsival right now, especially with Sanguinetti coming up. Basically our entire defense aside from Marc Staal may possibly be retooled this summer anyway.. so unless Rozsy really steps it up come playoff time, he's expendable.
If we haven't signed Rozsival by playoff time (assuming we make the playoffs) and he really steps up as you say, he's gonna cost us more than he'd cost us now.

Again, I'm not saying we should re-sign him now, just that Sather's got quite a job trying to juggle the numbers.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 11:04 AM
In The Flesh

**** Sather, if he doesn't resign Avery he should be fired

If its Rozi or Avery, bye bye Rozi we got enough young D

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
I love what Avery brings, but he has missed alot of time due to injury and doesn't show up on the stat sheet enough to earn 3.5 million per.

Dr. Ogrodnick is offline   Reply With Quote