HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Domi might sue a talk show host

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 02:36 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
I don't want this to get too snarky, but you're essentially saying that some people in the media get free speech and others don't. I'm not saying the station is wrong for suspending him, but I think it's unfortunate that stations have to take the such defensive postures.

(...)

No argument here. Again, just disappointing that stations sometimes have to do this to save face. Forget the sheep mentality, he publicy stated he was joking, despite the bad taste. Apology should = end of story.

(...)

Me neither, but I know that bad jokes don't count. Nothing I've seen or heard in this article suggests he honestly thinks Domi beats his wife. It'd be a different story if he said something like "I've seen Domi's wife take a few good hits".
Generally, for something to be defended as a joke, it has to be recognizable as a joke. I'm not sure this qualifies. If Domi does sue over this, the judge is not going to throw it out just because Romani says it's a joke. "Hey, it was just a joke" isn't a defense that's going to give you unrestricted freedom to say any damned thing you feel like.

Quote:
One at a time...
1) You admit that there's context for the joke,
Context being that comedians tell jokes, and sports-talk hosts talk sports.

Quote:
and that next to no one is in a position to know him off the ice. So when a guy says "I imagine..." (as in "I imagine she can take a good shot") we should all take it as fact at face value without seeking an informed source?
Lots of people DO take stuff they hear on the radio/see on tv/read on the internet or Page 6 at face value. Lots of people aren't that smart.

And, "Dandyman" IS one of the sources people would go to. Supposedly. He's a sports media guy, right? Do people listen to his show because they think he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about? I don't think many people listen to sports-shows hosted by people they don't think know anything.

Quote:
Baaaa, baaaa says the sheep.
baaaaaack aaaaatcha.

Quote:
2) What the hell does the Roy incident have to do with it? Is it a documented fact that this happened, because as far as I know, there are no "incidents" involving Domi beating women, despite people's opinions of him as a player.
Does something have to be documented for it to shape peoples' opinions? Given the number of urban legends that are taken as gospel by a large percentage of the population, I think the answer to that is obvious.

Quote:
3) As regards the people in Ottawa you refer to, see the Baa baa in #2. They got a public apology for the bad taste, and it should be left at that.
4) Wife-beating, racist, dirty jokes are both laughed at and frowned at by different people in different contexts and situations (a dressing room is different from a work luncheon for example). Some do find them hilarious, some don't. Some should be taken seriously, some shouldn't. Jokes are jokes. This one was probably good for a chuckle for 4 or 5 people out of 300 million (or the thousands of listeners in this case), but was in bad taste and warranted an apology. That should have been the end of it.
It should be the end of it if Domi is satisfied with the action that was taken. Pat Morrison and JFJF did the right thing by sticking up for their guy, and if that got "Dandyman" suspended, well, he's the one who put himself in that position.

For me, it comes down to 2 things.

-How would I feel if I was Romani's employer?

-How would I feel if I was Tie Domi?

If I owned that radio station, I'd be embarrassed and upset. I'd be very concerned about giving somebody with such bad judgment a public forum. I'd have him on a very short leash from now on. I'd be hauling out the ratings book to see if he's worth the trouble.

If I was Tie Domi, I'd be mad as hell at this guy (especially if I already had a history of run-ins with this station.) For me, I think seeing the guy suspended and raked over the coals would be good enough. I think I'd be "the bigger man".

Old
04-09-2004, 07:31 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Again, not condoning the statement or anything, but if that were true Conan, Leno, Letterman, John Stewart, Howard Stern et al would be getting as many weeks of suspension as they would air time. The media, as the main vehicle of the free speech (I am not a flag-waving, gun-toting American or anything), has to be given lee-way on these types of issues. Unless someone goes on the air and lies saying "I saw Domi beat his wife after church last Sunday", people should chill out.

Context people. Without jumping to our own conclusions as to what he meant, it would seem as though this guy was suggesting that Domi plays hockey against his wife and they drop the gloves often (are there reports of Domi punching anyone anywhere else? I hate the guy, but I've never heard of him having a reputation as being uncontrolled in public). I know it seems obvious that he was suggesting something else, and perhaps in poor taste, but lighten up. Unless Domi has something to hide, he should be aware of his rep as a "hockey player", shake his head, and get on with life. Oversensitivity is killing this continent.
The point is, this is how stupid rumors, that can hurt a person's reputation in the NHL and business, get started. Just an off the cuff rumour can really damage a person's ability to get endorsements and the like.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:08 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
The point is, this is how stupid rumors, that can hurt a person's reputation in the NHL and business, get started. Just an off the cuff rumour can really damage a person's ability to get endorsements and the like.
while not giving an opinion on things, Domi's reputation damages his ability to get endorsements. Hes an NHL Fighter with a history of suspensions. That alone will stop him, not a silly comment by an idiot radio personality.

the only way a radio comment would hurt a guys "endorsement ability" is if they were true.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:13 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
while not giving an opinion on things, Domi's reputation damages his ability to get endorsements. Hes an NHL Fighter with a history of suspensions. That alone will stop him, not a silly comment by an idiot radio personality.

the only way a radio comment would hurt a guys "endorsement ability" is if they were true.
You're pretty naive if you don't think false rumors can hurt a guy's "endorsement ability".

Old
04-09-2004, 08:23 AM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
You're pretty naive if you don't think false rumors can hurt a guy's "endorsement ability".
You're pretty naive if you think Domi has "Endorsement Ability"

Hell, Ben Wallace, the 2 time NBA defensive player of the year and 2 time consective All-Star Starter still can't land a major Shoe Deal. Whats Domi going to endorse?

My local radio "crew" keep showing images of Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds Then and Now, and saying they take roids. I dont hear any lawsuits being thrown around. Stuff like this happens every day. And fact is, if it wasnt said in Ottawa there would be no issue. If this was, for arguments sake, a statement made by Local Detroit Sports Talk Radio guys, Domi wouldnt even comment.

Old
04-09-2004, 08:58 AM
discostu

Quote:
I can't stand the guy, but if you don't think that one of the most popular players in one of the most lucrative hockey markets doesn't have endorsement ability, then you're being naive.

Not every endorsement deal is a multi-million shoe deal. There's plenty of opportunities for a guy like Domi to make money, and I'm pretty certain he does a decent job of capitalizing on it.

Old
04-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
My local radio "crew" keep showing images of Sammy Sosa and Barry Bonds Then and Now, and saying they take roids. I dont hear any lawsuits being thrown around. Stuff like this happens every day. And fact is, if it wasnt said in Ottawa there would be no issue. If this was, for arguments sake, a statement made by Local Detroit Sports Talk Radio guys, Domi wouldnt even comment.
Considering the number of alligations by other players w/ regards to steriod use by at least Bonds, one can kind of guess that he may have used them. When your trainer is named in the investigation, you may have some legal issues. Then again, noone really knows except for the MLB/players association who have access to the results of the testing.

However, I think this presents a better arguement for Romani then the Leno/O'Brien comment. It is different if the statement is part of a punchline. The Punchline is a joke and viewed as such. If someone comes out and states something as fact (I didn't hear the comment, so I can't speak on it) then it isn't seen as a joke (by anyone). And that is where you become liable.

I hope Domi doesn't take legal action, but I am glad that Romani was suspended.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:

Hell, Ben Wallace, the 2 time NBA defensive player of the year and 2 time consective All-Star Starter still can't land a major Shoe Deal. Whats Domi going to endorse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I can't stand the guy, but if you don't think that one of the most popular players in one of the most lucrative hockey markets doesn't have endorsement ability, then you're being naive.

Not every endorsement deal is a multi-million shoe deal. There's plenty of opportunities for a guy like Domi to make money, and I'm pretty certain he does a decent job of capitalizing on it.
Ditto what discostu said. Domi is likely the most successful enforcer in the NHL in terms of endorsements. Whether you like the guy or not, he doesn't deserve to have his good name bismerched by a so-called journalist.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Fact is, if Sosa and Bonds sued, they'd have to testify and be cross-examined on the allegations and there would be a ton of witnesses. They wouldn't dare expose themselves to that type of examination with regard to their steriod use. There is likely substantial evidence against Sosa and Bonds, and that would all come out. They quite simply would have a hard time winning a case.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:30 AM
YellHockey*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
And, "Dandyman" IS one of the sources people would go to. Supposedly. He's a sports media guy, right? Do people listen to his show because they think he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about? I don't think many people listen to sports-shows hosted by people they don't think know anything.
Well, you'd be wrong then.

The Dandyman WAS (yes!) the least knowledgeable person on Ottawa radio. The only thing he knew about was the spread.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:24 PM
s7ark
McDavid!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
If I owned that radio station, I'd be embarrassed and upset. I'd be very concerned about giving somebody with such bad judgment a public forum. I'd have him on a very short leash from now on. I'd be hauling out the ratings book to see if he's worth the trouble.

If I was Tie Domi, I'd be mad as hell at this guy (especially if I already had a history of run-ins with this station.) For me, I think seeing the guy suspended and raked over the coals would be good enough. I think I'd be "the bigger man".
This is exactly what I'm saying. It was wrong because it was in bad taste and perhaps not the proper forum for such a "joke". I was drawing the line at the whole lawsuit mentality. If I were Domi I'd be mad as hell. If I were George Bush, I'd probably be mad as hell with all the "slanderous remarks" that are made about him in every facet of public life, appropriate and inappropriate. Public figures unfortunately have to bear the brunt of this more than the average joe like you or me. All this over a statement that began with "One would imagine"... not even a statement, just an ill-advised, off-the-cuff statement based on supposition and not meant to be taken literally. It's all very sad.

Closed Thread