HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Naslund: Tom [Renney] probably was ahead of his time

Old
01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Fair point, but I don't think it's fair to look at how he played in Buffalo and expect him to produce the same here in NY. According to those numbers, Drury has averaged 0.74 ppg over his career. Right now he's on pace for 0.68. That's nearly on pace for how he's performed his whole career.

Drury is not the one who is underachieving. Jagr is.
Thank you.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 03:05 PM
ThirdEye

If Drury posts roughly a point per game in the playoffs like he's done the last two seasons I'll forget about his contract in 2 seconds.

Same with Gomez. He's been averaging over a PPG in his last four playoff appearances. That's on par or better than the likes of Heatley, Thornton, etc...

These guys show up when it matters most. I wouldn't dwell on Drury's performance this season thus far. It would stupid to do so

If anything, the worry should lie on whether or not Henrik and the D can redeem themselves.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
Fair point, but I don't think it's fair to look at how he played in Buffalo and expect him to produce the same here in NY. According to those numbers, Drury has averaged 0.74 ppg over his career. Right now he's on pace for 0.68. That's nearly on pace for how he's performed his whole career.

Drury is not the one who is underachieving.
Was he expected to come in here and play to his rookie standards? No.

The Rangers didn't offer him his contract to perform to his 50 point production of 4-5 years ago.

It's silly to use his career average as an argument because 70% of it is irrelevant.

Given what he did last year, not even factoring his production, he has been underachieving. He's been invisible many games this season and hasn't been as effective defensively, at least for what you would expect.

Doesn't matter if you don't expect him to flourish in the situation he's been put in this year, to this date, he has underachieved regardless of the circumstances surrounding him.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 03:09 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
If Drury posts roughly a point per game in the playoffs like he's done the last two seasons I'll forget about his contract in 2 seconds.

Same with Gomez. He's been averaging over a PPG in his last four playoff appearances. That's on par or better than the likes of Heatley, Thornton, etc...

These guys show up when it matters most. I wouldn't dwell on Drury's performance this season thus far. It would stupid to do so

If anything, the worry should lie on whether or not Henrik and the D can redeem themselves.
Exactly, people need to put aside their hatred on these two's contracts and not worry about what fans of other teams have to say about them, when they're put to the test, they get an A+, they showed up and have displayed everything we've needed them and expected them to, with Gomez, probably more so, but to an extent, both of them..

The second half of this season and in the Playoffs they both will show up BIG time and the only thing you guys will be saying about them is that we have to take crap because other fans will tell us that we bought the cup.

Old
01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Exactly, people need to put aside their hatred on these two's contracts and not worry about what fans of other teams have to say about them, when they're put to the test, they get an A+, they showed up and have displayed everything we've needed them and expected them to, with Gomez, probably more so, but to an extent, both of them..

The second half of this season and in the Playoffs they both will show up BIG time and the only thing you guys will be saying about them is that we have to take crap because other fans will tell us that we bought the cup.
um excuse me but I'm defending his contract. Drury earned every bit of that 7 mil per. how about finding a real argument for why he's been terrible half the games he's played than assuming it has anything to do with perception people have because of his contract.

Old
01-05-2008, 03:16 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
um excuse me but I'm defending his contract. Drury earned every bit of that 7 mil per. how about finding a real argument for why he's been terrible half the games he's played than assuming it has anything to do with perception people have because of his contract.
Drury earned every bit of what 7 mil per? If you mean the last two seasons, he wasn't making close to that..?

And if your talking about this season, you just said he's been terrible in half the games he's played, so how is he worth 7 million?

I am finding an argument, an argument that you think is irrelevant, therefore this won't end, I've been agreed with for the most part, and people know that Drury isn't far off his regular totals at all, and that he is playing like we expected him to play.

37 goals last year or not, as a whole, Drury is playing like he can, and could increase a tad at will, and he will eventually. Give him time, especially during the playoffs.

Old
01-05-2008, 03:21 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Drury earned every bit of what 7 mil per? If you mean the last two seasons, he wasn't making close to that..?

And if your talking about this season, you just said he's been terrible in half the games he's played, so how is he worth 7 million?

I am finding an argument, an argument that you think is irrelevant, therefore this won't end, I've been agreed with for the most part, and people know that Drury isn't far off his regular totals at all, and that he is playing like we expected him to play.

37 goals last year or not, as a whole, Drury is playing like he can, and could increase a tad at will, and he will eventually. Give him time, especially during the playoffs.
I made my point about points and it was to counter your stupid one that takes into consideration 9 years ago, as well as disregards games missed etc. That is beyond silly.

He has been disappointing this season because he has been invisible, at times bad defensively and for the most part inconsistent. Certainly NOT the player he was expected to be, not so much because I expected him to score 37 goals again, although 30 would be reasonable. It doesn't take a great hockey mind to notice when a player isn't involved.

Old
01-05-2008, 03:29 PM
94now

Hey, this is not a Drury thread. Mods are asleep as usual... Weekend obviously.

Renney is a good coach. He fits new NHL much better then the old one.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Exactly. He was given big money for "good" offensive production (by no means "great") and for the intangibles he brings. IMO he was offered too much, but if the team goes far in the playoffs a couple of times over the life of the deal, his contract will have been worth it.

In fact "good" is the way I'd describe most of this team including its coach - by no means championship caliber but certainly better than its current .500 status.
we paid a premium for future leadership, great work ethic and clutch performance.
Last minute equalizers, I'd like to have Drury on my team.

Renney is a good coach but I don't like his press conference jibberish

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote