HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

First Half Grades

Old
01-05-2008, 06:42 AM
shon

vCash: 500
I can't believe anyone would give Staal a highter rating than Girardi.Watch the whole game not the name on the shirt/

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
I can't believe anyone would give Staal a highter rating than Girardi.Watch the whole game not the name on the shirt/
Sorry, but Girardi's been borderline horrendous at times this year. Staal's had a few bad nights, but even when he's bad he hasn't been at Girardi-level bad.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 12:44 PM
in the hall

Goalies
Lundqvist: A if not for December, he'd be perfect.
Valiquette: B+ he's been as good as you can hope a back up can be filling in and his attitude is great.

Forwards
Avery: B+ when he plays he is still effective
Betts: A- probably the most underrated player on this team. he's really stepped up his defensive game this year imo.
Callahan: D he hasn't been directly responsible for anything detrimental but he's been disappointing and invisible far too often this season.
Drury: B- fairly inconsistent and invisible more than you'd like. don't care how his points correlate to his career, he's been a little disappointing imo being the steady player he's supposed to be.
Dubinsky: B if only he'd start getting points for all his efforts, he's been very impressive and has showed rapid development. oddly enough i notice him most often among all forwards creating chances in the offensive zone.
Gomez: A- can't dismiss his dismal start but he's finally getting comfortable and looks like every bit the player we hoped for.
Hollweg: C+ personally think he gets overly criticized. he brings his game most nights and it usually is effective.
Hossa: C+ he's been everything i'd expect going into the season, and finally it seems renney has realized he's not going to get any better than what he currently is.
Jagr: B- its easy to give jagr a lower grade given the expectations however he's still been one of our more effective forwards offensively at times, but its not enough to cover for his defensive woes, and obviously his disappointing season factors in.
Orr: B i've been pleased with him. he hasn't frustrated me at all this season.
Prucha: C+ i love prucha, you can't help but to root for him and he does everything to make you happy but he can't score which is essential for him.
Shanahan: B+ shanny's been about as good as i'd hope for him to be if not better. he hasn't been as dynamic as last year but he's come up big at times.
Straka: A- i said betts was the most underrated player earlier, check that, its either straka or betts.

Defensemen
Tyutin: B+ he is just progressing as we hoped. i like that he's getting involved offensively more, he certainly is capable of it. he's had a few rough moments but overall i've been very pleased.
Girardi: B great start to the season but he's been on a rapid decline. hopefully he'll get it together soon.
Roszival: A it wasn't that long ago where i couldn't stand him and malik, but he's been a wonder for us since last year. not quite a #1, but certainly worthy of top pairing status. he's been solid on the defensive end and great offensively.
Staal: B+ he's been incredibly steady, maybe our most consistent defenseman, which is bizarre considering his age and experience. you can tell he's gaining more confidence, taking more risks. he's been the defense's answer to dubinsky.
Malik: C- can't stand him. honestly, i think he's been directly responsible for more goals than the rest of team combined. i can't remember a player, even poti - who i disliked more, that has made more turnovers, stupid penalties, and inadvertent deflections, all that lead to goals against. imo, front office is finally realizing how much of a liability he is and i think he'll be lucky if he's still on the team by the end of february.
Mara: B i used to think he doesn't get enough credit, but its more that he gets overly criticized at times. he's solid all around, a bit frustrating since he has obvious talent but it doesn't work for some reason. he's not liability, but he doesn't do anything extra.
Strudwick: B his true value has been off the ice, but not factoring that in, he's been great when he's played. you can't ask him to do more than he has. solid in his own zone, and smart.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sorry, but Girardi's been borderline horrendous at times this year. Staal's had a few bad nights, but even when he's bad he hasn't been at Girardi-level bad.
I think i would agree with this, but I also agree with the flipside of this argument as well.

Girardi has been borderline #1 defenseman at times this year, and even though staal has had some amazing nights, he has yet to be Girard-level good.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 01:37 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
Girardi has been borderline #1 defenseman at times this year, and even though staal has had some amazing nights, he has yet to be Girard-level good.
you mean a #1 for us right?

Old
01-05-2008, 02:09 PM
dank

it'd be interesting to do an average of all the grades given..

there are some complete disagreements in some of them.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
it'd be interesting to do an average of all the grades given..

there are some complete disagreements in some of them.
IMO, if any, Inferno's grades are barely off, they are pretty spot on.

The worst on the list will have to go to Prucha and Callahan because in their past we've seen them do things so much better but just aren't placing themselves in a category in which we would like to keep them.

And Malik is Malik, he wouldn't get an A+ on these boards even if he played amazing the rest of the season, scored 10 goals and was a +50, that's how much people hate him, but I agree with his grade.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Petemo

Anyone giving Hossa an F obviously is just a blind hater.

Yeah, he's not producing, and often got unmerited 1st/2nd line minutes towards the beginning of the season, but he is EASILY in the top 2 of defensive forwards on this team - if not the best. Has been our best PK'er and a SOLID 3rd/4th liner. Anyone rating him below Callahan is just oblivious.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPacPBH View Post
Anyone giving Hossa an F obviously is just a blind hater.

Yeah, he's not producing, and often got unmerited 1st/2nd line minutes towards the beginning of the season, but he is EASILY in the top 2 of defensive forwards on this team - if not the best. Has been our best PK'er and a SOLID 3rd/4th liner. Anyone rating him below Callahan is just oblivious.
no way, no chance is hossa our best penalty killer bro. That honor resides with Blair Betts, who is probably the best penalty killing forward in the entire national hockey league.

Old
01-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Petemo

Okay thats probably true.

I'm not gonna disagree with that at all.

Still though, he doesn't deserve and F, and I'm a big Hossa critic.

Petemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPacPBH View Post
Okay thats probably true.

I'm not gonna disagree with that at all.

Still though, he doesn't deserve and F, and I'm a big Hossa critic.
agreed, i gave him a C+

Old
01-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I gave hiim an F for missing endless scoring chances, playing with out confidence and taking bad penalties at bad times. You need to find a way to score.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 06:34 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

I was about to write my own review, but i read in the hall's and that pretty much sums up how i feel.

Except i'd give Jagr a C- and heres why.

An average year (C is average) for Jagr is around 38 goals and hes on pace for 22. He's done enough offensively not to warrant anything under a C -BUT here's the big butt (lol) - hes the captian. And the captain of the team has to lead, the captain and the "go-to-guy", the star - has to be the difference maker, the game breaker - the player that turns a game around.

On more than 5 critical occasions, i'm not just talking normal chances but really critical points in a few games, hes had a chance to directly effect the game by scoring or making "the play" and hes failed to do it and the play comes DIRECTLY back into the defensive zone and results in a goal.

If Jagr has 20 goals (which is his average pace) right now instead of 11, this team is a 25 game winner no questions asked.

Adn i dont care if its because Nylander isnt here or Straka was hurt, or who was his center. He's had his chances. He's made his own in the past.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-05-2008 at 06:41 PM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Kostik

I think kids in the schools can be only glad that actual grades are done by results, not by expectations Because grades in this thread are not done based on results...

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

We have many good Penalty Killers - Hossa contributes nothing else and is by far not the best PK.

Whats up with people hating Orr/Hollwegg? they play their game and get some energy going. Not taking many bad penalties. Orr's presence in the line up protects our stars. He is needed to play every game. Wouldn't be against sitting Hollywood for more offense when needed

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Let me point this out about Hossa though:

He has never been the same after he got hurt last year. I recall we were all very high on him, (especially Renney) early in the season because he had been as good as Betts on the PK, and then he got hurt. We have never seen the same kind of play.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:24 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Goalies
Lundqvist: B+/A-
Valiquette: B

Henrik needs to get his head out of his you know what, but overall has been great. But I get a little concerned when his slump is perfectly timed with the decline of defense hmm. Vally, although his record may not show it, is a great backup and has really improved over the summer.

Forwards
Avery: B+
Betts: A+ The guys has no offense, but for what else he does (defensive game, plus he can be our 3rd goalie) makes him almost invaluable IMO.
Callahan: D Needs to step it up, ASAP
Drury: B+ After tonites goal, he's doing what we pay him for.
Dubinsky: B If he keeps pace, will easily become an A
Gomez: A+ Career year?
Hollweg: C Ehh, I love the hits and energy, could be better defensively, maybe help Betts out blocking all the shots.
Hossa: D/B Put him on the 4th line and he fits in, anywhere else, not so much.
Jagr: D+ My patience is really wearing thin for him. If he's not scoring, what else does he bring to the table?
Orr: B Slowly improving, is one of the most well rounded enforcers in the league.
Prucha: C I tried my hardest on my Accounting Final, and I got this grade. Since Prucha is giving it his all, I'll give him this. He needs to find his touch or it's time for him to go.
Shanahan: A- Damn, he does everything, very useful, if only he was 10 yrs younger.
Straka: B Great hustle and heart, but he is either doing too much or scared of shooting. Either way, it's hurting him.

Defensemen
Tyutin: B+ Hipcheck, hipcheck, hipcheck.
Girardi: A- Very solid, reliable, and becoming more offensive. Needs to find a balance between offense and defense, because his defensive game has slipped a little. His strength is what really impresses me, he plays with a mean streak and can really get guys off the puck, I love this guy.
Roszival: A- Maybe he needs to get used to Staal, but he seems to be clumsy/fumbling around as of late, the goals always seem to be coming in at the right time.
Staal: A Oh boy, I keep thinking he's a veteran out there, can't really ask for more at this stage in his career. I love him on this team.
Malik: F Trade please.
Mara: C I'd give him a higher grade, but for 3m, we need more out fo him. Rozie deserves this money, not Mara.
Strudwick: B Team guy, decent fill in D-man. I say keep him around but don't make him a regular.

Overall: C. they have the potential to be the best team in the East, but they always find ways to fall apart or not get it done. There is the second half of a season left, let's live up to the hype.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 12:36 PM
ohbaby

I don't think individual grades are fair. As a team they stand or fall. We have the same team as last years run, with a few improvements in getting Gomer and Drury. So on the whole, this first half was disapointing. More than faulting any individual effort, this team is not playing well together as a group. This is where their shortcomings fall. They have the overall personel, and talent to improve on last years march. They just need to play a little tighter as a group. And they have shown flashes as to what they can accompish. Hanks 6 shutouts for example. Thats a team effort. Just need that effort on a more consistent basis.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 12:57 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
I think kids in the schools can be only glad that actual grades are done by results, not by expectations Because grades in this thread are not done based on results...
a bit of flawed thinking.

kids don't get paid to go to school, thus creating expectation.

there is no rank in school. ie: first line, second line etc.

Old
01-06-2008, 01:44 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Goalies
Lundqvist: A-
Valiquette: B

Forwards
Avery: C-
Betts: A-
Callahan: D
Drury: C
Dubinsky: B-
Gomez: B+
Hollweg: D
Hossa: C-
Jagr: B-
Orr: B-
Prucha: C-
Shanahan: B
Straka: B

Defensemen
Tyutin: B+
Roszival: A-
Staal: B+
Malik: C
Mara: B-
Strudwick: C

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 09:46 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
My Grades:

Lundqvist: [A-] Solid, great effort every night, just a few inconsistancies.

Valiquette: [B-] Generally a good backup, although at times ineffetive.

Betts: [A-] Pefect at completing his role, an ideal 4th liner, great PKer.

Avery: [B] Needs to step up offensive, but good at his main role of agetating.

Callahan: [D+] Nothing compared to last year and what he is capable of.

Drury: [A-] Clutch goals, great effort, decent point total. Exactly as expeceted.

Dubinsky: [B+] Not much to say, completes his role well.

Gomez: [A] Goals and assists are right up there with what's expected

Hollweg: [D] Mediocre effort, bad penalties at bad times, all around iffy player.

Hossa: [C] Meh.

Jagr: [C] Needs to step it up big time, I know he will be in the B+ range soon.

Orr: [C] Fights, fights, and more fights. Thats about it.

Prucha: [D+] Maybe they are boos and not pruuus!

Shanahan: [A] Comes through in OT, great PKer, great leader, fan favorite.

Straka: [B+] Definatly coming along to be what he was last year.

Tyutin: [A] What a suprise! Great all around D-man, works well with his linemate

Roszival: [A-] Shoot the puck more and he'll be a A.

Staal: [A] Just as his brothers, great player and gives you the effort.

Malik: [C-] Giveaways, takeaways, and penalties are his game.

Mara: [C] Not great. Not great at all.

Girardi: [A] Excellent d-man, has the PP touch this year!

Strudwick: [C] Well, he did have the game winner in Pittsburgh...

Renney: [C-] Enough said, Im not even going to comment.