HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

No Surprise Here...

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 12:02 PM
Mr Brownstone

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
No Surprise Here...

Zhitnik to test FA waters

I think it's imperative that we re-sign Zhitnik if we want to be a playoff team next year. In no way, should we take a defenseman at the draft, that he would be ready to go next year. So therefore, minus Zhitnik it would be:
McKee/Kalinin
Tallinder/Jillson
Campbell or Fitzpatrick/Brown

What does everyone think it will take to get Alexei signed? Maybe 3 year 12 million, or will he want Satan type or more money?

Old
04-08-2004, 12:27 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresIn05
Zhitnik to test FA waters

I think it's imperative that we re-sign Zhitnik if we want to be a playoff team next year. In no way, should we take a defenseman at the draft, that he would be ready to go next year. So therefore, minus Zhitnik it would be:
McKee/Kalinin
Tallinder/Jillson
Campbell or Fitzpatrick/Brown

What does everyone think it will take to get Alexei signed? Maybe 3 year 12 million, or will he want Satan type or more money?
It might not be based specifically on what he wants, but more on what he will command. It may also be affected by the CBA. The top teams might not be willing to send a lot of money his way because they already have 1 or 2 Dmen already ahead of him. And I'd have to think they wouldn't want to pay a lot of money under the new "cost certainty" plan for a third Dman. He's more likely to get higher offers from teams looking for a No.1 veteran. Since he supposedly said, he wants to be a Sabre, despite wanting to test the market, I think we should be able to resign him at an amount we'd be willing to pay. Otherwise, if he finds "greener pastures" then I think the money we save could bring in another solid Dman to add to our growing collection. Assuming Zhitnik doesn't return, but Patrick does, here is what we had at the end of the year that was pretty successful.

Patrick/Kalinin
Jillson/Tallinder
Brown/McKee
extras Campbell and Fitzpatrick.

However, I think they would seriously consider grabbing another top guy to play with Kalinin and use Patrick when needed. If Patrick retires, then it becomes an even bigger priority to replace Zhitnik with a similar type player.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Takeo

If Z was going to re-sign, it would have gone down by now IMO. Problem is our management lacks the proactive wherewithal to get it done. He's gone. That said, I think Darcy will line up a deal during the off-season involving Biron+ or Kotalik+ or whatever to bring in a top-4 guy.

Old
04-08-2004, 01:30 PM
Kruschiki

Is there anything down on the farm worth noting?

Old
04-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
Is there anything down on the farm worth noting?
No. Paetsch might become a 6th or 7th over time, but otherwise, not at all. Wideman, Morrow, and Adams might be our best hopes for the future. Ezhov is a possibility as a 4 or 5 at best.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:02 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Resigning Zhitnik this offseason is a must.

After resigning him we should go after a guy like Jason Smith or some other big name defensive free agent.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY

After resigning him we should go after a guy like Jason Smith or some other big name defensive free agent.
the Flyers?

Old
04-09-2004, 10:13 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
the Flyers?
I just started being a Flyer's fan this season and am now cheering for them in the playoff's. I just like their team's style and their grit , and besides Tony Amonte has alway's been my favorite player in the NHL,and when he went to Philly is when I started not hating them and now am a fan of them....

Old
04-09-2004, 02:21 PM
future consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBOY

I couldn't agree more. WE have to resign Z and getting another top 4 d-man would be great. Smith would be ideal IMO.

Closed Thread