HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Official GDT: Devils @ Flyers GAME 1 7:30PM

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 08:36 AM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

vCash: 500
Excellent game by the Flyers- what a joy it was to see the Evils lose last night. I'm so glad your team is playing opposite nights to us, if last nights game was any indication of what's to come, I'll be planted in front of the tube watching the rest of this series!

Old
04-09-2004, 08:46 AM
FlyersHomer DM03

both of kapanen's calls were BS, especially the slashing on the stick, not after jersey's had all but one of the power plays. Kapanen should get a star just for being Kapanen, and I wish more players would play like him, he just skates extra hard, and is invaluable in the defensive zone both even and shorthanded. We don't kill half the Jersey penalties without Kapanen.

robert esche was outstanding, only one of the goals was his fault, but he stopped so many more that goalies aren't expected to stop. However, I've been saying, if there will be a downfall for Esche this playoffs, it will be on rebounds.

If I could have counted the number of times I said "jesus christ malakhov". The guy just didn't have his game tonight--he lost the puck in front of esche once, and just passively tried to clear the puck.

As some of you have been saying, Jersey's going to come out ready to play for game two, if we match the emotion, and maybe grab an early lead--this series could be coming to an end sooner than later

Old
04-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers26
You should be fine for atleast the next 2 games, as the boys will be on ESPN2!
I never, ever thought I'd say this, but THANK GOD FOR ESPN!!!! The MSG feed is so godawful and Emerick and that other moron so annoying I gladly look forward to whoever ESPN assigns to the game (Clement/Thorne, maybe?). And while I seem to have nowhere near the problem with the ESPN announcers most people have, it still is a sign of how much I dislike the MSG feed to say that.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:36 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
I never, ever thought I'd say this, but THANK GOD FOR ESPN!!!! The MSG feed is so godawful and Emerick and that other moron so annoying I gladly look forward to whoever ESPN assigns to the game (Clement/Thorne, maybe?). And while I seem to have nowhere near the problem with the ESPN announcers most people have, it still is a sign of how much I dislike the MSG feed to say that.
Wow, they Devs guys must be pretty bad. I just hate Thorne and Levy. Jackson, "Dorny", and Insane Moronic Boy aren't much better. I usually just turn down the volume and listen to Saunders and Propp.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:40 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Emrick is not annoying, he's hands down one of the best play-by-play announcers in hockey. As for that other moron Chico, well nice guy but he can be annoying at times so I'll gave you that at least.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
ESPN did the Flyers game? I find that hard to beleive that they would even try to put up the NHL product against the Frozen Four. Oh well, not like they cared anyways, who called the game?

Old
04-09-2004, 10:58 AM
GBailey93

Send a message via AIM to GBailey93
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
Wow, they Devs guys must be pretty bad. I just hate Thorne and Levy. Jackson, "Dorny", and Insane Moronic Boy aren't much better. I usually just turn down the volume and listen to Saunders and Propp.

I'd rather do the color commentary myself then listen to Propp. What a boob he is.

Old
04-09-2004, 11:53 AM
jplush76

Send a message via AIM to jplush76 Send a message via Yahoo to jplush76
The MSG feed is definately god awful. The quality is from 1970. I couldn't even see the puck and I have a 36" screen.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:10 PM
paxtang

I've always liked Doc, he's very unbiased. Can't please everyone I guess.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Emrick is not annoying, he's hands down one of the best play-by-play announcers in hockey. As for that other moron Chico, well nice guy but he can be annoying at times so I'll gave you that at least.
He's not too badly biased, I'll give you that, but there's something about his voice that has never set right with me. Then again, I've seen plenty of people defend the Buffalo announcer, and I also find myself annoyed by his voice (too freaking nasally for me to deal with). I guess it was more Chico that got me going...but I'm also of the opinion most commentary guys are worthless anyway (or I want to shove them out of an airplane somewhere over the mid-Atlantic), so it could just be me.

Of course, I actually like Gary Thorne's voice, even if the guy always seems to get names wrong. I guess I'm just weird.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Of course, I actually like Gary Thorne's voice, even if the guy always seems to get names wrong. I guess I'm just weird.
Thorne's voice is perfect for the dramatic event, such a his call when Arnott scored the OT against the Stars to clinch the cup for us, he nailed it perfectly. But yeah sometimes you wonder if he knows any of the players who are on the ice at times.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:46 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBailey93
I'd rather do the color commentary myself then listen to Propp. What a boob he is.
propp is definitely a bit too biased, any penalty on the flyers is automatically a bad one, but i'd rather listen to him overall rather than "coatsey"

Old
04-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I will agree with that Emrick is a great PBP guy, but Chico is to Bland...I don't know if it was just me or the beer and pot but the MSG feed didn't look sharp either.

Old
04-09-2004, 02:35 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
we have to keep up the intenisty, play the whole game, and not sit back after we attaina comfy lead
Agreed...If we play the whole game like we did the first period regardless of the score we will be very hard to beat.

The first period Hitchcock had 2 forecheckers going in wearing down an inexpirienced defense and it worked. We get a lead and then he want's everyone back. I don't get it, why not just go for the jugular. I would have the team be aggressive with a 2 man forecheck the whole game and pull back into a defensive shell with maybe 5 mins to go in the third.

Can't wait for game 2, hope the boys come out with the same intensity because Brodeur is one of the best goalies around and is good at bouncing back after a loss.

My Notes from the game.

Amonte-Zhamnov-JR

The line looked good all night skating very well I was impressed by the hussell of Amonte all night especially getting back on d. JR was his usuall fiesty self, made some nice plays and played aggresively considering he had no jaw protection..he is a warrioir. Zhamnov also played well and IMO he is underrated defensively.

Leclair-Zus-Reechi

This line was little quit but was arguably the best forechecking line we had all night. ZUS and LeClair are so hard to take off the puck and did some really good work down low and just couldn't finish of any chances. Rex was full of energy as usuall throwing checks around early, although many of them weren't big hits it created a spark for the rest of the team.

Gags-Prims-Kaps

Oue best line of the night. Awesome on the forecheck and great in thier own end. Prims scored a big goal driving to the net showing that we can take advantage of the Devils defense. Gags goal was pure hussell, he skated hard to the corner to pressure the defense and went right to the net to pick up Kapppys rebound to put it through the 5 hole. He was skating hard all night and made some key hits on the forecheck to keep the puck in the offensive zone. Kaps played great as well, he took 2 penalties but the PK was great to bail him out. Some were saying he didn't tie up Elias on the rebound but he didn't have a chance. Earlier in the game ha made a spectacular defensive play to tie up I think either Gomez or Gionta on a rebound that Esche was out of position to get had a shot been taken. Kappy is the most underrated player on this team.

Brash-Lappy-Radio

With a limited role they played really solid. Every shift they were out there they finished all thier checks and worked extremely hard on the forecheck. The key was no stupid penalties from this line, sometimes Brash and Lappy try to get to aggresive and get called for retaliation type penalties and stuff, but the composed themselves.

KJ-Rags

Were superb all night especially in thier own end, which is not thier fortay. KJ skating ability ws shown last night getting in the rush a few times and the rotations looked good to cover for him on the back end.

Markov-Malakov

I thought was our weakest pair on the ice. Malakov although I thought this was one of his better games for us, still has yet to show me enthusiasim on the ice. He need s to be more intense and use his size. I never seen a dman wiith that type of size play so soft. Markov had an off night, he played decent but didn't look like he was all there at times.

Timmander-Pitkanen

Surprise of the night. Pitkanen playing in his first PO game did not look intimidtaed at all, both he and timmander looked really good and played well in thier own end as well.

Esche

Wow. For all the naysayers I hope you are all back on the Chico bandwagon. He was stellar and made some huge saves all night. He did let out some big rebounds but looked like he did in December and January.

Our PK was great all night and really played hard in front of Esche. Our PP was OK, considering we coulkd have had a couple of more chances, but i'd rather have few chances with lots of flow, then a game full of penalties killing momentom.

The most unheralded stat is the blocked shot and the flyers blocked tons of shots throughout the whole game.

All and All it was a great night for the team, coaches and fans. The Devils played hard all night as well and this was a very entertaining game. I thought Flyers/Devils games were supposed to be boring.

My 3 Stars:

1)Esche

2)Primeau

3)Gags/Kappy

Let's keep up the good work and win on Saturday.

Let's Go Flyers

Old
04-09-2004, 03:02 PM
FlyHigh

man, with all this niedermayer talk, KJ completely outplayed him. Two assists and was very solid all night.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:16 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh
man, with all this niedermayer talk, KJ completely outplayed him. Two assists and was very solid all night.
Johnsson played great, but Niedermayer is in another league all together. The Flyers better not forget this.

Markov was our worst player last night, he really has to pull it together.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:24 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Johnsson played great, but Niedermayer is in another league all together. The Flyers better not forget this.

Markov was our worst player last night, he really has to pull it together.
I know Neids is very good, I'd give him the Norris, but I was disappointed to see so much clutching and grabbing from him. Also took that penalty which gave the flyers the PP and the goal, but KJ took a slashing one too, so i guess it evens out.

Closed Thread