HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The New York Rangers

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 07:13 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
I don't like the idea of drafting goalies, but this is one year where I doubt even I would complain too much about landing Montoya at 14 (assuming Schwartz is already gone, and of course assuming Montoya is still there) assuming the ratings don't change too much by the time late June rolls around. Can't wait for the THN draft issue

Then again, if both goalies are gone by 14, it means some decent skater or two should still be available as well, and EDM can pick a goalie with the other 1st or the 2nd, or not at all if no one jumps out at them.

as for trading up, the pick that interests me is CHI at #3 to land Olesz. 7 is also of interest because of the likelyhood of picking up either Tukonen/Barker, or Thalen (I can't fathom why he wouldn't enter the draft, even if he has to give up college eligibility - why risk falling under the new CBA's cap, could be significantly lower than what he could get now? And that's if the NCAA doesn't change the rule in time, which has been appealed and he may be allowed to enter the draft without leaving college early anyways if that appeal is successful)

Last edited by speeds: 04-08-2004 at 07:17 PM.
Old
04-08-2004, 08:02 PM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
at seven there is a possibility of Wolski being available, would you take him since he's a sniper other than Tukonen or Thelen?

Old
04-08-2004, 08:09 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
at seven there is a possibility of Wolski being available, would you take him since he's a sniper other than Tukonen or Thelen?
sure, yeah, I'd consider all kinds of guys there, I haven't really read enough yet to narrow it down to who I'd pick.

I guess my point is just that in moving up to 7 you are gonna get someone pretty good; someone you like will almost certainly be available

Old
04-09-2004, 08:41 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
i thought the draft consensus this year were there were about 6 great players but then between 7 and 15 they were as good as each other or am i wrong?

Old
04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
(2) PIT - same story as WSH, except they don't have a ton of money. IF money problems are tha bad then MAYBE they will trade the pick for good young depth. EDM could be a player in that case. Personally, I think PIT will just go ahead and draft whoever they see at #2, probably Malkin from what I've read
I am not really sure where to post this because there are a couple of draft threads going but;

On Spectors today, it is rumoured that Pittsburgh maybe willing to shop their first round pick.

Not that Spectors is a real credible source but....

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

Old
04-09-2004, 12:43 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
i thought the draft consensus this year were there were about 6 great players but then between 7 and 15 they were as good as each other or am i wrong?
depends who you ask.

I've read all kinds of things about this year's draft. Some say the top 8 is better this year than last, but after that it drops off quickly. Some say the top 2 is great but after that it drops off quickly, or that the second tier starts at about 14-17 (depending on who opts in from the NCAA)

From what i've read so far, Ovechkin, Olesz, Malkin, Barker, Tukonen, Schremp seem like the top tier, and perhaps add Schwartz and Thalen to that list

Old
04-09-2004, 12:48 PM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
I am not really sure where to post this because there are a couple of draft threads going but;

On Spectors today, it is rumoured that Pittsburgh maybe willing to shop their first round pick.

Not that Spectors is a real credible source but....

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html
IF they move it, and IF there are 3 or 4 guys that they like at #2, then the obvious trade partners are those right below them. Any of those teams might be willing to move up if they like someone enough at 2. Pit might still get a guy they like at 6, so even teh Rangers could be a player, given how many extra picks they have.

I could see EDM making a strong push for that pick, but it's hard to offer comparable value if a team like CLB at 4 makes PIT a decent offer, and PIT thinks they might get their guy at #4 anyways.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
depends who you ask.

I've read all kinds of things about this year's draft. Some say the top 8 is better this year than last, but after that it drops off quickly. Some say the top 2 is great but after that it drops off quickly, or that the second tier starts at about 14-17 (depending on who opts in from the NCAA)

From what i've read so far, Ovechkin, Olesz, Malkin, Barker, Tukonen, Schremp seem like the top tier, and perhaps add Schwartz and Thalen to that list
Pichard is coming on hard though and is having a great playoff - but we may have to move up a bit to get him. Here is what X-Sharkie has to say about him and his POV is pretty solid:

F ALEXANDRE PICARD: This guy is great.... A very akward skating stride, pretty quick but not elite but still considered fast. He has been compared to Miroslav Satan and I say he could devolope into a Jarome Iginla kind of player...he has awesome shooting skills. Very good hands, great instincts, and loves to shoot, simply loves to score, goes to the net extremely hard. He's not all show though, he shows captain like qualities....He hustles every shift, every nite, plays extremely hard, doesnt mind hitting but isn't a powerforward...good size at 6-2 200 pounds. He is a work horse for Lewiston...always catches my eye.... A potential elite scorer with more to his game...hard working on defense as well. Might slip because he didnt score like a mad man. Honestly one of my favroite players in the draft.

Yeah I like the part about awsome shooting skills. Think about a Picard-Pouliot-Hemsky line in a few years

Closed Thread