HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
11-09-2007, 10:01 PM
RabidBadger

vCash: 500
Not to toot my own horn, but Shane Connelly was the guy I said needed to be huge and he was tonight with a 43 save shutout. Bucky has had some good fortune against the Sioux in recent years. If theBadgers sweep NoDak it will be a huge confidence booster for the team going into a long stretch of tough games.

Old
11-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

I saw tonight's game and I'll finish what I started on the Sioux thread.

First off, I have to tip my hat to UND, they pretty much dominanted every facet of the game. Lamoureux was very sharp. I thought Connelly was very good and he absolutely robbed Miller of a sure goal getting that paddle down across the goal line, but it was close.

UND really wanted to make a statement tonight and they did. There were relentless in their own zone coverage and were basically in the Badgers' face all night. The Badgers finally got mad enough to fight back, although it's not good when you loose Turris, Smith, Turnbull, Street and Klubertanz...five of your top guys in the last almost three minutes of the game and you're down three goals. I think the fact that Turris willing to go with Jones (I believe it was) was probably the best play he made all night.

After the game ended, I don't know if any of you caught it but Eaves was jawing at Hakstol for a good minute or so. Hakstol had a few not-so-nice comments for Eaves before they both departed. They didn't shake hands either. Oz was basically trying to hold Hakstol away from Eaves. It got pretty heated.

FYI, Badger fans....your next opponent CC just got through sweeping the 'Dogs in the Springs. Bachman posted a shutout and CC won 4-0 tonight.

Old
11-11-2007, 01:32 PM
RabidBadger

Hopefully this series will serve as a wake up call for the Badgers. I'm sure every player knows, to the man, they were outclassed this weekend and had no business winning Friday. The Sioux showed them what a good team has to play like to be a contender.

I figured this year was going to a building year all along...unless this team REALLY gels by the end of the season. This series should be a real, ahem, learning experience for the young guys who have never played games at that intensity level. It's also good to see the animosity between these teams is still alive and well, even if Bucky came up on the short side of it this time.

I'm hoping for a better showing against CC. I stand by my words on a different thread that they, to me, are the most solid all-around team so far.

Old
11-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
I saw tonight's game and I'll finish what I started on the Sioux thread.

First off, I have to tip my hat to UND, they pretty much dominanted every facet of the game. Lamoureux was very sharp. I thought Connelly was very good and he absolutely robbed Miller of a sure goal getting that paddle down across the goal line, but it was close.

UND really wanted to make a statement tonight and they did. There were relentless in their own zone coverage and were basically in the Badgers' face all night. The Badgers finally got mad enough to fight back, although it's not good when you loose Turris, Smith, Turnbull, Street and Klubertanz...five of your top guys in the last almost three minutes of the game and you're down three goals. I think the fact that Turris willing to go with Jones (I believe it was) was probably the best play he made all night.

After the game ended, I don't know if any of you caught it but Eaves was jawing at Hakstol for a good minute or so. Hakstol had a few not-so-nice comments for Eaves before they both departed. They didn't shake hands either. Oz was basically trying to hold Hakstol away from Eaves. It got pretty heated.

FYI, Badger fans....your next opponent CC just got through sweeping the 'Dogs in the Springs. Bachman posted a shutout and CC won 4-0 tonight.
Here is the vid of it.Eaves starts yakking after he is walking away from Hak.Be a man and say it when they are face to face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAA5lW4SK7s

Old
11-11-2007, 05:30 PM
RabidBadger

I have a reliable scource that said Eaves told Hakstol to follow him to the zamboni gate so they could throw. You could plainly see Hak was rooted to the spot and had no interest in following. Eaves was coming back to close off Haks windpipe with is bare hands but Oz and the refs seperated them.

Okay, so I'm kidding. Eaves came back when prodded...it's not like there was going to be a coaches brawl. Shoot, most player skirmishes hardly amount to the slap-fights you see in professional football.

Old
11-11-2007, 06:09 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
I have a reliable scource that said Eaves told Hakstol to follow him to the zamboni gate so they could throw. You could plainly see Hak was rooted to the spot and had no interest in following. Eaves was coming back to close off Haks windpipe with is bare hands but Oz and the refs seperated them.

Okay, so I'm kidding. Eaves came back when prodded...it's not like there was going to be a coaches brawl. Shoot, most player skirmishes hardly amount to the slap-fights you see in professional football.
What sucks is these 2 teams don't play each other again as your boys don't come to Grand Forks this year.Would of been a heated series but they may see each other in the final five.

Old
11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
What sucks is these 2 teams don't play each other again as your boys don't come to Grand Forks this year.Would of been a heated series but they may see each other in the final five.
A rematch would be great. I know WI was handled this weekend so I would like to see how the less experienced Badgers would handle facing the Sioux a 2nd time. I'm hoping NoDak brought out their killer instinct. You need a ggod combo of grit and talent to succeed. Last years team had plenty of grit with Piskula, Joudrey, Carlson, et. al, but not a lot of firepower. This year the talent is there but the team needs to be a little tougher. I have to say I'm impressed with Turris because i have not seen him shy away from the physical game at all this year. If he stays around next yext year, and I think he will, he will emerge as a real leader on the team.

I don't know about the final 5 rematch. So far it looks like NoDak, CC, and Denver...who is seldom mentioned in these threads but playing killer hockey, are locks for the final 5. It will be a logjam for the final spots between SCSU, WI, The Goofs, who may right their ship yet, and Tech. We'll see if UND continues to tail off. No disrespect intended to AA and Mankato; they still have time to put together a good season. At any rate the competion in the WCHA will be stiff. It look s like Denver is inspired to play the Frozen four on their own turf this year.

Old
11-17-2007, 06:44 PM
RabidBadger

I guess last night was karma for an underserved win last Friday: The Badgers did everything well and came up short. If they can match last night's performance then Bucky should salvage a split.

Old
11-18-2007, 12:20 AM
bleedgreen

hows mcbain looking?

Old
12-01-2007, 10:16 PM
Maxpac

same for Mcdonagh this weekend

Old
12-02-2007, 01:51 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Now THAT would've been something to see!

BTW, those boneheads over at FCS didn't show the Badgers/Huskies game last night like they were supposed to.

From what I understand the Badgers played really well. I heard Geoffrion looked really good.

Old
12-02-2007, 01:51 AM
RabidBadger

Finally, a WCHA sweep...albeit done in a fashion to give Badger fans a heart attack. I really like the fact that this team can come from behind in the 3rd period, but it would be nice if they wouldn't spot the other team a nice lead every game. Man, I'd be happy if they kicked into high gear midway through the 2nd period so the team would at least give a solid period and a half.

McBain and Geoffrion had a great weekend. It seems like every week 2 players really step up and the rest of the team is ho-hum. If the team can come together and played a solid game (or at least 2 periods) they can be a force to be reckoned with. I still think the team won't be a contender until next year, but they have the potential to make a good run and build momentum for next year.

Old
12-02-2007, 08:43 PM
RabidBadger

Yeah, Oilers Chick, even with Eaves' hot temper I think Hak would squash him. Hakstol is a bit more formidable than say, Alex Leavitt. DOH!

I tell you, when Geoffrion shows up he is a force on the ice. He is always tough on face offs but can be lazy in both zones frequently. I rip him frequently because I think he can play like he did this weekend and during the Bob Morris series all the time. I have stated before the overall success this year is going to rely partially on Bam Bam's ability to step up.

The great story this weekend is Josh Engel. This guy has had 0 goals and 9 assists in his 1st three years as a seldom used defensemen. Eaves converts him to a forward and now he has 3 goals and 3 assists in 6 games, including 2 last night. Wouldn't you know he would break out offensively against the Huskies...do the Badgers have their number or what?

Old
12-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
One of these days we'll beat you there. Thank god we don't play there next season.

Old
12-04-2007, 10:39 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Husky View Post
One of these days we'll beat you there. Thank god we don't play there next season.
1st off, let's celebrate, Badger fans (all 2 and 1/2 of us), for finally being stickied. It's about time we made our presence felt. Recruit your friends to come to this board and liven it up. I believe I am the only Badger Hockey fan in the sate of N.C. so I have no one to bring. Sometimes it's tough being a displaced cheesehead.

Rabid Husky, sometimes the fates are against you, as in the WI/SCSU series. It's like when Denver comes to the Kohl Center; they basically own the place. If they start the playoffs in Madison this year they will have a cakewalk to the Frozen Four. Even the year of the Badgers championship the Pioneers came up to Mad-town and swept the series. Sometimes a team just has your number. Thank god the Badgers play DU on their ice this year...there is hope for a split.

On another note; congrats to Jamie McBain and Blake Geoffrion for making the US Juniors squad. Their presence will be missed since both players have been playing well of late. I didn't see the Canadian roster but I tihnk it's a foregone conclusion Turris will be on the team after his performance in the so-called Super Series. Hopefully a tough international tourney will re-ignite his game.

Old
12-08-2007, 10:30 AM
RabidBadger

1st off, nice game by MN State. The stats were virtually even. The difference is that MSU executed better on special teams. The Badgers seem to be lost on 5 on 3 situations; they can kill them just fine but can't seem to score. I hope Eaves does something to tweak the execution on the PP. The passing and puck movement is always good but the finish is not there. There are enough guys on this year's team that can bury the puck so there should be better results.

I feel like I'm watching a rewind of last year with the [in]consistency of play. They still haven't put together a solid weekend. I know part of it is youth, but I have to wonder about player leadership. I like guys like Drewiske and Klubertantz but I don't think they light a fire under the other players like Burrish, Carlson (my fave Badger ever) and Joudrey did. I do like the fact that Turris stated he expected more from himself. Accountability is a good trait in leadership.

I'd like to see Gudmandson get a couple starts while the schedule is a little lighter. A good goalie competition might drive Connelly to perform better and give Scotty G. some experience in case the team needs to lean on him later in the season.

I'm expecting the power play to wake up tonight to salvage a split.

Old
12-09-2007, 06:04 PM
RabidBadger

Well, another 5 on 3 power play down the tubes last night. At least they got a point out of the series. Hats off to MSU for playing some good hockey this weekend. WCHA points will be hard to come by this year as it seems there are no patsies in the conference.

Maybe a new tact for the Badgers should be to geta penalty when there is a 5 on 3; they can generally score on the man advantage. Maybe even get 2 guys in the box (not a problem with Badger Hockey) and get some good even strength pressure going.

The positives this year are Blake Geoffrion starting to play to his potential and plenty of offense from the blueline. The D should be outstanding next year with Smith, McDonagh, McBain (if he comes back) and Goloubef.

Old
12-24-2007, 10:05 AM
RabidBadger

4 more days 'til Badger Hockey! The holiday break makes me stir -crazy.

It's not a bad field in the Badger Showdown this year: 3 of the teams are in the top 20 and Colgate is decent. The drag is that McBain and Geoffrion will not be in the lineup and those two have been the best players lately. It will also be interesting to see how the offense performs without Turris since he has been the lynchpin this year. Turnbull and Davies are going to need to step up bigtime because the forward lines will be pretty thin.

Old
12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
RabidBadger

Well, what'll ya know? Another split. I was hoping for a WI/BG matchup but in the other bracket...still, a nice win without KT, BamBam and J. Mc. After last night's game I understand how NoDak fans felt earlier this year when the Badgers stole one from the Sioux. I guess outshooting your opponent over 2-1 doesn't guarantee victory.

Overall it was a good effort this weekend being short of players, but the team will really need a couple sweeps if they hope to make the playoffs. A sweep against CC would be a great start. That team has been a real pain the past couple seasons.

Old
12-30-2007, 01:30 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Well, what'll ya know? Another split. I was hoping for a WI/BG matchup but in the other bracket...still, a nice win without KT, BamBam and J. Mc. After last night's game I understand how NoDak fans felt earlier this year when the Badgers stole one from the Sioux. I guess outshooting your opponent over 2-1 doesn't guarantee victory.

Overall it was a good effort this weekend being short of players, but the team will really need a couple sweeps if they hope to make the playoffs. A sweep against CC would be a great start. That team has been a real pain the past couple seasons.
Just be thankful that you guys didn't get Northeastern. Everyone talks about UND, the Gophers, Miami, Michigan, etc. teams that they don't want to face, well I've got a big news flash for them. NU is rolling this year and they're getting it done in a fashion similar to that of Tech....no superstars, no flash and dash, but a lot of hard working, hard hitting guys and a very clutch goalie that would like nothing better than to make your worst nightmares come true.

And did I mention that they usually come into the game with an I-want-to-royally-kick-your-butt attitude?

Old
12-30-2007, 04:50 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Just be thankful that you guys didn't get Northeastern. Everyone talks about UND, the Gophers, Miami, Michigan, etc. teams that they don't want to face, well I've got a big news flash for them. NU is rolling this year and they're getting it done in a fashion similar to that of Tech....no superstars, no flash and dash, but a lot of hard working, hard hitting guys and a very clutch goalie that would like nothing better than to make your worst nightmares come true.

And did I mention that they usually come into the game with an I-want-to-royally-kick-your-butt attitude?
I'd have been ecstatic to have the Badgers play NU; it would have meant they were in the championship round. Maybe some of the kick-your-butt attitude would have rubbed off and given WI a little more edge than they have had this year.

And yeah, NU is putting together a solid year. It's always nice to see teams that usually aren't a force being right in the thick of things. Hats off to them for coming out on top in Madison.

Old
01-04-2008, 08:59 PM
Horsehouse

those turnovers by the D were hard to watch. I can only imagine how hard it is for Badgers fans to watch

Old
01-04-2008, 10:12 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse house View Post

those turnovers by the D were hard to watch. I can only imagine how hard it is for Badgers fans to watch
Pretty embarrassing for the Badgers, I have to admit...I'm just glad you're being a good sport about it instead of being some smarmy CC fan coming on our board to gloat. You should cap off your evening by listening to your grandfather's account of CC's last championship while you're at it. I can only imagine how hard it has been for CC fans to watch for the past 50 years. Who knows, maybe they'll win something meaningful in your lifetime whereas they failed the generation before you.

Old
01-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Horsehouse

Quote:
Pretty embarrassing for the Badgers, I have to admit...I'm just glad you're being a good sport about it instead of being some smarmy CC fan coming on our board to gloat. You should cap off your evening by listening to your grandfather's account of CC's last championship while you're at it. I can only imagine how hard it has been for CC fans to watch for the past 50 years. Who knows, maybe they'll win something meaningful in your lifetime whereas they failed the generation before you.
where else am I going to go to gloat?...which I wasn't doing...but since you're not being classy about it

lol what a joke on the Badgers...work on your damn PP

Old
01-05-2008, 09:47 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse house View Post
where else am I going to go to gloat?...which I wasn't doing...but since you're not being classy about it

lol what a joke on the Badgers...work on your damn PP
Right, where else would you go to gloat except after a victory over a very mediocre team without some of its better players. Yeah, I know you don't have Billy Sweatt and the other crackheads that were recently suspended, so spare me. Your team is having a good year, which I was respectful of until you came along. BTW you contradicted yourself on gloating (you were)/ not gloating (don't even deny it) in your last post.

Hmmm, you weren't gloating, eh? Now where would I get that idea with the little laughing emoticon that was attached to your post? I'm sure most people put that in their replies when they are feeling genuine sympathy for another teams' misfortunes. I just must be paranoid. And you are right; I wasn't being classy and I had no reason to be after your post. I don't even slag the Gopher fans after a loss on this board so don't talk to me about class.

Anyway, enjoy your team's good season and congrats on the sweep in Madison...it only happens often as Haley's comet. CC is the better team this year, no doubt. Bucky owns your frustrated arses to the tune of 104-56-8 overall.

I appreciate the advice on the PP. I will contact Mike Eaves at my earliest convenience after he is through strangling his players (maybe he won't be since Alex Leavitt is gone) and imbue that pearl of wisdom unto him.

Last edited by RabidBadger: 01-05-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Closed Thread