HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Malik's Reaction on Being Scratched 2nite

Old
01-06-2008, 01:41 AM
MountVancouver'94

vCash: 500
Malik's Reaction on Being Scratched 2nite

Not sure if anyone heard this already...but I just wanted to throw this out there from Dellapina's Blog:

"Upon being informed that he would be the defenseman sitting out tonight to make room for Strudwick, Malik reacted angrily.

He put on his overcoat and stormed out of the Rangers’ lockerroom and into the Edmonton night. Where he was going was unclear
"

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 01:58 AM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountVancouver'94 View Post
Where he was going was unclear."
Edmonton cops found him passed out on the ground in a courtyard and reeking of alcohol.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:00 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Yeah, something has to be done. It'd be better for both parties to part ways at this point.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:01 AM
Smashley

If he isn't careful he'll be running into his buddy Pock real quick...

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:05 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
Edmonton cops found him passed out on the ground in a courtyard and reeking of alcohol.

i found this very funny

the way you guys talk about him i dont know why he is surprised by any of this, didnt he ***** at renney last time he got benched?

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:40 AM
lotus

I get the impression that he is just the type of guy who thinks the world is out to get him. Whenever he was asked about the fans booing him, he would say something like 'i played a good game' or 'i cant do it all' and when he was scratched last time it was something like 'i cant score goals so they sit me'. Mind you I'm drastically paraphrasing because it's 3:40 AM. Regardless however, I think it might finally be time.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:06 AM
Choice

I dunno I cant blame him for being pissed that he was scratched, and I think any of us would be defensive about being booed at home. Doesn't change the fact that he sucks though.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:09 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChoice View Post
I dunno I cant blame him for being pissed that he was scratched, and I think any of us would be defensive about being booed at home. Doesn't change the fact that he sucks though.
i hated this signing from the start.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:20 AM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
i hated this signing from the start.
He was good the first year and decent the beginning of last year.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 05:08 AM
Onion Boy

Regardless of what we do with Malik, there is no way Strudwick should be a regular member of our top 6.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 06:04 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
Regardless of what we do with Malik, there is no way Strudwick should be a regular member of our top 6.
Agree. Very bad form on Malik's part but Strudwick is not a good player. I think at this point someone like Staal has learned just about everything about being a good teammate that Jason has to offer. I think the Rangers overrate sometimes what they would call good character in players who just aren't that good--Strudwick, Orr, Hollweg, Weekes, Valiquette etc. Kasper could have fallen into the same category but for some reason they dumped him pretty quick.

I've had about enough of both Malik and Strudwick but the Rangers don't seem to have a lot of options at the moment. Baranka is out--don't know for how long. Sauer has been inconsistent. Potter has a nice +/- but I seem to hear a lot of negatives. Hutchinson just doesn't seem to be that good defensively and Pock would have to pass through waivers.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 06:53 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post

That's pretty damn clever. Thanks for the laugh.

Not what you'd call an ideal teammate. I wonder if Mara and/or Strudwick storm out into the night when they're healthy scratches.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Chimp

You can say what you want about Malik, but I don't think him getting furious about getting benched is a bad thing, in fact it's a good thing. It shows that he cares and you can never blame a player for caring too much. He wants to play and he wants to win. It's that kind of attitude that wins games.

So alright, he's had a bad stretch, a really bad stretch, but who hasn't on this team lately? Just about any player has deserved to be scratched and I think that's part of the reason why Malik gets so upset: he's the one taking the heat.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 08:29 AM
bubba5

If Renney had any real guts he would bench Jagr already! These Hossa,Malik benchings are getting old already. I guess Malik and Hossa are the reasons why this is the worst offensive team in the league!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
You can say what you want about Malik, but I don't think him getting furious about getting benched is a bad thing, in fact it's a good thing. It shows that he cares and you can never blame a player for caring too much. He wants to play and he wants to win. It's that kind of attitude that wins games.

So alright, he's had a bad stretch, a really bad stretch, but who hasn't on this team lately? Just about any player has deserved to be scratched and I think that's part of the reason why Malik gets so upset: he's the one taking the heat.
No way. He cares? Yikes.

If so, then why does he play like a lifeless zombie on the ice?

Old
01-06-2008, 09:10 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
I get the impression that he is just the type of guy who thinks the world is out to get him. Whenever he was asked about the fans booing him, he would say something like 'i played a good game' or 'i cant do it all' and when he was scratched last time it was something like 'i cant score goals so they sit me'. Mind you I'm drastically paraphrasing because it's 3:40 AM. Regardless however, I think it might finally be time.
Yea, but he is right.

All you have to do is look around message boards on the internet and listen to the fans at the games.

People RE out to get him.

Every time the guys name is mentioned people boo.

How would you feel? He is human not a machine, it gets to you after a while. It puts pressure on you.

And i agree with him about getting pissed off for being scratched.

He should be happy??? He WANTS to PLAY. He is a hockey player. And he is nowhere near as bad a player as people make him out to be.

If i were him, i would DEMAND a trade. I would have my agent kick Sather's door down and DEMAND a trade.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 09:19 AM
bmw2004

Malik is not the only problem of this team. Almos everyone understand here that he is suck. We have a much deeper problem.

bmw2004 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 09:34 AM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Agree. Very bad form on Malik's part but Strudwick is not a good player. I think at this point someone like Staal has learned just about everything about being a good teammate that Jason has to offer. I think the Rangers overrate sometimes what they would call good character in players who just aren't that good--Strudwick, Orr, Hollweg, Weekes, Valiquette etc. Kasper could have fallen into the same category but for some reason they dumped him pretty quick.

I've had about enough of both Malik and Strudwick but the Rangers don't seem to have a lot of options at the moment. Baranka is out--don't know for how long. Sauer has been inconsistent. Potter has a nice +/- but I seem to hear a lot of negatives. Hutchinson just doesn't seem to be that good defensively and Pock would have to pass through waivers.
Problem is Malik thinks he's better then he really is! If the only time I'd ever seen Malik play would be this season then I would say he's a #5 or #6 guy at best. Sure he's an upgrade over Struds but has he really been that much better?

Against a team like Edmonton that skates, skates, skates and with Malik being slow, slow, slow the benching made sense. Sure it would be best for both parties if he got traded -- thanks to his wonderful play I'm not sure there is much of a market for him.

JerseyRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:05 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post

I'm also one of Malik's bigger defenders on this board, not because I think he's good, but that he's not as bad as people make him out to be.

But regardless of whether or not he actually deserves to be benched (he does), there's a way to handle it and a way not to handle it. This was the latter. Yes, it's good that he's upset about it. Who wouldn't be? But at the same time, he's a grown man and a professional. Act like it. If the report said that he threw a garbage can against the wall and then stewed in front of his locker for a while, then I'd be fine with it. But you don't walk out on your teammates. That's not a winning attitude, that's a selfish attitude.

What if someone had gotten hurt in warmups and they had to put him back in, only he was nowhere to be found? Renney oughta bring down a penalty on Malik here, because there's no excuse for acting like that.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Draft Guru

If I'm Sather, here's what I do:

1) Shop Malik around to the league, try and get a draft pick
2) If no one wants him, waive him and send him to Hartford
3) Bring up Baranka
4) Make Strudwick the 7th defenseman

Bingo. Our defense is instantly better and more mobile.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
ThirdEye

I really think this whole Malik thing is getting ridiculous now.

I hope he is traded now. Not because I don't think he is at least a top 6 defenseman, but because this whole situation with him is starting to be a massive distraction. Also, the fans aren't just going to stop booing him, no matter what. Everytime he makes even a small mistake he will hear it. He's the scapegoat and that isn't going to change

I'm positive there are at least a few other teams that won't mind him. Please Malik, as to be traded already

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Celestial Black

It's a hard situation with Malik. Sometimes he does not play like he should and I feel like he should use his height and strength against the opposing team. Other night even if he does play a defensively sound game, the crowd will rip him to shreds. It's hard to play for a town that wants nothing to do with you and it is difficult to trade someone to a team due to all the crap he gets. I do think we need better defensemen and hopefully we pick up and let out those who need to go.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:39 AM
HenriksBetter

Something needs to be done at this point. Malik has obviously stopped being a team player and that is not soomthing the Rangers need at this point. They have enough issues to deal with besides a head case. Trade or waive him asap!

HenriksBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:46 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post

1) Shop Malik around to the league, try and get a draft pick
2) If no one wants him, waive him and send him to Hartford
3) Bring up Baranka
4) Make Strudwick the 7th defenseman

Bingo. Our defense is instantly better and more mobile.

Resign and apologize to the fans of NY for being the worst GM in the NHL since his arrival.

For years we were unable to even reach the playoffs. Then we were told that our farm system is the envy of the league. As all of the young guys, one by one, prove to be overhyped garbage - besides Staal and Lundqvist - and it becomes more apparent hat his stint here is an utter disaster.

I still hope that Girardi recaptures his abilities of last year which would give us 3 good NHL players out of the hordes he has drafted.

It is amazing that he hasn't drafted an NHL impact forward in all of these years.

Maybe after the punching bag Malik is no longer here it will become apparent to those that believe that Malik is somehow a focal point of what ails the Rangers. Nah, the masses will find a new punching bag, probably Renney.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 10:55 AM
eco's bones

The Rangers have options with Malik. He's not as effective on the third pairing without Roszival as a partner and frequently Jagr on the wing. They can move Staal down to the third pairing again with Mara and bring up that pairings minutes and put Malik and Roszival back together again and see how it works--they do have good chemistry. That option might help both Mara and Malik. What I would question here is 1) I think Staal is already a better player and 2) I think Malik is in his final season with us anyway and why knock yourself out for him and I like the idea of bringing up a Baranka and getting him some experience. Moving Malik might not be very easy but it should also be an option. Sending him down to Hartford seems too drastic at least at this stage--of course, if he continues to pout or have tantrums it might be worth considering.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote