HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers going after Major Junior team?

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 10:11 AM
metallicat

vCash: 500
Oilers going after Major Junior team?

Interesting. I would go watch the games, no doubt about it. I loved watching the Edmonton Ice when they were here. I don't exactly know why that venture failed...maybe because of the AgriCom...but if they use Rexall, just maybe this could work. Maybe we will have hockey here next year after all.

http://www.canada.com/edmonton/edmon...f-0de90f92be24

There is a short version of the article. I am not an online subscriber or I would get the full text.

Old
04-08-2004, 10:53 AM
outKast*

Yes, they'll probably have a WHL team playing at West Edmonton Mall at the new arena they're desining. The Edmonton Cosmos would be fitting since the malls mascot is Cosmo. plans for making the new arena will undergo after they have the green light to make the team.

Old
04-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Vyse64
N64

Send a message via MSN to Vyse64
the first team fialed cuz the oilers didn't help (or never go the chance too i'll leave that to someone else to find out) i hope this time its different and they don't move away after a year or two

Old
04-08-2004, 11:23 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Yes, they'll probably have a WHL team playing at West Edmonton Mall at the new arena they're desining. The Edmonton Cosmos would be fitting since the malls mascot is Cosmo. plans for making the new arena will undergo after they have the green light to make the team.
And when do you think this new arena is going to be made?

By the sounds of it, the WHL to Edmonton sounds like something within the next two years.

Old
04-08-2004, 12:05 PM
barto

Actually, it could be even sooner than that from recent interviews with Cal Nichols...they're already in discussions with a team about moving them here (no word on which one), supposedly, so the move *could* happen over the summer and start playing in the fall.

I'd say with the Oilers' new lease at Rexall and the highly-visible talk they've had on it that the WEM deal is effectively dead, although I guess until it's official that the Oilers are bringing in a team that "dead" isn't quite the right term...In a coma? Concussed??

I could see this development putting a damper on WEM's plans to build an ice rink, which was probably 2-4 years away.

The Ice tried to have a good relationship with the Oilers and Sather/Pocklington but failed, and that did hurt them in the end. This way the Oilers will use their marketing knowledge to help the "Oil Kings" (likely name, apparently) survive and thrive. And if there's no NHL hockey next year, it'll give a BIG boost to the new team's fortunes.

Bart

Old
04-08-2004, 04:11 PM
SerbianEagle

Bring it on I say.

More hockey = :gman:

Old
04-08-2004, 05:30 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by outKast
Wrong. This is the Oilers going after this, not West Ed. LaForge wants the team to play at Rexall.

Old
04-08-2004, 05:32 PM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
Actually, it could be even sooner than that from recent interviews with Cal Nichols...they're already in discussions with a team about moving them here (no word on which one), supposedly, so the move *could* happen over the summer and start playing in the fall.

I'd say with the Oilers' new lease at Rexall and the highly-visible talk they've had on it that the WEM deal is effectively dead, although I guess until it's official that the Oilers are bringing in a team that "dead" isn't quite the right term...In a coma? Concussed??

I could see this development putting a damper on WEM's plans to build an ice rink, which was probably 2-4 years away.

The Ice tried to have a good relationship with the Oilers and Sather/Pocklington but failed, and that did hurt them in the end. This way the Oilers will use their marketing knowledge to help the "Oil Kings" (likely name, apparently) survive and thrive. And if there's no NHL hockey next year, it'll give a BIG boost to the new team's fortunes.

Bart
The teams that the Journal said this morning are Moose Jaw, Swift Current, or Prince Albert for example. Those are just examples, but that would be sweet if Edmonton could get any of those three storied franchises.

Old
04-08-2004, 06:13 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
They were talking about the Oilers getting a WHL team on my drive to the Rebels game the other day, during the Rebels broadcast. What they said was the they have offered $7 million for the Saskatoon Blades. Another thing they mentioned on the radio is that they are over-paying, saying that the Rebels are worth around $3.5 million. That either tells me they really want a team, or they have no clue what they are doing. I'd side with the first reason.

Old
04-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
They were talking about the Oilers getting a WHL team on my drive to the Rebels game the other day, during the Rebels broadcast. What they said was the they have offered $7 million for the Saskatoon Blades. Another thing they mentioned on the radio is that they are over-paying, saying that the Rebels are worth around $3.5 million. That either tells me they really want a team, or they have no clue what they are doing. I'd side with the first reason.
Well, if there is in fact no NHL team next year, it would be the perfect oppurtunity to get a WHL team into Rexall. I'd bet that a lot of the Oiler's season ticket base would get WHL tickets.

It would also keep the Oilers employees busy promoting the new team and generate some extra revenue.

If there's no NHL next year, I'd bet a WHL franchise in Edmonton would be very profitable to the Oilers.

Old
04-08-2004, 09:42 PM
Brynster

TEAM 1260 reports...

As we reported 8 weeks ago! What took them so long to get this story??

Anyway... The WHL will no doubt vote on a "relocation" of an exsisting franchise at the meetings during the Memorial Cup in Kelowna. Our WHL sources continue to tell us that the team is the Tri City Americans. Tri Cities told our station in late 2003 that things weren't going well there, and once we brought up this story 8 weeks ago, they suddenly changed their story. Everything's great now apparently. Uh-Huh.

We're led to believe by the WHL people we talk to that NO Canadian team will be moved. Which would be a VERY smart PR move by the Oilers. If they snatched a team out of Saskatchewan, that province would develope a very quick hate-on for the Oilers. That Saskatoon story is old and if it happened, good luck trying to get anybody from ToonTown to support the Oilers after that!

The start up date... as reported 8 weeks ago would be the start of the 2004-2005 WHL season. If only the Oilers would sign a long term lease with Northlands... oh wait a minute!!

Brace yourselves... the WHL is coming and quickly. It's great hockey and I hope they get it!!

Old
04-08-2004, 10:33 PM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
It would definitely be awesome for Edmonton to get a WHL franchise back, its awesome, affordable entertainment. The mistakes made the first go round obviously wouldn't happen again. Its tough to get 1260 here in Red Deer, my morning drive consists of 10 minutes, so of course, I never heard that Bryn(from the TEAM). Just passing on what they were saying on the Rebels broadcast on Tuesday night. I'm sure you guys are on top of it.

Go Rebels!!

Old
04-08-2004, 10:38 PM
Cerebral

Wowzers, I'm already picturing the new Calgary vs Edmonton rivalry! I'd definitely catch a few more Hitmen games during the season if Edmonton came to town..

Old
04-08-2004, 11:02 PM
Tyrolean

I miss the Oil Kings they were even more successful than the Oilers in their heyday! 8 times in a row Abbot Cup champions!

Old
04-09-2004, 12:55 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I would guess there is about a 1% chance of the Saskatoon Blades franchise moving to Edmonton. Much like the groundswell to save the Oilers from relocating, local buyers would step up to keep the team. Despite this year's abysmal results, the Blades have a long, successful history as one of the WHL early franchises.

Conversely I would guess there is a 99% chance the team being targeted is the
Tri-City Americans. This has been a horrid franchise forever. Not even Bob Brown, architect of the Kelowna Blazer dynasties could turn the franchise around.

Get ready for the Edmonton ... Americans?
I say keep the name Alberta is often compared to an American state. It would also really screw up many geography challenged U.S. residents...

Old
04-09-2004, 01:22 AM
metallicat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brynster
As we reported 8 weeks ago! What took them so long to get this story??

Anyway... The WHL will no doubt vote on a "relocation" of an exsisting franchise at the meetings during the Memorial Cup in Kelowna. Our WHL sources continue to tell us that the team is the Tri City Americans. Tri Cities told our station in late 2003 that things weren't going well there, and once we brought up this story 8 weeks ago, they suddenly changed their story. Everything's great now apparently. Uh-Huh.

We're led to believe by the WHL people we talk to that NO Canadian team will be moved. Which would be a VERY smart PR move by the Oilers. If they snatched a team out of Saskatchewan, that province would develope a very quick hate-on for the Oilers. That Saskatoon story is old and if it happened, good luck trying to get anybody from ToonTown to support the Oilers after that!

The start up date... as reported 8 weeks ago would be the start of the 2004-2005 WHL season. If only the Oilers would sign a long term lease with Northlands... oh wait a minute!!

Brace yourselves... the WHL is coming and quickly. It's great hockey and I hope they get it!!

Well the story is from your colleague John Short, so maybe he was tipped off by you.

Old
04-09-2004, 06:55 AM
Brynster

No... not really...

John's been on top of this thing for weeks too.

In fact, he even had the story on his show after we mentioned it earlier in the day. That's when Bob Tory of the Americans went and did a 180 and suddenely everything was great down south. My jaw hit the floor when I heard that. Especially since it was in December when Tory told one of our shows that the Tri City's thing was not doing too well. I don't blame Bob, obviously you want to close out the season with fans feeling good about your product.

I just feel the Journal held back on the story until someone in Oiler-Land decided to step up publicly. Once Cal Nichols went "on the record" that probably made the Journal folks feel better about the story. They do have some political reasons for being careful.

In fairness, The Sun also had the story a day after we blurted it out on Total Sports last February. CHED also picked up on it the following day too.

Whatever... doesn't really matter does it???
I just hope all the elements come together and this thing gets done.

Old
04-09-2004, 10:35 AM
zamboni

Quote:
What they said was the they have offered $7 million for the Saskatoon Blades
After a 7-52-11 record this past regular season, the Saskatoon Blades will need alot of fan support. I'd really hate to take a team from Canada (especially Saskatchewan), though.

Last edited by zamboni: 04-09-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old
04-09-2004, 02:44 PM
Brynster

Robin B. reports today that....

An Oiler offer to Tri Cities was re-buffed by their ownership group down south. It's in today's Sun. BUT I don't think that's the end of the story, just the beginning. Look for a better offer somewhere down the line.

Old
04-09-2004, 04:29 PM
metallicat

How much is this going to affect the Oilers home schedule? I haven't researched the issues Calgary faces there, but I imagine it is just one more thing they will have to work around. I heard that those who run the Canadian Finals Rodeo want to extend that from five days (or whatever it is, 4 maybe) to nine days...I just hope this doesn't mean more extended road trips for the Oilers. I know it is a cliche, but the travelling is bad enough as it is for western teams.

Old
04-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

The scheduling in Calgary is not an issue. The Flamers are the Alpha tenant and the Hitman schedule feeds into the gaps. Edmonton look likely be the same. Every few years a major event such as the Briar throws a wrinkle into things but everything works out.

I don't know how the rodeo-thing would play into event scheduling. I know in junior the Brandon WheatKings get the boot every spring for a major event. But I doubt it would pose a problem working it out.

Zamboni, as to your comments, the Saskatoon Blades have a solid fan base of several thousand (2-4) despite this one year anomoly in its poor play. It jumps significantly when the team is playing well. There is also a forty year history for this franchise in Saskatoon. They will not move anywhere and certainly not before one of the smaller Saskatchewan centres such as Moose Jaw or Swift Current. Tri-Cities is by far the most realistic target.

Last edited by Behind Enemy Lines: 04-09-2004 at 05:25 PM.
Old
04-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Tri-Cities is by far the most realistic target.
And don't think for a second that their owner doesn't know this.

It's no big secret that the pickings are slim for the Oilers to snatch up a WHL franchise and fast track it for next year...I'm sure Mr. Tory is looking at this as an opportunity to get his $$ back in spades on his franchise. He knows that the Oilers are more desperate to buy a franchise than he may be to sell it.

It's all part of the game.

Old
04-09-2004, 05:48 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
taking a team out of the US wouldscrew up the US division, unless the EDm team would continue to play there or for some reason they just bumped Vancouver to the US division which would then make it the US + Vancouver. Either way, from what i hear, one of the main reasons that Everett got a team as opposed to Victoria was becuase they wanted to complete the US division. Seems kinda ludicrious to go and take a team away within a year of adding one....

Closed Thread