HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Too bad the Oilers aren't in the playoffs...

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2004, 07:20 PM
speeds

vCash: 500
Too bad the Oilers aren't in the playoffs...

but I must say, I haven't seen a game yet that hasn't been exciting. This is shaping up to be one of the best playoffs in recent memory, IMO

Old
04-08-2004, 07:38 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
but I must say, I haven't seen a game yet that hasn't been exciting. This is shaping up to be one of the best playoffs in recent memory, IMO
Agreed.. the Toronto/Ottawa and Philly/NJ series' look like they could be absolutely amazing.

Old
04-08-2004, 07:49 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Agreed.. the Toronto/Ottawa and Philly/NJ series' look like they could be absolutely amazing.
What about watching Nashville getting slapped around like the family pig by the wings? That's what has kept me alive and kicking so far through the first round. I just hate them so much....

Old
04-08-2004, 07:56 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Yeah...I find myself enjoying watching the CDN teams in the playoffs, but it seems a little empty. There is nothing like being emotionally invested in a team, and getting immersed in a playoff run. I found myself watching the Canucks fans and feeling a little irritated that Oiler fans won't be a part of something like that for a year ( or longer ). Oh well...

Old
04-08-2004, 08:44 PM
choppystride

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
I agree with you! I was watching Col vs Dal on ESPN...man...that series is gonna rock!

Too bad the Oilers couldn't get in. I don't think Nsh will put up much of a fight though Det may lose their concentration & cough up game.

Also, would have liked to see Buf get in to play TB and watch these 2 exciting young teams go at it.

Old
04-09-2004, 03:46 AM
nineteen79

Yeah I was rooting for the Sabres to make it as well.That would have made for a good series.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Matts

I have to totally disagree

I didn't see much of NJ/Phil but otherwise I thought the only game with second season and compassion of last night's series opener in SJ.

As for the Oilers, I am over it. I never thought they'd pull it off in the first place and it was pure folly to believe this team could make the playoffs after how long they'd coddled Tommy and thus how deep their hole was when they finally started to get going.

Missing the playoffs is becoming commonplace for the Oilers fan, I'm afraid to say

Right now I think they'll make it next year but who really knows? Lowe might give Izzy a raise and tell MacT to give him top six minutes and maybe Lacombe is the latest WAC to coach the PP. Or perhaps we'll go back to leaning heavily on York and he'll suffer his predictable March injury

Old
04-09-2004, 12:51 PM
Oilers Hockey

Anyways, I just think its too bad the Oilers are not in the playoffs because we can't wow anyone with our playoff crowd - contrary to the belief of Canucks fans, Rexall Place puts every other rink to shame and our arena is the loudest.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:52 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

I watched some of the Calgary-Vancouver game, and I thought it was lousy. That's not a slam on the Canucks or Flames, it's a slam on the officials. I got sick of watching the referees trying to steal the show. Seemed like there was a whistle every 30 seconds.

Old
04-09-2004, 12:59 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Missing the playoffs is becoming commonplace for the Oilers fan, I'm afraid to say
Do you mean that in the sense that Oiler fans are growing to accept it?

If so I have to disagree. I think most fans can appreciate the process the team is going through. With that, they understand that until the team completes the changes that have been evident for the last couple years, they will continue to be a team on the bubble.

That is why I view this season as a success. There were a lot of questions answered and in my mind the team has started the swing upwards. I don't mean that this team is looking at a top 4 finish but I mean that in the context of approaching the next season, instead of looking at this team as a 9th, 8th or 7th place finisher, they can be looked at as 7th, 6th or 5th place team.

And yes I recognize that there is some work left to be done by Lowe, but I base my opinion on the idea that it is much more clear as to where Lowe needs to concentrate his time. I also feel that this is where the slack for Lowe gets tightened. It's time for him to come through.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Matts

I, for one, laud

the officials for calling obstruction. Maybe it's because I cheer for one of the fastest teams in the league or maybe it's because I'm sick of seeing that team be foiled by keen obstructionists like oh, I don't know, the Dallas Stars

But in any case what's better than an up and down the ice hockey game? Good on Campbell and Co for cracking down heading into the playoffs.

And as I read today, there were meetings with all 16 GM's and coaches before the playoffs started so they had the time to convey this message to the players.

I saw that Sharks game last night and there were some chances but mostly it was fought in the trenches and I'm sure Americans are ignoring the playoffs en masse but I paid rapt attention to the contention of every inch of ice.

That's what the playoffs are about, not putting the stick on a guy so he can't get in on a forecheck.

Old
04-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Matts

No

I mean in the sense that now with no playoffs in two of the last three years, from now on it will be a surprise to some of us. Lowe can flap his gums all he wants about how this is now a team that can be expected once again to make the playoffs every season but I'm a burden of proof guy so let's bring it, Lowe

I mean I've been railing forever that Salo was one of the biggest problems on this team. I think he was the reason in '01 we didn't have a better seed although I will say he played pretty damn good that playoffs. Bounced back bigtime in '02. Sub .900 PCT last season and then crapped the bed in the playoffs.

So right now heading into next season with Jussi/Ty, yes I have to say that if someone would only give me $50 if I were to bet it one way or the other, I would say the Oilers will make the playoffs because I don't expect that tandem combined to be as pitiful as Salo was his last two seasons in Edmonton.

And just like Lowe and MacT miracolously did on Tuesday I realized early that netminding was the biggest problem.

But it either took Lowe awhile or he was willing to let the ship go down with Tommy so for that I have to question his leadership. Now this isn't me saying Lowe doesn't love the Oilers and blah blah Matts is the devil

I'm just saying that this team might not be bad mistake proof so let's see what Lowe does this offseason

Old
04-09-2004, 01:42 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
I mean in the sense that now with no playoffs in two of the last three years, from now on it will be a surprise to some of us.
It might be a shock to you if we make the playoffs but I challenge you to find three more fans on this board who would be "surprised" if the Oilers make the big dance next year. The Oilers are easily in the running for a playoff spot next season and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they slip into the 5-8 spot in the West. They're certainly not expected to make a run for the President's trophy or anything but I think it is pure folly to assert that fans will now be surprised if their lowly Oilers slip into the playoffs..

Old
04-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Loweball

Matts...I agree with you on most of your points but in no way am i getting used to the Oilers missing the playoffs ... We missed the playoffs twice in the past three years. That's hardly "getting used to it". The two years we missed we had 92 points, and this year, 89 points. Most teams in past years make it with those numbers. We are not Calgary. We haven't gone forever since making the playoffs.

Living in Victoria lets me see the Canuck bandwagon in full steam. I am a little envious seeing all the flags on people's cars. Really noticing those this year. They are everywhere here, i could only imagine them across the pond. And of course, EVERYONE has become Canuck fans all of a sudden. Two sides to that....good to see the people supporting the playoff drive, but where are all those fans all year who now think they know everything from watching a game or two. I guess that's playoffs. Wish we were in.

Old
04-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
It might be a shock to you if we make the playoffs but I challenge you to find three more fans on this board who would be "surprised" if the Oilers make the big dance next year. The Oilers are easily in the running for a playoff spot next season and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they slip into the 5-8 spot in the West. They're certainly not expected to make a run for the President's trophy or anything but I think it is pure folly to assert that fans will now be surprised if their lowly Oilers slip into the playoffs..
Just look at the Kings, it's all about the injuries friends. Stay healthy and we're laughin.

Old
04-09-2004, 02:13 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
And just like Lowe and MacT miracolously did on Tuesday I realized early that netminding was the biggest problem.

But it either took Lowe awhile or he was willing to let the ship go down with Tommy so for that I have to question his leadership. Now this isn't me saying Lowe doesn't love the Oilers and blah blah Matts is the devil

I'm just saying that this team might not be bad mistake proof so let's see what Lowe does this offseason
I think the diversity of opinion on this board is great, however, how many posts are required before we all understand that you "knew" Salo was going to have a bad year. Also I think it's quite clear to me that you should be contacting Lowe and MacT proir to the season starting and clue them in on how to ensure a successful season.

Old
04-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Matts

Well I don't know about that:)

but I did call the Tommy thing for sure I'm not saying the Oilers will miss every season but missing two of the last three means they aren't even money every year...or better

Closed Thread