HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Henrik's father had brain surgery(aneurysm)

Old
01-07-2008, 04:54 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Henrik's father had brain surgery(aneurysm)

Quote:
Peter Lundqvist underwent brain surgery in mid-December. Henrik doesn't want to discuss the details. But his father apparently suffered an aneurysm that required the surgery shortly after he returned to Sweden from a late-November visit to the United States to see his twin sons Henrik and Joel of the Dallas Stars play against each other at the Garden.

According to one account, which Henrik did not want to discuss, Peter Lundqvist underwent the surgery without Henrik or Joel knowing until after it was over. The procedure was successful. But the recovery has been slow.

And monitoring it from across the Atlantic has not been easy
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...ists_mind.html

There was a reference a few weeks ago in a Swedish paper about Lundqvist being concerned about his dad's health.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Smashley

oi vey, no wonder his game has been off.... scary stuff.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:20 AM
Stoney La Rock

Yikes, that's awful. I pray his father has a successful recovery and I hope the media is respectful enough of all of their privacy to leave them to it.

Stoney La Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 07:30 AM
AlwaysARanger
Schwing!

Such a classy guy.. he doesnt excuse anything he's done on the ice (his numbers is awful after that Dallas-game). And i just loved to hear he broke his stick in pieces after the EDM-loss. He didnt blame anyone, he was just pissed of that Gagner-tally in the SO he got a piece of. He just wants to win. No matter what.

AlwaysARanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Melrose_Jr.

My mom had an brain aneurysm 20-ish years ago. If you don't die immediately, prognosis is usually pretty good, but indeed, the recovery is slow.

Gotta be very tough to be half a world away and unable to visit a loved one in crisis.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:13 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysARanger View Post
Such a classy guy.. he doesnt excuse anything he's done on the ice (his numbers is awful after that Dallas-game). And i just loved to hear he broke his stick in pieces after the EDM-loss. He didnt blame anyone, he was just pissed of that Gagner-tally in the SO he got a piece of. He just wants to win. No matter what.
it seems like hes the only one left that still cares on this team anymore.....best wishes to the Lundqvists!

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:23 AM
IanB

It speaks volumes about his character that he responded to his adversity the way he did. He very well could've left the team, but he didnt. Even though he didn't get the results he would've wanted (he's probably putting even more pressure on himself than usual), you have to admire that.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
My mom had an brain aneurysm 20-ish years ago. If you don't die immediately, prognosis is usually pretty good, but indeed, the recovery is slow.

Gotta be very tough to be half a world away and unable to visit a loved one in crisis.
Glad your moms ok. I actually heard something on the radio about this yesterday, aside from what you already mentioned, also neurologists will do brain scans and if the aneurysm is tiny, they wont do anything about it, they just leave it. I guess at some point its so small, that it doesnt affect the brain at all. Strange, to me at least.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:35 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

Get well soon to Mr. Lundqvist.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
I wonder if he'll opt out of the all star game to visit.. only 4 day break this year but still..

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:39 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Wow that sucks. My grandmother died of a brain aneurysm, after the infection causing her to be brain dead for 6 months I might add. She never recovered, and its often not easy to even make it to recovery, so Peter's lucky. Good to hear.

Only thing that sucks is I hear it skips a generation, and can also skip from male to female, making me a possibility of having one when I get older. Getting concussions in hockey I'm sure isn't helping me, either.

On that note, Henrik should be fine when he gets older, as it skips a generation usually.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:52 AM
dank

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
I wonder if he'll opt out of the all star game to visit.. only 4 day break this year but still..
to be honest i think he should, 100%. no doubt in my mind that family and healthy is more important than the All-Star game. a) he'll be in many more in his career and b) if he gets nominated thats good enough for many.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:54 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnightRU View Post

Only thing that sucks is I hear it skips a generation, and can also skip from male to female, making me a possibility of having one when I get older. Getting concussions in hockey I'm sure isn't helping me, either..
Not necessarily. My mother's father died of a stomach aneurysm, so if you've got a family history, you should be getting a body scan, not just a head scan.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Karan

Thats gotta be tough All the best to him.

Karan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:47 AM
eco's bones

I have to think it's very tough and may be playing on his mind and might explain some subpar performances lately. There is not much he can do about it but hope for the best.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Get well soon to Mr. Lundqvist.

01-07-2008, 12:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Henrik Lundqvist said that his father, Peter, was improving in a Swedish rehab hospital after brain surgery several weeks ago. While acknowledging that his dad was on his mind, Lundqvist said that while it may have been a distraction earlier, the fact that his condition was better had eased his mind.
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/ho..._with_con.html

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
bogans

well wishes to both father and son

bogans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 01:13 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

in 2000 i had a brain aneurysm on a plane just about to land in NJ. I went paralyzed for about 30 seconds, but walked off the plane like no big deal (till i saw a doctor and he told me what had happened). in my case it was a berry aneurysm, or the most common type of brain aneurysm you could possibly have. i got lucky, it was very painful, i can't imagine what a full fledged aneurysm feels like.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Scary story. Hopefully the news that it seems like he's getting better will clear Henrik's head a little bit. That has to be terrible to go through that. All the best to his dad.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 03:58 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post

Wow reallly? 20 years ago it was almost unheard of to survive the surgury, ur mom was very lucky. Even 10 years ago that surgury was tricky, even now its tricky, but thankfully medicine has come a long way since than with MRI's & the ability to map out the brain.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 04:01 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
in 2000 i had a brain aneurysm on a plane just about to land in NJ. I went paralyzed for about 30 seconds, but walked off the plane like no big deal (till i saw a doctor and he told me what had happened). in my case it was a berry aneurysm, or the most common type of brain aneurysm you could possibly have. i got lucky, it was very painful, i can't imagine what a full fledged aneurysm feels like.
OUCH! where there any symptoms prior? did the air persure from flying contribute to it bursting? Did u have anytype of operation?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:33 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
OUCH! where there any symptoms prior? did the air persure from flying contribute to it bursting? Did u have anytype of operation?
no, but i was under a lot of stress, working full time, going to college full time, commuting from home w/o a car (had to take the bus, which added over an hour to my commute) just a lot of stuff.

not sure if the air pressure contributed or not, the doctor was vague when i asked. and no, no operation. they ust put me on some medication, did a few MRI's and said that they wanted to do some sort of invasive brain examination, which my uncle, who is a pretty well known doctor in LA told me not to do. he said since the MRI was clear of any other potential aneurysms to just take the medication, and that i would be fine. which i am

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:39 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Scary. Hopefully everything works out just fine. I will keep the Lundqvist family in my prayers.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 05:41 PM
Das Uber
Kitten Mittens

Good luck bro...

Das Uber is offline   Reply With Quote