HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peca showing his worth......

Old
10-28-2007, 09:27 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Gotta think Jason Blake has the inside track on the Masterson, playing with leukemia and all.

DJAnimosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 09:30 AM
orthosrgn2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
Gotta think Jason Blake has the inside track on the Masterson, playing with leukemia and all.
And from what I understand, Peca would gladly award it to him

orthosrgn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2007, 10:03 AM
Gomez22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity View Post
That situation kinda slipped my mind for some stupid reason....

Gomez22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:52 PM
fogducker

will he be traded at the deadline?

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:56 PM
jore

Depends where Blue Jackets are in standings at the deadline. If he gets injured again, there may not be many takers or any trade value. If he's healthy and we're in the playoff hunt, I'd keep him, he makes the team better.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 02:59 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogducker View Post
will he be traded at the deadline?
It depends on a couple factors.

1) Can he stay healthy till the deadline? If so, his trade value will go up but so will his value to the Jackets.

2) Can Howson and his agent agree on a contract? I think Peca likes Columbus (purely opinion) so he probably wants to stay here. However, if both sides are really far away on a contract, we'll move him.

3) Does he take the Doug Weight approach? Peca could resign with us in the off season either way, allowing us to rent him for picks/prospects that will help the team in the future.

My gut tells me he's resigned but it's still up in the air at this point.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:01 PM
wildone26*

When he plays he makes a huge difference to the team. You can tell just watching games he is in the lineup vs not. It is frusterating he has trouble staying healthy. Usually I hate injury prone players, but he is an exception. I am very glad he is here even with his injury problems. It would be great if they could resign him.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:02 PM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
It depends on a couple factors.

1) Can he stay healthy till the deadline? If so, his trade value will go up but so will his value to the Jackets.

2) Can Howson and his agent agree on a contract? I think Peca likes Columbus (purely opinion) so he probably wants to stay here. However, if both sides are really far away on a contract, we'll move him.

3) Does he take the Doug Weight approach? Peca could resign with us in the off season either way, allowing us to rent him for picks/prospects that will help the team in the future.

My gut tells me he's resigned but it's still up in the air at this point.
I would rather keep him. I think his value to the team is much more then his value in a trade at this point. The team has other means of building for the future, they already have a good prospect pool coming up. If their biggest goal is to make a run for the playoffs this season, and perhaps even the next couple seasons, it is best to try and keep him here even as he is late in his career.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:09 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildone26 View Post
I would rather keep him. I think his value to the team is much more then his value in a trade at this point. The team has other means of building for the future, they already have a good prospect pool coming up. If their biggest goal is to make a run for the playoffs this season, and perhaps even the next couple seasons, it is best to try and keep him here even as he is late in his career.
I'd rather keep him too but I can understand why we would trade him.

And I don't think he's late in his career. Aside from a broken leg last year, this is the most injury plagued he's been in his career. If he can bounce back and stay healthy, I think he has a good 4-5 years left in him. He's 33, that's no longer old in hockey. Chelios is what, 40 years older and still effective. Age doesn't mean anything anymore.

cydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
jore

Peca has a cheap contract for what he does on the ice. I'd be happy if we resigned him for about the same we pay him now. The only problem with his injuries is that it's hard to plan the longterm line-up and get some chemistry if he keeps missing a lot of games.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 03:16 PM
fogducker

would a second rounder be enough

fogducker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jore View Post
Peca has a cheap contract for what he does on the ice. I'd be happy if we resigned him for about the same we pay him now. The only problem with his injuries is that it's hard to plan the longterm line-up and get some chemistry if he keeps missing a lot of games.
Yeah, he is a 50-60 game depth player, capable of winning you games when he is healthy, but he can't be a building block of a competitive team with his health.

I'd love to see him back for 1.5 mill. There is alot of good that young players can learn from him.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 07:57 PM
Brassard Calder

I also want him back and think we should be able to resign him for pretty cheap...1-1.5 mil should get it done and he's the perfect type of veteran to have on a team.

Brassard Calder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2008, 11:09 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

I was excited when Peca signed after Svitov left. It felt like we got the better end of that deal. He's been one of my favorite players on the team (when he's played) this season. He's gritty, has the leadership & veteran qualities, makes plays & when he's in the lineup, the team usually wins. I'd like to see him come back, maybe with a letter on his chest depending on how things shake out.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Handyy

If we would get a decent return from Peca, I would trade him. I like the effort he brings when he's on ice... But that's just the thing, when he is. Some players are just too fragile and Peca is one of them. For the first two lines we need centers who are there for 80+ games.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
If we would get a decent return from Peca, I would trade him. I like the effort he brings when he's on ice... But that's just the thing, when he is. Some players are just too fragile and Peca is one of them. For the first two lines we need centers who are there for 80+ games.
Well thats the asterisk that would go by his name on my "please bring them back" list. Ideally he would have nothing to with centering Rick Nash next year, but I get excited thinking about a 4th line that can play 12 minutes a night with him in the center. Add to that 6 minutes of PK/2nd PP unit time and he'd be worth 1.5

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 02:02 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Well thats the asterisk that would go by his name on my "please bring them back" list. Ideally he would have nothing to with centering Rick Nash next year, but I get excited thinking about a 4th line that can play 12 minutes a night with him in the center. Add to that 6 minutes of PK/2nd PP unit time and he'd be worth 1.5
This sounds about right to me. I love what Peca does for the team from a maturity perspective. Without being there on the bench or in the locker room, I obviously don't know how he's received, but it just appears that he has a real stabilizing influence that helps a lot. I'd be happy to have him back next year if we don't overpay -- and if we don't use it as an excuse to skimp on the fabled #1 center or PPQB.

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote