HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

OT: best route..

Old
01-07-2008, 09:59 PM
NYR89

vCash: 500
OT: best route..

hey guys i'm looking for the best route into the city from hershey, pa...i'm going to the game tomorrow night and we are trying to find the best way to get there...we would prefer to drive part of the way and take the train in the rest of the way but we aren't sure which to take!

thanks
lets go rangers!!!

NYR89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:12 PM
NYRSinceBirth

You're taking the turnpike up? You could take the tunnel (I forget which comes first, Holland or Lincoln) right off the Turnpike and park near the Garden, but that's $$$. You could probably take one of those quick ferry rides over from Jersey, but someone else will have to chime in with that, I've only done it once.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:17 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
I live on Long Island and take the train to Penn every game. I dont know where you would catch the train from since your the opposite direction from me, but I highly recommend taking the train into the city. You dont want to try to find parking, and the parking price will probably be more than the ticket anyway. If its your first time to MSG, the train lets off literally under the ice. You walk upstairs and your there. Enjoy the game

01-07-2008, 10:26 PM
NYRSinceBirth

NyR424 is right. Penn Station, nearly every subway train goes through it, and I believe all the outer city/state trains go through it. There isn't some crazy train that runs out there is there? If you can't train it all the way here, wait for someone to chime in on how to get in from Jersey, that would be easiest. Although I DID get a spot on 34th right near 6th ave, or maybe it was 7th... but I was LUCKY.

Where are you sitting? I got tickets for tomorrow night too.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 10:51 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
hey guys i'm looking for the best route into the city from hershey, pa...i'm going to the game tomorrow night and we are trying to find the best way to get there...we would prefer to drive part of the way and take the train in the rest of the way but we aren't sure which to take!

thanks
lets go rangers!!!
This is a very difficult question. Your most direct driving route would put you in the Lincoln Tunnel which puts you on Dyer (between 9 and 10) and 36th. HOWEVER, I would make every attempt to avoid entering the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour. There is only 1 of 3 tubes open going in to Manhattan and it will be minimum 45 min delay. I only recommend driving in that way if you are coming in before 4PM.

The driving->train option is the best route. The way I have done it is drive to the Lyndhurst NJ Transit station and take the train in from there. Parking is free - it's just about a half mile walk or less from parking to the train. And its going to be warm so no big deal. It's $7 roundtrip and puts you right into PENN station - all you need to do is walk up steps and you're there.

This may be a little far north for you. I am less familiar with south of Newark but it looks like you may be coming in on 78? The toughest part about this is figuring out how the parking works at some of the NJ Transit stops. Some of them are residential and are for the local town only.

The Union station or Roselle Park station are options. Only about 50 mins in to NYC and close to 78.

Another option: Did you consider taking Amtrak from Philadelphia?

01-07-2008, 11:00 PM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
Where are you sitting? I got tickets for tomorrow night too.
Section 314

BlueShirts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:11 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
This is a very difficult question. Your most direct driving route would put you in the Lincoln Tunnel which puts you on Dyer (between 9 and 10) and 36th. HOWEVER, I would make every attempt to avoid entering the Lincoln Tunnel at rush hour. There is only 1 of 3 tubes open going in to Manhattan and it will be minimum 45 min delay. I only recommend driving in that way if you are coming in before 4PM.
Unless you know the shortcut through Hoboken...

No helix, under it. 12 minutes tops and your in the tunnel during rush hour.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:18 PM
The Thomas J.*

from Hersey PA take rt78E that can take you all the way into manhattan, you can either go though the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan, or right b4 the Tunnel hang a left at the light for Hoboken follow that road around until you get to River & catch a ferry from there, I would just drive in, you can find lots of street parking on the sidestreets & 8th ave around F.I.T & the Garment dist. (36th st and higher, Street parking is allowed at 7pm,I have parked as early as 6:30 & have never gotten a ticket as most meter maids are done for the day. A parking lot will cost anywhere from $17 to $40 depending how far you park from the Garden. Never park right across from the Garden its a rip off & takes 4ever to get out.

Thats my 2 cents I hate public transportation.

Last edited by The Thomas J.*: 01-08-2008 at 12:16 AM.
The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:20 PM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I'm pretty sure that just about every NJ Transit station has a parking lot and most of them are free, so that is clearly your best bet. What I would do is look up the route you are taking from Hershey and scout out the towns and stations along the way and make sure any of them have a lot.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2008, 11:23 PM
clmetsfan

If you're coming from PA, the best bet is to take a NJ Transit train into Newark-Penn Station or Secaucus Junction. From there you can grab a quick train into NY-Penn, which is right under the Garden. Check out www.njtransit.com for schedules.

One note: make sure that the station you drive into has parking. Both Secaucus and Newark do not. This section of the NJ Transit site allows you to look up the station info ahead of time to find out: http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tationLookupTo

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 05:21 AM
NYR89

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
If you're coming from PA, the best bet is to take a NJ Transit train into Newark-Penn Station or Secaucus Junction. From there you can grab a quick train into NY-Penn, which is right under the Garden. Check out www.njtransit.com for schedules.

One note: make sure that the station you drive into has parking. Both Secaucus and Newark do not. This section of the NJ Transit site allows you to look up the station info ahead of time to find out: http://www.njtransit.com/rg/rg_servl...tationLookupTo
i think the train station we ended up picking late last night was secaucus...where would we have to park then if they don't have any?

and thanks for all the help! we are going to be in 304

Old
01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR89 View Post
i think the train station we ended up picking late last night was secaucus...where would we have to park then if they don't have any?

and thanks for all the help! we are going to be in 304
Secaucus DOES NOT have parking. There is no parking close to it. The one thing about getting in to NYC: Everyone has an opinion on the best way, and it seems like they are just opinions and assumptions. Unless they have specific information on where to go, I would be weary of taking their advice.

The only station close to that area I have gone to is Lyndhurst which definitely has free parking. I caution you that some stations may have very small lots or lots with permit only parking.

I have parked at Harrison Station before, which is close to 78, and it was either free parking or metered. BUT it's the PATH train. You will have to change trains to get to 33rd street (not PENN station but really close walk).

I think the only answer about getting in to NYC is doing as much research as you can, then just doing it and hope it works out

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:49 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post

HBNYC: If you can get me through the tunnel at rush hour in 12 minutes, I will buy you a round of drinks for every home game. I have never been so fortunate.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
My wife and I did that on Halloween.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 08:50 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Mass Transit. Getting from NJ to NYC is a nightmare. Good thing I live in Westchester...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:15 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

get a GPS

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Jackson Ranger

My recommedation would be to take NJ Transit. Two options would be:

1. Hamilton, NJ
2. Metropark

Both have parking and beats having to drive into the city. The plus with Hamilton is it's closer to Hershey. The negative, it might be close to 1 1/2 hour train ride. But this might be a positive if you have a couple of six packs with you.

Metropark is about a 35 minute ride into Penn Station and it easy to get to off of the GSP. Negative is you'd have to drink your two six packs very quickly!

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 07:11 AM
NYR89

i ended up going with the Lyndhurst stop and had 0 problems at all..it was a lot better than driving in like last season...thanks for all the help! everything was good except for the loss...and the 4th line playing more than the 1st line...go figure