HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Future Greats and Hearbreaks by Gare Joyce

Old
01-08-2008, 03:37 AM
Alter Haudegen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gare joyce View Post
The letter is from the wife of a former Bronco and now a coach in the Dub. Real objective. Counter-balance that.
You forgot to mention that she is also a family member of one of the players that got killed.

No offense, but I find it a bit rich that you think you can tell the families how they should deal with the death of their loved ones.

Alter Haudegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:11 AM
gare joyce

Bite me. I deleted the post after the previous writer excused himself for threadjacking.

gare joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Haudegen View Post
You forgot to mention that she is also a family member of one of the players that got killed.

No offense, but I find it a bit rich that you think you can tell the families how they should deal with the death of their loved ones.
Well, I certainly think one can have an opinion as to ow the town should treat its present players & how the team & town should memorialize players who tragically died.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Each WHL city is different in the way they treat their players, though none of them have had a past like Swift's.

That being said Medicine Hat treats their kids like they're Gods...even though some of them REALLY don't deserve it.

01-08-2008, 09:06 AM
gare joyce

Sammy, this piece about the (lack of) ceremony on the anniversary is not a feature in the FGs and HBs. In the espn.com feature I don't criticize the team--a family member of one of those killed does, likewise a player badly injured in the crash. In fact the coach and general manager wanted to do more and was shut down by ownership. I really don't care to discuss this too much more--evidently my unforgiveable sins was to come from Toronto, a point much emphasized in local coverage--it's not exactly xeniophobia, but pathetic nonetheless. Putting the "small" in small-town. That I spent a good stretch of time in Swift Current and talked to as many principals as I could did not inoculate me. I came to SC with the presumption that there would be a significant marking of the 20th anniversary of the crash. Had no idea there wouldn't be nothing more than a moment of silence. I don't judge, I just report. I think I'll leave it at that.

And since this I-find-it-rich troll has brought it up, I'll have to type in what I deleted earlier. Yes, the letter writer is married to the brother of one of the deceased--and her husband draws a paycheque from a team in the WHL. The WHL and the Broncos were named in a civil suit by families of two of the deceased (though not the Krugers). A court did not clear the team or the league--the clock ran out on the case. That she would see things the team's and the league's way should surprise no one. That the local paper see things the Broncos' way and would attack me personally is no surprise either--team ownership represents a lot of local businessmen/advertisers.

And Ti-girl, Helm is a helluva player. I had a couple of grafs about him at the Mem Cup but had to delete it for space.

Last edited by gare joyce: 01-08-2008 at 10:08 AM.
Old
01-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
And Ti-girl, Helm is a helluva player.
I remember watching the Tigers his rookie year and go "This kid is going to be GOOD."

No one believed me, but we Tiger fans get spoiled.

Ti-girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
luv_canadian_hockey

The book was an amazing read..I read it on my flight home from the Dominican and didn't put it down..Great job!

luv_canadian_hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 08:42 AM
kblanch1

Gare,
I'm really looking forward to getting the book. I spent an hour or so talking to an Oilers scout at a Lewiston game last season, and he was really good about "telling it like it is" as well. He didn't pull any punches about prospects...and I found it very enlightening.
One question I have for you...what do you make of Torquato? Was the incident in Saginaw (which effectively got him banished to Erie) one of the major reasons he fell so deep in the draft? Or was he just not rated that highly? From what I had gathered...he was a solid prospect prior to "the incident".
I was just curious what your take on it was.

Keep up the great work...I am really looking forward to digging into the book!!!!

kblanch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:02 AM
gare joyce

Going from memory, Torquato was in the top 10 percent of physical testing at the combine. I thought he might get taken higher. I can only suspect the "incident" hurt his stock -- I haven't talked to any scouts about him, don't know what he told them in interviews.

Old
01-11-2008, 11:05 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Gare, were the Blue Jackets the only team you approached about "riding along" during the draft process, or were there others that said yay or nay?

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 12:17 PM
johnny canuckistan

If I recall correctly, Gare approached every team (or close to it). Doug Maclean was the visionary who didn't shoot him down, and lucky for us that DM was still in charge.

One very interesting person in the book, whose name escapes me, was the head of scouting for Columbus. Gare, do you know if he still has a job?

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny canuckistan View Post
If I recall correctly, Gare approached every team (or close to it). Doug Maclean was the visionary who didn't shoot him down, and lucky for us that DM was still in charge.

One very interesting person in the book, whose name escapes me, was the head of scouting for Columbus. Gare, do you know if he still has a job?
Don Boyd,
according to Columbus' website, he's still there as Director of Player Personnel. http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...a_hoc_scouting

That said, the Blue Jackets need to update that bio:
Quote:
In the role, he works closely with President & General Manager Doug MacLean and Executive Vice-President & Assistant General Manager Jim Clark

Kevin Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
The Exiled One

Gare, I'm trying to put together a list of potential college recruits of the 1992 birthyear. Any names to throw out there?

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:51 AM
johnny canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Forbes View Post
Don Boyd,
according to Columbus' website, he's still there as Director of Player Personnel. http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app?...a_hoc_scouting

That said, the Blue Jackets need to update that bio:
Thanks, Kevin.

johnny canuckistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:06 AM
gare joyce

Still reporting to Doug MacLean? Talk about being marginalized.

Don's a great guy, the type you'd go to war with, maybe not the toughest guy in the fight, but the last to run.

An earlier question: I didn't approach every team, not quite. Can you blame me for not asking New Jersey? That was never going to happen. Ditto, say, media unfriendly Colorado. Some other teams weren't about to have anything to do with me ... some old grudges by GMs or whomever. I know about half the gms and agms and more scouting directors and the like, some just professionally, some socially. So I narrowed it down. But even guys I'm friendly with (Doug Risebrough, Doug Wilson) didn't return calls ... must have thought it was a prank. I thought I was going to get shut out until Doug MacLean came along.

Re: 1992s. I'm really not that far ahead. I'll ask around.

Old
01-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Ten

Just picked up my copy from Yorkdale, was signed by Gare too!

Can't wait to start reading it.

Ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 10:33 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

has anyone managed to locate this at the Chapters in Victoria?

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

i'm in the middle of the book. Pretty good so far. Interesting stuff.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
DoctorDoak

Affirmative, Hank. I bought the second-to-last copy the week after Christmas... so I'd ask if they got another shipment yet because I suspect that last one is gone already.

DoctorDoak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 03:25 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

thanks for the response. I just snagged it on amazon.ca, can't wait to read it, Gare.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 05:56 AM
gare joyce

Someone asked about 92s ... I saw a good one on the weekend, a California kid named Emerson Etah who's at Shattuck playing on the prep team as a soph (pretty good company) ... the hat drafted him but no luck getting him ... a roller-hockey kid, great hands

Old
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
The Exiled One

Quote:
Someone asked about 92s ... I saw a good one on the weekend, a California kid named Emerson Etah who's at Shattuck playing on the prep team as a soph (pretty good company) ... the hat drafted him but no luck getting him ... a roller-hockey kid, great hands
Thanks! I actually had him on my list already. Both of the two Canadians I originally had on my list just committed. Jaden Schwartz plans on joining his older brother at Colorado College. Garrett Clarke just committed to North Dakota. If you have any, I'm looking for more Canadians planning to go the college route. Here's my blog if you'd like to check it out...

http://www.collegehockeyrecruitexchange.blogspot.com/

The Exiled One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 03:47 PM
IceBreaker

I picked up FG & HBs the morning I flew to Czech Republic with my family to enjoy the WJCs this year. Reading pieces at night back at the hotel will be one of my favourite memories of the trip.

I vaguely remembered PM's "off the reservation" comment on Price at the draft, but didn't realize until I read the book that Price is native. I didn't take it to be a native-related comment at the time, just something like "out of left field" or "off the radar". I have since asked some friends about what they think "off the reservation" generally means and some indeed think of it as a native-related comment.

I loved the story about Murdock and the drafting of Lecavalier and Richards. I have retold that a couple of times since.

Watching Backstrom get his second set of 4 assists last night, and seeing his calm unaffected face on the bench, reminded me of his comeback to "why are you the only Swede to play for the U20 and Men's national team in the same year."

I have been to the last two WJCs, and found the comparisons between the manner in which the US and Canadian teams operate to reflect my outsiders observation from the arena.

Gare, great job. Thanks for ever-so-briefly satiating my need for more.

IceBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2008, 08:38 PM
gare joyce

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Tough act to follow, I fear, but I'll try.

Old
01-22-2008, 11:07 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

great read.

Thank you Mr. Joyce.

Here's hoping for that GM or Commissioner spot, right?

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote