HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund rumor: Ovechkin to the Preds(e3)

Old
01-08-2008, 01:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Eklund rumor: Ovechkin to the Preds(e3)

for Dumont, both of our 1sts, Zidlicky, and either Weber or Suter

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Kolzig would also be in the deal

Old
01-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Eb0la11

How does this make sense for WSH? Eklund, put down the drugs.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
PredsMan

let's see...2 impact players and a 22 year old blue chip D-man, AND 2 1st rounders?

that's a starting line-up.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:19 PM
tricksnard

Send a message via MSN to tricksnard
This thread is going to be epic.

tricksnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:21 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I would trade pretty much anyone to land Ovechkin, but we all know this isn't Poile's MO.

01-08-2008, 01:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
let's see...2 impact players and a 22 year old blue chip D-man, AND 2 1st rounders?

that's a starting line-up.
Seriously, this is almost a Lindrosian package when you consider where our two first rounders might be...2 top ten picks in a draft like this one....along with a guy that has the potential to be one of the three best defensemen in the entire league....a reasonably priced offensive d-man...and then dumont.

Old
01-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It is a huge package. It is much more valuable than 5 first round picks that would be received if he left the team via RFA.

I still doubt it has even been brought up between the two teams, but to give Eklund some credit.....he does have legitimate sources in Nashville.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It is a huge package. It is much more valuable than 5 first round picks that would be received if he left the team via RFA.

I still doubt it has even been brought up between the two teams, but to give Eklund some credit.....he does have legitimate sources in Nashville.
Right, am I getting excited about this? No.

I'm just taking issue with the "THAT PACKAGE IS t3H suXx" responses.

Old
01-08-2008, 01:34 PM
PredsMan

I think I agree.

this package probably isn't too far off.

I think the UFA Dumont weakens it a bit, though...sign & trade?

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:47 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

This deal is debatable from the Pred perspective. It's a big price to pay, but any time you can trade picks and youngsters for an established superstar just entering his prime, it's hard to say no.

But from our (Washington's) perspective, its utterly ridiculous. And I'm not even going to address the value of the players/picks proposed. I'm simply talking about the type of deal it is. This is the trade of a team *entering* a rebuilding phase, not the trade of a team which believes it is emerging from one, like the Caps. The Caps just plopped down $40 million on veteran free agents. With Semin and Backstrom and Ovechkin, the team has 3 star top 6 forwards under the age of 23. In Clark, Nylander and Kozlov, they have the 3 veterans to fill out the top two lines. This team also has the #6 rated farm system with a glut of good young talent on the way. Defensively, we not only have an emerging star offensive defensemen in Mike Green (currently leading the NHL in defensive goal scoring) to go with solid two-way veterans like Poti and Brian Pothier, but our system is loaded with defensive prospects. Sure, any team would love a Weber or Suter, but the Caps are hardly lacking in defensive prospects. As it is, we're struggling to get ice time for all our young defensemen.

This deal just doesn't work. We're not in a place to want to move a franchise player, and since we're miles under the cap, we have no risk of losing him unless we simply decide to allow it to happen. The only way Ovechkin would get traded at this time is if ownership decided that it simply was not going to spend Crosby-like cash to sign him to a long contract. But every indication is that Leonsis realizes that his franchise may well be dependent on not losing this kid.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 01:55 PM
The Viking Fury

Counter proposal: Same package from Nash

from Washington: Brent Johnson, Ben Clymer, Tomas Fleischmann, conditional7th round draft pick (if Flash re-signs)

PS: Stupid Eklund

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Dicky113

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
This deal is debatable from the Pred perspective. It's a big price to pay, but any time you can trade picks and youngsters for an established superstar just entering his prime, it's hard to say no.

But from our (Washington's) perspective, its utterly ridiculous. And I'm not even going to address the value of the players/picks proposed. I'm simply talking about the type of deal it is. This is the trade of a team *entering* a rebuilding phase, not the trade of a team which believes it is emerging from one, like the Caps. The Caps just plopped down $40 million on veteran free agents. With Semin and Backstrom and Ovechkin, the team has 3 star top 6 forwards under the age of 23. In Clark, Nylander and Kozlov, they have the 3 veterans to fill out the top two lines. This team also has the #6 rated farm system with a glut of good young talent on the way. Defensively, we not only have an emerging star offensive defensemen in Mike Green (currently leading the NHL in defensive goal scoring) to go with solid two-way veterans like Poti and Brian Pothier, but our system is loaded with defensive prospects. Sure, any team would love a Weber or Suter, but the Caps are hardly lacking in defensive prospects. As it is, we're struggling to get ice time for all our young defensemen.
This deal just doesn't work. We're not in a place to want to move a franchise player, and since we're miles under the cap, we have no risk of losing him unless we simply decide to allow it to happen. The only way Ovechkin would get traded at this time is if ownership decided that it simply was not going to spend Crosby-like cash to sign him to a long contract. But every indication is that Leonsis realizes that his franchise may well be dependent on not losing this kid.
isn't Milan Jurcina in your top 6? That guy is a slower, weaker Darrian Hatcher

Dicky113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The inclusion of Zidlicky and Kolzig don't make any sense from Washington's perspective, particularly when you consider Zidlicky's contract and that Brent Johnson has been injured.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:13 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Eklund's officially off his rocker. Why on God's green earth would the caps trade AO?

But, in a fantasy world let's just have fun and imagine how sweet having Radu and AO play together would be...

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:17 PM
Jarnberg

I guess someone needed to generate hits to a certain website.
I appreciate Eklund and his kind words about our market, but in all fairness, this is a ridiculous rumor.

I can't see the Capitals making such a trade honestly. And I can't see Poile trading so many players. And I can't see the ownership paying that much money for Ovechkin, assuming Ovechkin would even want to play here.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:35 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

There are several things that make this proposal, as presented, strange:

Washington would have little use for JP without a guaranteed contract extension with his pending UFA- with the possible exception of hoping to flip him at the trade deadline. It wouldn't make much sense to hope for the latter however.

It would be odd for Nashville to include Shea Weber given that he represents a resource that the Predators have in short supply- a physical defenseman with loads of talent. It would make much more sense to move either Hamhuis or Suter in this trade, but that would probably not be as attractive from Washington's point of view.

The inclusion of Kolzig and the lack of a goalie moving back to Washington also seems odd. Kolzig is their only healthy goalie with any reliability.

Now, let's assume the trade occurs as proposed with Hammer/Suter in Weber's stead. How does that affect the Predators- both the positive and negative?

The addition of Ovechkin would certainly be a huge PR splash (in most every market). I would hope our local media would cover it accordingly. His presence on the ice should certainly be a huge boost to whatever line he would play on (hopefully one of Ovechkin-Legwand-Radulov).

If the Nashville market does fail, Ovechkin certainly makes this team an attractive team for another market.

The downside:

The loss of Zidlicky might have a huge affect on Ville and the PP. Zidlicky was a target for trade proposals for good reason (by myself included). One has to recognize, however, that his pairing with Ville has been a boon to both players and the PP.

What happens to our goalie situation? We cannot afford to carry three goalies. Either Mason or Ellis would have to go in some manner. Regardless, assuming Kolzig becomes the starter for this season, what happens next season?

What happens to our defensive pairings? Let's assume Weber's return is soon enough to not be an issue. That leaves Weber, Ville, Zanon, de Vries, Hammer/Suter, and Klein. If Ville doesn't regress with Zidlicky's departure, that should be fine- but there's certainly a risk and it's not small.

The loss of Dumont also represents the loss of a top six forward- another resource in which we are so low. Of course, we are betting that Ovechkin not only replaces Dumont's production, but also accounts for our lack of a sixth top-six forward. Accounting for Dumont's production is essentially a given. Generating production on the level of two top-six forwards is not a given, but possible if paired with the correct linemates- particularly Radulov.

The final caveat: this must be a sign-and-trade. If Ovechkin comes to Nashville without a new contract, that would represent a completely inept move by Nashville (something I don't typically associate with David Poile).

All that said, this is fun talk but I'm not holding my breath.

EDIT: If, by some happenstance, it is true- I'd do it in a heartbeat if we moved Hammer or Suter and kept Weber. If it had to be Weber, I'd have to think real hard, but I'd probably still do it.

David

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:58 PM
vopatsrash

This is not the type of move I’d expect Poile to make this season.

This is not the type of move I’d expect the ownership to make. I can see them wanting to make a splash, but not this kind of splash.

Poile not sending a GK back doesn’t make sense for either team, imo.

It does pique my curiosity because Eklund does obviously have contacts in Nashville and did call a lot of preds moves that seemed implausible at the time (Kariya/Forsberg namely).

The only way I could see this trade being possible is if Washington truly feels they’ll lose AO after the season based on something that occurred behind the scenes and this would exceed what they’d get in compensation AND Boots DB said he’d donate the cash to make such a move as an effort to give it a go in Nashville and set up his team in their future home if they move.

If this does happen, I call February 16th in the “How long until Trotz unveils the Smithson-Tootoo-Ovechkin line” pool.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
DeathFromAbove

Eklund is a fraud who posts controversial "rumors" like this to increase hits to his site and thus make more money off advertising revenue. (e5)

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:18 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
if the deal is Zids and Suter, then Bring on AO!

if the deal includes Weber, I have a few reservations.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
lugnut76

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
if the deal is Zids and Suter, then Bring on AO!

if the deal includes Weber, I have a few reservations.

Agreed

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:39 PM
VisionQuest*

Team that gets the best (proven) player wins...

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 03:52 PM
lstcyr

The people in this area (northern virginia) would abandon the team completely. AO is their star. It isn't going to happen.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 04:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Eklund will be on 104.5 at 605 CST. George and Darren discussing the deal right now.

Old
01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Eklund is a fraud who posts controversial "rumors" like this to increase hits to his site and thus make more money off advertising revenue. (e5)
I typically agree, but he's got a history with being "on" when it comes to Nashville. He had the Forsberg deal first, the Witt deal first, the Kariya deal first, as well as a lot of inside info about the ownership change.