HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eklund rumor: Ovechkin to the Preds(e3)

Old
01-08-2008, 04:38 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Could this attempt to land Ovechkin be the result of a new ownership group putting their stamp on the franchise? Maybe they opened the purse strings a bit?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
Could this attempt to land Ovechkin be the result of a new ownership group putting their stamp on the franchise? Maybe they opened the purse strings a bit?
Freeman was on TV during an intermission of a Predators home game after the Legwand signing. Other then the fact that he looked nervous to be on TV, he seemed blown away at the contract Legwand had signed, to the effect of, 'wow that is huge amount of money' and as if he just realized what he is getting in to.

I cannot our ownership paying a huge price for Ovechkin unless Boots forces it, preparing for Kansas City.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 05:15 PM
txpd

I hope you guys are not giving any thought beyond a fantasy that this would ever happen.

Ovechkin's face and name is on everything the washington capitals use to market the team. everything.

Kolzig is the only healthy NHL capable goaltender the team has and he is the defacto team captain.

The Capitals have the 3rd best record in the eastern conference since the coaching change and the team is playing now as invisioned from its building plan.

The result of that is they trade the two top players on the team and faces of the franchise for more young defensemen and more draft picks?

It makes no sense.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I hope you guys are not giving any thought beyond a fantasy that this would ever happen.

Ovechkin's face and name is on everything the washington capitals use to market the team. everything.

Kolzig is the only healthy NHL capable goaltender the team has and he is the defacto team captain.

The Capitals have the 3rd best record in the eastern conference since the coaching change and the team is playing now as invisioned from its building plan.

The result of that is they trade the two top players on the team and faces of the franchise for more young defensemen and more draft picks?

It makes no sense.
Don't worry, I don't think anyone here is taking this seriously. At least I hope not...

Old
01-08-2008, 05:31 PM
VisionQuest*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
Eklund will be on 104.5 at 605 CST. George and Darren discussing the deal right now.
hes on XM talking about it right now.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 05:43 PM
lugnut76

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove View Post
Eklund is a fraud who posts controversial "rumors" like this to increase hits to his site and thus make more money off advertising revenue. (e5)

Eklund is in the rumor business not the sports journalist business, therefore we can't expect accuracy (I also don't think he asks for us to buy into him as a legitimate journalist), but we can expect interesting thoughts and dialogue, which this rumor creates.

With that said, I think the above quote is more insane than the rumor Eklund presented. If his interests were to increase hits and subcriptions then why attach a non-traditional (Nashville) hockey market to the rumor? If you are simply making something up, why not pick one of the big boys (Detroit, Philly, Toronto, etc). Surely they would have more interest in such a fraud than a market like Nashville.

I don't know if this lends anymore credability to his rumor. I doubt there is much to go on, but remember he is reporting a RUMOR. Maybe the sides have talked maybe not, but Caps fans need to check their expectations and step back from the ledge.

lugnut76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut76 View Post
Eklund is in the rumor business not the sports journalist business, therefore we can't expect accuracy (I also don't think he asks for us to buy into him as a legitimate journalist), but we can expect interesting thoughts and dialogue, which this rumor creates.

With that said, I think the above quote is more insane than the rumor Eklund presented. If his interests were to increase hits and subcriptions then why attach a non-traditional (Nashville) hockey market to the rumor? If you are simply making something up, why not pick one of the big boys (Detroit, Philly, Toronto, etc). Surely they would have more interest in such a fraud than a market like Nashville.

I don't know if this lends anymore credability to his rumor. I doubt there is much to go on, but remember he is reporting a RUMOR. Maybe the sides have talked maybe not, but Caps fans need to check their expectations and step back from the ledge.
As for the market thing, it still generates a huge buzz around the league if a star player is involved, regardless of the market.

Your point would be valid if it was a rumor involving a 4th line player moving from one market to a small market like Nashville, which he obviously would not use to generate hits.

However, a star player moving to any market is likely to generate hits from around the league, not just the markets involved.

Old
01-08-2008, 05:59 PM
lugnut76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
As for the market thing, it still generates a huge buzz around the league if a star player is involved, regardless of the market.

Your point would be valid if it was a rumor involving a 4th line player moving from one market to a small market like Nashville, which he obviously would not use to generate hits.

However, a star player moving to any market is likely to generate hits from around the league, not just the markets involved.

True, but you can't tell me an AO to Nashville rumor creates the league wide buzz that a AO to Philly rumor would. If you are going to report something fraudulently for your own gain, why not go for maximum impact?

Old
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Let's look at the things Eklund had before anyone else when it comes to Nashville

Kariya (1/2 world said he was nuts)
Witt (not so much of a reach but still he was right)
Forsberg (most said we had no shot)
Vokoun being traded to resign Kariya (right about the idea, just didn't happen that way, but most said we wouldn't trade Vokoun)
Also knew more than most with timing of new ownership items.

I have no doubt he has a good inside source in Nashville.

Still don't think this happens.

On the other hand, this seems exactly like something Freeman would want to do.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

i don't know, is it a case of him having sources or throwing enough crap against a wall and some of it sticking?

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:18 PM
lugnut76

It appears that Eklund isn't the only person on hockeybuzz.com that has heard the rumors. Does the fact that Paul McCann and Brandon Felder report similar rumblings (maybe different pieces from Nashville) lend any credability to the rumor to anyone else?

Old
01-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Bad Karma

I think Felder has some of the same contacts, but they would have insight. If there is any.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Paincakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
i don't know, is it a case of him having sources or throwing enough crap against a wall and some of it sticking?
I think you nailed it.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 02:14 AM
sparkle twin
drrrty player

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
It just seems too far fetched to be real. I can't understand why Washington would even consider trading Ovechkin, it would be like franchise suicide. And no way at all should Weber be involved. I really think what Eklund said at the end of the interview was probably more right, that this is mostly just talk to have some backup options and just see what's out there in case the Caps realize 150% that they won't be able to resign AO at all and don't have to risk losing him to an offer sheet over the summer.

How could we trade one of Nashville's Most Beautiful people?

Just to have fun....we would have 2 Alex the Greats! My God that would be a show with AO every night and I have no doubt people would come to see him. He could be bigger than "VY" in this city!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 05:24 AM
vipera1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Let's look at the things Eklund had before anyone else when it comes to Nashville

Kariya (1/2 world said he was nuts)
Witt (not so much of a reach but still he was right)
Forsberg (most said we had no shot)
Vokoun being traded to resign Kariya (right about the idea, just didn't happen that way, but most said we wouldn't trade Vokoun)
Also knew more than most with timing of new ownership items.

I have no doubt he has a good inside source in Nashville.

Still don't think this happens.

On the other hand, this seems exactly like something Freeman would want to do.
That's right. I almost forgot that any day now Paul Kariya is going to sign a contract extension....

vipera1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 12:49 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipera1960 View Post
That's right. I almost forgot that any day now Paul Kariya is going to sign a contract extension....
so did you even read the post that you just quoted?

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 07:31 PM
AirborneVirus

To me this all seems really suspect. Even more so than the degree of suspicion already surrounding a rumor of this star power. Adding Kolzig and not sending a goalie back to the caps just doesn't seem to fit. We certainly can't be carrying 3 goalies on our roster.

Besides that, i'm really hoping for this to go down though, unlikely as it probably is.

AirborneVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 11:36 PM
JussiM

Well **** me sideways if that was to happen.

Highly doubt it will happen though, just like I doubted the Forsberg trade.

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 08:54 AM
SmokeyClause

I enjoy every time Eklund posts a rumor. It allows the intelligent posters a chance to see the board idiots surface, en masse, to whine and complain about how "he makes stuff up." It really does show you how reading comprehension is a lost art these days. He usually qualifies all his rumors with something to this effect: It could be nothing, but people involved with both teams are telling me that they are hearing it. Yet, there is a distinct assumption made by the vocal idiot that he's saying a trade is happening.

His rumors carry even more weight when they are connected to Nashville. I would submit that no one media member has been more "in the know" regarding Nashville trades and developments than Eklund. He has been on the leading edge of some of the most important moves in Predators history. If anyone would break a Predator trade of any magnitude, I think it's assumed by most Preds fans that it would be Eklund that would be doing it.

Despite Eklund being the most well-connected media insider as it relates to the Predators AND despite him clearly qualifying his comments by saying they are rumors at this point, you have the board idiots up in arms yet again. I know that most of Eklund's rumors are just that, rumors. And I dismiss most of it because the nature of his work and reporting leads to very high failure rates. But who really is the idiot here? Eklund or the myriad of posters (and other media personnel) who get whipped into a vitriolic frenzy every time he posts a rumor?

Old
01-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Brazz
This boat is 4 real!

eks, you so crazy

Brazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:48 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
Ovy signs biggest contract in the NHL, extends stay with the Caps.

READ ABOUT IT HERE

well the dream was nice while it lasted, time to wake up.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
makes it pretty clear that IF there really was talk flying about trading him it was simply a negotiation tactic by his agent.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
makes it pretty clear that IF there really was talk flying about trading him it was simply a negotiation tactic by his agent.
Ovechkin doesn't have an agent. He represents himself.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
I disagree with your conclusion here. To me, it is exactly as Eklund said. The Caps were in talks to sign him but were negotiating with other teams in case the deal fell through. This fits the rumor to a 'T' if you ask me. In his last update, there was talk that either a trade or a deal would be struck quite soon. He never said the Preds would land Ovechkin, just as no one on this board felt it would actually happen. But it's reasonable to believe that the Preds submitted a proposal and that the Caps were listening if they couldn't get Ovechkin signed. It's all a mute point now, but all signs point to Eklund being correct here.

Old
03-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff