HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jagr

Old
01-11-2008, 01:44 AM
FLYLine24*

vCash: 500
Jagr

Jagr...1 month away from being 36 years old...

-Are some of us really expecting him to keep playing like he did in his prime?

-Are some of us really crying over the fact he is terrible at defense and takes a bad penalty when somehow, HE is the first FORWARD to come back on a PP or ES?

-Are some of use really crying over the fact he is "me, me, me" when he comes out to the media and says he wants rookie Dubinsky on his line, despite not getting any points with him?

-Are people really booing the man who carried the team the last 2 years in points to the playoffs?

-Are people really booing the man that they were chanting "MVP!" 2 years ago?

-Once again, do people not understand that as players get older, they become less effective as they were in their prime?

-Do people realize that a offensive froward, they key on OFFENSE...not the defense? Their specialty is offense...and they are better offensively then 95% of the league...thus they should be focusing on that more then anything.

-Jagr has 17 points in the last 14 games.

Just a few questions I sent out to the Ranger fans who boo him and don't want him on the team anymore.

Please, answer this...why is he hurting the team more then helping it? He was never brought to the team for his defensive ability...

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:52 AM
Bury Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post

-Are some of us really crying over the fact he is terrible at defense and takes a bad penalty when somehow, HE is the first FORWARD to come back on a PP or ES?

-Are some of use really crying over the fact he is "me, me, me" when he comes out to the media and says he wants rookie Dubinsky on his line, despite not getting any points with him?

-Are people really booing the man who carried the team the last 2 years in points to the playoffs?

-Once again, do people not understand that as players get older, they become less effective as they were in their prime?

-Do people realize that a offensive froward, they key on OFFENSE...not the defense? Their specialty is offense...and they are better offensively then 95% of the league...thus they should be focusing on that more then anything.

Just a few questions I sent out to the Ranger fans who boo him and don't want him on the team anymore.

Please, answer this...why is he hurting the team more then helping it? He was never brought to the team for his defensive ability...
I'm not going to say anything (for once) because Jagr is my favorite hockey player. He's been my favorite since I was a child (totally not a Pens fan) and I've followed his entire career. Him becoming a NYR was like a dream come true, until now. Slowly, it's becoming a nightmare--not due to his play in NY--but the way some of the fans treat him....as if they could do better.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:56 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:

I'm surprised u started a Jagr thread, so you must be very frustrated. I think age his shoulder surgury & the weight loss he incuured when he was recovering has held him back, not going to say he is done, but he certanily doesn't look the same when he was carrying us the past 2 years.

Off topic, when did Jagr start tucking his Jersey in?

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:00 AM
h0ckeyman

Quote:

Its just someone to take the frusteration out on man. Im sure Jaromir as the captain knows that he has more responsibility than any other player for the way the team does. He gets boo'd and im sure it really bothers him, he knows its his team. Im not condoning booing the guy, but im not saying its completely out of line either. Thats how it goes in NY, every player knows that. It may be the reason jagr held off on wanting the C for a season too.

Basically if a team is playing like crap, the way we are...the captain gets the most pressure, ESPECIALLY in NY.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Hemlawk86

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Off topic, when did Jagr start tucking his Jersey in?
I just noticed it this year, I think its a recent thing he's doing. The have his jersey tucked in also in NHL 08 for xbox 360.

I believe once he hurt his shoulder, it took alot of wind out of his sail, physically and mentally. He's still a great player.

Hemlawk86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:07 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ckeyman View Post
Its just someone to take the frusteration out on man. Im sure Jaromir as the captain knows that he has more responsibility than any other player for the way the team does. He gets boo'd and im sure it really bothers him, he knows its his team. Im not condoning booing the guy, but im not saying its completely out of line either. Thats how it goes in NY, every player knows that. It may be the reason jagr held off on wanting the C for a season too.

Basically if a team is playing like crap, the way we are...the captain gets the most pressure, ESPECIALLY in NY.
If Jagr had the A....I still feel he would have would have been booed by "some" crazy fans tonight like he was.

They just read so much about his past, forget what he did for NY in the last 2 years..and just boo him when he isnt scoring (again forgetting about the rest of the team and the head of the team).

I just can't figure that one out.

When Jagr is off the team next year...I can't wait to see Renney get all the blame, where it should be from the start.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:27 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I don't care who is to blame, but all I know is that we are losing and the fans are restless and when that happens usually we see change, not necessarily for the better.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:50 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Jagr can do much better then he is doing, for christ sakes. He passed up an amazing oportunity to shoot during the game, he dished it off to nowhere land.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:05 AM
Ace2008

quite SIMPLY a great post

respect the captain re join Prucha and keep dubinsky w/ JJ

remember it was gretzky that passed the torch to Jagr in Wayne's final game and now... amazingly enough its Jagr's turn ...as a weird side not this season seems like the NYR are on a downhill spiral since teams figured out the tight checking style that Ted Nolan used and now is the time to make something happen w/ the young guys...

NYR have enough 20 min a game defencemen to roll 15 mins a line for forwards and have 3 sets of defencemen playing 20 mins a night....lets see it and give the kids more quality ice and less time for the tough guys (orr, hollwegg are great against the ATL/Philly/NYI goons but otherwise let the skill kids like g.Moore and N. Dawes get some more quality ice)

Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If Mark Messier coming off a 1991-92 Hart Trophy winning season got booed out of MSG during the end of 1992-93 season,then Jammy Jagr is fair game.Messier was playing with torn cartilage in his rib cage and still accepted his medicine for a bad season and engineering the canning of Roger Neilson.The next season Messier was the toast of the town by hoisting the Cup.It's pro sports in New York.

Spare us the crocodile tears

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:52 AM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If Mark Messier coming off a 1991-92 Hart Trophy winning season got booed out of MSG during the end of 1992-93 season,then Jammy Jagr is fair game.Messier was playing with torn cartilage in his rib cage and still accepted his medicine for a bad season and engineering the canning of Roger Neilson.The next season Messier was the toast of the town by hoisting the Cup.It's pro sports in New York.

Exactly, the Garden Faithfull spare no one!

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:06 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:

And your point is???????? I haven't heard about Jagr engineering Renneys ride out of town? You know something we don't? Messier was catered to WAYYYY more than Jagr has been since being here, and so ..he DESERVED more flack than Jagr . In my eyes, even with the perceived flaws in his game, Jagr has done a great job of conforming to the Ranger way, instead of demanding the Rangers conform to what he wants. I wouldn't be shocked to see Jagr turn around next season wherever he is and have an incredible season. No one is MORE dissapointed with his season so far than him, and I beleive he would be the first person to tell you that, but its a combination of factors and I truly don't believe his AGE has ANYTHING to do with it. The guy stays in pretty tremendous shape.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:31 AM
The New Originals

To be honest, he isn't really that much less skilled than he was two years ago; it's just that he doesn't have the weight that he did. Two years ago, no one could knock him off the puck. This year, you expect him to lose it within two seconds of carrying it.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:38 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
And your point is???????? I haven't heard about Jagr engineering Renneys ride out of town? You know something we don't? Messier was catered to WAYYYY more than Jagr has been since being here, and so ..he DESERVED more flack than Jagr . In my eyes, even with the perceived flaws in his game, Jagr has done a great job of conforming to the Ranger way, instead of demanding the Rangers conform to what he wants. I wouldn't be shocked to see Jagr turn around next season wherever he is and have an incredible season. No one is MORE dissapointed with his season so far than him, and I beleive he would be the first person to tell you that, but its a combination of factors and I truly don't believe his AGE has ANYTHING to do with it. The guy stays in pretty tremendous shape.
You can't figure out my point.That's your problem right there.

The point is everyone including Derek Jeter(when was struggling big time 2-3 years ago)is fair game to get booed.If they booed Jeter a homegrown Yankee with 4 rings,why can't they boo Jagr?They booed Mark Messier.Patrick Ewing.Phil Simms.Mike Richter.

Go to a game,watch his piss poor effort,his body language and come tell us why Jagr can't get booed

Old
01-11-2008, 06:41 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Exactly, the Garden Faithfull spare no one!
Tell that to our friend bleedgreenblue

I guess the fans spending $200 to attend a Ranger game can't boo the $8.36 million star of the team.Jagr makes $44,705.88 per day of the 187 day NHL season.Can't boo him

Old
01-11-2008, 09:15 AM
JayMan82

Jagr, Mara + Straka to the San Jose Sharks

Bernier, Carle, a 1st and a 3rd in '08 to the New York Rangers

Tag it, and Bag it!

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't want to boo Jagr, I want to trade him.

In all seriousness. He helped us out of our 7-year nightmare, and for that I'm grateful. But he is not our future. He has to be looked at like an employee. That's what he is. When I have employees that I feel are no longer useful to the "team" or direction of the company I let them go.

Not even getting intot the $$ aspect here. the point is, he is NOT going to get us where we need to go. So don't hesitate or try to "make it work". It doesn't work. Cut clean and move on.

Package him with Straka, it will be like a spoonful of sugar to make the medicine go down easier....

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:33 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:

yes, no croc tears...try dragon tears..which we all know turn into jellybeans!

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Your Dang Tyutin

Yeah really, trading him is a little extreme. No doubt he's not the same Jagr, but let his contract run out. Show him some respect for what he did for us

Your Dang Tyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Blueshirt Brawler

I hate to say it but Jagr is a terrible captain. He should just step down. And I honestly never thought I'd say that. He just can't handle the pressure and let's face it this guy has never won a thing without Mario Lemieux. Jagr isn't 18/19 years old anymore and he's not fooling anyone with the way he sets himself up to shoot the puck. Maybe it is time that the Rangers see what they can get for him. I NEVER thought I would be saying this but with this team going nowhere maybe it is time to pull a 2003/04 and start dealing the vets for young players and prospects. The Rangers will never do it but they honestly should because this team, as currently put together, cannot win the Stanley Cup. Heck I don't think they can even win more than one playoff round.

Blueshirt Brawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Dang Tyutin View Post
Yeah really, trading him is a little extreme. No doubt he's not the same Jagr, but let his contract run out. Show him some respect for what he did for us
I disagree. If we keep going this way, he is going to get booed a lot more. That's not respect, but it is what WILL happen.

Do it now and he leaves with dignity.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:44 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:

Jagr is a phenomenon but he is not a superman
Remember Mess was still very good at 36. Jagr can be too, but carrying the team on his shoulder the way Ovechkin sometimes does - he cannot, or can't any longer do.

Jagr can shield, hold puck, pass, shoot and sometimes create Magic. He will not be able to do it every night. Relying on him to do so is simply wrong.
Unquestionably he needs a comfort zone.......Hence the Nylander fiasco. not only did we pay more for Gomez but we are waisting the money we are paying for Jagr because we are getting only half the guy at this point.

Slats was keeping his fingers crossed Gomez and Jagr what can go wrong.they;ll be great together
Worst case I'll play Jagr with Drury......

I simply don't think anyone outthere will be ready to cough up fair market value for a 36 year old enigma

Last edited by Sad London Ranger: 01-11-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Your Dang Tyutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrappedinNJ View Post
I disagree. If we keep going this way, he is going to get booed a lot more. That's not respect, but it is what WILL happen.

Do it now and he leaves with dignity.
I disagree as well, sure he's not playing well, but he still 2nd on our team in scoring. He's still a pretty big assest to this team (which is sad) despite his extremely slow start. Trading him isn't the thing to do at the moment.

Your Dang Tyutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

All the booing at the Garden makes the cheering so much better. I even boo the organ guy when he messes up.
Its the NYC way.

"Hey, Im walkingg here"

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:54 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I'll support him this year, i'm not one to boo anyway...

But i dont want him here next year. I think with Gomez and Drury on the team and a new mix of youth the Rangers need a new go-to guy, a new captain and a better supporting cast to maximize your two top centers who are signed until hell freezes over.

Also with the departures of players like Shanny, Straka (if they go) and Malik and possibly Prucha - this team will be much different next season and less Chech centralized.

Like i said, ill support him this year, but im hoping he doesnt hit his option year. IF the Rangers continue to play so inconsistent, then we know they can't make it past the second round anyway - so why even get there to extend Jagrs contract?

I vote no. I think it will be better for this team if he doesnt come back, whichever way that happens.

Love the guy, but have to move on next year.

Last edited by HockeyBasedNYC: 01-11-2008 at 09:59 AM.
HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote