HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I got PWNED (and injured) (Question Inside...)

Old
01-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 500
I got PWNED (and injured) (Question Inside...)

I was at my game last night and we were playing this actually decent team, they have a phenominal goalie and a 6'6" defender who is fantastic. I was in the offensive zone trying to screen the goalie and out of nowhere this tank comes crushing me down to the ice, I didn't have the puck, I wasn't getting the puck, and this guy who's probably 250lbs comes from the side and lays me out flat. I have a terrible back and the first thing I felt trying to get up was where I tore it a while ago. It was stiff and it stung. I think I may have done something to it again because it's really tight and I cant walk without limping. I'm puting ice on it but is there anything else I should do (I'm getting it massaged alot too)?

I've had back problems alot before, but now it's not surgical... it's just sore so I just need some remedies that works. I'll probably miss 5-10 games now too. I'm gonna coach.

Last edited by Granlund2Pulkkinen*: 01-10-2008 at 04:47 PM.
Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:38 PM
VisionQuest*

Thanks for the update.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

It was a question...?

Old
01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
SteelCitySensFan

Well...the massage helps def...and if you get stiffness, it sounds lame, but yoga has been known to help.

SteelCitySensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:27 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Maybe you don't need to switch leagues after all?

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 01:24 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
They have these people now called chiropractors who can fix your back so you don't walk around complaining that you have a bad back. If you don't have insurance they will take cash.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:56 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post
bahah

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
I was at my game last night and we were playing this actually decent team, they have a phenominal goalie and a 6'6" defender who is fantastic. I was in the offensive zone trying to screen the goalie and out of nowhere this tank comes crushing me down to the ice, I didn't have the puck, I wasn't getting the puck, and this guy who's probably 250lbs comes from the side and lays me out flat. I have a terrible back and the first thing I felt trying to get up was where I tore it a while ago. It was stiff and it stung. I think I may have done something to it again because it's really tight and I cant walk without limping. I'm puting ice on it but is there anything else I should do (I'm getting it massaged alot too)?

I've had back problems alot before, but now it's not surgical... it's just sore so I just need some remedies that works. I'll probably miss 5-10 games now too. I'm gonna coach.
that sucks

btw nicole graves is awesome

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:19 AM
RedK

You should go to a doctor and get it checked out.

RedK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
I was in the same situation this summer and now I have to quit school temporarely because the injury worsened to a point where I can't sit for more then 30 minutes.

If you have inflammation, a massage therapist can actually worsen your situation. You should go to a doctor, ask for physiotherapy and go to a chiro to ensure your spinal alignement is good.

Do NOT try to crack your back, lift heavy things or do heavy exercices. You can put some ice on and off for 15 minutes, heat/cold therapy's usually good to calm the swelling and stiffness.

Seriously, back injuries can degenerate fast and trust me when I tell you they can be more painfull then anything you've felt before if your nerve gets irritated.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:52 AM
frito

Forget the chiropractor. It sounds like it could be something more serious that they could fix. Go stratight to an orthopaedic/sprots medicine Doc. I agree too about the massage. Forego those until you really know what the injury is. Depending on the injury, that could just make it worse.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
prevail

Wait a day to see if it get's any better, if not then get it checked out like others say.

Only things I do are: take a muscle relaxer or advil (or anything stronger you might have in the US), hot showers, hot pads, then the next day or awhile after switch to cold I hear.

I just hurt my back at the gym yesterday and its feeling so much better with robaxacet and a got shower

prevail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
javorka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
...Seriously, back injuries can degenerate fast and trust me when I tell you they can be more painfull then anything you've felt before if your nerve gets irritated.
Oh yeah, nerve pain is the worst! I had problems with sciatica when I was expecting our daughter, and that was more painful than the delivery! (I'd share more, but pretty sure no one here wants to hear about that...)....

javorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:13 PM
UserName

have your parents pay the medical expenses so you can feel better as soon as possible.

UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:22 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I hope I didn't retear a muscle...

Old
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
mayoradamwest*

Quote:

might not be the answer you want, but Yoga is saving me a ton of trouble. Best thing I've ever taken up.

mayoradamwest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:26 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by javorka View Post
Oh yeah, nerve pain is the worst! I had problems with sciatica when I was expecting our daughter, and that was more painful than the delivery! (I'd share more, but pretty sure no one here wants to hear about that...)....
Trust me, I've been going through a bad case of sciatica since November and I have even more respect then I used to for pregnant women. I've had some blood vessel bursts before and subsequent clean ups without anasthetic and I can safely say sciatica pain is a lot more painfull. I had improper alignement though + a sprain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayoradamwest View Post
might not be the answer you want, but Yoga is saving me a ton of trouble. Best thing I've ever taken up.
Pilates are great as well, so is swimming (when you're ready). Swiss ball exercices have helped me reduce the pain by half.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:10 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I hope I didn't retear a muscle...
If you've cracked a vertabrae or ruptured a disc you'd pray is was just a torn muscle....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 07:16 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyug View Post
Tell you what, give me your league info, I'll come out there and mark you all game. Either you'll have fun or you'll be paralyzed. It's a coin flip, really.
Was it this guy?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I made an appointment with a chiropractor for Tuesday. I hope its not serious. It's still killing me. I sleep with a heating pad now on my back. I wake up sweating and clammy now haha

Old
01-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by javorka View Post
Please, please tell me you have never worked out and used a nautilus machine for adductors/abductors.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 01:51 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded and Agrestic View Post
Trust me, I've been going through a bad case of sciatica since November and I have even more respect then I used to for pregnant women. I've had some blood vessel bursts before and subsequent clean ups without anasthetic and I can safely say sciatica pain is a lot more painfull. I had improper alignement though + a sprain.

Pilates are great as well, so is swimming (when you're ready). Swiss ball exercices have helped me reduce the pain by half.
I'm interested in this. Sciatica usually occurs when the piriformis, or surrounding muscle(s), compress the nerve. How does improper alignment cause sciatica?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 03:28 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caner Soze View Post

Just stretch out your back for like 10 minutes MORE before and after physical activity. That usually helps me when my back starts to act up.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:04 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Buy a Tempurpedic bed. Go for the top of the line, thank me later.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:33 PM
MikeD

Quote:
I made an appointment with a chiropractor for Tuesday. I hope its not serious. It's still killing me. I sleep with a heating pad now on my back. I wake up sweating and clammy now haha
If the Chiro will work on you with out X-ray first, LEAVE.....

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote