HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Player's Salary Over Time

Old
01-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
OT: Player's Salary Over Time

I had an interesting conversation with a friend who knows Craig Conroy pretty well (In fact, he had Craig sign my team USA jersey before the last World Cup).

Conroy has admitted to earning more than $25MM in NHL salary and investments over the course of the years, and knows he'll have to take less than $2MM in his next contract to stay in Calgary. He, Chris Pronger, and a couple of other NHLers have created a company that buys, rehabs, and flips shopping centers, and apparently they're making a nice profit on that operation. So, he's not too worried about his future (that and he lives near Watertown, NY in hte off-season).

This got me thinking, if a mid-tier player like Conroy had saved that much over his playing career, how much have guys like Shanny & Jagr saved? This, to me, really underscores just how much money these guys make, and if they've been smart, will never have to worry about money ever again. If they're REALLY smart, or have good advisors, it should set their kids up nicely, too.

Now, dovetail this with the reports that Shanny bought a $14MM condo, and it's a wonder he didn't buy two.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Investments, thats the key.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 04:50 PM
MTK

i am guessing they saved pretty well since Shannahan purchased that nice place in the city...

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:01 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Well if your smart like Ovechkin and broker a deal with no agent that will save u a ton of $$$

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:12 PM
NYR1724

The key in all of this is the agents and the services that their agencies offer. Most of them help set up the players investments and pretty much every facet outside of actually playing the game. If Jags is smart with his money (by the sound of his gambling woes, it doesn't seem that way lol) he is probably set up for the rest of his life.

NYR1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:23 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Well, Jagr with his gambling problems might not be the wealthiest superstar from recent years, I'd probably say guys like Sakic & Lidstrom have made the best of their money, since they've been earning a good 7 mil+ for the past 10 years, but are also bright enough to not just spend it all.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:26 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
I had an interesting conversation with a friend who knows Craig Conroy pretty well (In fact, he had Craig sign my team USA jersey before the last World Cup).

Conroy has admitted to earning more than $25MM in NHL salary and investments over the course of the years, and knows he'll have to take less than $2MM in his next contract to stay in Calgary. He, Chris Pronger, and a couple of other NHLers have created a company that buys, rehabs, and flips shopping centers, and apparently they're making a nice profit on that operation. So, he's not too worried about his future (that and he lives near Watertown, NY in hte off-season).

This got me thinking, if a mid-tier player like Conroy had saved that much over his playing career, how much have guys like Shanny & Jagr saved? This, to me, really underscores just how much money these guys make, and if they've been smart, will never have to worry about money ever again. If they're REALLY smart, or have good advisors, it should set their kids up nicely, too.

Now, dovetail this with the reports that Shanny bought a $14MM condo, and it's a wonder he didn't buy two.
Conroy was one of the players I wanted at the deadline before he got dealt to Flames for Lundmark and 2 picks. Imagine if we had Conroy.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 05:41 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCallahan43 View Post
Conroy was one of the players I wanted at the deadline before he got dealt to Flames for Lundmark and 2 picks. Imagine if we had Conroy.
Conroy is very underrated, he always lands on a contender, he is the type of player you trade for to get you over the hump, not start a rebuilding process or use as a stop gap.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Conroy is very underrated, he always lands on a contender, he is the type of player you trade for to get you over the hump, not start a rebuilding process or use as a stop gap.
so were rebuilding while making the playoffs, well the devils do this and win, so im sure the rangers are trying too.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
Well if your smart like Ovechkin and broker a deal with no agent that will save u a ton of $$$

I think by CBA standards, agents aren't allowed to make more than .03% on any deal. that's 3.75mm out of 124.00 mm hardly a ton of money relatively speaking.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote