HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Met Gomez last night

Old
01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

vCash: 500
Met Gomez last night

Had the pleasure of not only meeting Scott Gomez last night but also spoke with him for a while about the current state of the team. He stopped and took the time to shake our hands. After a quick greeting I went right into it with him.

My brother asked him, what he though was the biggest problem right now.

He responded by saying that "penalties are killing them, and they are taking bad penalties at inopportune times" He commented that when he was a Dev, and someone took a bad penalty like that, they would lose a shift or two or possible worse" Said that on the Rangers "they don't discipline like that, but Renney should"

He had a gash on his nose also, I asked how he got it...he said something like "ah, it's nothing!"

I said that it looks like overall the team comes out skating well, but then goes into lapses where nobody seems to hustle. He replied that yes they are skating well but..."the horses need to be on the ice when the game is on the line" I said yeah it is surprising to me that the 4th line has been put on the ice when the team is down late in the 3rd. He said the "4th line does a tremendous job, but...late in the game you need to have the horses on the ice" He also said some changes will be made shortly...Now I didn't know if he meant that would be some sort of line schuffling, or a trade, or someone getting shipped to Hartford? The topic changed to Alaska, and fishing and that was all the hockey talk we had, but I was surprised that some of his comments especially about the discipline thing. Glad he wasn't giving the politically correct answers.

All in all a real genuine guy, and I am glad I got to meet him and shoot the sheet with him for a little while.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:29 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Very interesting stuff. I also had the pleasure of meeting him, although I didnt have a conversation with him. He was wearing a backwards cap and sandels, just like a normal everyday guy

01-11-2008, 08:33 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Had the pleasure of not only meeting Scott Gomez last night but also spoke with him for a while about the current state of the team. He stopped and took the time to shake our hands. After a quick greeting I went right into it with him.

He responded by saying that "penalties are killing them, and they are taking bad penalties at inopportune times" He commented that when he was a Dev, and someone took a bad penalty like that, they would lose a shift or two or possible worse" Said that on the Rangers "they don't discipline like that, but Renney should"
hmmm Sather always talked about accountability and discipline, i guess it only happenes with youngsters and when u play like malik.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 08:50 PM
ThisYearsModel

Gomez has been a pleasant surprise for me on what a team guy he is. You can tell he loves being a Ranger and cares about the team goals. I like that a lot.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:11 PM
OldBlueSeats

everyone was ready to run Gomez out of town in the 1st 9 games and Drury got a pass for some strange reason? I guss its the big goal from last year? Oh I forgot that was against us.. Anyway this team better look to improve the D 1st.. bring in a stud

OldBlueSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:12 PM
IanB

He's definitely committed... here to be a part of the team, not collect a pay check. Odd how easy it is to forget he was a Devil for the last couple years.

IanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:14 PM
King Henrik

My friend who has season tix in 342.. he went walking near the hotel.. he saw Gomez behind a hot dog cart.. he was very hesitant to sign.. my friend said.. ya got a lot of people there waiting for ya.. he's like "**** im late lol...

King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:16 PM
OldBlueSeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist Saves View Post
He's definitely committed... here to be a part of the team, not collect a pay check. Odd how easy it is to forget he was a Devil for the last couple years.

He's definitely committed, a bit overpaid but thats what it takes to bring in a solid UFA at 27. He's a real good player and I dont think I have ever seen ANYONE skate with the puck the way he comes out of the Defensive end..

OldBlueSeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 09:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBlueSeats View Post
He's definitely committed, a bit overpaid but thats what it takes to bring in a solid UFA at 27. He's a real good player and I dont think I have ever seen ANYONE skate with the puck the way he comes out of the Defensive end..
uh... Brian Leetch?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2008, 11:48 PM
NYR Viper

i wonder what he meant by shake-ups.......if the team knows i wonder if that is what is bothering them....?

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:15 AM
NHLhockey1234

Quote:

He had a gash on his nose also, I asked how he got it...he said something like "ah, it's nothing!"

I said that it looks like overall the team comes out skating well, but then goes into lapses where nobody seems to hustle. He replied that yes they are skating well but..."the horses need to be on the ice when the game is on the line" I said yeah it is surprising to me that the 4th line has been put on the ice when the team is down late in the 3rd. He said the "4th line does a tremendous job, but...late in the game you need to have the horses on the ice" He also said some changes will be made shortly...Now I didn't know if he meant that would be some sort of line schuffling, or a trade, or someone getting shipped to Hartford? The topic changed to Alaska, and fishing and that was all the hockey talk we had, but I was surprised that some of his comments especially about the discipline thing. Glad he wasn't giving the politically correct answers.

All in all a real genuine guy, and I am glad I got to meet him and shoot the sheet with him for a little while.
Renney's line combinations/ice time allocations are the reason we were doomed from the getgo. I don't know why he has overdone this HBO line this year. It didn't seem obvious to me last year that he was using the 4th line overtly a lot.

The fact that Hollweg got two goals is no surprise to me. If you give a guy enough ice time, he can score, just imagine what you could do if you double shifted the first line a couple of times during the game. A 1st line is a FIRST LINE. You make it that so that you can COUNT on that line. If they get too tired and can't score after like 10-15 games, yea, of course, allocate the time to the other lines, it doesn't really make a difference. I would like to see an interview once where Gomez and Jagr both said that Renney just overshifted them too much. I want to see Jagr passed out on the floor and hollering in Czech that his whole body hurts.

With the loss of Nylander, Renney just doesn't have confidence in the first line since it's their first year and they need time to gel. But Renney is so contradictory of himself that he ends up sticking the 4th line. Establish a well scoring 1st line for freeking sake! Why do you care about defense so much when we aren't scoring and Hank isn't his best.

I highly doubt that if Renney put the 1st line against LeCavy and St. Louis that they would have scored more goals. The entire 1st line isn't so defensively inept (Am I wrong?).

I find it funny when you ask players in person about a team. They always use these weird analogies with fans. Just tell us straight up that Renney's being an @$$ with the lines and the ice time he is allocating sucks.

I remember talking to Al Montoya in Portland, ME and talking to him about the chance to play in the NHL this season. His facial expression was sort of mixed but at the same time he had a lot of respect for Henrik but was sort of telling me subconsciously that he doesn't think Vally is that great and that Renney should give him at least one chance (I know that's obvious but why can't players just say it out loud!). We aren't going to tell anyone in the media are we? > .

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:18 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

Good story.

The bolded really caught my eye. Seems like this is a common sentiment amongst those "horses," as IIRC, Jagr said something similarly.

Basically, I get the feeling that Renney is being too generous with his ice time and shifting of the 3rd and 4th lines, specifically the 4th? Correct me if I'm wrong, certainly, but maybe that's something that could help the team settle things down and get back on track?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:22 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBud View Post
Good story.

The bolded really caught my eye. Seems like this is a common sentiment amongst those "horses," as IIRC, Jagr said something similarly.

Basically, I get the feeling that Renney is being too generous with his ice time and shifting of the 3rd and 4th lines, specifically the 4th? Correct me if I'm wrong, certainly, but maybe that's something that could help the team settle things down and get back on track?
You can see that the first line is mad that they don't get out there enough.

However, they get out there enough. It's the 2nd and 3rd lines that don't get out there enough, I noticed our third line last game in 3 shifts. 3. 3 shifts. Of course they had more, but they must of been casper then because they were nowhere to be found.

3rd line really needs to get played more.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:27 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
You can see that the first line is mad that they don't get out there enough.

However, they get out there enough. It's the 2nd and 3rd lines that don't get out there enough, I noticed our third line last game in 3 shifts. 3. 3 shifts. Of course they had more, but they must of been casper then because they were nowhere to be found.

3rd line really needs to get played more.
What is the third line right now, if you don't mind answering?

Old
01-12-2008, 12:32 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
What is the third line right now, if you don't mind answering?
Switches up a lot, but at this very moment, or at least last game..

Dawes Dubinsky Prucha

Dubinsky is always on the third line, Prucha is usually on the third line, and either Dawes or Hossa play the third line when our other forwards aren't injured. Or when Callahan is up, he plays on the third line..

A lot right there, ok, easier like this:

Regular Rangers Third Liners:
Dubinsky
Prucha
Callahan
Dubinsky
Hossa
Dawes

Old
01-12-2008, 12:33 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

And apparantely Dubinsky can play two positions on the third line at once, because I can't edit threads.

Old
01-12-2008, 12:35 AM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
I can see if I can find out some stuff in a few minutes but don't hold your breath.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Switches up a lot, but at this very moment, or at least last game..

Dawes Dubinsky Prucha

Dubinsky is always on the third line, Prucha is usually on the third line, and either Dawes or Hossa play the third line when our other forwards aren't injured. Or when Callahan is up, he plays on the third line..

A lot right there, ok, easier like this:

Regular Rangers Third Liners:
Dubinsky
Prucha
Callahan
Dubinsky
Hossa
Dawes
OK, and you say you want the third line to see more ice time. Particularly are there three of those guys listed that you'd like to allocate that ice time to?

More or less, I'm asking if you have an ideal third line that you personally want Renney to roll out of the guys listed.

Dubinsky/XXX/XXX

Old
01-12-2008, 12:45 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
OK, and you say you want the third line to see more ice time. Particularly are there three of those guys listed that you'd like to allocate that ice time to?

More or less, I'm asking if you have an ideal third line that you personally want Renney to roll out of the guys listed.

Dubinsky/XXX/XXX
Yeah. Once Callahan gets his conditioning back in Hartford,

Prucha - Dubinsky - Callahan

Until then.. Dawes can fill his spot.
Hossa needs to be shifted to the fourth line and be interchangeable with Hollweg and Orr (switch scratches depending on matchup).

Play Prucha Dubi Cally 12-15 minutes a night and give each a dab of PP time and we'll be seeing production. Play 'em 6 minutes a night and it really is no wonder that they can't score.

Old
01-12-2008, 12:47 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Yeah. Once Callahan gets his conditioning back in Hartford,

Prucha - Dubinsky - Callahan

Until then.. Dawes can fill his spot.
Hossa needs to be shifted to the fourth line and be interchangeable with Hollweg and Orr (switch scratches depending on matchup).

Play Prucha Dubi Cally 12-15 minutes a night and give each a dab of PP time and we'll be seeing production. Play 'em 6 minutes a night and it really is no wonder that they can't score.
Awesome. Thanks for the responses.

So am I getting this straight? Top lines want to be given top line minutes, and guys like Gomer and Jags want to be out on the ice with time winding down and the game on the line. Yet Renney continues to give ice time to the 4th liners and reward them for stellar play, while the fact remains that they're 4th liners and if you want to win, your big guns will have to do it for you.

Do you guys agree that the big guns should be out there? Or do you agree with Renney giving ice time to those who deserve it most?

Old
01-12-2008, 12:49 AM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
nope sorry no info.

sandman441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 12:52 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks for the responses.

So am I getting this straight? Top lines want to be given top line minutes, and guys like Gomer and Jags want to be out on the ice with time winding down and the game on the line. Yet Renney continues to give ice time to the 4th liners and reward them for stellar play, while the fact remains that they're 4th liners and if you want to win, your big guns will have to do it for you.

Do you guys agree that the big guns should be out there? Or do you agree with Renney giving ice time to those who deserve it most?
Renney should give ice time to those that deserve it, however, he doesn't know how to Coach.. basically that's the thing.

When it comes to this specific team, he doesn't do it correctly. Now it's a tough judge and I'm out of line here by context, but generally speaking most people will agree with me that you don't play the fourth line when your trying to tie a game or come back in a game in the last 15 minutes of the third period.

You double-shift, and you roll your top 9 (top 3 most). He doesn't do that. He barely ever double-shifts, and when he does it's at wrong times. He never plays the third line, and the fourth line shouldn't be seeing the ice in the third unless we're tied or holding a lead.

We've seen so many mindless mistakes like this game in and game out, and one really noticeable one that costs us a trip to the Conference Finals, was putting Jagr out there with 40 seconds left when we were up by 1 back in the PO's last year...

Obviously we know the outcome, anyway...

Jagr and Gomez get like 20 minutes a night, their ice time is fine, the fourth line is getting fine ice time, they should getting a dab less though, and at more appropriate times throughout the game. The third line just needs a big boost in ice time.

Old
01-12-2008, 02:12 AM
NHLhockey1234

Unfortunately Dubinsky has to be the victim of all of this fizzling of Callahan and Dawes and the like (And yes, I have finally become a dubinsky fan). I agree with your idea perfectly, these upper lines need to be double shifted more, we can't rely on Hollweg's goals.

Yes, the ice time is fine, but the first two lines need to be double shifted especially when we are behind. That gives a signal to the veteran guys to score (and at least have a little bit this season). Then you double shift the third line after the first two lines have demonstrated some semblance of offense. Then you stick in the 4th line more frequently as the defensive closer when you have a two goal lead. But NO! We have to do things in terms of quantum mechanics.

But now we go to another conundrum, which is the special teams. I think the strategy needs tinkering. We have had I think the crappiest power play in the NHL for the past 10-12 games, especially given the amount of penalties we have had. We especially need to unravel that mystery.

To how we do that, I don't exactly know. Here's what I've been seeing. Any time someone winds up and takes a slapshot from the perimeter it gets blocked, or some pass from outside the perimeter (not behind the net) gets deflected, the only thing that seems to get through is a player just aggresively making moves and cycling behind the net and just tossing it up front. The only shots from the perimeter that seem to be on net is Mara's little wrist shot. I think the Rangers need to stop using this super wide rigid perimeter of their's.

It's being read by every team in the league and they need to move their butts with the puck towards the net then shoot close range, then crash the net for a rebound. They are waiting for the perfect 1-2-3 play (pass it back and forth, and just basically stay put in one place), and when they don't have a chance of getting it, they shoot, which again is readable.

NHLhockey1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:57 PM
NY Ranger86

during warm ups at the Rangers Flyers game (which wasnt a pleasant one)....gomez was throwing pucks in the crowd near the boards....went to throw one...saw me...threw it right to me. he's the man, point leader, and threw me a puck... He's OK in my book lol

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:00 PM
NyRangers88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to NyRangers88
Thats funny, I happened to be sitting in my seats higher up and saw Gomez doing that and I thought, wow thats a cool guy right there

NyRangers88 is offline   Reply With Quote