HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

It is Saturday night...

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2004, 09:29 PM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
It is Saturday night...

...and there is no hockey going on.

It is 7:30pm on the West Coast...prime time for hockey, and the scheduled game in San Jose started at noon.

I know it is obviously networks like ABC and ESPN who think hockey fans appreciate Saturday early afternoon hockey, and maybe some fans south of the border do, but it pisses me off.

Afternoon hockey was meant for Sundays and holidays, not Saturdays.

Does anybody else agree that there should be a game on right now?

Old
04-10-2004, 09:34 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Van,

I agree with you as well, it would be nice to see a playoff hockey game right now but I guess we can still watch sports analysists go in detail of the games on tsn, sportsnet and the score.......maybe renting a movie may be the way to go

Old
04-10-2004, 09:35 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

It is 7:30pm on the West Coast...prime time for hockey, and the scheduled game in San Jose started at noon.

I know it is obviously networks like ABC and ESPN who think hockey fans appreciate Saturday early afternoon hockey, and maybe some fans south of the border do, but it pisses me off.

Man, I freaking hate early afternoon hockey games...they blow monkey chunks...San Jose should have told ABC to stick it and go CBC style and played the game at night, that would have been much better than going to a late night movie/clubbing, what have you.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:38 PM
Castor Troy

It'd be nice but after watching most of the Philly/Jersey game today, I can't complain. Great game there, the fans were into it, lots of hitting, 5 goals, and some standup goaltending by Esche.

Tomorrow we've got the first ever playoff game in Nashville at 12:30 PST,
then a hungry Montreal Canadiens team trying to claw their way back into the series at home at 4:00 PST, and finally the first playoff game at the Saddledome since 1996! Looks like another day of neglecting the books

Old
04-10-2004, 09:47 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy
It'd be nice but after watching most of the Philly/Jersey game today, I can't complain. Great game there, the fans were into it, lots of hitting, 5 goals, and some standup goaltending by Esche.

Tomorrow we've got the first ever playoff game in Nashville at 12:30 PST,
then a hungry Montreal Canadiens team trying to claw their way back into the series at home at 4:00 PST, and finally the first playoff game at the Saddledome since 1996! Looks like another day of neglecting the books
Yeah, there will be plenty of hockey tommorrow which is great out here on the West Coast

Old
04-10-2004, 10:31 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van

Get real. There are lots of REAL problems with scheduling (like forcing back to back games, with a road trip between).

There were two late games last night.
ABC has been doing Saturday afternoon hockey for awhile now. They got the American team matchups early. HNIC got the only Canadian matchup of the day at its regular time.
Seems fair to me.
Now, if you ask me, it made more sense to exchange the SJ/STL matchup with the PHI/NJ matchup. But even so, I doubt HNIC would have sent a crew out to the coast for an all-american first round matchup.

Old
04-10-2004, 10:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
This is what should have happened:

12:00 NY Isles @ Tampa Bay
3:00 New Jersey @ Philadelphia
7:00 Nashville @ Detroit
7:00 Ottawa @ Toronto (wouldn't have been shown in America anyways)
10:00 St. Louis @ San Jose

Old
04-11-2004, 12:09 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Anyone know why the San Jose game(which was in Cali, so it's west coast) was on at noon instead of prime time? Was there a basketball game or something that ABC wanted to show and the NHL took it up the arse as usual?

Old
04-11-2004, 01:42 AM
The Big P

I'm sure they wanted to play it before the master started.

Old
04-11-2004, 02:12 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Get real. There are lots of REAL problems with scheduling (like forcing back to back games, with a road trip between).

There were two late games last night.
ABC has been doing Saturday afternoon hockey for awhile now. They got the American team matchups early. HNIC got the only Canadian matchup of the day at its regular time.
Seems fair to me.
Now, if you ask me, it made more sense to exchange the SJ/STL matchup with the PHI/NJ matchup. But even so, I doubt HNIC would have sent a crew out to the coast for an all-american first round matchup.

I'm not talking about Hockey Night In Canada. I was surprised enough that they did today's NYI-TB game.

My point is that Saturday afternoons are not meant for hockey. Saturday afternoon is when you do the shopping, take the kids to the park, and get the pizza and beer for the game starting at 7:00-7:30.

Afternoon games are for Sundays when you have dinner with the family afterwards and get to bed early to start the work week the next day.

During the NHL playoffs, there should be a game on to watch on a Saturday night.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:30 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I'm not talking about Hockey Night In Canada....
During the NHL playoffs, there should be a game on to watch on a Saturday night.
Well if you're talking about Saturday Night Hockey, you're talking about HNIC. HNIC is the reason we co-relate Saturday Night and Hockey. See, unless you live in a border city, Americans don't generally recognize Saturday Night as a hockey night. For several years now, ABC and Fox have tried to make Saturday afternoon the hockey slot (with no success, I must add).
We've got a good day of hockey today. 4PM (1PM you're time) Wings-preds, plus Montreal-Boston and Vanc-Calgary and Dallas-Colorado

Old
04-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Coach Bruce
Blue Devils Peewee A

Send a message via AIM to Coach Bruce Send a message via MSN to Coach Bruce Send a message via Yahoo to Coach Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Anyone know why the San Jose game(which was in Cali, so it's west coast) was on at noon instead of prime time? Was there a basketball game or something that ABC wanted to show and the NHL took it up the arse as usual?
The HP Pavilion had a San Jose Stealth game, lacrosse, after the Sharks/Blues played.

Closed Thread