HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

It is Saturday night...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2004, 09:29 PM
  #1
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
It is Saturday night...

...and there is no hockey going on.

It is 7:30pm on the West Coast...prime time for hockey, and the scheduled game in San Jose started at noon.

I know it is obviously networks like ABC and ESPN who think hockey fans appreciate Saturday early afternoon hockey, and maybe some fans south of the border do, but it pisses me off.

Afternoon hockey was meant for Sundays and holidays, not Saturdays.

Does anybody else agree that there should be a game on right now?

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 09:34 PM
  #2
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Van,

I agree with you as well, it would be nice to see a playoff hockey game right now but I guess we can still watch sports analysists go in detail of the games on tsn, sportsnet and the score.......maybe renting a movie may be the way to go

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 09:35 PM
  #3
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,273
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
...and there is no hockey going on.

It is 7:30pm on the West Coast...prime time for hockey, and the scheduled game in San Jose started at noon.

I know it is obviously networks like ABC and ESPN who think hockey fans appreciate Saturday early afternoon hockey, and maybe some fans south of the border do, but it pisses me off.

Afternoon hockey was meant for Sundays and holidays, not Saturdays.

Does anybody else agree that there should be a game on right now?
Man, I freaking hate early afternoon hockey games...they blow monkey chunks...San Jose should have told ABC to stick it and go CBC style and played the game at night, that would have been much better than going to a late night movie/clubbing, what have you.

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 09:38 PM
  #4
Castor Troy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
It'd be nice but after watching most of the Philly/Jersey game today, I can't complain. Great game there, the fans were into it, lots of hitting, 5 goals, and some standup goaltending by Esche.

Tomorrow we've got the first ever playoff game in Nashville at 12:30 PST,
then a hungry Montreal Canadiens team trying to claw their way back into the series at home at 4:00 PST, and finally the first playoff game at the Saddledome since 1996! Looks like another day of neglecting the books

Castor Troy is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 09:47 PM
  #5
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Troy
It'd be nice but after watching most of the Philly/Jersey game today, I can't complain. Great game there, the fans were into it, lots of hitting, 5 goals, and some standup goaltending by Esche.

Tomorrow we've got the first ever playoff game in Nashville at 12:30 PST,
then a hungry Montreal Canadiens team trying to claw their way back into the series at home at 4:00 PST, and finally the first playoff game at the Saddledome since 1996! Looks like another day of neglecting the books
Yeah, there will be plenty of hockey tommorrow which is great out here on the West Coast

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 10:31 PM
  #6
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
...and there is no hockey going on.

It is 7:30pm on the West Coast...prime time for hockey, and the scheduled game in San Jose started at noon.

I know it is obviously networks like ABC and ESPN who think hockey fans appreciate Saturday early afternoon hockey, and maybe some fans south of the border do, but it pisses me off.

Afternoon hockey was meant for Sundays and holidays, not Saturdays.

Does anybody else agree that there should be a game on right now?
Get real. There are lots of REAL problems with scheduling (like forcing back to back games, with a road trip between).

There were two late games last night.
ABC has been doing Saturday afternoon hockey for awhile now. They got the American team matchups early. HNIC got the only Canadian matchup of the day at its regular time.
Seems fair to me.
Now, if you ask me, it made more sense to exchange the SJ/STL matchup with the PHI/NJ matchup. But even so, I doubt HNIC would have sent a crew out to the coast for an all-american first round matchup.

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
04-10-2004, 10:43 PM
  #7
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,882
vCash: 5792
This is what should have happened:

12:00 NY Isles @ Tampa Bay
3:00 New Jersey @ Philadelphia
7:00 Nashville @ Detroit
7:00 Ottawa @ Toronto (wouldn't have been shown in America anyways)
10:00 St. Louis @ San Jose

GKJ is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 12:09 AM
  #8
ehc73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Anyone know why the San Jose game(which was in Cali, so it's west coast) was on at noon instead of prime time? Was there a basketball game or something that ABC wanted to show and the NHL took it up the arse as usual?

ehc73 is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 01:42 AM
  #9
The Big P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
I'm sure they wanted to play it before the master started.

The Big P is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 02:12 AM
  #10
BCCHL inactive
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country:
Posts: 10,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguyone
Get real. There are lots of REAL problems with scheduling (like forcing back to back games, with a road trip between).

There were two late games last night.
ABC has been doing Saturday afternoon hockey for awhile now. They got the American team matchups early. HNIC got the only Canadian matchup of the day at its regular time.
Seems fair to me.
Now, if you ask me, it made more sense to exchange the SJ/STL matchup with the PHI/NJ matchup. But even so, I doubt HNIC would have sent a crew out to the coast for an all-american first round matchup.

I'm not talking about Hockey Night In Canada. I was surprised enough that they did today's NYI-TB game.

My point is that Saturday afternoons are not meant for hockey. Saturday afternoon is when you do the shopping, take the kids to the park, and get the pizza and beer for the game starting at 7:00-7:30.

Afternoon games are for Sundays when you have dinner with the family afterwards and get to bed early to start the work week the next day.


During the NHL playoffs, there should be a game on to watch on a Saturday night.

BCCHL inactive is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 09:30 AM
  #11
A Good Flying Bird*
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I'm not talking about Hockey Night In Canada....
During the NHL playoffs, there should be a game on to watch on a Saturday night.
Well if you're talking about Saturday Night Hockey, you're talking about HNIC. HNIC is the reason we co-relate Saturday Night and Hockey. See, unless you live in a border city, Americans don't generally recognize Saturday Night as a hockey night. For several years now, ABC and Fox have tried to make Saturday afternoon the hockey slot (with no success, I must add).
We've got a good day of hockey today. 4PM (1PM you're time) Wings-preds, plus Montreal-Boston and Vanc-Calgary and Dallas-Colorado

A Good Flying Bird* is offline  
Old
04-11-2004, 07:31 PM
  #12
Coach Bruce
Blue Devils Peewee A
 
Coach Bruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: San Leandro, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 628
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Coach Bruce Send a message via MSN to Coach Bruce Send a message via Yahoo to Coach Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehc73
Anyone know why the San Jose game(which was in Cali, so it's west coast) was on at noon instead of prime time? Was there a basketball game or something that ABC wanted to show and the NHL took it up the arse as usual?
The HP Pavilion had a San Jose Stealth game, lacrosse, after the Sharks/Blues played.

Coach Bruce is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.