HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Espn Sucks!!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2004, 03:33 PM
Jeff Shafer
Established: 1987

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeff Shafer
The games that are on the Canada networks I watch ESPN color guys seem like there always yelling at you

Old
04-10-2004, 05:47 AM
Randall Graves*

Ratings are down for everything all over cable TV. the world series,the superbowl etc, I hate seeing the same teams every time, that was my gripe.

Old
04-10-2004, 07:14 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Get this for ABC coverage: There is a playoff game less than 400 miles from where I live. Instead I am forced to watch two teams that are 3 time zones and more than 2000 miles away play. :mad:

Old
04-10-2004, 09:21 AM
stanley

I think we should get over the moral implications and just let RallyKiller vent. I was pretty disappointed, too, that it was opening night (for some teams) and no hockey was to be found. ESPN was the network that signed a contract with the NHL to broadcast their games. I somehow think that they're not going to end up in the welfare line because of the money they MIGHT not get to make by broadcasting one silly (and I think that's a kind adjective) program. If money is the end-all, beat-all, why not just broadcast college basketball or slam dunk programs 365 days a year? What are you guys, Communist or something? ESPN is making money hand over fist, and they're being defended for THIS? It's not like they broke away to broadcast a hearing with Barry Bonds telling a commission what he knew and didn't know before BALCO became public.

Or, I guess I could say that Dennis Kozlowski "volunteered" his stockholders to help out with $40M for his wife's birthday, and you really can't fault him for expressing love for his wife. After all, he had the money at his disposal. Okay, the analogy is a bit off, but I'm surprised at how many people aren't even disappointed that the network with the U.S. NHL television contract didn't care to broadcast a game when the opportunity presented, particularly considering the home-grown crap they did broadcast.

Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm...
Wastin' away again in Margaritaville

Old
04-10-2004, 09:27 AM
stanley

The Flyers and Devils - no small rivalry or unpopular teams nationally - were also playing Thursday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Love
They didn't take the easy way out. They took the way that would get them more ratings. ESPN is a business, not a charity. I wish people would stop thinking that ESPN is somehow obliged to show small markets hockey games instead of programming that brings in more viewers. The average viewer just doesn't care. And we are not the average viewer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
I don't know that I'd be applauding anything Doc wrote. He has Comcast, he hates puppies, and for fun probably stands at the corner of 16th and Arch bumping old ladies into traffic. He's got issues.

Old
04-10-2004, 09:54 AM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
Ratings are down for everything all over cable TV. the world series,the superbowl etc, I hate seeing the same teams every time, that was my gripe.
Um....ratings are not down for the Super Bowl.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...vbriefs03.html

2004 Super Bowl: 44.2 rating
2003 World Series: 11.9 average rating
2003 NBA Finals: 6.5 average rating
2003 NHL Finals: 2.9 average rating

Old
04-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

The problem I have with ESPN is they claim to be fair to all 30 teams, and are totally bias to the Wings/Avs/Philly. Their coverage is slanted to present these teams as the greatest of all time. They don't even take the time to care about the lesser (in their minds) team.

Example 1 During the Preds vs Wings game one Gary Thorn was calling are the wings players by thier 1st names (as if he had a friendship with them) and mispronounced every predator player name that wasn't easy ie he was right on Hall, and Johnson yet didn't try to pronounce Hartnell or Hamhuis correctly and refered to some of the players by number. This happens with most of the teams when they play the Avs/ Wings/Philly. Watch today and see what I mean

Example 2 go back to the skills competion and listen to Darren Pang's NAMBLA type crush on Pavel Datsuk he basically said he was in love with Datsuk and that Datsuk would win every skills competition and was the greatest player ever and the cutest also. Same thing with Thorn and Forsberg.

Example 3 Barry Melrose picks nothing but Wings and Avs for his Mellies and in his Top 5 listing on NHL2night

If ESPN would either cover all of the teams fairly then people would respect them more. Heck I would respect them mor hey presented themselves as being the biased network they are.

Old
04-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Spooner

Send a message via AIM to Spooner
ESPN is, or at least claims to be, a sports news channel. That Yankees thing may have gotten them more ratings, but don't they have an obligation to the NHL and to sports (which they seem to kinda like) to air playoff hockey? I mean, you can air "Yankees on Trial" whenever you want, but you can only air a playoff game once.

OT- Yes what teh Yankees doing is unfair. I mean, given the cahnce I'd have my team do it, but the point is if every team used 100% of its money on players the Yankees would STILL win out. I mean, you're looking at a natural advantage here. I mean, you've got New York, a population of a few million including more than a few lawayers and highler level exacs. Then you've got Pittsburgh, a city of 300,000 some blue collar steel workers. Who here as the natural advantage, if by geographic position alone?

Great, now I feel bad about *****ing how ESPN doesn't air hockey, then spent the latter majority of my post talking about the Yankees.

Old
04-10-2004, 11:15 AM
MikeS

I am glad to live close enough to Canada to get CBC and Hockey Night in Canada! (Two hours south of Vancouver, in Everett, WA, home to the WHL's Silvertips! )

Whenever the same game is on both ESPN and CBC, I watch the CBC broadcast. Then between periods I get to hear some discussion of hockey instead of college basketball or baseball or some ridiculous poker tournament. Hockey coverage in the U.S. sucks, period. The negative press on the Bertuzzi incident was about all the hockey coverage most Americans heard all season.

Also, count me as an American who DOES care about Vancouver and San Jose and all the other teams aside from Colorado and Detroit.

Anyone know if Roger's Sportsnet is available in the U.S.?

Old
04-10-2004, 11:33 AM
ap215

ESPN is all about ESPN,thank goodness i have the center ice package it's the best thing in the world.

Old
04-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap215
ESPN is all about ESPN,thank goodness i have the center ice package it's the best thing in the world.
Couldn't agree with you more...thank you Center Ice thank you!

Old
04-10-2004, 12:13 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville
The problem I have with ESPN is they claim to be fair to all 30 teams, and are totally bias to the Wings/Avs/Philly. Their coverage is slanted to present these teams as the greatest of all time. They don't even take the time to care about the lesser (in their minds) team.

Example 1 During the Preds vs Wings game one Gary Thorn was calling are the wings players by thier 1st names (as if he had a friendship with them) and mispronounced every predator player name that wasn't easy ie he was right on Hall, and Johnson yet didn't try to pronounce Hartnell or Hamhuis correctly and refered to some of the players by number. This happens with most of the teams when they play the Avs/ Wings/Philly. Watch today and see what I mean

Example 2 go back to the skills competion and listen to Darren Pang's NAMBLA type crush on Pavel Datsuk he basically said he was in love with Datsuk and that Datsuk would win every skills competition and was the greatest player ever and the cutest also. Same thing with Thorn and Forsberg.

Example 3 Barry Melrose picks nothing but Wings and Avs for his Mellies and in his Top 5 listing on NHL2night

If ESPN would either cover all of the teams fairly then people would respect them more. Heck I would respect them mor hey presented themselves as being the biased network they are.
I think ESPN is a joke, hockey wise too. Dont get me wrong. But they are still doing what they think is best for themselves. Thats good business. Sucks for some....but they do what they have to do.

Old
04-10-2004, 11:17 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I don't know that I'd be applauding anything Doc wrote. He has Comcast, he hates puppies, and for fun probably stands at the corner of 16th and Arch bumping old ladies into traffic. He's got issues.
Hey now! I love puppies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnashville
The problem I have with ESPN is they claim to be fair to all 30 teams, and are totally bias to the Wings/Avs/Philly.
They do the same thing with the NBA and MLB, and I don't hear anyone complaining that the Milwaukee Brewers or Atlanta Hawks aren't on.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
They do the same thing with the NBA and MLB, and I don't hear anyone complaining that the Milwaukee Brewers or Atlanta Hawks aren't on.
I don't disagree with you about the Baseball or NBA coverage, but people complain about that too. Barry Melrose called the Preds fan Rednecks blasting out a personal insult like that is not being fair. Bill Clement is the only guy ESPN has that tries to be fair to all the teams. Too bad he's usually with Thorne who is a tool for the Red Wings or Avs. Pang is useless because he only wants to talk about the Wings and Datsuk, or some goalie that's playing well.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
beeker16

<--- the new avatar agrees.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker16
<--- the new avatar agrees.
It would be more accurate if you took the "ESPN" part out.

Closed Thread