HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

If the NHL had to eliminate 5 teams from the league....

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2004, 01:16 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Those statistics are misleading. First off, consider that Nashville was drawing under 10,000 to begin the season. The attendance has steadily increased as the season as progressed. They've sold out the last 5 or 6 weeekend games. Of course, the playoffs are sold as well. They've certainly shown the potential for good fan support and the last 10-15 games speak for that.

seriously. you can't really take a team from a city before seeing if they'll support a winner. now that nashville has made the playoffs...and should be better and better each season...i guarantee you'll see attendance increase. as dulzhok mentioned, since the team started really contending, around the halfway point, attendance has gone up, and almost every game in march was sold out

Old
04-10-2004, 09:17 AM
vbox81

Based on not supporting the winner, you'd have to kill the Devils! As a Rags fan, it kills me to watch them in the playoffs and not sell-out the arena! Also parking lot parties are so boring....

Old
04-10-2004, 11:52 AM
User571

Send a message via AIM to User571
Phoenix does not deserve a hockey team-drop that franchise.

Old
04-10-2004, 12:33 PM
Epoch

Pittsburgh
Carolina
Florida
Nashville
Anaheim

Old
04-10-2004, 12:56 PM
monkey_00*

I think the smart thing for the NHL to do is create a first and second division just like they do with European Soccer Leagues..........this way the small market clubs would still be allowed to play in the League but only in the second division....unless they decide to spend the Big bucks on the players and are able to compete with the Big Boys in the First division.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
04-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Mister Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
I think the smart thing for the NHL to do is create a first and second division just like they do with European Soccer Leagues..........this way the small market clubs would still be allowed to play in the League but only in the second division....unless they decide to spend the Big bucks on the players and are able to compete with the Big Boys in the First division.

Cheers!~

monkey_00
We already have one, it's called the AHL.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:00 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
How about we keep all 30 teams?

Old
04-11-2004, 12:07 AM
vbox81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Hockey
We already have one, it's called the AHL.
To defend the idea of the English Premier League (which oddly enough I was pondering):

In England the worst 3 teams in are demoted and the best 3 teams are promoted each year. In Hockey terms, Pitt, Washington and Florida would be moved to the AHL next year and the best 3 teams there would be an NHL team.

Like I said, I thought about this too, but there are too many problems. True, there are plenty of teams to make this relegation scheme work, and the arenas are equivalent (largely) between AHL and NHL teams, but this would entail the elimination of the draft, free-for-all signings (or some other scheme), and each team would need junior teams.

Interesting when you think about it, impossible in reality I would guess.

Old
04-11-2004, 12:25 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwOOsh
The five I would choose for elimination/relocation:

2. Pittsburgh: If they are unable to get the new rink their is no point in keeping a franchise who is only getting an average of 11,877 fans per game.

Pittsburgh ended up next to last last year, last this year, and still averaged more fans in the seats than the Caps, almost 12,000 this year despite some terrible hockey the first 3/4 of the year, despite the Caps Billionaire owner skewing the salary structure with stupid contracts to Jagr and Lang (Lang actually preforming for the 5 million so somewhat earning it but was seen as an asinine contract at the time) more making harder for the Pittsburgh's of the world to compete for talent and causing the problems that make next year likely to be lost. When we play the Caps half the seats are usually filled with Pen's fans who made the trip to washington for the game. I would think before swinging an axe at a team who 'deserves' to get cut from the league. No we have no deep pockets Owner to throw money around, but we do have some of the most loyal and supportive fans in good times and bad than almost any south of the Canadian border. Look on these boards, check out the Pen's board and some of the others, Caps, Chicago, CBJ, etc, etc and see how many are posting. That support alone should gain the Pens enough to keep them part of the league. Just because the pens smartly began early what all the others (read Caps, etc) did recently, shedding payroll to gain manueverability anticiparing a Cap and the ability to sign FA's . . . all in anticipation of a lockout, does not mean that we are in financial difficulty. Sure, we could use a billionaire owner, but we are doing fine, and can withstand a strike still standing. I am not sure about some of the other teams.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 04-11-2004 at 12:29 AM.
Old
04-11-2004, 04:18 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbox81
To defend the idea of the English Premier League (which oddly enough I was pondering):

In England the worst 3 teams in are demoted and the best 3 teams are promoted each year. In Hockey terms, Pitt, Washington and Florida would be moved to the AHL next year and the best 3 teams there would be an NHL team.

Like I said, I thought about this too, but there are too many problems. True, there are plenty of teams to make this relegation scheme work, and the arenas are equivalent (largely) between AHL and NHL teams, but this would entail the elimination of the draft, free-for-all signings (or some other scheme), and each team would need junior teams.

Interesting when you think about it, impossible in reality I would guess.
vbox81.........

No this is actually quite possible just don't include the AHL teams in the mix and just stick with the current crop of teams that we have today in the NHL........as it stands now we have 30-teams in the NHL...what I would propose is have the Top 14 teams this season play in the "first division" for next and the remaining 16-NHL clubs play in the "second division".........I wouldn't include the AHL teams in this scenario simply because they are affiliated with the NHL clubs.......Only use the idea of a first and second divisions for the NHL level of play and not the AHL........then you could have the Stanley Cup open to all teams even the ones in the second division but create another separate trophy for only the 14 teams playing in the first division.......maybe you can call this new trophy the "Super Cup."

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Old
04-11-2004, 05:10 PM
SwOOsh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Pittsburgh ended up next to last last year, last this year, and still averaged more fans in the seats than the Caps, almost 12,000 this year despite some terrible hockey the first 3/4 of the year.
I don't know what education system taught you to read and add but I will help you out:

Capitals Last Year: 15,787
Capitals This Year: 14,720

Penguins Last Year: 14,749
Penguins This Year: 11,877

Now please show be how the Penguins averaged more fans in the seats then the Capitals I'm interested

Old
04-11-2004, 05:54 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwOOsh
Now please show be how the Penguins averaged more fans in the seats then the Capitals I'm interested

Point made . . . now answer me if the Caps could endure two and one half full seasons of the worst hockey in the NHL and remain at those figures or even come close to averaging what the Pens have? My point is not the elimination of the Caps but that the Pens are far from the equivelent of the Expos of hockey. Why we remain on every list is beyond me. No debt, great support, well positioned for after a salry cap comes in, if it comes in. Only thing lacking is a billionaire owner and that would matter much less if hockey restructures. Without Leonis backing the Caps I am not sure where your attendence would drop, I know that it was quite lackluster if not downright bad before he started pumping money into player aquisitions. So the throwing of stones west to Pittsburgh should be thought out a bit harder first as I can think of many teams that 'deserve' to go before Pittsburgh comes to mind.

Old
04-11-2004, 08:20 PM
Spezza

Threads like this really **** me off. "Oh contract the teams, they don't deserve them!"

What you fail to remember is that these franchises have *paid* their expansion fees you simply cannot *contract* them, don't kid yourselves on that the League can proactively look to contract teams. The *teams* may well choose to fold in the future (depending into who's economics you believe), but until such a time those franchises stay.

(/rant)

Old
04-11-2004, 08:27 PM
SwOOsh*

Quote:
Point made . . . now answer me if the Caps could endure two and one half full seasons of the worst hockey in the NHL and remain at those figures or even come close to averaging what the Pens have? My point is not the elimination of the Caps but that the Pens are far from the equivelent of the Expos of hockey. Why we remain on every list is beyond me. No debt, great support, well positioned for after a salry cap comes in, if it comes in. Only thing lacking is a billionaire owner and that would matter much less if hockey restructures. Without Leonis backing the Caps I am not sure where your attendence would drop, I know that it was quite lackluster if not downright bad before he started pumping money into player aquisitions. So the throwing of stones west to Pittsburgh should be thought out a bit harder first as I can think of many teams that 'deserve' to go before Pittsburgh comes to mind.
If you kept on reading you would see that the Caps were just outside the top 5 teams I listed for contraction. I know the Caps aren't getting great support etc. but they are doing better then the Penguins. Do I believe the Penguins would be doing better if they get a new arena? Yes certainly, that is why I said it. If they don't get a new arena though they are in trouble, they can't put out a competitive team while only bringing in roughly 11,000 fans per night with their budget.

Old
04-11-2004, 09:12 PM
GodZillaAteMyZamboni

Quote:
Without Leonis backing the Caps I am not sure where your attendence would drop, I know that it was quite lackluster if not downright bad before he started pumping money into player aquisitions.
Not true at all. The Caps have been in the upper half of the league in attendance for most of the last 20 years.

Old
04-11-2004, 10:39 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodZillaAteMyZamboni
Not true at all. The Caps have been in the upper half of the league in attendance for most of the last 20 years.

Then why does it seem each time we play in washington more Pens fans are cheering than Washington . . . in any event, my point was not a my team is better than yours thing . . . more that I am tired of the Pens being hammered constantly because they let Jagr and Company go . . .they have their challenges, most of which will hopefully be addressed witht he new CBA, but that is mostly behind them . . .they need a new rink, but aside from that are pretty well positioned. Hopefully the contract the Pens talk will stop.

Closed Thread