HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinions on Jeff Hamilton?

Old
01-13-2008, 12:31 PM
beach
Things are looking

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to beach
Islanders fan here. You won't get anything for Hamilton. Been there done that. I was surprised you guys picked him up as he couldn't even make our team. Better to just dump him at the end of the season.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRoseByAnyOtherName View Post
Depends on how much crap you throw in there.
hahaha how many dumb GMs out there?

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

I hate to say it, because I had VERY high hopes for Hammy when we signed him, but he has been as silent as anyone on our team. Even worse at times. When he IS on the ice, he doesnt do much more than give the puck up. He seems to have a lot longer way to go to be a good hockey player than JR much have thought he did when he signed him.

Anton Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I'm still scratching my head wondering how he pulled off that start to the year that he did. Was that all a fluke because he looked real good. Is this the real Jeff Hamilton we're seeing now? I heard from hawks fans he was inconsistant but this is beyond that. He's been damn near invisible for a long time. You'd swear it was two different players from the start of the season to now.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:46 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Here is my opinion on Hamilton.

He is a true one dimensional player. Well, two dimensional. There are only two things he can do well. Shootouts and slapshots.
Unfortunately, former only happen so often and opposing teams quickly found counter-measures against latter.

If Hammy can't be used for those two reasons he is pretty much useless for this team.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
I'm still scratching my head wondering how he pulled off that start to the year that he did. Was that all a fluke because he looked real good. Is this the real Jeff Hamilton we're seeing now? I heard from hawks fans he was inconsistant but this is beyond that. He's been damn near invisible for a long time. You'd swear it was two different players from the start of the season to now.
Yeah you really would think it's 2 different players. gah it's sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmonk View Post
Here is my opinion on Hamilton.

He is a true one dimensional player. Well, two dimensional. There are only two things he can do well. Shootouts and slapshots.
Unfortunately, former only happen so often and opposing teams quickly found counter-measures against latter.

If Hammy can't be used for those two reasons he is pretty much useless for this team.
i agree with this statement. he was brought in for those 2 reasons only, and he hasnt been able to do either. I guess if we keep Cullen, we dont really need Hamilton. And since he HAS been invisible, why keep someone in the lineup that doesnt do anything?

Old
01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Actually, Hamilton has been able to do one of the 'reasons' he is being called out for here, if you will, and thats the shootout. In our only 2 shootouts of the season to date, Hamilton is 2 for 2. He's looked great in both shootouts. And we can all agree Hamilton was great at the beginning of the season, now however is a different story. But what part of this team isnt a different story compared to the beginning of what looked to be one hell of a promising season through October. On another note, Hamilton still ranks 6th on the team in PP points with 12 in comparison to Whitney who leads the team with 19 PP Points. And only trails Brindy & Stillman (17 PP each) by 2 points and Cullen and Staal (17 PP points each) by 5 PP points. IMO, had this team continued to roll through the season like they did the first month of October, Hamilton's points would probably be doubled as to what they are now. But, thats a big 'had of' - 'could have' - should have' - 'would have' so really its a moot point. In Hamilton's first 14 Games he had 12 Points and looked very promising, however since that time and 33 games later and a scratch for 3 of those games, he has collected 4 Points. Unfortunate to say the least. Whether this is all on Hamilton's shoulders or a bit of the coaching, aswell as how this team has been on a downwird spiral ever since the end of October, I don't know. It's a complete shame how this season has gone on. Same goes for last season. Complete shame. But hey, that's another story all together. I keep waiting and waiting and wishing and wishing after each and every game that this team will turn this thing around, and to put it bluntly it just is not happening and I don't know if I see this thing being turned around. It's just all so damn frustrating.

With each passing day and each passing game, it gets me frustrated even more. I'm on the brink of throwing in the towel here if we can't get this thing turned around. Hard to say that, and chances are this rant is coming on emotions of such a rollar coaster dissappointment of a season, but this is 2 seasons in a row after winning Lord Stanley and it is getting tougher and harder to swallow with each passing loss, injury, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am quite aware that all we have to do in order to once again get our chance to raise Lord Stanley over this teams shoulders is simply be 1 of the 8 teams to make the playoffs in our conference, and yes, I am still very greatful as I am sure we all are that this team is somehow some way still in the playoff picture. For how long, who knows, that question is up in the air, or should I say up to this team. This season has been hard to take after such as dissappointment last season and we all figured that this team won as a group and then learned to lose as a group and would come back this season with a fire lit under each and every one of them. As they stated at seasons end last season how 'embarassed' and 'ashamed' they were from going to the top of winning it all to not even making the playoffs. But so far, this has been embarrassing, shameful, and just unfortunate from injuries to inconsistent play to being half way through the season and on the brink of once again missing the post season with the exact same core that won the Stanley Cup. It just all boggles my mind. Last season and continued on to this season. Yes, we're still in 3rd on the East and 1st in the Division, but for how long... we don't know. We started this season off in October going 7-3-3 with 49 Goals Forced & 35 Goals Against, In November we were 7-6 with 36 Goals Forced & 43 Goals Against, In December we were 6-9 with 41 Goals Forced & 54 Goals Against and so far in 6 games in January we are 2-3-1 with 14 Goals Forced & 18 Goals Against. If we hadn't have had the hot start we did, we'd be sitting close to the bottom of the Eastern Conference right now because ever since the start of November this team has played blow .500 at a record of 15-18-1. Our PP has been up and down all season, our PK had been absolutely dreadful. In this teams last 21 Games, we have won only 8. I just don't know if this team has what it takes to get out of this mediocre rut and pull this team back to where it was in October. As of right now, this team is on borrowed time.

If we keep sailing in the same direction, which looks to be about right, come April to June i'll be once again for the 2nd spring in a row be watching my Carolina Hurricanes 2005-2006 Stanley Cup Champions DVD with my replay of Game 7 VS Edmonton, Best of the playoffs feature, Exclusive dressing room speeches & Clips from each and every playoff season... And last but not least, repeatedly listening to the Bruce Springsteen sing "The Rising".

Yes, I went off topic, so be it. I had to get that out.

/End of rant. But can't say I feel much better.

Last edited by Guerzy: 01-13-2008 at 11:41 PM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:57 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

thanks for all of that. and I feel the same way. it is dissapointing. but we just have to sit back and take what happens. we as fans can't change how they play. wish we could, but we can't. just remember, some teams have gone decades without getting another cup. lets just hope we dont get lumped in with toronto and buffalo in that accord.

Old
01-14-2008, 05:16 AM
kingmoore

You guys realize we are still in 1st place in the SE right? From the posts around here you would think we were in last place in the conf. Sure there have been a lot of bad play lately, but ultimately the division is still ours to be had.

kingmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmoore View Post
You guys realize we are still in 1st place in the SE right? From the posts around here you would think we were in last place in the conf. Sure there have been a lot of bad play lately, but ultimately the division is still ours to be had.
So what if we're first in the division? We're getting embarassed by everyone and it's amazing nobody has passed us. Just shows how bad the division is this year. Even if we win the SE I don't see us lasting through the first round with the way we're playing so it seems pointless.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 07:58 AM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusiouxcanesguy View Post
thanks for all of that. and I feel the same way. it is dissapointing. but we just have to sit back and take what happens. we as fans can't change how they play. wish we could, but we can't. just remember, some teams have gone decades without getting another cup. lets just hope we dont get lumped in with toronto and buffalo in that accord.
Another one? Buffalo has never won one.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes View Post
So what if we're first in the division? We're getting embarassed by everyone and it's amazing nobody has passed us. Just shows how bad the division is this year. Even if we win the SE I don't see us lasting through the first round with the way we're playing so it seems pointless.
exactly. while I am glad we are in 1st, despite our mediocre play, I am not holding my breath, because we will NOT end the season in 1st in the SE if we continue to play this way.

Old
01-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesnecu View Post
Another one? Buffalo has never won one.
haha you know what I meant.....

or maybe I meant to say that so someone could point it out to any buffalo passers-by

Old
01-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I am well aware of that, like I stated. And also stated I along with everyone else is probably pretty happy about that.

The fact of the matter is here, since November 1st this team has went 15-18-1 and with each and every passing game, each and every passing day, we are seeing our lead in the SE Division get smaller and smaller. Thank the good lord above that each and every other team in the SE is not doing good. IMO, we have every right to be saying what we are saying. Of course we are pleased and feel pretty damn fortunate to still be where we are in the standings. However, there are teams below us with more points (Pittsburgh has 5 more points than us, Montreal has 4 more points than us) and teams in our horrible division who are 2 points behind us. Where we stand in the standings right now is 3rd with 48 points, do you know what Boston has being the 8th and final team? 48 Points. Tied with us. And to boot, we have played 3 more games than them so that gives them 3 games in hand. The minute we start getting less points than the 8th place team, we're out of the playoffs. And by the looks of it at any given time. Personally, I'm not to satisfied with that. With what has gone on with this team this season and no end looking to be in sight, we won't be where we are for that much longer. I don't think it takes a genius to figure that out. The only thing that is keeping us atop the Eastern Conference right now is the fact that we had such a great start and the fact that every other team in the SE is not having a good season.

I can only stay greatful for so long with this picture until I see what is on the horizen. And IMO, that is slipping out of the playoff picture all together if things to get right.

Call me overreacting if you will. So be it. I am just one passionate fan who is utterly sick and tired of seeing this team go down the toilet for 2 years in a row after winning Lord Stanley.

Last edited by Guerzy: 01-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old
01-14-2008, 11:43 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Not to mention if Atlanta wins tomorrow and we lose, Atlanta moves into first place in the division. Maybe that will be a wakeup call.

01-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Exactly. Before we had a small cushion of room in the points column. Now, if one team wins we're on the outside looking in. I think JR knows that based on his comments in the N&O today. Where as before we had a small space of breathing room where we hoped the team would kick the tires and get it going a bit. Now, like I already stated, this team is on borrowed time.

Old
01-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan91 View Post
Not to mention if Atlanta wins tomorrow and we lose, Atlanta moves into first place in the division. Maybe that will be a wakeup call.
actually we will be tied (points wise) but they have a game in hand.

Old
01-14-2008, 01:34 PM
caniacgirl12

Send a message via AIM to caniacgirl12 Send a message via MSN to caniacgirl12
Quote:
Yeah but we shouldn't be satisfied with a first place position that is solely based on the fact that we suck just a tad less than the rest of the teams. The guys came out blazing, when Atlanta continued their losing streak into the season to something like 15 games (4 playoff games, from when they got swept, to 9 regular season games) and now Atlanta is right on our ass.

Going "Oh, but we are still in first!" means absolutely nothing when this team is so bad, they could be knocked out of the playoffs in two games.

01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
canesnecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecusiouxcanesguy View Post
actually we will be tied (points wise) but they have a game in hand.
Which would put them in first place.

canesnecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

The tiebreaker is wins, and they would have one more.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:36 PM
Anton Skinner
DAT PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan91 View Post
The tiebreaker is wins, and they would have one more.
ah gotcha. thanks for pointin that out.