HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Marc Methot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-13-2008, 07:08 AM
  #26
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,642
vCash: 500
Keep Methot, but don't give up on OKT. He brings a lot of toughness to our D corps.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 07:56 AM
  #27
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
He and Russell seemed a natural pair. Russell was dancing around everybody and Methot was just going through them. Now if we can just get Russell to find the back of the net, but it'll come.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 09:19 AM
  #28
PubOFH
Registered User
 
PubOFH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Johnstown, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 9,354
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to PubOFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
He and Russell seemed a natural pair. Russell was dancing around everybody and Methot was just going through them. Now if we can just get Russell to find the back of the net, but it'll come.
Ill agree. They play very very good together. Nice combo of O and D. They could be a #1 pairing in a couple of years. Would LOVE to see them stay together for a full season, so they can feed off each other.

PubOFH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:12 AM
  #29
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Keep Methot, but don't give up on OKT. He brings a lot of toughness to our D corps.
I gotta believe Hitch and Howson will only keep him if:
1. He stops making mistakes and stays healthy.
2. He starts becoming 'something' of an offensive threat too.

Our team needs more than just another 3rd pair tough guy.
I will not be surprised if OKT is not back on the team next year.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:22 AM
  #30
Mingo
Registered User
 
Mingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
OKTs the man don't be silly.

a responsible, tough, young dman. You guys are acting like he's a washed up vet. His skill set is not offensive, so why would you expect that of him? anyways, with a team full of "pansies" OKT is definitly not one of them

That said, Methot is damn awesome too. In the future, it will have to be one or the other probably. Methot may be the right choice, but you can't make that decision after 2 games this year. I just don't like that Ole is being bashed unnecessarily. He's played well this year.

Mingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:49 AM
  #31
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan
 
JACKETfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Venice
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
OKTs the man don't be silly.

a responsible, tough, young dman. You guys are acting like he's a washed up vet. His skill set is not offensive, so why would you expect that of him? anyways, with a team full of "pansies" OKT is definitly not one of them

That said, Methot is damn awesome too. In the future, it will have to be one or the other probably. Methot may be the right choice, but you can't make that decision after 2 games this year. I just don't like that Ole is being bashed unnecessarily. He's played well this year.

He has?
How then do you account for Hitch scratching him numerous times?
I'm not on the Methot bandwagon yet, just pointing out that OKT and Duvie have left the wagondoor WIDE OPEN.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:33 PM
  #32
Inquiring Minds
Registered User
 
Inquiring Minds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Grandview, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
That's a very solid defense....Westcott's future is questionable, OKT will probably end up being the 7th. At one time I believe Hitchcock said once Methot was called up (and playing) he would stay...

With Methot and Brassard up, Zherdev retooled, Leclaire relatively healthy, Norrena solid as a backup, Novotny and Hejda pleasent surpises, and Peca dead set on staying in the lineup I think we have maxed out on the hopeful preseason positives. That's excellent.

Now is all we need is some scoring consistency and a winning streak or two....
Modin still isn't back, so we're not maxed out yet.

Inquiring Minds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 12:49 PM
  #33
Goaliemon89
CBJ's Future CFO
 
Goaliemon89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,924
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Goaliemon89 Send a message via AIM to Goaliemon89 Send a message via MSN to Goaliemon89 Send a message via Yahoo to Goaliemon89
Methot has played 2 NHL games this season and already looks better than OKT / Westcott.

Like I said in the GDT, I see him turning out to be an Adam Foote type player in the future.

You gotta put yourself in this kid's shoes and imagine how much his confidence must have been affected by being sent to Syracuse to start the season after playing 20 games here last year. He's just getting this confidence back.....

Goaliemon89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:14 PM
  #34
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Superurban Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 17,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
I gotta believe Hitch and Howson will only keep him if:
1. He stops making mistakes and stays healthy.
2. He starts becoming 'something' of an offensive threat too.

Our team needs more than just another 3rd pair tough guy.
I will not be surprised if OKT is not back on the team next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
OKTs the man don't be silly.

a responsible, tough, young dman. You guys are acting like he's a washed up vet. His skill set is not offensive, so why would you expect that of him? anyways, with a team full of "pansies" OKT is definitly not one of them

That said, Methot is damn awesome too. In the future, it will have to be one or the other probably. Methot may be the right choice, but you can't make that decision after 2 games this year. I just don't like that Ole is being bashed unnecessarily. He's played well this year.
OKT could be suffering a sophomore slump, could be having trouble adjusting to Hiutch's scheme, or could be battling a nagging injury of some kind. His play hasn't matched last year's for sure. I hate to give up on him, by the same token, I'm not sure he makes the team out of camp next year. So, if you want him around long-term, you don't mind him playing in the minors next year. But, if you need to add a piece to a deal to get it done, and he's that guy, I'm not sure that's a bad play.

EDIT: In a Methot thread, to stay on-topic, it's fair to say Marc makes the flexibility that allows the team to have options with OKT possible, IMO.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 05:28 PM
  #35
Casework
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaliemon89 View Post
Methot has played 2 NHL games this season and already looks better than OKT / Westcott.

Like I said in the GDT, I see him turning out to be an Adam Foote type player in the future.

You gotta put yourself in this kid's shoes and imagine how much his confidence must have been affected by being sent to Syracuse to start the season after playing 20 games here last year. He's just getting this confidence back.....
Actually I disagree. While I think he was ready for the show to start the season, being sent back to Syracuse allowed him to know exactly what it takes to compete in the NHL, and has allowed him to really improve his game. Hitchcock said the number one thing he improved from this year to last is his puck movement. He said he felt last year he was overwhelmed with the puck, and now that he's had time to work on it and is back, he's a pretty solid puckmover.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 05:39 PM
  #36
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,642
vCash: 500
It was said by Jackets officials that OKT was playing with the injured neck. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think I could do that. Sort of the same situation as Vybes in that playing with an injury often times = not 100%.

Let's see where OKT is at after he fully recovers from the injury. Might not be till next year, though, as it sounds like surgery is in his future.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:06 PM
  #37
puckeye
 
puckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dublin OH
Country: United States
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Methot also showed a wicked little wrister against the Blues from the blueline that brought me out of my seat. Very excited to watch him develop

puckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
  #38
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 4,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckeye View Post
Methot also showed a wicked little wrister against the Blues from the blueline that brought me out of my seat. Very excited to watch him develop
your username is almost a mockery of mine.. A lawsuit is at hand. Macserv, i demand him to be my lawyer....or Falcor

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:40 PM
  #39
Feicht
Registered User
 
Feicht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Twin Cities
Country: Austria
Posts: 7,287
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
It was said by Jackets officials that OKT was playing with the injured neck. Now I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think I could do that. Sort of the same situation as Vybes in that playing with an injury often times = not 100%.

Let's see where OKT is at after he fully recovers from the injury. Might not be till next year, though, as it sounds like surgery is in his future.
Really? On the telecast the other day I thought he said he'd be ready to go in like a week....

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:59 AM
  #40
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Speaking of Methot, if he continues to impress I'd sure like to read about contract talks for him instead of Foote. Methot is unrestricted this summer and I'd have to assume we are not the only ones in the league who are aware of him.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 01:42 AM
  #41
falcor
Registered User
 
falcor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 4,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye BlueJacket View Post
your username is almost a mockery of mine.. A lawsuit is at hand. Macserv, i demand him to be my lawyer....or Falcor
heh.. i'd win, but i don't want the case

as for methot.. what can i say? i love him. i've wanted him up all this time, since the beginning, and i'm happy as hell that he's finally here.

as for okt.. i am SO not ready to give up on him. that would be a very foolish thing to do. after all.. how many years did rusty get to get his act together?

falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:39 AM
  #42
Dougmustgo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBstyle View Post
Do you think this guy is NHL ready. Is stats look pretty good.

How's his skating?
Methot is NHL ready and has been for some time, especially for the back end on this team. Unfortunately, he is a victim of Hitchcock's system of screwing with young players.


Last edited by Dougmustgo*: 01-14-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Dougmustgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:49 AM
  #43
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Really? On the telecast the other day I thought he said he'd be ready to go in like a week....
Whoa! Last I heard was there was a good chance surgery was needed. I'll have to check on that. I heard Modin real soon, but not OKT. Maybe I missed something.

*EDIT*

Portzlines blog:

Quote:
-- Talked to Ken Hitchcock this morning. He said Fredrik Modin (back spasms), Sergei Fedorov (hip pointer) and Ole-Kristian Tollefsen (herniated disc) are expected to take part in Monday's practice.
Herniated discs don't just un-herniate. Only thing I can think is he has responded to therapy, and can have surgery in the off-season if it is needed.


Last edited by Dr. Fire: 01-14-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 09:22 AM
  #44
OnYourIgnoreList
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by errey21 View Post
When Fristche took the last second shot that upset the Blues and created an end of the game scrum, Methot found Backes (he of Zherdev hit fame). Methot pins him up against the glass, then starts to pull his Jersey over his head, Backes crouches forward as the refs start to get involved, Methot gets in a good/decent right hand as Backes is leaning forward with his head about waist high, then Methot crushes/pushes his head into the glass/boards.
That made a big impression on me too, errey.

Relating back to the discussion that Portzline started about the team being soft, that, to me, is exactly what he was talking about: nobody gets a free ride, nobody escapes scrutiny for a hit, whether legal or not. That's playing tough and being tough to play against. Methot is already showing signs of being a solid on-ice presence and a potential leader. It wouldn't surprise me at all if, in a couple seasons, he's got a letter on his sweater.

OnYourIgnoreList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 12:35 PM
  #45
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Speaking of Methot, if he continues to impress I'd sure like to read about contract talks for him instead of Foote. Methot is unrestricted this summer and I'd have to assume we are not the only ones in the league who are aware of him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
heh.. i'd win, but i don't want the case

as for methot.. what can i say? i love him. i've wanted him up all this time, since the beginning, and i'm happy as hell that he's finally here.

as for okt.. i am SO not ready to give up on him. that would be a very foolish thing to do. after all.. how many years did rusty get to get his act together?

After reading in the Crunch thread how poorly our young d-men are playing in the 'Cuse, it may be better to keep all of our current NHL-level defensemen under contract. Doesn't sound like we have much to fall back on, right now.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
  #46
puckeye
 
puckeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dublin OH
Country: United States
Posts: 241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye BlueJacket View Post
your username is almost a mockery of mine.. A lawsuit is at hand. Macserv, i demand him to be my lawyer....or Falcor
don't see the mockery? somewhat new to this board, but have been using for years. Great minds, eh?

if the name doesn't fit, you have to acquit

puckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 03:39 PM
  #47
LaCosta Nostra
Registered User
 
LaCosta Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,026
vCash: 500
Biggest pluses of Methot's game are his physical presence (see the end over end hip check) and his ability to move the puck out of our zone (something we really struggle at).

LaCosta Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.