HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

I'm doing too good and I'm not having ANY fun.

Old
01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Evil Ted

vCash: 500
Is it a body contact league? by your stats I doubt it, if possible find one of those they are much more of a challenge.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 03:50 AM
Brandinho

Send a message via AIM to Brandinho Send a message via Skype™ to Brandinho
Tell you what, give me your league info, I'll come out there and mark you all game. Either you'll have fun or you'll be paralyzed. It's a coin flip, really.

Brandinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 10:09 AM
WVP

Oooh, I'm too good for my beer league, woe is me....

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 10:13 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnerican View Post
I should look into the ECHL... Sike.
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. Are you good enough or too good for the ECHL?

Old
01-12-2008, 10:34 AM
RocheBag

Send a message via AIM to RocheBag Send a message via MSN to RocheBag
Switch to Defense.

RocheBag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:56 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
I'd love to do that but I'm not captain (some guy on defense is... he's hillarious that's why he's captain... stupid reason why we picked him), and he's the one who's responsable for submiting lines to the ref before game. I don't know if I can talk him into splitting this up.
It's really easy. If you tell him that you're not happy and that you're thinking of quitting the team he'll be more likely to listen. Tell him you'd like to switch to a different line and try to set up the other players. Your team gets an improved scoring line and you now have the challenge of making your linemates better.

I play at the D level and we've got one guy who's head and shoulders above the rest of us talent-wise. He occasionally brings his A game but mostly he's either setting guys up or covering the d by himself to allow his d partner to pinch in on offense.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not. Are you good enough or too good for the ECHL?
Not good enough... I think haha I'm out now so no use trying. I don't think I would if I could.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Ted View Post
Is it a body contact league? by your stats I doubt it, if possible find one of those they are much more of a challenge.
Yes. It's a very rough league actually.

Old
01-12-2008, 10:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The U of I was right at my level but after my back injury I don't know if I'd be able to take that kinda physical game. In this league I maybe get 2-3 hits a game but on U of I, I was taking between 5-7 a game. My back isn't too good.

I've tried. And failed. I may bring in my stat sheet and have the administrator watch a game. They may just tell me to try U of I again. Which, as I already said, may be out of the question.
Quote:
Yes. It's a very rough league actually.
So it is physical or it's not physical...

I'm guessing since you're out again, it's too physical for you....

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 10:34 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Try out for an ECHL team.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So it is physical or it's not physical...

I'm guessing since you're out again, it's too physical for you....
On a physical scale.

University of Illinois was a 8, this team is a 5. I can probably only take a 3 with my back hahahahahahahahahaha

But in all honesty I can take a 6 or 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.S. Bach View Post
Try out for an ECHL team.
Sounds good If I was 18 and ambitious I'd do it and make a fool out of myself (like I did a long time ago doing something I'm not proud of), but I'm 20 with a crappy back and I don't think I'm THAT talented. So I'll keep the stardom to my little bro

Old
01-13-2008, 10:03 PM
WVP

Quote:
Not good enough....
Well then there should be leagues in Chicago that are better than the one you're in.

Old
01-13-2008, 10:08 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
I'd love to do that but I'm not captain (some guy on defense is... he's hillarious that's why he's captain... stupid reason why we picked him), and he's the one who's responsable for submiting lines to the ref before game. I don't know if I can talk him into splitting this up.

why do you have to submit lines? most leagues have you submit a lineup, not actually lines.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:14 PM
GJB

Maybe work on strengthening your "crappy" back and go try college hockey again?

GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Jeff Goldblum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVPens View Post
Oooh, I'm too good for my beer league, woe is me....
Hahahaha.

Jeff Goldblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
why do you have to submit lines? most leagues have you submit a lineup, not actually lines.
It's all because I guess there were teams a few year back that had their stars playing all game and other teams didn't like that. I don't know why because the stars would get tired but they did that.

Old
01-14-2008, 06:18 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It's all because I guess there were teams a few year back that had their stars playing all game and other teams didn't like that. I don't know why because the stars would get tired but they did that.
How would that prevent anything, just put all you stars on one line and play them as much as you want.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:23 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How would that prevent anything, just put all you stars on one line and play them as much as you want.

just what i was thinking.

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:06 PM
SJGoalie32

-If your biggest problem with playing U of I is that you are too afraid you're gonna suck.....get over yourself and grow a pair. You can't come here complaining about how there's no challenge in the league your playing in, and then cower away from a league that would offer you the opportunity for the challenge you seek because you're too afraid you might fail. Failure is a part of life. Personally, I'd rather suck and fail in a league with a competitve level of 8 (one that forced me to work hard and improve my own game) than dominate a league with a competitive level of 5 with one hand tied behind my back. If fear of failure is really your biggest concern there, then you're already in the perfect league you belong in.

-Now if your primary fear is not over failure but concern over your back and your future health, that's a different story. I don't know what to say there except that you just might be out of luck. It sucks to admit at such a seemingly early age, but there are points in your life where people just can't go as hard as they once could. You may have no option but to choose between your physical health and your desire to compete. There are thousands of people in beer leagues all across the country who badly want to play at a higher level, but their body tells them "No." It's unfortunate that the choice has to be made, but that is also life. That's why non-checking beer leagues exist in the first place. It's not because people WANT to play a sissified version of the game, it's because most people HAVE to. Hockey is a great game, but for those of us who don't earn our livings on the rink, you have to choose between your livliehood and your hobby.

-If your current league doesn't have a higher level, I'm sure that Chicago has more than one hockey rink in your vicinity. Shop around the area and find one that does offer a higher talent level with an equivalent physicality level.

-For this season, work on playing on a different line and help them develop. If your captain objects, state your concerns and tell him how spreading out the talent (it sounds like the other 5 guys on your top lines can more than handle the load), will further help your team. Maybe offer a concession to play on the top line for the playoffs or if the game is close in the third.

-Same as above, but switch to defense for the remainder of the season. Work on your defensive game and develop your talent as an all-around player.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:05 AM
Synergy27

Wait a minute... this is a roller hockey league? Man-up and get on the ice.

P.S.

This thread in combination with your "post your player profile" thread is nothing more than a sorry attempt by you to get some recognition for your skill. If you were really the dominant player you purport to be, I don't think you would be making posts like this. I mean, really, what kind of responses were you expecting?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Wooty

If you are the best player on the best team then ask to go to the weakest team.

It solves several problems at once.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post

P.S.

This thread in combination with your "post your player profile" thread is nothing more than a sorry attempt by you to get some recognition for your skill. If you were really the dominant player you purport to be, I don't think you would be making posts like this. I mean, really, what kind of responses were you expecting?
Lol no that ended. This is ice. early on I was playing 2 leagues but since that roller league ended I'm stuck with one.

I went to my doctor today and they think may have retorn my muscle in my back. That may be the end. I don't know if I want to play anymore.

Old
01-16-2008, 10:17 AM
shorre

Quote:
Lol no that ended. This is ice. early on I was playing 2 leagues but since that roller league ended I'm stuck with one.

I went to my doctor today and they think may have retorn my muscle in my back. That may be the end. I don't know if I want to play anymore.
maybe u should play in a mens league, that maybe better competition.

shorre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27 View Post

P.S.

exactly.

im sorry but this thread is nothing more than a cry for attention. if you pick your teammates, and submit lines i dont see your league being all that competitive. sorry guy. and you record all the stats of your linemates? seriously? what league is this again?

how about instead of tallying up your plus minus- you get some PT on your back and step up the competition. any decent rec league should be split into divisions, with the highest being ex-college guys/ minor leaguers which im sure would be good enough for even the likes of you.

Last edited by slade: 01-16-2008 at 10:51 AM.
slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 06:03 PM
bashbros8

ur a *****

bashbros8 is offline   Reply With Quote