HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you guys like Gomez?

Old
01-14-2008, 04:12 PM
JimEIV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Who gives a flying **** about 10M when his cap hit is 7.3M? Really? Who cares? That number means nothing except to critics and rival fans.
I guess, but the Orginal Poster asked...."Is Gomez simply a beneficiary of playing with Jagr or is he earning his dough? "

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:13 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I guess, but the Orginal Poster asked...."Is Gomez simply a beneficiary of playing with Jagr or is he earning his dough? "
He's earning his dough. Happy?

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:14 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
He's earning his dough. Happy?
And my point is that would be impossible at 80 or so points for 10 million this season

Old
01-14-2008, 04:16 PM
Fletch

Money does matter....

and is especially significant these days. Further, the original post in this thread was basically asking if he has been worth the price that was paid for him. And yeah, we fans don't have control over the salaries, but we can provide commentary. It's a valid point to ask if he's earning his keep.

And Jim brings up a good point. Do you pay a guy $7MM or do you try to get a couple guys for $3.5MM, or do you have a $5MM guy and a $2MM guy, etc. It's something to pay attention to and is worthy of debate, which is why these boards exist.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

hes not worth the money, but hes played great. definitely like a 5...maybe a 6 million dollar player.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
His dough that matters is the CAP HIT. The 10M number matters for absolutely nothing except for nitpicking Devils fans.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:20 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
And my point is that would be impossible at 80 or so points for 10 million this season
Wouldn't be impossible by bringing his leadership, grit, faceoff% and everything outside of points to the table. He's earned his money as of yet. He's lived up to potential in a Ranger uniform, similar or better to as he played as a Devil.

Once again, we have no control over his contract, we can however decide whether or not he's playing like he should and he's playing above that, therefore, Gomez, is worth his money, because everyone is worth what anyone is willing to pay. If it wasn't the Rangers for 7,3mill a year, it would be someone else.

Bag elsewhere...

Old
01-14-2008, 04:20 PM
Jim Ramsay

Quote:
Actually YES Parise does.....And For 10 Million I'd carry his bags to the airport and put in to 40 point players for 1.2 Million total and be better off
Is the money coming directly out of your wallet?

I'm getting so tired of the money topic in sports. In reality, every athlete in pro sports is overpaid, but thats another topic. You could make arguments that there are overpaid players on every team in the league. If Gomez wasn't getting the money here he would get something extremely similar from another team.

I never was a Gomez fan and didn't approve of the signing this off season, but this guy has really suprised me this season, he seems prepared to play every game and hasn't taken any shifts off....That alone makes him worth a lot

Jim Ramsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:21 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Actually YES Parise does.....And For 10 Million I'd carry his bags to the airport and put in to 40 point players for 1.2 Million total and be better off
You say YES, but your post says NO. Or maybe it says you aren't qualified to answer. You pick.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:22 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
and is especially significant these days. Further, the original post in this thread was basically asking if he has been worth the price that was paid for him. And yeah, we fans don't have control over the salaries, but we can provide commentary. It's a valid point to ask if he's earning his keep.

And Jim brings up a good point. Do you pay a guy $7MM or do you try to get a couple guys for $3.5MM, or do you have a $5MM guy and a $2MM guy, etc. It's something to pay attention to and is worthy of debate, which is why these boards exist.
No, as the original poster i can tell you exactly what i meant.

Is he a leech or a player who performs regardless of who his linemates are. Price was not in my post, nor my concern.

Old
01-14-2008, 04:24 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
No, as the original poster i can tell you exactly what i meant.

Is he a leech or a player who performs regardless of who his linemates are. Price was not in my post, nor my concern.
He's a player who performs regardless of who his linemates are.

Price aside, he's wonderful, one of the better players of the league, on the Rangers, and one of the better off season signings.

Old
01-14-2008, 04:31 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
You say YES, but your post says NO. Or maybe it says you aren't qualified to answer. You pick.
My post says Yes Parise does bring intangibles and No he or any other player is not worth 10 Million a season for 80 points.

Old
01-14-2008, 04:42 PM
John Torturella

Imagine an 05-06 JJ with todays Gomez? That would be flat out scary. I think one of Scotts best attributes is his ability to carry the puck up the ice. He seems to get the puck into the offensive zone each and every time.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:46 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
hes not worth the money, but hes played great. definitely like a 5...maybe a 6 million dollar player.
Best comment on it. He's been very good--our best forward overall.

And as an afterthought for some others here--Zach Parise is an excellent player and I'd love to see him in a Rangers jersey some day.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:51 PM
sickamore

Quote:
My post says Yes Parise does bring intangibles and No he or any other player is not worth 10 Million a season for 80 points.
How much does Elias contract upset you?

What if the player makes his linemates bigger point producers?

Does Parise do that?

Old
01-14-2008, 04:55 PM
h0ckeyman

Hes been our best player, and while it is over-payment...you wont ever see me complaining about it aslong as he keeps this up, hes been a major asset to this team and to be honest i dont even want to think about where the rangers would be if we didnt pull the trigger on his deal.

h0ckeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:58 PM
JimEIV

Quote:

Does Parise do that?
[Elias] More than you can imagine....They should've let him walk as well!!!

Parise does do that....Soon as Parise and Zajac were seperated Zajac's production fell dramatically...They put them back together and Zajac is scoring again.

Old
01-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Fletch

Not to nitpick, sickamore, but...

your post stated: "Is Gomez simply a beneficiary of playing with Jagr or is he earning his dough". I took that to mean is he worth the price he's being paid.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Scott Gomez was always one of my favorite players while he was a Devil.

But 10 Million Dollars this season is tough to justify. Being the Best forward doesn't mean he is worth the Money....Zach PArise is our best forward....I'd rather see him walk than pay him 10Million a season for 80 points

Average/Cap Hit (7,357,143)

2007-08 $10,000,000
2008-09 $8,000,000
2009-10 $8,000,000
2010-11 $8,000,000
2011-12 $7,500,000
2012-13 $5,500,000
Whenever you get into a situation where you talk about someone being "worth the moeny" it gets tricky. He's worth it because some team would pay it. He's the highest paid player on the team and he leads the team in scoring. Not sure what more you can ask of him.

01-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Whenever you get into a situation where you talk about someone being "worth the moeny" it gets tricky. He's worth it because some team would pay it. He's the highest paid player on the team and he leads the team in scoring. Not sure what more you can ask of him.
Sorry but that's just not true. 20 goals and 70 points doesn't equate to $7.3M/season for the next 7 seasons. I guess, using your logic, no player in the NHL is overpaid.

Gomez>Parise, good one.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

Does Parise do that?
Yes, easily. Parise creates for himself and others and carried the Devils offense for the first half.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:35 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Yes, easily. Parise creates and carried the Devils offense for the first half.
That's kind of what Gomez did for us as well. He's created almost everything on every line he's been with and has been our only guy who can score on a regular basis.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:38 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
your post stated: "Is Gomez simply a beneficiary of playing with Jagr or is he earning his dough". I took that to mean is he worth the price he's being paid.
I understand how it could be taken that way, but it was meant as a figure of speech. It was meant the way I re-stated it.

I don't mind needing to clarify.

Old
01-14-2008, 05:38 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Sorry but that's just not true. 20 goals and 70 points doesn't equate to $7.3M/season for the next 7 seasons. I guess, using your logic, no player in the NHL is overpaid.

Gomez>Parise, good one.
Parise, 206 games - 134 points = 0.65 PPG, Career +3

Gomez, 593 games - 491 points = 0.82 PPG, Career +62

No, obviously one has played more seasons than the other.

Parise is a better goal scorer while Gomez is a better playmaker.

Gomez is a better play than Parise. Just because he's your stud doesn't mean you have to act like a moron and disregard Gomez's wonderful play on the ice.

Jeez you Devil fans are some kind of crew, let me tell yeah, I've met maybe a handful that admit Gomez was a big part of their team there and a big part of the 2 Stanley Cup Championships, but ever since he's a Ranger..you guys are just so anti-Gomez that you make up stuff, you say "he was not a big part of our SC Championships" etc etc... where do you guys come off?

Old
01-14-2008, 05:41 PM
sickamore

Quote:
Yes, easily. Parise creates for himself and others and carried the Devils offense for the first half.
Then he is worth open market price.

Once the luxury of Brodeur is gone in NJ those players at those prices will be needed to remain at the same level of competition.

Just the way it is. Brodeur is exceptional and will not be easily replaced, if ever.