HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Gillies vs O'Reilly

Old
01-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Joe Pelletier

vCash: 500
Gillies vs O'Reilly

Over at GreatestHockeyLegends.com I've post footage of five fights between two of the best brawlers of all time - Clark Gillies and Terry O'Reilly.

If you like hockey fights, check out http://hockeystoughguys.blogspot.com...s-oreilly.html

I was actually hoping to find footage of Gillies vs. Larry Robinson. Did those two ever fight? Robinson didn't have a lot of dancing partners, mostly because no one wanted to mess with him. Aside from his famous demolishing of "Hammer" Schultz, what were some of Robinson's better known battles?

Joe Pelletier
GreatestHockeyLegends.com

Joe Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 06:38 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier View Post
Over at GreatestHockeyLegends.com I've post footage of five fights between two of the best brawlers of all time - Clark Gillies and Terry O'Reilly.

If you like hockey fights, check out http://hockeystoughguys.blogspot.com...s-oreilly.html

I was actually hoping to find footage of Gillies vs. Larry Robinson. Did those two ever fight? Robinson didn't have a lot of dancing partners, mostly because no one wanted to mess with him. Aside from his famous demolishing of "Hammer" Schultz, what were some of Robinson's better known battles?

Joe Pelletier
GreatestHockeyLegends.com
I really dislike when people say someone didn't fight a lot because others were afraid. I doubt very much that Robinson only had 30 fights because people did not want to mess with him. Some people are just slow to boil or simply don't like fighting themselves whether they're tough or not. I put Gillies in this category also (70 fights),a very tough fighter that didn't fight as often as others like O'Reilly (200 fights).

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Joe Pelletier

fair comment

Joe Pelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:07 PM
DayWalk3r
YouTube Guru

Even tho, I've only seen about 15-20 games with him I must say that O'Reilly was one of the most entertaining players I've seen. He was a highlight machine (kinda). He could do it all, fight, hit, score highlight reel goals etc. It was a pleasure to watch him play.

I uploaded this little tribute of him some months ago. (that shows some of it)

DayWalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 02:43 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayWalk3r View Post
Even tho, I've only seen about 15-20 games with him I must say that O'Reilly was one of the most entertaining players I've seen. He was a highlight machine (kinda). He could do it all, fight, hit, score highlight reel goals etc. It was a pleasure to watch him play.

Next to Orr my alltime favorite Bruin,just a ferocious hockey player.

Last edited by BNHL: 01-08-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old
01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
pitseleh

Quote:

Agreed completely. He's one of my favourites. He's one of the few guys I'd apply the 'giving it 110%' cliche to.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
canucksfan

vCash: 990
Quote:

Great video. You don't see hockey players like that anymore which is a shame because fans love them.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 06:47 PM
85highlander

Tazzzzz!

Thanks for the O'Reilly tribute video -- great memories. While O'Reilly wasn't an enforcer in the traditional sense, he never failed to square off against any and all comers.

I always thought his nickname "Taz" for the Tazmanian Devil cartoon character was so appropriate for him -- especially when he started throwing his left hand -- it looked like a hurricane of punches and he would just unwind until exhaustion, whether he connected with the other guy or not.

And as a lot of stats are always getting thrown out on these boards as a measure of a player's value, O'Reilly's style of play, while not always showing up on the stat sheet, was worth more than statistics could ever convey. This was one dude who NEVER, EVER took a shift off.

85highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Dark Shadows

vCash: 72
Quote:

What the heck is the name of that song in that Video? Same theme for CSI NY. What is the name?

P.S O'Reilly for the win!

Dark Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
DayWalk3r
YouTube Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornton_19 View Post
What the heck is the name of that song in that Video? Same theme for CSI NY. What is the name?

P.S O'Reilly for the win!
"The Who - Baba O'Riley"

DayWalk3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 08:01 AM
brianscot

O'reilly might have been the most improved player in the league during the 1970's.

He went from being a 5 goal scorer to a second team all star in 1978.

Peter Mcnab must have been the most secure center in the league knowing that he had Terry O'reilly and Al Secord on his wings for a couple of seasons.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2008, 09:33 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
O'reilly might have been the most improved player in the league during the 1970's.

He went from being a 5 goal scorer to a second team all star in 1978.

Peter Mcnab must have been the most secure center in the league knowing that he had Terry O'reilly and Al Secord on his wings for a couple of seasons.
In a game against Montreal the B's sent out McNab in between O'Reilly and Jonathan late in a game and Peter said his teeth were chattering...............

Old
01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
DaaaaB's

Taz retired a year or two after I was born but he is still one of my alltime favorites just from watching highlights and old games. A while back I bought a DVD called The Big, Bad, Bruins that shows a lot of their fights/brawls from '68-'80 and man those were some crazy times. It seemed like everytime a fight broke out it turned into a line brawl.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote