HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Old
01-12-2008, 02:48 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Question : If a player plays in a PRO league which isn't the NHL in... let's say, DECADE 1 as an underager... and gets 20 a few years into DECADE 2... Is he considered a player of...
- Decade 1
or
- Decade 2

I don't think a player should be considered pro if he's NOT 20... And especially if he can't even grow a sizeable mustache when playing his 1st year in the Pro. I don't think that will have MUCH of a signification, but chances are, we might have to draft someone else from Decade 1 we wouldn't necessarily draft.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 05:25 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
What is the rationale for starting on a Monday instead of a weekend?
to give the main draft a whole week to wrap up from the date the draft time was announced

some people (like me) travel or ski or do whatever on the weekends in their free time: everyone is usually around a computer on a monday or tuesday, when the first round will get done

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 05:31 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I don't think a player should be considered pro if he's NOT 20
anybody who plays in a professional hockey league... age is immaterial... the first top pro league game is when the time requirement counts

and don't make too much of the time period requirements: all it means is that you need at least ONE from each of the time periods... that's only 6 of your 24 picks!!! don't even look at the requirements for your first dozen picks if you don't want to

Old
01-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Hockey Outsider

Hope this isn't too late, but I'd like to sign up as an "advisor" to the Phoenix Roadrunners. ADC will be in charge of the team and will probably make 90% of the decisions but this will allow me to participate to a small extent.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 300
The Boston Cubs are pleased to start the draft by uncovering a hidden gem of a player. He was a steal in ATD #6 but somehow was overlooked in #7. Now he’s coming back and ready to dominate.

This defenseman was intimidating in every sense of the word; he was big, strong, tough and physically punishing. According to Ultimate Hockey there was no better body-checker during the 1920’s. Despite his lust for physical play he was actually a very durable player. In every one of his seasons as an NHL player (10) he had over a 90% attendance record, which I believe isn’t too far off of the all-time record for defensemen.

This player spent a lot of time in the penalty box, but was still a very effective offensive player. He actually has one of the highest offensive peaks out of any defenseman remaining. Between 1917 and 1929, he finished top 6 in points by defensemen six times, only star defensemen King Clancy and Buck Boucher had more top 6 finishes during that time period. The man they called "old pig iron" has all the looks of a #1 defensemen so we are very glad to have him anchor our blue-line. Welcome to the team Mr. Bert Corbeau (D)

P.S. You can find a great story here about Corbeau's battles with King Clancy as told by Clancy himself.

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:35 PM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 300
cottonking and nalyd have both been pm'ed

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:10 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 141
He was lauded for having one of the quickest glove hands in hockey along with outstanding balance. In eight NHL seasons he recorded 28 shutouts and a goals against average of 2.82. He recorded three blank sheets in the post-season and was considered at his best in key games. He handled the puck well and was always quick to credit his defence after a strong game. He played every game for six years in Chicago and earned himself the nickname "Iron Mike."

But he did more than just show up. He was at his best in the big games, including the playoffs. He recorded two shutouts in eight games in the '38 playoffs, earning Chicago a shocking Cup win over Dick Irvin's heavily favored Leafs.

Defense wins championships, and everyone knows your best defender is your goaltender. With that in mind, the Edina Hornets are proud to select the best one available. From Aurora, Minnesota ...

Mike Karakas

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:22 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

I notice Evil Speaker's new avatar is his first round pick, Corbeau.

Old
01-14-2008, 06:29 AM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Wow im so unprepared for this,

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:34 AM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
Nalyd and I are planning on drafting Snoopy with our next pick.
If you do that, I'll get:

Last edited by VanIslander: 01-14-2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old
01-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Transplanted Caper

The Vancouver Giants are pleased to select C. Barry Pederson

Quote:
In 1981, Boston Bruins assistant GM Tom Johnson was understandably excited as he watched his young prospect Barry Pederson perform at the Memorial Cup tournament. As a Victoria Cougar, Pederson, a crafty centremen whose season was shortened by an injury, finished third in the WHL scoring race.

Pederson joined the Bruins for full-time work in 1981 and proceeded to light the scoreboard on fire. Teamed with Rick Middleton, he notched 366 points in 268 regular season and playoff games. He finished a close second to Dale Hawerchuk for the Calder Trophy during his rookie season and his 44 goals as a freshman still stands as a Bruin record.

But in 1984-85, Pederson's momentum crashed to a halt. A serious tumor was discovered growing in his right forearm. He missed 58 games while healing from surgery that saw a 4"x 6" piece of muscle transferred from his shoulder to his forearm. Some questioned whether he'd ever play hockey again. But Pederson's determination and aggressive therapy allowed for his return to the Bruins lineup where he tallied 76 points.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 09:40 AM
MXD

The Stingers select LW Gord "Doc" Roberts

From Legends of Hockey
Quote:
He joined the Montreal Wanderers in 1911 and enrolled in McGill University to study medicine. A strong and tireless player with a terrific shot, Roberts was one of the few early players who were able to curve his shots. He starred for the Wanderers for six seasons in the NHA and had two six-goal games and a five-goal game to his credit before leaving for the West Coast upon his graduation from McGill in 1916.

Roberts signed on with the Vancouver Millionaires of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association in 1916-17 and led the league in scoring with 43 goals in 23 games. His accomplishments that year earned him a berth on the PCHA's First All-Star Team. His hospital duties took him to Seattle the following season and he played for the Metropolitans on a line with xxxxx xxxxxx and xxxxx xxxxx.
From Losthockey
Quote:
Gordie joined the Wanderers in 1911 and entered McGill University to study medicine. He remained with the Redbands for six years, during which time they reached the playoffs once. He played on a line with all the notable Wanderer stars including xxxx xxxx, xxxx xxxx, Odie Cleghorne, xxxx xxxx, xxxxx xxxx and xxxx xxxx. He was at his best during 1914 and 1915 playing with Hyland and Cleghorn. He was a strong and tireless player, greatly admired by his teammates. He had a terrific shot and Clint Benedict, the Ottawa goaler, always claimed that Roberts could curve the puck with his powerful wrist action.
Terrific goal-scorer in many leagues, proto-PF and one of the REALLY few impact-LW still available. Roberts would leave hockey in 1920 to pursue a medicine career. Roberts was inducted in HHOF in 1971.

Last edited by MXD: 01-14-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old
01-14-2008, 02:13 PM
pitseleh

********, Gordie Roberts was my guy.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

the Phoenix Roadrunners select G Gerry Mcneil

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:21 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

was 6hole and sakicfan PM'd?

after picking PLEASE post to say you have done so

it really helps the draft flow along if everybody gets a pm that they are up

Old
01-14-2008, 06:34 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

pm's sent.

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Sakicfan

I'm here, but I would like to confirm our pick with 6hole. So, I PM him and if he doesn't answer before a few hours, I'll name the player.

Sakicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 07:44 PM
God Bless Canada

A quick word of advice to those who haven't been in co-GM situations: make sure that you have your picks decided well in advance. (Preferably a round before your pick). raleh and I have a five-man short-list ready for our picks. At this point, the odds of having your guy picked right before you are slim.

When Murphy and I were partners, we had our picks decided for the next round as soon as we announced our previous ones.

Don't worry about it, sakicfan, but I'd suggest announcing your pick once BM comes on-line, so that you aren't delaying the process.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Sakicfan

Since 6hole seems to be absent the last few day, I'll announce the pick.

The Moose Jaw Minutemen are proud to select Hall Of Famer LW Clint Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends Of Hockey
He was a mainstay with the Rangers the following year and became a key member of their 1940 Stanley Cup team. Smith won the Lady Byng Trophy for gentlemanly play in 1938-39 as a Ranger and again in 1943-44 as a member of the Chicago Black Hawks, and totaled a mere 24 penalty minutes in 483 regular season games. He played in the NHL for eleven years and was not signaled off for a penalty in four of those seasons.

Old
01-14-2008, 08:49 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
********, Gordie Roberts was my guy.
I had the feeling you would go for this guy - that's why I made a point with Jungosi to draft him ASAP, as I think Roberts is a very unique player - considering what is left for the ATD, I don't see anybody playing the same kind of game than him at this level throughout his whole career...And that's the same thing for Bert Corbeau : there aren't many players like him left, if there's any.

Considering your 9 first picks from the last MLD have gone in the last ATD if my memory is right (some were taken by you, some were chosen by others...) and I noticed over the last few drafts that you were very consistent with your picks...

In fact, I never even THOUGHT of drafting anybody else, I would even have picked him in the ATD if I didn't thought it was a better idea to have a C to act as the 13th forward -- or even on my 4th line, I was somewhat worried about having a guy like him play 5-6 minutes a game. In the end, I was just really happy to see you were picking after us!

Last edited by MXD: 01-14-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old
01-14-2008, 09:09 PM
BM67

The Renfrew Creamery Kings are pleased to add a leader that was a player/coach before he turned pro in 3 time all-star at RW

Russell "Barney" Stanley

Quote:
For the next three seasons he handled the dual responsibilities of playing and coaching with the Edmonton Dominions and Albertas in the ASHL before signing on with the Vancouver Millionaires of the Pacific Coast Hockey Association in February 1915.

One of Stanley's greatest thrills in hockey occurred during his first game with Vancouver when Cyclone Taylor assisted on his first professional goal in a game at Portland. Vancouver moved on to the PCHA championship that season and hosted the 1915 Stanley Cup series against Ottawa Senators, winners of the National Hockey Association championship. Stanley scored four goals in the third game of the series as Vancouver defeated their Eastern opponents handily by a combined score of 26-8. The victory brought Vancouver its first and only Stanley Cup.
No PM received, but PM sent.

Last edited by BM67: 01-14-2008 at 09:15 PM.
BM67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 09:10 PM
pitseleh

Am I getting that predictable?

I figure with the MLD there is a lot more room to take players that I like than players than necessarily players I feel are 'the best'. I try not to do it in the regular draft, but I probably just bias my evaluation towards the guys I want.

I agree though. There aren't many (if any) players at this point in the draft with a guy like Roberts' combination of size and skill. He's a good player to build a forward group around.

EDIT: Wow, I thought Barney Stanley was already gone for sure.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 09:46 PM
papershoes

The Nelson Leafs are pleased to select…

Tommy Smith (C)

A pure goal-scorer in each professional league, Smith lead the NHA in scoring twice (1913-1914, 1914-1915) and sits fourth in NHA scoring with 143 goals in 95 games played.

From 'Legends of Hockey'

Quote:
Tommy joined the Ottawa Vics of the Federal Amateur Hockey League in 1906 and led the league in scoring with 12 goals in eight games. He was asked to fill in for his brother Harry on the Silver Seven roster for three games that year and he scored a total of six goals including four in one game against Montreal. He made enough of an impression that he was asked to stay on and play in the first game of the Stanley Cup challenge series against Smiths Falls. For his efforts, Smith is recognized as a member of the 1906 Ottawa Cup winning team.

He turned pro with Pittsburgh of the IHL the following season and led the league in scoring with 33 goals in only 16 games. He moved from league to league and team to team during the next five seasons but his goal-scoring prowess always followed him. He counted 40 more goals in 13 games, including a nine-goal outburst in a game against Galt, as a member of the Brantford Redmen of the OPHL in 1909-10 and tallied 53 times in 18 games for the Moncton Victorias of the MPHL in 1911-12. He led Moncton to the league championship that season and gained the attention of the Quebec Bulldogs who successfully defended a Cup challenge from Moncton that spring.

Smith settled in for a five-year career in the National Hockey Association from 1912-13 to 1916-17, playing mainly with the Bulldogs, and posted back-to-back 39 goals seasons in his first two years in the league. He played on his second Cup winner as a member of the Quebec squad in 1913.

Tommy Smith was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1973.
A pm has been sent to the next gm.

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 10:00 PM
Sakicfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
EDIT: Wow, I thought Barney Stanley was already gone for sure.
Same here. Great pick and great player.

Old
01-14-2008, 10:34 PM
God Bless Canada

Barney Stanley topped my list for available offensive defenceman. Good pick, BM.

Sakicfan, if 6hole has a problem with the Clint Smith selection, then I'd suggest a parting of the ways. Did he do his damage in the war years? Sure. But he's still one of the best LW's available.

I'll be up for another couple hours, in case anyone needs to PM a list to me. (Dang, it feels good to say that again).

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote