HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

An Upset I Don't Hear Much About

Old
01-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
An Upset I Don't Hear Much About

On the NHL Network, I am watching one of the bigger upsets I know of, but I don't hear as much about it as compared to others.

Anyone remember in 1980 when Minnesota upset four-time defending Cup champ Montreal?

This is an upset I don't hear about as Isles-Pens 1993, Oilers-Kings 1982 or Sharks-Blues 2000.

IMO, this was a stunner that deserves more attention.

Also, how did Minnesota pull it off?

Were there any series-changing moments?

And how different were these Habs from the Cup-winners?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
sonnyisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
On the NHL Network, I am watching one of the bigger upsets I know of, but I don't hear as much about it as compared to others.

Anyone remember in 1980 when Minnesota upset four-time defending Cup champ Montreal?

This is an upset I don't hear about as Isles-Pens 1993, Oilers-Kings 1982 or Sharks-Blues 2000.

IMO, this was a stunner that deserves more attention.

Also, how did Minnesota pull it off?

Were there any series-changing moments?

And how different were these Habs from the Cup-winners?
The Canadiens had a nice regular season that year but I think age and loss of key players caught up to them against the North Stars. If I remember correctly Dryden Lemaire, and Cournoyer all retired after the 1979 finals. Add to that the fact that Bowman left and the Canadiens were missing some key parts to the dynasty teams.

sonnyisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 04:44 PM
brianscot

Montreal also had a boat load of injuries in the playoffs that year.

Lafleur played only 3 games in the playoffs after crashing his Cadillac in March, Pierre Mondou only 4, and Doug Risebrough none at all.

With Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe both banged up and getting older, Gaston Gingras, Rick Chartraw, and Gilles Lupien all suddenly had to take on more responsibility.

It also didn't help matters that 50 goal regular season scorer lucky Pierre Larouche exploded for only 1 playoff goal in 10 games.

brianscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post
Montreal also had a boat load of injuries in the playoffs that year.

Lafleur played only 3 games in the playoffs after crashing his Cadillac in March, Pierre Mondou only 4, and Doug Risebrough none at all.

With Serge Savard and Guy Lapointe both banged up and getting older, Gaston Gingras, Rick Chartraw, and Gilles Lupien all suddenly had to take on more responsibility.

It also didn't help matters that 50 goal regular season scorer lucky Pierre Larouche exploded for only 1 playoff goal in 10 games.
Well...
First of all, Pierre Larouche had 8 pts in 9 games. Not exactly a great production, but not terrible, either.

Second... Guy Lapointe was not only banged up, but he also played only 2 games in the whole playoffs.

In fact, the slight drop in Larouche production was timed with a huge production from 2/3 remains of the Kid line, who had 12 and 11 pts. Even the D's posted some rather good numbers in those playoffs, and the G's weren'T bad --- a 3,00 GAA isn't awful...

What happened? I don't know. I wasn't there back then, but the numbers tell me that the Habs fell in a slumber... and that Herron and Larocque (probably Herron, as Larocque lost only one game in those playofs, against 3 for Larocque) were outplayed by Maniago/Beaupré.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 09:07 PM
reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianscot View Post

Lafleur played only 3 games in the playoffs after crashing his Cadillac in March,
Lafleur's car crash was the following season. In 1980, he was knocked out by a knee-on-knee hit from Pat Boutette in the first round.

Games 1&2 of that series were the finest moments of Gilles Meloche's career. He was outstanding to give Minny a 2-0 lead. The Montreal wins the next 3 games rather easily and everybody thought it was over. It was a very gutsy performance from Minnesota to come back and win that series.

reckoning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well...
First of all, Pierre Larouche had 8 pts in 9 games. Not exactly a great production, but not terrible, either.

Second... Guy Lapointe was not only banged up, but he also played only 2 games in the whole playoffs.

In fact, the slight drop in Larouche production was timed with a huge production from 2/3 remains of the Kid line, who had 12 and 11 pts. Even the D's posted some rather good numbers in those playoffs, and the G's weren'T bad --- a 3,00 GAA isn't awful...

What happened? I don't know. I wasn't there back then, but the numbers tell me that the Habs fell in a slumber... and that Herron and Larocque (probably Herron, as Larocque lost only one game in those playofs, against 3 for Larocque) were outplayed by Maniago/Beaupré.
You said Larocque lost one game against three.

Does that mean he lost four games?

Old
01-14-2008, 09:24 PM
MXD

Quote:
You said Larocque lost one game against three.

Does that mean he lost four games?
Mistake... I really meant Herron lost 3 games.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:00 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Another upset you don't hear about is the under dog Los Angeles Kings upsetting the heavily favored Detroit Red Wings in the 2001 playoffs in six games. Detroit won the first two games, then LA would win the next four games..including pulling off a game 4 come from behind win in overtime. Six minutes left in the game and Detroit had a 3-0 lead then LA would come back and tie it, pulling off a "Miracle on Manchester". Then, Eric Belanger would score the winner tying the series.

Game five LA controlled the entire game and won it, then game six, Red Wing killer Adam Deadmarsh sealed the series with an overtime winner and sending Detroit home.

Los Angeles run would run out against Colorado the next series..but whats amazing is that they took them to SEVEN games.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:55 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
Another upset you don't hear about is the under dog Los Angeles Kings upsetting the heavily favored Detroit Red Wings in the 2001 playoffs in six games. Detroit won the first two games, then LA would win the next four games..including pulling off a game 4 come from behind win in overtime. Six minutes left in the game and Detroit had a 3-0 lead then LA would come back and tie it, pulling off a "Miracle on Manchester". Then, Eric Belanger would score the winner tying the series.

Game five LA controlled the entire game and won it, then game six, Red Wing killer Adam Deadmarsh sealed the series with an overtime winner and sending Detroit home.

Los Angeles run would run out against Colorado the next series..but whats amazing is that they took them to SEVEN games.

i didnt watch la play too much that year but it was amazing to see la fight that year. didnt they struggle to finish the reg season after a hot start that year?

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:34 PM
lasainteflanelle*

shhhh! let's keep this oen silent

lasainteflanelle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well...

Ouch. Wrong eras for those goalies. Meloche/Edwards were the goalies. Maniago came before and Beaupre after this tandem.

The Stars had a very good #1 line that year with Bobby Smith centering Al MacAdam and Steve Payne. This was a line that Montreal had a lot of trouble to contain. Tim Young centering Steve Christoff and Tom McCarthy provided some good secondary scoring while Craig Hartsburg (whose potential HOF career was cut short by injuries) played a big role. Another role player who will never get the recognition he deserved but played a big role was journeyman Fred Barrett who played the series of his life and looked like an all-star defensive defenseman throughout that series.

I believe it was the final game, when the Montreal goalie (I want to say Larocque but my memory is a little fuzzy) came way out to play the puck and from the corner hit his own goalpost and the puck went in the slot where only a Stars player was skating for one of the easiest goals you'll ever see from that spot.

Without Dryden, Cournoyer, Lemaire, Lapointe, Savard, Mondou, Risebrough and Lafleur for the entire series, the Habs were not the same team that had won the four previous Stanley Cup.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:41 PM
bruins309
Krejci Fight Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
The interesting thing about that series is that the Kings traded Rob Blake to the Avs at the deadline that very season! I don't know of another time where a team traded as big a name as a Rob Blake and then later played the team they traded with in the playoffs....

bruins309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I believe it was the final game, when the Montreal goalie (I want to say Larocque but my memory is a little fuzzy) came way out to play the puck and from the corner hit his own goalpost and the puck went in the slot where only a Stars player was skating for one of the easiest goals you'll ever see from that spot.
The goalie who screwed up in that last game was Herron.

Also, how come his costly blunder is well known as Steve Smith's? They both derailed a dynasty.

Old
01-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Mad Habber

Quote:
The goalie who screwed up in that last game was Herron.

Also, how come his costly blunder is well known as Steve Smith's? They both derailed a dynasty.
The two are just as bad as one another. The difference here is Mtl's dynasty was over, while Edm was in the middle of theirs.

Besides in Mtl, we didn't have a Don Cherry reminding everyone that it wasn't just one person's fault it was the whole team's, like he did every once in a while for Smith. Cherry was golfing at the time swearing Hardy Astrom's name.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote