HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Old
01-15-2008, 12:21 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500

Russell "Dubbie" Bowie

Quote:
Bowie played centre and rover for numerous amateur Montreal teams in the 1890s as a teenager, and for the Montreal Victorias of the CAHL and the ECAHA from the 1896 to the 1908 seasons. He was a five-time scoring champion and scored an unprecedented 234 goals in 80 recorded league games. Bowie played for the Vics' final Stanley Cup champion club in 1898. An accomplished stickhandler who credited his skill to employing an unusually short stick, he was cited in many all-star lists as one of the very best forwards of hockey's first half-century.

On February 20, 1901, Bowie of the Montreal Victorias scored seven goals in a game and was well positioned to dominate the CAHL, and two weeks later, he scored 6 goals against the Montreal Shamrocks. He finished the season with 24 goals, 14 more than his nearest rival. Over his career, Mr. Bowie would average almost three goals per game.

Bowie retired from major play in 1909 - along with Harvey Pulford, Harry Westwick and Alf Smith, one of the final players who had played in the 19th century - when the professional National Hockey Association formed and the Victorias faded from major hockey prominence.

He was one of the original inductees of the Hockey Hall of Fame when it was formed in 1945.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Bowie

He should be drafted in the main draft of the all-time draft. Why he hasn't been is a scandal.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:29 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

pm sent to seventieslord

Old
01-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Diving Pokecheck*

good pick, i had been scouting bowie.

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:53 AM
papershoes

great pick with bowie...
he was high on my list (but, obviously not high enough). his career average of nearly 3 goals per game is remarkable.

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:11 AM
Evil Speaker
Registered

Bowie was a great offensive player, no doubt. However, he only weighed a nauseating 122 pounds. Surley one of the smallest players in hockey history. So the Redmen are going to need to build a line that can protect and create room for Bowie for him too flourish. If he has to do the dirty work along the boards against brutes like Bert Corbeau, it's game over.

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:13 AM
Hawkman
RIP Jean Beliveau

Please allow an innocent bystander a one time only question before killing me. How do you check all of the 672 players in ATD #8 each time you make a pick without spending hours scanning long lists and burning out your eyes. Did someone make a spreadsheet?

Hawkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:13 AM
pitseleh

I'd imagine most players would be in tough along the boards against Corbeau. He was a monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny O View Post
Please allow an innocent bystander a one time only question before killing me. How do you check all of the 672 players in ATD #8 each time you make a pick without spending hours scanning long lists and burning out your eyes. Did someone make a spreadsheet?
When you're a part of the draft it's easier to keep track of who's been picked. After that, it's usually just Control-F to check if the player you want has been picked.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Diving Pokecheck*

Quote:
control f to search a page for text.

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:49 AM
seventieslord

The Dysart Fighting Kugels select goaltender Pete Peeters.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php3?pid=4213

1980 Stanley Cup Finalist
1981 Vezina Runner-up
1983 Vezina winner, GAA Leader, First all star team, 3rd in save%, Hart Runner-up
1998 GAA Leader, 2nd in save%.

A solid career with a variety of modest credentials displaying an ability to stop pucks of all shapes and sizes. As the league's top goalie in 1983, he was one of only three "legitimate' best goalies in any given season, available.

PM'ing the next guy.

Last edited by seventieslord: 01-15-2008 at 02:00 AM.
seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:06 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
The Dysart Fighting Kugels select goaltender Pete Peeters..
invalid pick

Peeters was drafted in the ATD#8 main draft as my Raiders backup.

Clock moves to the next g.m. Seventieslord simply to make up his pick asap.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:10 AM
pitseleh

The Americans are proud to select Hall of Fame goaltender, Paddy Moran.

According to a quote in Ultimate Hockey, "none ever played the game with so much zest". He was a fiery competitor, not unlike Billy Smith or Ron Hextall, who took exception to forwards that approached his net.

Moran had a reputation for being a clutch goalie, and led the Bulldogs to two consecutive Stanley Cups. He had the misfortune of playing on some very bad teams, or else he might be viewed closer to contemporaries Clint Benedict and Georges Vezina.

EDIT: PMed both chaosrevolver and Nate the Great.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:47 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Speaker View Post
Bowie was a great offensive player, no doubt. However, he only weighed a nauseating 122 pounds. Surley one of the smallest players in hockey history. So the Redmen are going to need to build a line that can protect and create room for Bowie for him too flourish. If he has to do the dirty work along the boards against brutes like Bert Corbeau, it's game over.
And yet he was tall. Well, he was 5'6, which wasn't short then (25 years later, Aurel Joliat was 5'6 and a mere 135 pounds!!). And he wasn't a shrinking violet. Bowie threw checks and got physical. In the 1903 championship finals between Ottawa and Montreal, game 5:

Quote:
some close checking by the forwards, and a little rough work. Bowie tried to get a crack at xxxxx after he had got rid of the puck, and as a result got mixed up with xxxxx's stick. Both went off, Bowie a little the worse for wear.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/h...SSID=06112ga80

So, while Bowie was on the small side (a 1903 player not a 1933 or 1973 or 2003 player size) he was a guy who threw checks, not a puff. And Bowie was a tough spirited player:

Quote:
He was a player known for his mental toughness and was a unique and skilled player who in his career drew many fans.
Being one of the all-time revolutionary players, he was always applauded for his stunning effort
http://www.bigsportsfanatics.com/art...ers_22094.html

Last edited by VanIslander: 01-15-2008 at 03:15 AM.
Old
01-15-2008, 03:46 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
He was lauded for having one of the quickest glove hands in hockey along with outstanding balance. In eight NHL seasons he recorded 28 shutouts and a goals against average of 2.82. He recorded three blank sheets in the post-season and was considered at his best in key games. He handled the puck well and was always quick to credit his defence after a strong game. He played every game for six years in Chicago and earned himself the nickname "Iron Mike."

But he did more than just show up. He was at his best in the big games, including the playoffs. He recorded two shutouts in eight games in the '38 playoffs, earning Chicago a shocking Cup win over Dick Irvin's heavily favored Leafs.

Defense wins championships, and everyone knows your best defender is your goaltender. With that in mind, the Edina Hornets are proud to select the best one available. From Aurora, Minnesota ...

Mike Karakas
Just thought I'd pop in to say that I am very happy with this pick. I believe he was the best goalie not taken in the main draft by a sizable margin.

01-15-2008, 10:16 AM
seventieslord

Apologies for the botched pick... Peeters was too good to be true, I guess. I Ctrl-F all my picks but it missed this one. i double and triple checked too. Looks like the last 15 or so picks aren't updated.

Anyway, it doesn't appear that Wilf Cude has been selected. Similar accomplishments, and didn't need WW2 to water down the talent for him to be a top goalie. I'm at work and can't do much in the way of links and stats. But he was good!

Old
01-15-2008, 11:37 AM
God Bless Canada

NatetheGreat and chaosrevolver's time has expired. Spit is on the clock.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:03 PM
seventieslord

Tip for every GM in the draft, especially new ones: I was a bit slow to start my first ATD, but after I changed it so that I get email notifications of HF PM's, I never missed another one... besides the time someone forgot to PM me... I recommend you all do that.

Old
01-15-2008, 01:49 PM
MXD

Spitfire11 Selection

According to the private message he sent me, Spitfire selects

RW Bill Goldsworthy

GBC and Raleh have been PMed. If they make their pick before 3:00 PM EST, I'll be able to call Spit's pick.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 02:21 PM
God Bless Canada

The Moose Jaw Millers are pleased to select a player that we consider to be the best in the draft. An ATD fixture who brings toughness, talent and aggressiveness to our line-up. He was good enough to be the RW on one of the best lines of all-time. Tragically, his career and his life were cut short by cancer, just as he was entering his prime. Now he's the RW for our No. 1 line: RW Murray Balfour.

And we're pleased to select the defenceman that we considered the best available. An excellent offensive defenceman who is more than capable of taking care of his own zone. Twelve goals was a lot for a defenceman in the late 20s and early 30s; this player did it twice. Helped the Bruins win the Cup in 1929: D George Owen.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:27 PM
MXD

SPIT'S 2nd pick

Spitfire11 selects another Summit Series player....

D Dan Awrey

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 03:04 PM
raleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
The Moose Jaw Millers are pleased to select a player that we consider to be the best in the draft. An ATD fixture who brings toughness, talent and aggressiveness to our line-up. He was good enough to be the RW on one of the best lines of all-time. Tragically, his career and his life were cut short by cancer, just as he was entering his prime. Now he's the RW for our No. 1 line: RW Murray Balfour.

And we're pleased to select the defenceman that we considered the best available. An excellent offensive defenceman who is more than capable of taking care of his own zone. Twelve goals was a lot for a defenceman in the late 20s and early 30s; this player did it twice. Helped the Bruins win the Cup in 1929: D George Owen.
Very happy about this. Owen was in the maroons lineup in ATD 7 in the main draft and we were very pleased to have him. He'll be one of the best pp quarterbacks in the league.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:18 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Belleville Bulls select...

With their 1st Pick in the ATD Minor League Draft the Belleville Bulls select....Centre....Pierre Mondou (1976-77 to 1985-86)

From Legends of Hockey:
Centre Pierre Mondou was a talented offensive player who checks and kills penalties. He produced at all levels of hockey and was a key role player then leader on the Montreal Canadiens.

Born in Sorel, Quebec, Mondou was chosen 15th overall by the Montreal Canadiens in 1975 after a fine career in the QMJHL. He spent two years in the AHL with the Nova Scotia Voyageurs then joined the Habs as a reserve when the won the Cup in 1977. Mondou scored 19 goals as a rookie in 1977-78 and contributed ten points when Montreal won the Stanley Cup. In 1978-79, he scored 31 goals centering Mario Tremblay and Yvon Lambert when Doug Risebrough was hurt and helped the club win its fourth straight Stanley Cup.

Following the dismantling of the Stanley Cup dynasty, Mondou was a key player for the Habs in the early '80s. In 1981-82, he scored 35 goals playing with Tremblay and Rejean Houle and was a veteran leader along with Larry Robinson and Mario Tremblay. He was forced to retire in 1985 after he suffered an eye injury caused by Ulf Samuelsson. This was a huge blow to the Canadiens since, at the time of his injury, Mondou was playing excellent hockey with Mats Naslund and Mario Tremblay. After retiring as a player, Mondou worked as an assistant coach with the Verdun juniors then moved into the Habs' front office for several years.

With their 2nd Pick in the ATD Minor League Draft the Belleville Bulls select....Centre/Right Wing...Pavol Demitra (1993-94 to Present Day).

From Legends of Hockey:
Pavol Demitra was selected 227th overall in the 1993 NHL Entry Draft by the Ottawa Senators.

Growing up as a teenager in Slovakia, Demitra played 28 games for his hometown Spartak Dubnica of the Czechoslovakian second division in 1991-92 at the age of 17. After another four games with Spartak in 1992-93, Pavol joined Dukla Trencin of the Czechoslovakian Extraliga for 46 games. He also won a bronze medal with team Czech Republic at the 1993 World Junior Championships.

In 1993-94, Demitra travelled to North America and split the season between the NHL and the AHL's Prince Edward Island Senators. In 41 AHL games, he scored 41 points. Demitra began showing signs of tremendous offensive talent in 1995-96 when he scored 81 points in just 48 AHL games. In 1996, he represented Slovakia at the World Cup of Hockey.

Demitra made his NHL debut that year on October 9, 1996 with one assist in a 7-5 loss against the St. Louis Blues. Just five nights later, he scored his first NHL goal against the Florida Panthers. After playing only 12 games in 1993-94, Demitra suited up for 16 contests in the shortened 1994-95 season.

On November 27, 1996, Demitra was traded to the St. Louis Blues and in 1997-98, he joined the NHL ranks full time and scored 52 points in 61 games. In 1998-99, Demitra led the Blues with 37 goals and 52 assists for 89 points. He also participated in his first mid-season NHL All-Star Game and finished second in the NHL with ten game-winning goals.

In 1999-2000, Demitra led the Blues to a President's Trophy championship and played in the mid-season NHL All-Star Game. He finished the year with 75 points in 71 games and won the Lady Byng Trophy for his sportsmanlike play. In 2000-01, Demitra was limited to just 44 games, but still led the club with a +27 plus/minus rating. He had 20 goals and 45 points while the Blues reached the 100-point mark for the second straight year. Upon his arrival in St. Louis, Demitra proved to be one of the elite players in the NHL, surpassing the 500-games played and 500-point plateau during the 2003-04 season.

However, once the 2004-05 NHL lock out had been settled, Demitra soon after became a member of the Los Angeles Kings. His 25 goals helped lift the Kings offence but the team again failed to make the playoffs in 2005-06. Demitra was sent to the Minesota Wild for Patrick O'Sullivan and a 2006 first-round draft pick.

Aside from his World Junior appearance in 1993 and World Cup appearance in 1996, Demitra has represented Slovakia at the World Championships (1996, 2003-2005), the 2002, 2006 Winter Olympics and the 2004 World Cup of Hockey.

Pierre Mondou (548 Games, 194 Goals, 456 Points)
Pavol Demitra (714 Games, 275 Goals, 670 Points)

I will PM the next GM.

chaosrevolver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:22 PM
pitseleh

With our second pick, the Americans are proud to select an early great, D Hobey Baker.

I'm in class right now, so I'll post more info when I get home.

EDIT: seventieslord has been PM'd.

Old
01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
God Bless Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
With our second pick, the Americans are proud to select an early great, D Hobey Baker.

I'm in class right now, so I'll post more info when I get home.
I applauded MXD and Eagle for this selection when they became the first to ever pick Baker in the last draft, and I'll applaud it again, I probably would have given Hobey a long, long look, but I have the feeling that hockey's ultimate bastian of sportsmanship might have some philosophical problems with the team that raleh and I want to build.

Old
01-15-2008, 05:15 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

1st round reflections:

players stolen from the Redmen long list: Karakas, Roberts, Moran
players who should've been on the list: Corbeau
players perhaps drafted a bit early: Pederson. Mcneil, Mondou
interesting picks: Cude, T. Smith

Old
01-15-2008, 05:44 PM
seventieslord

Can you elaborate on "interesting"?

FYI, I will not be picking for about 4 hours. I need to research.