HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How do you guys like Gomez?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2008, 09:30 AM
  #76
JimEIV
Registered User
 
JimEIV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 24,079
vCash: 500
I'm sorry I brought up Parise's name........It wasn't meant to be a comparision of their ability; I brought up his name because he is the Devils best forward; and just because a player is your best doesn't mean he is worth a crazy amount of money....That was my only point.

7.3 cap is A LOT of money.

Marc Savard has been the one of the, if not the Best playmakers in the leaugue for the last few season --- Mark Savard = 5,000,000. This should be Gomez' range in my opinion.

Take a look at some Cap numbers for other players around the league....

Jerome Iginla = 7,000,000
Vinny Lecavalier = 6,875,000
Pavel Datsyuk = 6,700,000
Joe Thornton = 6,666,667
Ilya Kovalchuk = 6,389,286
Chris Pronger = 6,250,000
Marian Hossa = 6,000,000
Scott Niedermayer = 6,750,000

Thornton and Datsyuk signed this year so those numbers aren't older contracts reflecting and earlier market. These guys are game changers and I personally wouldn't put Gomez at this level.

By the beginging of next season the Rangers will Most likely have at least 21+ Million in cap space tied up in 3 players (Gomez, Drury and Lundqvist).........There is no way Gomez or Drury are "earning their dough".

I think its hard to argue that 7.3 would have been better spent on a defensemen and another top 6 foward besides Gomez. The Team would have been more balanced and more manueverable financially.

JimEIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:35 AM
  #77
DontStepanMe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Queens, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I'm sorry I brought up Parise's name........It wasn't meant to be a comparision of their ability; I brought up his name because he is the Devils best forward; and just because a player is your best doesn't mean he is worth a crazy amount of money....That was my only point.

7.3 cap is A LOT of money.

Marc Savard has been the one of the, if not the Best playmakers in the leaugue for the last few season --- Mark Savard = 5,000,000. This should be Gomez' range in my opinion.

Take a look at some Cap numbers for other players around the league....

Jerome Iginla = 7,000,000
Vinny Lecavalier = 6,875,000
Pavel Datsyuk = 6,700,000
Joe Thornton = 6,666,667
Ilya Kovalchuk = 6,389,286
Chris Pronger = 6,250,000
Marian Hossa = 6,000,000
Scott Niedermayer = 6,750,000

Thornton and Datsyuk signed this year so those numbers aren't older contracts reflecting and earlier market. These guys are game changers and I personally wouldn't put Gomez at this level.

By the beginging of next season the Rangers will Most likely have at least 21+ Million in cap space tied up in 3 players (Gomez, Drury and Lundqvist).........There is no way Gomez or Drury are "earning their dough".

I think its hard to argue that 7.3 would have been better spent on a defensemen and another top 6 foward besides Gomez. The Team would have been more balanced and more manueverable financially.
While I agree on everything you say here, except the 3 players w/ $21 mil (i dont think Hank will get close to $7 mil/season), you have to remember that these players are all players that re-signed w/ their teams and never hit the open market. On the open market most if not all of these players would have salaries over $8mil. This is the difference. If the Rangers had originally owned gomez (ie they drafted him) I think he would have signed w/ the Rangers for abour $5.5 mil. But once on the UFA market you have to overpay for players to get their services b/c you are bidding against many other teams. It's just a case of supply and demand.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
  #78
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
I think its hard to argue that 7.3 would have been better spent on a defensemen and another top 6 foward besides Gomez. The Team would have been more balanced and more manueverable financially.
What other UFA centers were available for less money besides Nylander?

Devils fans are arguing a point as if it exists in a vacuum. The Rangers needed a player who filled a certain role. Gomez was a player available who filled that role. He was paid the market rate for an unrestricted free agent first line center, a job he now anchors admirably to the delight of Ranger fans. So, if the team is happy, and the player is happy, and the fans are happy, what point is being argued anyway?

And what in the hell does an a 24 year old player who has never been an UFA have to do with the Rangers or Scott Gomez?

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:45 AM
  #79
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,773
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
What other UFA centers were available for less money besides Nylander?

Devils fans are arguing a point as if it exists in a vacuum. The Rangers needed a player who filled a certain role. Gomez was a player available who filled that role. He was paid the market rate for an unrestricted free agent first line center, a job he now anchors admirably to the delight of Ranger fans. So, if the team is happy, and the player is happy, and the fans are happy, what point is being argued anyway?

And what in the hell does an a 24 year old player who has never been an UFA have to do with the Rangers or Scott Gomez?
Very well said, MJ.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:46 AM
  #80
britdevil
Tea with milk...
 
britdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Internets.
Posts: 18,831
vCash: 500
You people are absolutely crazy. Some of the comments you throw at each other for both of our teams leading point getters, is truly disgusting...

Do I miss Gomez, sure... Can he be replaced, deffinately.

Whilst its hard to swallow for us that he signed for the Rangers, something he swore he would never do, its not like we couldnt of matched the offer. At the end of the day, you can see the gulf in how our teams are ran. you can throw alot of money at players, but then you have less money to surround them with talent. I think this is why you see the standings now, as they are.

I digress.

Is he going to earn his money, yep, hes going to lead the team in points, not alot more he can do. Is he worth it, nope.

Rangers fans forget we got to see him for 7 years in Devil red, its not like we dont know who he is, or how he plays. You guys are the novices to Scott Gomez, not us.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
  #81
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Rangers fans forget we got to see him for 7 years in Devil red, its not like we dont know who he is, or how he plays. You guys are the novices to Scott Gomez, not us.
Sorry, but Devils fans lost almost all credibility opinion wise when they came over here and said he'd only score 50 points... would never play defense... would never play hard and would take games off... etc etc.

We heard that **** all summer and it's already been proven completely false and it makes YOU guys look like the "novices to Scott Gomez".

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:54 AM
  #82
britdevil
Tea with milk...
 
britdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Internets.
Posts: 18,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sorry, but Devils fans lost almost all credibility opinion wise when they came over here and said he'd only score 50 points... would never play defense... would never play hard and would take games off... etc etc.

We heard that **** all summer and it's already been proven completely false and it makes YOU guys look like the "novices to Scott Gomez".
Unfortunately Jon, as much as you want me to be one of those guys, im not.

Like I said, I miss Gomer. I was just answering the OP.

Some of you guys on here, Rangers and Devils, seriously need a head checking. The hate is almost non-sensical.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:57 AM
  #83
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Unfortunately Jon, as much as you want me to be one of those guys, im not.

Like I said, I miss Gomer. I was just answering the OP.

Some of you guys on here, Rangers and Devils, seriously need a head checking. The hate is almost non-sensical.
I'm simply saying that Devils fans acted like they knew everything about the guy when everything they said was pretty much completely untrue.

Devils fans were the guys who brought up Parise and it went from there in this thread. Blame your own board members for the derailment if you want to blame anyone.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:02 AM
  #84
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
At the end of the day, you can see the gulf in how our teams are ran. you can throw alot of money at players, but then you have less money to surround them with talent. I think this is why you see the standings now, as they are.
How is that a problem exclusive to the New York Rangers in a salary cap environment?

Ranger fans haven't seen a player fit to be a called a "first line center" on their team since Gretzky. Identifying that as gaping and longstanding hole in the team, that is where Glen Sather chose to spend his money on his team this off-season. You don't have to agree with just as many Ranger fans don't.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:24 AM
  #85
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,685
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
And my point is that would be impossible at 80 or so points for 10 million this season
The Rangers did not sign Scott Gomez to have a dazzling center solely to put up 100 points a season with Jagr, so if Devils fans are somehow suggesting that he will not put up enough points to justify his salary, then they're not understanding why he was signed. It goes beyond personal stats to team success. The Rangers feel they have a better shot at long term success with Scott Gomez signed at a $7.3-million cap hit than Michael Nylander at a lesser number. They invested in a 28-year-old who played a top-6 forward role on two Cup winners over a 35-year-old who will be entering his decline shortly. Gomez's deal isn't just about this season. It's a 7-year pact.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:28 AM
  #86
britdevil
Tea with milk...
 
britdevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Internets.
Posts: 18,831
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
How is that a problem exclusive to the New York Rangers in a salary cap environment?

Ranger fans haven't seen a player fit to be a called a "first line center" on their team since Gretzky. Identifying that as gaping and longstanding hole in the team, that is where Glen Sather chose to spend his money on his team this off-season. You don't have to agree with just as many Ranger fans don't.
I didnt say it was a problem that was Rangers exclusive, its mutually exclusive now that you mention it. Its a problem that will grow and grow, with the salary cap going up and up until another lockout has to happen.

Your right also, I dont agree with it, you needed a first line center great, you signed your rival teams first line center. You can see why guys still begrudge your team, and the GM that signed him. Surely you dont ever expect the most stalwart of fans to ever give up jabbing at that dubious signing???

Spin it, we sign Staal as a UFA, in several years time, after all those years of us hating him, and you loving him (i never loved Gomez), then think for just one second, ouch thats gotta hurt. But hey, were seasoned vets in this practice.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:26 AM
  #87
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
I didnt say it was a problem that was Rangers exclusive, its mutually exclusive now that you mention it. Its a problem that will grow and grow, with the salary cap going up and up until another lockout has to happen.

Your right also, I dont agree with it, you needed a first line center great, you signed your rival teams first line center. You can see why guys still begrudge your team, and the GM that signed him. Surely you dont ever expect the most stalwart of fans to ever give up jabbing at that dubious signing???

Spin it, we sign Staal as a UFA, in several years time, after all those years of us hating him, and you loving him (i never loved Gomez), then think for just one second, ouch thats gotta hurt. But hey, were seasoned vets in this practice.

How's about the 3.5 million you guys gave Zubrus and the 4 million that Madden is making? That's about 7.5 mill combined for a cap hit of roughly 6.5 million. So for 1 million more, we get a top line center in his prime who's producing (42 points) at virtually the same rate as two of your centers combined (45 points). I'll take that. Thanks.

You could take this even further when looking at Elias' 25 points and his 6 million doallar cap hit as well.

No one here cares about your devil spin-doctoring.

This wouldn't be an issue if the players around Gomez were producing.

The Devils are getting a team effort night in and night out right now. The Rangers are not.

The 7.5 million dollar cap hit, as proven here, has no effect on the other players performance on the ice.

Once this team gets rolling, this won't matter.


Last edited by ruckus*: 01-15-2008 at 11:31 AM.
ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:24 PM
  #88
HBK27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
As a Devils fan, I’ll admit that I’ve been wrong about how I thought Gomez would perform thus far. I didn’t think that he’d completely **** the bed or anything, but he’s definitely playing better than I’ve envisioned. Is he worth the $7.3M cap hit…maybe not when compared to what some of the other top players in the league are making, but most of them either re-signed with their team or signed a contract a prior to this offseason so it’s tough to compare. Bringing in a guy as a UFA is going to cost more anyway – at the end of the day though, Gomez is at the very least playing up to expectations, so Ranger fans should be happy to have him even at that cap hit. I also agree with Jon that the $10M salary he gets this year is essentially meaningless to fans – it’s really only the cap hit that matters.

I thought the Rangers would’ve been better off signing only one of Drury & Gomez this past offseason and taking a run at someone like Hossa this offseason…then again, with Jagr & Shanny getting up their in age they’re in a bit of a win now mode, so it made sense making such a big splash this past offseason (note that I’m not implying that they don’t have the youth to stay competitive for many years to come).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sorry, but Devils fans lost almost all credibility opinion wise when they came over here and said he'd only score 50 points... would never play defense... would never play hard and would take games off... etc etc.

We heard that **** all summer and it's already been proven completely false and it makes YOU guys look like the "novices to Scott Gomez".
Sorry Jon, but you have a really bad habit of lumping all Devils fans together into some kind of distorted view you think we have. Yeah, I’m sure there were quite a few Devils fans that may have said stuff like this, but act like such a vast majority of fans were saying this.

I doubt that many really thought he’d only get 50 points, but he does have some history of not being as defensively responsible as other Devils players and he has struggled with consistency in his career – I can recall Pat Burns in particular calling him out and struggling for a while to really light a fire under Gomez’ ass.

That doesn’t seem to be an issue this season though – after some early struggles (maybe getting used to the team / system) it seems like he’s their best forward on the ice more games than not. Maybe it’s the opportunity to play on a big stage that has him motivated, or he’s trying to justify the salary or whatever…but something is driving him. I’d think you’d have to admit though that some of the Devils fans that thought he’d struggle with consistency or motivation had some reason to believe that given what we had seen him do in NJ…just because that hasn’t been the case, doesn’t mean there wasn’t a basis for thinking it may happen.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:28 PM
  #89
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,411
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK27 View Post
Sorry Jon, but you have a really bad habit of lumping all Devils fans together into some kind of distorted view you think we have. Yeah, I’m sure there were quite a few Devils fans that may have said stuff like this, but act like such a vast majority of fans were saying this.
Where were you this summer, then? Never took a look at our board (or yours)? It was probably just the hate from the fact that he signed with us, but the retarded comments were coming from just so many damn people it wasn't even funny.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:56 PM
  #90
HBK27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Where were you this summer, then? Never took a look at our board (or yours)? It was probably just the hate from the fact that he signed with us, but the retarded comments were coming from just so many damn people it wasn't even funny.
I was right here this summer as well & why I understand there were a good amount of Devils posters going overboard with their hatred for Gomez signing with the Rangers, there were quite a few of us as well that were very level headed about the whole ordeal. I just take a bit of offense when you paint all Devils posters with one brush.

For what it’s worth, I wasn’t too bothered by Gomez signing with the Rangers. I would’ve liked to have seen him stay with the Devils, but not at that price – I didn’t think he’d be worth the money. That type of contract was easier for a team like the Rangers to absorb than the Devils, who had struggled to stay under the cap the previous 2 seasons. I actually liked the fact that the Rangers had so much money tied up in him a Drury – I thought it would hurt them in the long-run. So far I’m being proven wrong about the Gomez signing – it’s turned out very well for the Rangers thus far. I still expected Drury to perform better – but really, both these guys were brought in more for what they can do in the postseason.

HBK27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 06:38 PM
  #91
Blackjack
Registered User
 
Blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Sorry, but Devils fans lost almost all credibility opinion wise when they came over here and said he'd only score 50 points... would never play defense... would never play hard and would take games off... etc etc.

We heard that **** all summer and it's already been proven completely false and it makes YOU guys look like the "novices to Scott Gomez".
Is that a joke? Gomez has been the Rangers' best forward and I doubt any Devils fan would deny it, but the predictions were based on the way Gomez played for NJ. He was never a good defensive forward, he was never consistent, and he had two seasons where he scored 55 points or less.

Again, based on what I saw in NJ, I will be very surprised if Gomez maintains this intensity throughout his career in NY. Maybe he will prove me wrong again, but all I have to go off of is what he did in NJ.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 06:55 PM
  #92
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Ranger View Post
Parise, 206 games - 134 points = 0.65 PPG, Career +3

Gomez, 593 games - 491 points = 0.82 PPG, Career +62

No, obviously one has played more seasons than the other.

Parise is a better goal scorer while Gomez is a better playmaker.

Gomez is a better play than Parise. Just because he's your stud doesn't mean you have to act like a moron and disregard Gomez's wonderful play on the ice.

Jeez you Devil fans are some kind of crew, let me tell yeah, I've met maybe a handful that admit Gomez was a big part of their team there and a big part of the 2 Stanley Cup Championships, but ever since he's a Ranger..you guys are just so anti-Gomez that you make up stuff, you say "he was not a big part of our SC Championships" etc etc... where do you guys come off?
As if Parise's 32 point rookie season matters AT ALL in this argument? We're talking about who's the better player right now, and that's Parise.

I'm a moron? You've presented no convincing evidence that Gomez is a better player than Parise, just that Parise had trouble adjusting in 05-06, leading to the difference in ppg. Parise is a more dynamic offensive player, able to create his own offense and set up teammates. Gomez is very streaky and relies heavily on the finishing ability of his linemates. Gomez is also an easier player to shut down based on the fact that he's a pure playmaker. Parise is a sparkplug who hits, forchecks, hustles, and plays solid defense. Gomez isn't bad in the defensize zone by any means, but his effort isn't always there and he isn't nearly as good as Zach on the forecheck. You're entitled to your opinion, but enjoy the next couple seasons when Parise is a perennial 80-90 point player earning 3M a season while Gomez and his $7.3M paycheck wallows at 70 points.

Gomez was a big part of the Devils cup teams. However, he is grossly overpaid right now. 15-20g, 65-70pt players are not worth $7.3Mper for 7 years. There is no arguing this fact.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:02 PM
  #93
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
What other UFA centers were available for less money besides Nylander?

Devils fans are arguing a point as if it exists in a vacuum. The Rangers needed a player who filled a certain role. Gomez was a player available who filled that role. He was paid the market rate for an unrestricted free agent first line center, a job he now anchors admirably to the delight of Ranger fans. So, if the team is happy, and the player is happy, and the fans are happy, what point is being argued anyway?

And what in the hell does an a 24 year old player who has never been an UFA have to do with the Rangers or Scott Gomez?
Because Gomez's and Drury's contracts will be a hindrance down the road. Just because there's a need doesn't mean you give out a ridiculous contract to a player like Gomez. Maybe Rangers fans have trouble with the terms fiscal responsibility and financial restraint. Lundqvist, Gomez, and Drury will eat up over 20M by next season. That trio doesn't add up to the ability level of Richards, Lecavalier, and St. Louis, yet they cost more. Good luck finding that stud defensemen when 40% of your cap is tied up in three players (long-term!).

The Rangers could have pursued a center via trade (you had the prospects/young roster players to do it), or simply signed one of Gomez or Drury. Do not excuse Sather's frivolousnesses.


Last edited by Feed Me A Stray Cat: 01-16-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:08 PM
  #94
Feed Me A Stray Cat
Registered User
 
Feed Me A Stray Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,384
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilo41ak View Post
You can't be serious about Parise being better then Gomez. Parise has a lot to do to even catch up to Gomez. C'mon, I know you are all sad that he left, but that doesn't make him any less of a hockey player. A Stanley Cup, Calder and All-Star in his first season, and Parise....
Gomez's past accolades are great. He was a big part of the Devils cup teams and he did win the calder...in 2000. The question reads: Better player right now? That is Zach Parise. Read the above post for my reasoning.

And no, no one is sad that he left at that price. Gomez would be nice to have but not with his contract. The Rangers, predicted to finish first in the Atlantic, are now 8 points behind the Devils while having played two more games. New Jersey fans are not sad, but quite content.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:13 PM
  #95
Blackjack
Registered User
 
Blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Posts: 6,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
How's about the 3.5 million you guys gave Zubrus and the 4 million that Madden is making? That's about 7.5 mill combined for a cap hit of roughly 6.5 million. So for 1 million more, we get a top line center in his prime who's producing (42 points) at virtually the same rate as two of your centers combined (45 points). I'll take that. Thanks.
I'd take Madden and Zubrus over Gomez. At least, the Gomez that played in NJ since 2000. Part of the reason your team has problems is that you lack the 2nd tier talent guys like Zubrus, Madden, Langenbrunner, Brylin and Pandolfo.

Quote:
You could take this even further when looking at Elias' 25 points and his 6 million doallar cap hit as well.
No one would deny that Elias is having a massively disappointing season, but he is better than Gomez in almost every facet of the game. Higher ppg regular season, much higher ppg in the playoffs, more physical, bigger, and much better defensively. Gomez is a better puck carrier and has better vision. That's about it. At $6 million Elias is a screaming bargain.

Quote:
This wouldn't be an issue if the players around Gomez were producing.

The Devils are getting a team effort night in and night out right now. The Rangers are not.

The 7.5 million dollar cap hit, as proven here, has no effect on the other players performance on the ice.

Once this team gets rolling, this won't matter.
The Devils have three of their top scorers under-performing. Zach Parise is slumping (at least as far as scoring is concerned), but the team stilll wins because they have depth.

Point is that it's very risky to put so much of the cap into one player unless that player is a legitimate world beater (Lemieux, Gretzky, Crosby, Ovechkin). If the cap continues to go up and Gomez continues scoring at a 80 point/season pace, his contract quickly becomes a bargain. If the cap shrinks and Gomez slumps, Garden fans will turn on him very quickly.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:14 PM
  #96
gaglinefan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Scott Gomez

Having watched most of the games this year he has been the best player on the team in plenty of them. No lack of hustle, superior puck handler, knows how to slow the play down to do something and usually defensively responsible. I really like him regardless of what he is paid, jmho

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:32 PM
  #97
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,961
vCash: 500
im glad he is a ranger and not on some other team.....i think we are just seeing a small point of his potential......once the older players leave i think drury and gomez will be much better as they lead the younger players forward

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:08 PM
  #98
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Because Gomez's and Drury's contracts will be a hindrance down the road. Just because there's a need doesn't mean you give out a ridiculous contract to a player like Gomez. Maybe Rangers fans have trouble with the terms fiscal responsibility and financial restraint. Lundqvist, Gomez, and Drury will eat up over 20M by next season. That trio doesn't add up the ability level of Richards, Lecavalier, and St. Louis, and they cost more. Good look finding that stud defensemen when 40% of your cap is tied up in three players (long-term!).


The Rangers could have pursued a center via trade (you had the prospects/young roster players to do it), or simply signed one of Gomez or Drury. Do not excuse Sather's frivolousnesses.

All right, first off, if you add up the 3 players you mentioned's (Lecavalier, Richards, St. Louis) cap hit, it comes out to 19.9 million...or roughly twenty million. So that's basically identical to what Gomez, Drury, and Lundqvist will be doing. Get your facts straight. Also, making a comment that they don't add up to the "ability level" makes you seem pretty much like a joke. Our cap hit will be virtually identical to there's in terms of those three players and we'll have A FRANCHISE GOALTENDER included in our three. How's that big line doing down in Tampa right now? Oh that's right..They're one of the worst teams in the league because they have no goalie. In order to get that goalie, they'll probably have to go out and overspend some more. Make some sense, and maybe I'll listen to you. Until then take your skewed Devils vision back to your own board.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I'd take Madden and Zubrus over Gomez. At least, the Gomez that played in NJ since 2000. Part of the reason your team has problems is that you lack the 2nd tier talent guys like Zubrus, Madden, Langenbrunner, Brylin and Pandolfo.



No one would deny that Elias is having a massively disappointing season, but he is better than Gomez in almost every facet of the game. Higher ppg regular season, much higher ppg in the playoffs, more physical, bigger, and much better defensively. Gomez is a better puck carrier and has better vision. That's about it. At $6 million Elias is a screaming bargain.



The Devils have three of their top scorers under-performing. Zach Parise is slumping (at least as far as scoring is concerned), but the team stilll wins because they have depth.

Point is that it's very risky to put so much of the cap into one player unless that player is a legitimate world beater (Lemieux, Gretzky, Crosby, Ovechkin). If the cap continues to go up and Gomez continues scoring at a 80 point/season pace, his contract quickly becomes a bargain. If the cap shrinks and Gomez slumps, Garden fans will turn on him very quickly.

I made the exact same point in the comment that you quoted me from. I said the Devils are getting contributions from everyone right now and the Rangers are not. And that is the difference between the two clubs right now. With that said, I'll take being 8 points behind you guys with as piss poor as we've played, and as well as you've seemed to play. Your point about it being risky to put that much stock into one player because of the cap is fine. But you saying you'd take Madden and Zubrus over Gomez because it's those 2nd tier players that are benefitting you is crazy if you're trying to argue salary cap. In fact, it makes what we did look even better. The player that we chose to give that money to is producing at the same rate as TWO players combined who together have a nearly identical cap hit as our one. If a second player like a Dubinsky or Prucha or Dawes or Callahan (the list is endless of players who haven't produced for us) was having a semi-average year, then our two players in comparion with yours would be superior to yours, for the same price. The difference, again, is that our other players haven't produced. That however, has nothing to do with Gomez, and in no way makes his contract unjustifiable or foolish.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:53 PM
  #99
Nature's Minister
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 72
vCash: 500
I really don't think you understand Madden's role on the Devils. Hint: any offense, especially since he is paired most often with Pandolfo, is a bonus. He is a shut down defensive center through and through, and one of the very best at his job in the league.

A better comparison would be Elias, who is, admittedly, underperforming. But he is also signed for less and has been consistently better than Gomez (who, more than likely, is overachieving) in every facet of the game. Even playing with Jagr, I doubt Gomez will put up the numbers Elias did while playing with Arnott and Sykora.

Also, being on pace to be 24th in sv% hardly qualifies a goalie as a potential franchise player. The Rangers will probably give Lundqvist 7 million a year, or close to it, but it's not like he has exactly earned it.

Nature's Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 11:55 PM
  #100
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
No most of the season he spent w/ Shanny on the 2nd line. He has elevated Shanny's game as well as Jagrs game. He brings speed and energy w/ him for every game. He is really enjoying to watch. Basically everybody he has played w/ has played better w/ him. I think its because he actually makes people move instead of just sitting in one area. Gomez is constantly buzzing around.
I always liked Gomez after watching him on the Devils, u just knew he would be a really good player.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.