HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Our defense...who stays and who goes?

Old
01-10-2008, 09:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Our defense...who stays and who goes?

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=463730

There's a thread I posted on the trade board..but I'd like some internal discussion here, as well.

Who is our best trading chip? I know that everyone guns to trade Zidlicky or Klein, those are the easy answers...but what about Suter, if the right offer was made? Hamhuis?

I'd love to get some discussion going here about this matter. When Weber comes back, it seems like a foregone conclusion that something will have to be done.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

two deals proposed by a kings fan that intrigue me:

nagy for klein and a third

I would try to bump that pick down to a fourth, but Nagy would be decent on our second line.

Cammalleri for Suter

I think this is a mutually beneficial deal...cammalleri would instantly become the best pure goal scorer we have on the team, and would look great on the wing opposite radulov and centered by legwand.

Old
01-10-2008, 10:33 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

I would try to bump that pick down to a fourth, but Nagy would be decent on our second line.

Cammalleri for Suter

I think this is a mutually beneficial deal...cammalleri would instantly become the best pure goal scorer we have on the team, and would look great on the wing opposite radulov and centered by legwand.

I'd do Cammalleri for SUter in a hearbeat. Suter has skills but he is probaly the most expendable person that could also give us the best return

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Jarnberg

I have a feeling Suter might be the odd man out honestly. He likely has alot of trade value.

I'm sure we'd prefer to get rid of Klein first, but its doubtful that he has alot of value at this point and we'd have to pull a Lehtonen to Buffalo type trade, although he'd likely bring back a bit more then a 4th.

Zidlicky and Koistinen have started to gel together on the PP
Weber and Hamhuis, I can't see either being traded
I doubt anyone would take on de Vries 's contract vs what they would be getting
I can't see Zanon going anywhere due to his ability on the PK and his ability to block shots. Plus, he likely wouldn't have alot of trade value because alot of what he does goes unnoticed.

Its either Suter or Klein imo. Suter is out if we want to make a big splash and improve our forward core. Klein, if we want to simply offload someone in a small deal.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Its a shame that as soon as we finally find a partner for Zidlicky (not named Suter) that we move Suter. I think Marek has held Ryan back for awhile now. That said, I think Klein, Suter, or Zidlicky are the three most likely to be dealt, and with Koistenen's chemistry with Zidlicky...probably Klein or Suter.

01-10-2008, 12:28 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

I proposed this in the thread on the Trade board:

Tambellini for Klein

Both players are 23, both are blocked from getting an NHL roster spot, both have played very well in the AHL, Isles need d-men, the Preds need a scoring winger. Thoughts?

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 04:07 PM
braindead

To repost a shortened more coherent version of my thoughts in the other thread: I think Suter is gone b/c the Preds are prepared to give Phaneuf-lite money to Weber but aren't willing to give Phaneuf-lite or Weber-lite money to Suter. The return on cheap contracts for Klien and Koistenen is much better and frees up money to be spent in other places. Plus Suter gets us the most in return.

(I'd still pack up Zids to go with him if given the chance. The return on investment isn't there for him either and Franson/Laakso, etc. are coming).

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 05:55 PM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I agree, Suter is probably going to want more than we will be offering.

Suter for LA's Cammy sounds awesome to me

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2008, 11:55 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd personally prefer Frolov to add size and skill.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
I agree, Suter is probably going to want more than we will be offering.

Suter for LA's Cammy sounds awesome to me
Then why don't we wait and let him sign an offersheet, just to see how much he'd cost. If it's too much then we take the compensation like the Ducks did with Penner???

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I'd personally prefer Frolov to add size and skill.
To get Frolov, you'd have to overpay.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:26 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

To get Suter you'd have to overpay...

See how that works, you have to give to get....

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2008, 09:35 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Then why don't we wait and let him sign an offersheet, just to see how much he'd cost. If it's too much then we take the compensation like the Ducks did with Penner???
A first and a third....I think I would rather have Suter at this point. We need the help now, not in the future.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
To get Suter you'd have to overpay...

See how that works, you have to give to get....
And Cammalleri isn't giving something?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
A first and a third....I think I would rather have Suter at this point. We need the help now, not in the future.
If he sings for that amount then we should be able to match. I'm talking over 3.5 mil a year or so. Let other teams do the pricing for us.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Jarnberg

Poile doesn't want to make any moves

Quote:
The NHL's trade deadline is still some six weeks away, but as Predators General Manager David Poile looks ahead, he doesn't think there's an urgency to make any big personnel moves.

"I think we should say we could be buyer, seller or neither,'' Poile said. "Going back to last offseason and the changes we made both in players we didn't re-sign and players we brought in there have been a lot of changes. I would be very happy to not have any changes between now and the end of the year.''

"Ideally, I'd like to see everyone play to their potential and if that happens, we'd be winning games on a regular basis and be a playoff team,'' Poile said. "One word that comes into my head for the first half is 'inconsistency,' as a team and as players. If we could get everyone's 'A' game on a consistent basis, I think we have a very good hockey club.
So it looks like Poile just expects everyone to just all of a sudden turn around our play. So perhaps we won't go through the yearly downfall during the second half of the season?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 04:26 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Back to Klein, I only saw the end of the third period vs CBJ; how did Klein play? Looked pretty strong from about the 13:00 mark...

I am becoming more comfortable with the idea of packaging Suter plus and keeping Klein the more he gets to play. Considering we have Cody Franson also on the way. Do we have any reports on how he is doing?

Last edited by darth5: 01-13-2008 at 04:27 PM. Reason: missed a thought
darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 50
What might Nashville want from the Flames for Suter?

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Wpg Jets

Send a message via Yahoo to Wpg Jets
how abot Kessel for suter?

Wpg Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:23 PM
PredsMan

Suter is probably the most tradeable of the lot.

He's got a skillset that's very marketable, and one that we have alot of.

Plus, you have to look down the road and wonder how we'd ever be able to keep/pay so many top pairing D-men. We wouldn't have anything up front if we did that.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 01:19 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
So it looks like Poile just expects everyone to just all of a sudden turn around our play. So perhaps we won't go through the yearly downfall during the second half of the season?
I understand where you're coming from, but it wouldn't be the first time that Poile made comments like that and then blew out some major trade.

I don't think they'll keep 8 defensemen on the roster...I don't necessarily think they'll make some blockbuster deal...but I do think something will be done, even if it's just for a draft pick.

Old
01-15-2008, 02:43 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Cammalleri for Suter is a good deal for both clubs. Each gets what they need, while giving up something in an area where they have a surplus.

I have proposed Cammalleri for Suter many times on the Kings board.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Cammalleri for Suter is a good deal for both clubs. Each gets what they need, while giving up something in an area where they have a surplus.

I have proposed Cammalleri for Suter many times on the Kings board.
I like the deal too, my only apprehension is that we would be trading Suter in the conference, but that's not a deal-breaker and certainly isn't something that couldn't be overcome. I would like to see how Cammalleri responds when he gets back into the Kings lineup though. He has been out for a while now since he tussle with Zanon, I think it was a rib injury, correct?

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 03:26 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I like the deal too, my only apprehension is that we would be trading Suter in the conference, but that's not a deal-breaker and certainly isn't something that couldn't be overcome. I would like to see how Cammalleri responds when he gets back into the Kings lineup though. He has been out for a while now since he tussle with Zanon, I think it was a rib injury, correct?
Correct, he has a rib injury. The Kings are being careful with him. No point in rushing him back at this point in our season, and it gives us a chance to give some kids in Manchester a cup of coffee with the big club.

Looking forward to seeing what Purcell can do when he gets into the lineup.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Stars-Preds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post

Cammalleri for Suter

First: stay the heck away from Ladislov Nagy. The Stars acquired him last season for the playoff run (for a first rounder) and he was terrible. Soft player, not clutch, didn't do anything in the playoffs. Seriously, he is horrible and overrated.

Second: I would love to do Cammy for Suter. Not sure if that's enough for the Kings. I have a friend who is a big Kings guy and he seems to think it would cost a little more to get Cammy (everyone wants Weber, but we are obviously not trading him).

Third: I would really like the see the Preds shop guys who probably aren't going to be a factor when this team is ready to win again (guys like Bonk, Gelinas, De Vries, etc.) or players who may not be here next season (Dumont for example). We could really capitalize on their value by acquiring additional draft picks or prospects.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote