HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Flex questions.

Old
01-07-2008, 09:14 PM
ApeZilla

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Stick Flex questions.

I recently picked up a Bauer One 70. Which is a stiffer stick than my previous one. The stock flex is 87, but I cut it down 1 1/2 inches I've noticed a transitioning period. My whole game went awry, shot was off stick ,handling was slow (The One 70 is not that light) Since then my game has come back and everything has gotten better (Including my form),however today I tried out my older stick (Which was a junior size generic Bauer flex 52) My wrist shot seemed to have so much more snap to it. I'm a forward, and a fairly shifty one. I don't have a big slap shot and don't pretend to, I mainly use my wrister and deke when in close. Do you think I should go with a lighter more felxible stick and if so which is a good one? Every stick I find that has a good flex to it is too short and every stick that is long enough has a flex over 85.

Thank You.

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Free Probie

Flex point is sometimes more important than flex for instance the lower the flex point in the stick the stiffer it feels. Trial and error is really the only way to feel this. Also the sticks flex more with age. I would try some of the sticks from Mission. I have even had great success with the Mission Toxic (around $80). The most important part of a stick in my opinon is the lie, I even sand down the heel of my sticks. Buy a inexpensive stick and experiment a little.

Free Probie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Thrasha81

I have a really stiff CCM that I don't like.

Theoretically you can increase flex by removing material from the shaft in the area that you want it to flex- example drill a couple of holes say 8" apart and then using maybe a jig saw cut a slot. Never tried it but am going to soon with this CCM I have.

Thrasha81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:15 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Making your stick longer will increase the flex and shortening it will make it more stiff. Adding a longer grip to the end of your stick (such as an oggie grip) will raise your flex point and make the stick more flexible.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 05:34 PM
hock49

I spoke a little on this the other day. Kovalchuk alegedly using an Oggie.When I cut my stick down (I'm short) my sticks always get stiffer, and there has been alot of talk about the Oggie helping with the flex, I checked out their Website and it seems pretty neat. I am planning on trying one this week.

hock49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Bsfan26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock49 View Post
I spoke a little on this the other day. Kovalchuk alegedly using an Oggie.When I cut my stick down (I'm short) my sticks always get stiffer, and there has been alot of talk about the Oggie helping with the flex, I checked out their Website and it seems pretty neat. I am planning on trying one this week.
I have one and it absolutely works. The grip itself has a flex point in the stick and therefore helps put back the flex taken out of the stick after being cut down. They have classic and ergo. ergo takes a bit to get used to but it definitely helped my shot.

Bsfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 08:58 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I actually like the Ergo a lot. It feels so nice in your hand.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote