HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The Arena

Old
01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Al Bundy*

vCash: 500
The Arena

Before the Kiel/Savvis/Scottrade Center, there was the old St. Louis Arena.

What was it like to go to a game at that old building?

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
BluesDarb

It was awesome. I only had the opportunity a few times as a youngster, so the 'veterans' around here could tell ya more, but from what I remember it was LOUD and the steps were perilously steep.

I loved that old barn.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Al Bundy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesDarb View Post
It was awesome. I only had the opportunity a few times as a youngster, so the 'veterans' around here could tell ya more, but from what I remember it was LOUD and the steps were perilously steep.

I loved that old barn.
What years did you visit the Arena?

Were those the years when Brett Hull went on a goal-scoring rampage"

Al Bundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 06:58 PM
StLooFrenchy

I've been to the barn from the Sutter/Federko years up til it was demo'ed. When you hear people say it rocked, it really did. When everybody started clapping and stomping, the building actually moved. The acoustics were unbearable, the place was filthy, and the restrooms were usually three inches deep with a water/urine cocktail. All in all, a really great place to catch a game.

Last edited by StLooFrenchy: 01-18-2008 at 07:32 AM. Reason: I kint spelt gud.
StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 07:03 PM
StLooFrenchy

If any of you have a copy of the farewell special Channel 11 did on the Barn, one clip shows the crowd right on the mezz rail jump up to celebrate a goal, I am the guy with the cast on his right hand.

StLooFrenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 07:53 PM
General Veers

So many wonderful childhood memories. Remember the little punk*** kids who would drop peanut shells through the tiny holes beneath each seat onto unsuspecting people walking below? well... I was that kid!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:07 PM
TheGreatOne

Ehhh great gaylord

TheGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:17 PM
trublu16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StLooFrenchy View Post
I've been to the barn from the Sutter/Federko years up til it was demo'ed. When you here people say it rocked, it really did. When everybody started clapping and stomping, the building actually moved. The acoustics were unbearable, the place was filthy, and the restrooms were usually three inches deep with a water/urine cocktail. All in all, a really great place to catch a game.
Those are the great qualities that all the other buildings have been missing. The barn was the greatest, man I missed that building!!!

trublu16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 08:33 PM
General Veers

Walking out to the parking lot after a crazy game against the Hawks, I looked over to see a man laying motionless on the ground in a blood-soaked Roenick jersey. Upon closer inspection, I noticed ring prints all over his face. Quite a site for a 10 yr. old.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 09:17 PM
BluesDarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
What years did you visit the Arena?

Were those the years when Brett Hull went on a goal-scoring rampage"
Early 90s....so yeah, right in Hully's heyday.

BluesDarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
ChicagoBlues

Arena---Checkerdome---Arena

What a history?!!

My first game was at the old Arena. Went to many at the Checkerdome. Again at the new Arena.

It was not as narrow as the old Chicago Stadium, but very, very loud.

There was a tornado back in the 50s that tore off the roof. From what I am told, the volume level dramatically increased because the roof was significantly lowered.

I remember it was dirty, smelling like yeast and mustard. And it was very loud.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:26 AM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Yeah The Arena wasn't a great spectacle of architecture and cleanliness, but the atmosphere it created will never again be replicated in St. Louis. The crowd was much different then. There were many more middle class fans at the games. You know, the ones that couldn't sit for a second and couldn't wait to yell at a good or bad play. The corridors were very difficult to manuver, but rang of chants. Even the parking lot was fun to hangout in. The seating was much more verticle and closer to the ice. I would gladly trade a bunch of days at the Scottrade for one more at The Arena.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
concept*

I agree with other comments: the atmosphere hasn't been matched by any other arena I've been in. It was also fun to play in, although I'm sure the locker rooms were pretty shoddy (but to a then-7 year old it was awesome).

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
c-carp

Pretty much everything that can be said has been said. The Old Barn was a great place to watch a game and I still miss it at times.

c-carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 04:49 PM
lemieux32*

I went to many games at the old barn, played in a number of games and skated with the Blues as a kid...and everything said here is dead on.

lemieux32* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Bonsai

The only Blues game I attended there was the 2nd to the last game ever there. It was a playoff game against the Dallas Stars.

I did go there for a lot of concerts however.

And the St. Louis Steamers soccer team and other stuff like monster truck pulls, circus, etc...

Interesting to 'note' that the Chicago Blackhawks used to play "home" games there in the 1950's because they weren't selling good in Chicago.

Bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 08:30 AM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Ive seen some absolutely brutal crowd fights at the arena.

And the crazy part was stick night against the hawks, you know handing out sticks to the fans after a game like they were. Yikes.

I miss the smell of the arena.

I was there for the last game. I was there for hulls hat trick on hat night. I was there when belfour broke his stick on the goal.

I remember a guy with a megaphone, yelling at al macinnis then with clagary that he was washed up. That guy was funny because the players would actually hear him and look up, and he never got kicked out.

I saw a guy get kicked in the head running up th eupper bowl during a blackhawks game. And a beer poured on an ushers head. The hawks bus all spray painted.

I still have some of those life size measure up to posters with brian sutter and his son with milk cartons.

Like other posters said, that place rocked. I miss it alot. We should have a bronze replica out there with bernie and soon al and hull.

topshelf331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 09:12 AM
mmitchell19

I grew up in K.C., and at age 6-7, I was a Blackhawks fan. (gasp) What can I say...I liked Savard & Secord...I didn't know any better.

My dad and I came to STL for a Blues-'Hawks game, and I was all decked out in my 'Hawks gear. In the middle of the 2nd period, I went to the restroom (where have all the trough-style urinals gone?). As I started to do my business, two HUGE guys in Blues gear came in and stood uncomfortably close to me on either side. (In retrospect, they may not have actually been huge...but they were certainly intimidating for someone my age.)

I had never been so scared in my life as when they started talking to each other about me. "Looks like we got a Chicken Hawk fan here." "Yep...what do you think we ought to do with him?" Many comments about throwing me into the urinal, throwing me off the upper deck to the lower deck, etc. followed. Needless to say, I hightailed it out of that bathroom.

Good times.

The '88 All-Star game was also a fond memory...I still have a puck & t-shirt around the house somewhere.

mmitchell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Rush11

In addition, two things that I remember are 1) the two nuns that had season tickets in the 4th row in one of the corners and 2) the balcony overhang that could only see about two-thirds of the ice.

Rush11 is offline   Reply With Quote