HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

Atd#8 MINOR LEAGUE DRAFT

Old
01-16-2008, 11:39 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
OK, I like your explanation.

Now that I have a moment... Wilf Cude's career was relatively short, even by 1930's standards, but he did manage to lead the league in GAA and was the Vezina runner-up in 1934. He was also the Stanley Cup Finalist that year. In 1936 and 1937 Cude made the second all-star team. He was the only remaining goalie to be a two-time member of a postseason all-star team or two time vezina winner/runner up, so I'm fairly satisfied. There was already slim pickings left for goalies when this started, and now that's especially true!

Now, for our 2nd pick, we select D Bob Murray - steady Chicago Blackhawks mainstay, solid at both ends of the ice, two time ASG participant. 514 Career points, and 112 playoff games with 56 points.
My God... that's early, but that was also a guy we really wanted...

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:20 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
My God... that's early, but that was also a guy we really wanted...
Meh, what's early? it's the MLD. He was one of the top 10 highest scoring d-men left, and the only one of them who I'd consider "steady" in his own zone. What's 680th vs. 650th when you get the guy you want, right?

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Transplanted Caper

FYI: The clock on the next pick runs out at 5:36 Eastern as far as I can tell.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Diving Pokecheck*

the roadrunner select LW Henrik Zetterberg

Diving Pokecheck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 04:54 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper View Post
the roadrunner select LW Henrik Zetterberg
On the NHL all-rookie team (2003). Then he was 20th in league scoring two seasons ago, otherwise unaccomplished. If his career ended today he'd be easily forgotten.

136 goals, 298 points in 322 NHL games. No stanley cups. No individual awards. Never been top-10 in league scoring, just once cracked the top-20. Played four and a half seasons.

Yes, he had a good playoffs last year and a good first half of this season, but a great career that does not make.

It'd be real nice if he's put on the fourth line as a greenhorn, perhaps as backup option instead of starter on the top line. There are several wingers, even several left wingers, with more dominance, accomplishments and just as much touted talent, left to be drafted in an all-time context.

That said, he does count as the one active pro player for the time requirement, even if he's best drafted in like rounds 16 or so.

And this is an all-time draft, so 21st century performers should be honored as well.

Last edited by VanIslander: 01-16-2008 at 05:11 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
On the NHL all-rookie team (2003). Then he was 20th in league scoring two seasons ago, otherwise unaccomplished. If his career ended today he'd be easily forgotten.

136 goals, 298 points in 322 NHL games. No stanley cups. No individual awards. Never been top-10 in league scoring, just once cracked the top-20. Played four and a half seasons.

Yes, he had a good playoffs last year and a good first half of this season, but a great career that does not make.

It'd be real nice if he's put on the fourth line as a greenhorn, perhaps as backup option instead of starter on the top line. There are several wingers, even several left wingers, with more dominance, accomplishments and just as much touted talent, left to be drafted in an all-time context.

That said, he does count as the one active pro player for the time requirement, even if he's best drafted in like rounds 16 or so.

And this is an all-time draft, so 21st century performers should be honored as well.
He has an Olympic gold medal against the best players in the world as a second line center scoring 6 points in 8 games.

A gold, a silver, and 2 bronze medals from the IIHF World Championships.

His team has won their division all 4 years he's played in the NHL, 2 President's trophies (tied for a 3rd and well on their way to winning another). He's been a 1st line player on most of these, why should he not be a 1st line player in this draft?

Would he be forgotten if his career ended today? Perhaps, but just about every single player taken in this draft has been forgotten as well.

Spitfire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 01:00 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
He has an Olympic gold medal against the best players in the world as a second line center scoring 6 points in 8 games.
He was not top ten in tournament scoring, so the total isn't as lofty as it sounds. Plenty of scoring in that tourney. Nor was he on the tourney all-star team. He wasn't even one of the top-2 or 3 players on his team, though I grant he scored a goal in the close final.

Quote:
He's been a 1st line player on most of these, why should he not be a 1st line player in this draft?
Because there are first line players who have won stanley cups and been top-10 in league scoring, done a lot more even under as short a career.

Last edited by VanIslander: 01-17-2008 at 03:17 AM.
Old
01-17-2008, 05:43 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

3 hours left on the clock for Transplanted Caper & vancityluongo's Vancouver Giants

pm's sent

Old
01-17-2008, 07:12 AM
Transplanted Caper

The Vancouver Giants are pleased to select a former Art Ross winner and a player who held the record for most points in a season after tallying 82 in 1943-44.

LW. Herb Cain

Quote:
He was put on the negotiation list for the Canadiens, but they let the Maroons sign him in 1933. Coach T.P. Gorman formed the explosive Green Line (Cain, Bob Gracie, and Gus Marker) and the English Montrealers won the Stanley Cup in the spring of 1935.

In 1939, Cain was sent to Boston for Charlie Sands, and he became one of the most popular players in town. At the time, he became the 13th player to score 200 career goals and won the scoring championship with a then-record 82 points. In 1946, he began a career in the AHL, playing for Hershey and winning the Calder Cup. He later coached the Junior Smoke Rings in Ontario for five years, winning three provincial championships.

PM sent to the next GM's.

Old
01-17-2008, 07:49 AM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Conference player-of-the-year in college. First non-Finnish player to win OPTY in SM-Liga. He's been to the finals three times, and he's probably going back this year. Slick-skater, power-play monster, great all-around player.

The Edina Hornets are proud to select, from Dearborn, Michigan ...

D Brian Rafalski

Last edited by ck26: 01-19-2008 at 05:17 PM.
ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 08:02 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonking View Post
He's been to the finals three times
lol... has two Stanley Cups.

and in addition was phenomenal the one time his team made it to the finals but didn't win the cup ('01): recording 18 playoff pts, 2nd in postseason scoring among defensemen, one point behind Rob Blake, 7th in scoring among all skaters that playoffs as well as having an impressive +10.

Good pick.

Old
01-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Evil Speaker
Registered

vCash: 1575
The Cubs select Art Chapman (C) and Corb Denneny (RW)

Evil Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:25 AM
MXD

Ugggh.... yesterday's shutdown really screwed us to say the least...
Frustrating. No chance in hell we were to skip on Chapman.
I wasn't PM'ed by Agent Dale either (so could have given our pick to someone...). ADC made his pick around 6 PM, I come back roughly around this time. The website went down at this point, and never went up untill this early AM EST. That could have been arranged if I would have been PM'ed === could have sent the pick to some GM's.
Every pick should be voided... Seriously.

Well...he's my official complaint. Something should be down about this, as there was a clear violation of rules + a technical problem making the pick impossible. (I have to go to bed someday, and Jungosi was already there...), which = me and Jungosi being screwed when there was absolutely no fault.

Considering the said problems, the Cincinati Stingers selects
Center Art Chapman.

Last edited by MXD: 01-17-2008 at 10:28 AM.
Old
01-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Transplanted Caper

I have to agree with MXD here and at the very least suggest a suspension of the draft until this is sorted.

Old
01-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
He was not top ten in tournament scoring, so the total isn't as lofty as it sounds. Plenty of scoring in that tourney. Nor was he on the tourney all-star team. He wasn't even one of the top-2 or 3 players on his team, though I grant he scored a goal in the close final.
Still shouldn't discredit what he did. He was 3rd on the winning team in scoring and they don't win without him. It would be like taking Mario or Yzerman out of Team Canada in 2002.

Quote:
Because there are first line players who have won stanley cups and been top-10 in league scoring, done a lot more even under as short a career.
I guess it's all a matter of how you compare the eras. Lots of those guys had their moments during the war years and then quickly fell off into the minors, and winning a Stanley Cup in 190X sounds impressive but is hardly comparable to winning it in the NHL.

Old
01-17-2008, 10:03 AM
MXD

I gotta leave in roughly 40 minutes. Jungosi won't be around untill 1:30 PM EST (approx.) from what I was able to understand.

Old
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
God Bless Canada

This is the way I've always looked at the draft (even before I joined): the PM is a common courtesy, but it's incumbent on the GM to track the draft (who's been picked and where) and know when it's his turn to pick. In the last draft, I knew that as soon as mullin or the Inmate picked, (barring a trade, or depending on the round) that it was our turn to pick. Period. I didn't need the PM to tell me that. It's up to the GM to remember it's his turn.

Remember, first and foremost, that this is supposed to be a fun thing. I shake my head when GMs spend all this time trying to decide who to pick. There's no money involved, no trophy waiting at the end for the champion. It's just for fun.

We don't need a suspension of the draft. There's at least one or two centres out there who are on Chapman's level. Chapman's a heck of a player, especially in the minor league draft. He was No. 5 on Moose Jaw's wish list for our first two picks. But it's the minor league draft. It's not worth getting upset about.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 12:00 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
This is the way I've always looked at the draft (even before I joined): the PM is a common courtesy, but it's incumbent on the GM to track the draft (who's been picked and where) and know when it's his turn to pick. In the last draft, I knew that as soon as mullin or the Inmate picked, (barring a trade, or depending on the round) that it was our turn to pick. Period. I didn't need the PM to tell me that. It's up to the GM to remember it's his turn.

Remember, first and foremost, that this is supposed to be a fun thing. I shake my head when GMs spend all this time trying to decide who to pick. There's no money involved, no trophy waiting at the end for the champion. It's just for fun.

We don't need a suspension of the draft. There's at least one or two centres out there who are on Chapman's level. Chapman's a heck of a player, especially in the minor league draft. He was No. 5 on Moose Jaw's wish list for our first two picks. But it's the minor league draft. It's not worth getting upset about.
The site was down. There was no way I could get in, there was no way I could know we were on the clock (and it was midnight for Jungosi when it went down)
Indeed, the draft is supposed to be a fun thing. But you shouldn't get screwed in a fun thing... It indeed takes most of the fun out.

Old
01-17-2008, 12:25 PM
seventieslord

Bah! I wanted Herb Cain. I knew I wasn't going to get him, though.

Old
01-17-2008, 12:42 PM
raleh

Quote:
The Redmen of McGill are pleased to select the wingman of their top pivot, an ol' teammate of Dubbie Bowie's from a century ago:

Blair Russel

http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/...io&list=#photo
Absolutely GREAT pick Van.

raleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 12:53 PM
papershoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Bah! I wanted Herb Cain. I knew I wasn't going to get him, though.
I was also hoping I could land either Herb Cain or Corb Denneny in the third round.

Both are great picks and were sitting at the top of my draft list for my next pick. Now I need to re-evaluate...

papershoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
pitseleh

Bah, all of my favourites are going so quick (Roberts-Chapman-Denneny was my top line last time around).

I guess I'll actually have to pick some new players this time around.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Spitfire11

So whats the final call, are we going to wait for VanI to bring the gavel?

Lets get drafting again!

Old
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
Nalyd Psycho

I'm around all afternoon/night, so take your time, get it sorted. I need a minute anyway to know who I'm picking.

01-17-2008, 04:47 PM
seventieslord

i have to agree with MXD here. The site was down, there was nothing he could do. I checked all night last night, and also this morning, and couldn't get it. Couldn't see PM's either, so he'd have no way of knowing even if someone else managed to sneak in a pick and a PM while the site was down.