HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindy Ruff calls for Shanny suspension

Old
01-17-2008, 05:33 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Ruff is such a ****ing putz.

What's with the "intent to injure" crap?

It was reckless, though, and might warrant a suspension. But Ruff has to overdramatize as usual.

He's a good coach but rather annoying.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 07:06 AM
The Thomas J.*

Ruff couldn't give a specific update on MacArthur's status.

"Well, I don't know [how MacArthur is doing]," he said. "He could have a broken neck. He could have a broken shoulder. He could have a broken back. He could have a number of things.

I think Ruff was exaterating a tad bit.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Kind of a dumb play by Shanahan, but ehh...I don't know if it warrants a suspension. I was very surprised there wasn't a penalty called at the time though..maybe if there was, I would agree more for a suspension.
Agreeeed.

What was Lindy Ruff doing the last time we saw him? Oh right, whining throughout the entire playoffs til they won. I don't take a word of what comes out of that man's mouth seriously. Sitting there *****in and moaning waiting for the NHL to come down and do something isn't coaching.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 08:16 AM
Cruxial

Good for Shanny. He wasn't trying to hurt the kid, he was trying to prevent a goal. Besides, opposing players need to fear that they'll be punished for approaching our goal. None of our D seem to want to put anyone on their backs. It was good, veteran play by Shanahan.

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 08:22 AM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
No news is good news? He got up under his own power and didn't seem to hit his head anywhere, so he should be ok.
not the head I'd be worried about here. shoulder separations are caused by either 1) a fall onto an outstretched arm, or 2) a direct blow to the top of the shoulder. granted he looked to be ok, but we'll see how that shoulder feels today.

as far as ramifications for the hit, a crosscheck/push from behind into a goal post should be a major, but I'm not sure about a suspension. one game at most, if anything.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 08:47 AM
nyscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon15 View Post
not the head I'd be worried about here. shoulder separations are caused by either 1) a fall onto an outstretched arm, or 2) a direct blow to the top of the shoulder. granted he looked to be ok, but we'll see how that shoulder feels today.

as far as ramifications for the hit, a crosscheck/push from behind into a goal post should be a major, but I'm not sure about a suspension. one game at most, if anything.
I agree with you on this. At most, one game. It definately should've been a penalty in the game.

And as a slight aside, you cannot assume that because he got off on his own power he was okay. Kevin Colley got off on his own power in his last game after he had broken one of his vertebrae. HOPEFULLY, that is not the case here.

nyscene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 08:58 AM
comeonnow

Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
A Sabre fan here, should have been a penalty no suspension. Oh and somebody on our team should have cracked him in the mouth.

comeonnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
chip chipperson*

if the post wasn't there it wouldn't warrant a suspension just a minor. too bad for macarthur that it was. there are way more dirty hits out there than this. this shouldn't be a suspension.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:07 AM
94now

The league should better punish Shanahan. Otherwise Buffalo will take the matter in their hands and next game we would need to dress bunch of goons to protect Shanny who is getting brittle more and more.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Kaktus*

2 min MAX!!!! Thats all.. Ruff is a cry baby.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:22 AM
MountVancouver'94

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The league should better punish Shanahan. Otherwise Buffalo will take the matter in their hands and next game we would need to dress bunch of goons to protect Shanny who is getting brittle more and more.
Good. Players should be allowed to police the game again. The refs doing it ain't working out do well

MountVancouver'94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:24 AM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

Yeah, it looked like Shanny was going for a textbook takedown of a guy rushing the net, but he was going so fast and was so preoccupied with watching the puck that he accidently drove the dude into the post.

That said, it did look pretty painful and that was an ugly hit. I wouldn't complain if Shanny gets a game but it's not gonna happen.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:27 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
A Sabre fan here, should have been a penalty no suspension. Oh and somebody on our team should have cracked him in the mouth.
100% right, thanks for the honesty. It's hockey guys. If you've ever played you know that with 10 seconds left in a 1 goal game just about anything goes in front of the net. He didn't cross check him in the face or neck. If this league didn't turn soft with the rule changes, he prob wouldn't have even gone down as he would be use to it. Guys use to get killed in front of the net and oh by the way, Shanny has received far more cross checks in front of the net then he's given out. Ruff needs to grow a pair and get over it. Its a penalty, not attempted murder.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
I agree with this. Penalty worthy, not suspension worthy. I don't think there's any way that Shanahan intended for MacArthur to go into the post; there was no intent to injure, he just wanted to knock him down. Should have been a penalty, and that's it.

Ruff should stop running his mouth at this point. Saying things like "he could have a broken neck! Who knows!" is ridiculous. It's not like this was a blatant boarding attempt that piledrove someone's head into the boards from close range. I know Ruff is upset with his team losing and all of that, but he's making a joke of himself.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Synergy27

The thing that bothers me about all of this is that Shanny admitted that he was trying to knock him down into the net. The play on its own was very dangerous, but consciously trying to send someone into the net is stupid on a variety of levels:

1. The goal posts.
2. Injury to the goaltender.
3. The puck coming in, etc.

I think we can all agree that Shanny should have been penalized. The play was very dirty, bottom line, and to me his admission actually makes it worse. If he was just trying to take him down that's one thing, but purposefully trying to put someone into the net is not a good idea. It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:47 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkOnEStreet View Post
For the Rangers sake, a mandatory sit down might be the best thing for Shanny.
What?

What is this grade school?

That was a play that had to be made and you know what, thats why Shanny is on the ice and not some other softer players on this team because they would have let Mccarthur stand there and maybe bang home that rebound. Then everyone would be screaming about how the team lost one or two points because the backchecker or defenseman on him was too soft.

Was it a nasty hit? yes, suspension? maybe but prob not.

But desperate times call for desperate measures, and Shanny was doing what he had to do to get the two points for that last big play.

Ruff is doing his job protecting his players. It didnt look good, and it was dangerous - but so was losing 7 out of 8 for the Rangers.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:48 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I agree with this. Penalty worthy, not suspension worthy. I don't think there's any way that Shanahan intended for MacArthur to go into the post; there was no intent to injure, he just wanted to knock him down. Should have been a penalty, and that's it.

Ruff should stop running his mouth at this point. Saying things like "he could have a broken neck! Who knows!" is ridiculous. It's not like this was a blatant boarding attempt that piledrove someone's head into the boards from close range. I know Ruff is upset with his team losing and all of that, but he's making a joke of himself.
Amen to that, Levitate. He's spoken out against the hit and defended his player, as he should. But does anyone seriously think that he a) hasn't seen the hit and realized that you don't suffer a broken neck from hitting your shoulder/chest against the post and b) doesn't know the injury status of his own player?

Give us a break, Lindy. That's a pathetically blatant attempt to distract people from a 10-game losing streak.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:07 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
The only thing I'd be remotely worried about is Kaleta running someone through the boards. He would do that either way though. We don't have real goons.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:09 AM
VisionQuest*

Ruff isn't a crybaby. He's got to back up his guy. It was a wicked dangerous play, and for Shanny to even acknowledge that speaks volumes. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1game suspension, more because it would allow shanny to rest his knee one more game. ha.

VisionQuest* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:09 AM
Megaera

Quote:
I really don't think you have to worry about that with the Sabres.

Megaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Come on Lindy. You were no angel either when you played. 691 games played, 1264 PIM.

01-17-2008, 10:22 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Buffalo shouldn't have stood there like a group of ******* when it happened if the "team had such a problem with it."

It's SO easy to ***** about it after the fact, yet when it happens in the moment, the Sabres just hug the other team and slap butts with them. ****ing pathetic.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:26 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Ruff couldn't give a specific update on MacArthur's status.

"Well, I don't know [how MacArthur is doing]," he said. "He could have a broken neck. He could have a broken shoulder. He could have a broken back. He could have a number of things.

I think Ruff was exaterating a tad bit.
Ruff is extremely obnoxious. It's not surprising at all, IMO, what he said.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBud View Post
Buffalo shouldn't have stood there like a group of ******* when it happened if the "team had such a problem with it."

It's SO easy to ***** about it after the fact, yet when it happens in the moment, the Sabres just hug the other team and slap butts with them. ****ing pathetic.
I was thinking the same thing. The Rangers also do this, but it seems Buffalo is even more meek than the Rangers.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:38 AM
Mrpuck

It's a 2min penalty. Nothing more....
It's unfortunate he got hurt on the play, but the last 30 seconds of close games are always like this. It wasn't even the crosscheck that caused the damage, it was the post.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote