HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying a stick

Old
01-15-2008, 09:19 PM
jared37

vCash: 500
Buying a stick

im buying a new one piece hockey stick and i would like your advice on what to buy within the price range of about $100 to $150
i know thats not alot of money for a stick now days but im just wondering what u woould recomend in that price range

jared37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 09:33 PM
bmxer

How are the Warrior Royals?

bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2008, 10:32 PM
mmmjays

warrior royale is the lowest end warrior stick. I dont have any experience with using it. If you look on ebay, or any online hockey shop, you can find very very good stick for your price range.

www.hockeyoverstock.com has a ton of sticks/shafts. The discontinued models, some of which were top of the line in their release year, can be had at excellent prices. Have a look.

mmmjays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 09:14 AM
stick9

You can get a top end stick in that price range. It will be last years model, but still a quality stick. I've seen Easton CNT's and SL's in that price range as well as CCM Vector 10's, and some Bauer Vapor xxx-lites.

For a price point stick. Sher-woods RM9 is a great feeling stick, very well balanced.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Personally, I still like using my wood stick even after I got a composite one. I think you get more feel out of it, plus they're way cheaper.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 12:45 PM
spjon25

A couple of questions I have about sizing sticks and lies of the blade.
Is the stick supposed to come up to your nose or chin when you are on skates? Also, when I hold the stick down at my side like when I skate, I can never truly find a blade that is all on the ground at the same time. Usually the toe of the blade is rising up to a degree, some are worse than others. Any help would be appreciated

spjon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Henrique Iglesias
Doc & Chico Forever

Synergy SL

$120

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-synergysl110.html

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:16 PM
jdmef8vtec*

Go RBK ive got one of each from 4k to 7k play 3-4 times a week all year long, there getting pretty chipped up but havent broken an RBK stick yet, ive been lucky and found em all at Sport CHeck without paying more then $120 + tax on any of my sticks

jdmef8vtec* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 03:24 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by spjon25 View Post
A couple of questions I have about sizing sticks and lies of the blade.
Is the stick supposed to come up to your nose or chin when you are on skates? Also, when I hold the stick down at my side like when I skate, I can never truly find a blade that is all on the ground at the same time. Usually the toe of the blade is rising up to a degree, some are worse than others. Any help would be appreciated
length of the stick varies. the standard is up to your chin when you're on skates. But some forwards will go with a shorter stick for better puck handling. While defenseman will often go with a longer stick for better poke checking and such.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 04:35 PM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjays View Post
warrior royale is the lowest end warrior stick. I dont have any experience with using it. If you look on ebay, or any online hockey shop, you can find very very good stick for your price range.

www.hockeyoverstock.com has a ton of sticks/shafts. The discontinued models, some of which were top of the line in their release year, can be had at excellent prices. Have a look.
I've never bought anything online before so I was wondering what kind of taxes/duties I would have to spend on a pair of 9k white pumps? They are marked at a price of $330 and wouldn't mind getting them if the total cost was less than $450 including shipping, taxes and exchange.

PJ Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
mmmjays

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerf View Post
I've never bought anything online before so I was wondering what kind of taxes/duties I would have to spend on a pair of 9k white pumps? They are marked at a price of $330 and wouldn't mind getting them if the total cost was less than $450 including shipping, taxes and exchange.
At hockey overstock, i believe their shipping costs to canada (i assume you are from canada) is a flat rate of 15 dollars as far as i can remember. They ship VIA USPS (i believe they do) and USPS is very very very friendly when it comes to customs/brokerage fees. I have never been charged extra from them when people from the states send me stuff. So, buying from them shouldn't be a problem when it comes to extra fees. But i don't know about their customer service. Good luck.

Old
01-17-2008, 12:07 AM
sc37

vCash: 700
That is if they'll ship it out to you...some manufacturers won't allow goods to be moved across the border.

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:38 AM
mmmjays

Yeah....some manufacturers do not allow their products that are sold in american based online sites to be shipped to Canada. I believe RBK is not one of the brands from hockeyoverstock. Nike/Bauer is a no no from every hockey site i've ever been to.

Old
01-17-2008, 10:10 AM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjays View Post
Yeah....some manufacturers do not allow their products that are sold in american based online sites to be shipped to Canada. I believe RBK is not one of the brands from hockeyoverstock. Nike/Bauer is a no no from every hockey site i've ever been to.
So me getting these skates would all depend on whether or not RBK allows them to be shipped across the border? Is there any way I could find out which companies do ship to Canada? Or should I just look for a deal here?

PJ Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
mmmjays

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerf View Post
So me getting these skates would all depend on whether or not RBK allows them to be shipped across the border? Is there any way I could find out which companies do ship to Canada? Or should I just look for a deal here?
Im pretty sure RBK products are okay to be shipped to canada when u order from hockeyoverstock. Just go to their website and ask them. Some stores may have different limitations. for example, One website could not ship Easton products to canada, however another website was able to. kinda dumb.

Old
01-17-2008, 07:16 PM
XweekendwarriorX

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/tps-hkadrenalinesr.html

Best stick ever. i have a responce but the adrenaline is a great stick.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 03:33 PM
slapsh0t77

The ccm vector v10.0 catapult is an amazing stick and it is and it is below $150. I have both an 07 and an 08 model.
http://greatskate.com/webmodules/cat...=118&ManuID=78
^^08 model

^^07 model

slapsh0t77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2008, 03:04 AM
lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsh0t77 View Post
The ccm vector v10.0 catapult is an amazing stick and it is and it is below $150. I have both an 07 and an 08 model.
^^08 model

^^07 model
Careful, I hear they break like twigs. Apparently Ovechkin broke 7 or so in one game. Granted he is AO and torques the hell out of those sticks, but there's plenty of complaints.

Personally I would look into a Stealth CNT, XXX Lite, or even a pro stock Dolomite. (damn that rhymed!).

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 12:14 AM
mmmjays

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Careful, I hear they break like twigs. Apparently Ovechkin broke 7 or so in one game. Granted he is AO and torques the hell out of those sticks, but there's plenty of complaints.

Personally I would look into a Stealth CNT, XXX Lite, or even a pro stock Dolomite. (damn that rhymed!).
LOOOL.

Yeah I have heard the catapults have durability issues as well. I have a TPS adrenaline, and i'll back it up as I feel it is a great stick as well. I think everyone should give the dolomite a shot too. Great stick.

Old
01-26-2008, 03:40 AM
lotus

For me it's pretty much between the XXX-Lite and dolomite now, for the same reason. I hear the feel of the puck on the blade is incredible. However the XXX-Lite has a huuuuge advantage in the price catagory, so if I don't like it, it wouldn't be a huge disappointment.

Maybe the OP can take that into consideration too.

(Apparently the CNT is remarkably blade heavy, and that drives me nuts)

I'm going to have to hold them both in the store, then factor in the price. Warrior shaft = can try new blade patterns, xxx-lite = fairly inexpensive. Bah, enough of my problems.

lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
slapsh0t77

catapults

Yeah the '07 catapults were kinda fragile, i broke 2 of em in 2.5-3 months. But iv had the '08 for about a month and a half and there isnt chip in it. The '08 model is a lot better than the 07. It really is an amazing stick, and it only costs 150 bucks.

slapsh0t77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 05:30 PM
SUBdrewgANS
born into trouble

Send a message via AIM to SUBdrewgANS
ha.. the stick i use and have very good success is a $40 Easton stick from Dick's.. It's not to heavy and not to light.. I cannot play with a stick that is extremely light i need some weight to it. but thats just my preference.

SUBdrewgANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2008, 05:43 PM
Flyboy34

HockeyGiant, EPuck & HockeyOverstock are all the same...

hockeygiant.com/frydmdbkstksr.html
hockeyoverstock.com/frydmdbkstksr.html
epuck.com/frydmdbkstksr.html

Right now, the best deal on a high-end stick is the Easton Stealth CNT. HockeyMonkey has them for $139.98 (Grip) & $134.98 (Regualr). They only have a few right handed patterns left but this is an awesome stick.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-h...hcntgrpsr.html - $139.98
http://www.hockeymonkey.com/easton-hkstealthcntsr.html - $134.98

Flyboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 05:29 PM
JorgeRocks!

like the 08 ones with like the hollow heel, or one of the ones with tlike the team patterns and colors?

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2008, 05:30 PM
JorgeRocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsh0t77 View Post
Yeah the '07 catapults were kinda fragile, i broke 2 of em in 2.5-3 months. But iv had the '08 for about a month and a half and there isnt chip in it. The '08 model is a lot better than the 07. It really is an amazing stick, and it only costs 150 bucks.
You mean one of those 07's lasted you that long? By an 08 one you mean one with the hollow heel?

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote