HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lindy Ruff calls for Shanny suspension

Old
01-17-2008, 09:42 AM
RFAN

vCash: 500
Ugly hit and Shanny even admits it but that hockey. IMO it looked worse than it probably was, since the guy got up and skated off.

As for Ruff maybe him a Nolan should get a room.

RFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Chris 84

Typical of Ruff. Intent to injure??? Rubbish. No suspension for that, no way.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Suspension worthy...no, Penalty worthy...sure.

I Youtubed it though...

Shanny clears the Crease:

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Fletch

I'm siding with Shanny on this...

and he said all the right things regarding this. It should've been a penalty, but saying there was an intent to injure is a big assumption that's tough to back up.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
shady8277

no intention for injury. Nobody was suspended when straka blindsides and smashed his head into the boards, same here.

shady8277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
ThirdEye

I didn't like that Shanny did that

Suspension? I doubt it

This is not the first time Shanny did something stupid this season. He seriously needs to be more careful

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:07 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post

I Youtubed it though...

I was at the game, and that video looks a LOT worse than I initially thought. Shouldn't be a suspension, but was an obvious cross-check, and should have been a penalty.

I just think that Ruff should be focusing his efforts on yet another one-goal loss by a team who "has a roster capable of making the playoffs." No...we really don't.

edit: thanks for putting the vid up Loffen

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:25 AM
mooseOAK*

Lindy Ruff complaining about dirty play never fails to make me chuckle.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:27 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Shouldve been a 2 minute minor, luckily CM didn't hit his head/face on the post, at first I thought that was the case. No need for suspension, but the refs owe the Sabes an apology.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
Ruff isn't a crybaby. He's got to back up his guy. It was a wicked dangerous play, and for Shanny to even acknowledge that speaks volumes. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1game suspension, more because it would allow shanny to rest his knee one more game. ha.
It really wasn't a "wicked dangerous play". It wasn't even that ugly of a hit. The only reason we care is that he hit the goalpost, and there's no way Shanny meant to drive him specifically into the goalpost.

Guys get crosschecked worse than that all the time, and are often hurt worse than MacArthur was.

If he had crosschecked him like that when MacArthur was standing 5 feet from the boards or something, then yeah I'd say it was a dangerous hit. As it is, it was just an unlucky hit

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:43 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionQuest View Post
Ruff isn't a crybaby. He's got to back up his guy. It was a wicked dangerous play, and for Shanny to even acknowledge that speaks volumes. I wouldn't be opposed to a 1game suspension, more because it would allow shanny to rest his knee one more game. ha.
Maybe the players should stand up for one another. None of them came near Shanahan after the hit.

01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
MayDay

As a Sabres fan my opinion is that it definitely should have been a penalty, and I was shocked that one wasn't called.

But suspension? Nah, I don't think Shanahan really had an intent-to-injure. I think he was just trying to knock MacArthur down. But knocking someone down into the post really can (and sometimes does) cause serious injury, and it's not "whining" to point out it was a dangerous play.

But I'm glad to see most of you Ranger fans admit that it was a wicked dangerous play and a dumb move by Shanahan.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:45 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
But I'm glad to see most of you Ranger fans admit that it was a wicked dangerous play and a dumb move by Shanahan.
I don't think it was a dangerous play and I don't think it was a dumb play. Like Joe Micheletti said, rather take a penalty there than give up a scoring chance.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I don't think it was a dangerous play and I don't think it was a dumb play. Like Joe Micheletti said, rather take a penalty there than give up a scoring chance.
Any check from behind is dangerous, IMHO.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

No doubt, it should have been a penalty. Suspension? I don't think so. There was a shove that kind of cross-check occurs regularly. It just so happened that this time the player went down and had the momentum and trajectory which put his face into the post. I really don't think that Shanny was hoping to plant him into the post.

I wish players would stop this kind of play because most often they end up sending the player into their own goalie, potentially injuring one of their teammates, not a smart idea.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:12 AM
MayDay

Quote:
I don't think it was a dangerous play
Come on, even Shanahan admitted it was a dangerous play, and he was relieved that MacArthur wasn't hurt on the play.

I'm not trying to stir anything up. Like I said, I don't agree with Ruff that there should be a suspension. But I do think it was a somewhat dangerous play and there definitely should have been a penalty, and even Shanahan himself agreed with that assessment.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:18 AM
shady8277

it may have been just me but anyone else see anything wrong with the hit mair i think threw on tyutin at the end of the 2nd? the horn sounded and tyutin stopped and tipped the puck foward, THEN got hit. Finishing his check yes, but a dirty play that could have been avoided?

shady8277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Penalty? Sure, a minor. Suspension? No way.

01-17-2008, 11:27 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
i dont think its worthy of a suspension, with that said, if he got 1 game, i wouldnt whine, its an acceptable amount of games considering the danger of the play.
at most i can see shanny being fined and a game, that is all. since its the rangers watch shanny get 4 games. If it was Avery or Hollweg they would get 10

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:07 PM
comeonnow

Send a message via Yahoo to comeonnow
Quote:
Of course it was a dangerous play, penalty no suspension. Also I'm kind of sure that Paetsch tried to get at Avery and Avery would'nt go. Someone told me that there is something wrong with Avery's hands and he won't fight, any truth to that?

comeonnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Is Avery View Post
It's tough to disagree here.. Shanny's hit on Mcarthur into the goal post with 9 seconds left was really nasty, and Shanny also has had delivered pretty dangerous cross checks several times in recent memory..

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...-be-suspended/

Video here: http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?serv...ticleid=350241
yah, like shanny would PURPOSELY cross check someone into the net (or post in this case) when were up by a goal with 9 sec left. I'm sure he meant to hit him, but not like that. Maybe malik should take notes on how to defend

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:12 PM
TrueBlue9

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonnow View Post
Of course it was a dangerous play, penalty no suspension. Also I'm kind of sure that Paetsch tried to get at Avery and Avery would'nt go. Someone told me that there is something wrong with Avery's hands and he won't fight, any truth to that?
Quote:
But can he be play his on-the-edge game while remaining healthy? The answer so far, with three significant injuries already this season, has been no. Avery said yesterday the one concession he would make to his wrist is he would try to avoid fighting. But in the same sentence, he also acknowledged he canít always contain himself.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/0...gainst-sabres/

TrueBlue9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
nyrcallahan24
nomvegannom

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFFeN View Post

I Youtubed it though...

Thats what happens when you try to beat shanny to the net. be afraid, be very afraid

nyrcallahan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
clmetsfan

Here's Shanahan's response when told about Lindy Ruff's comments (via Sam's blog)

Quote:
“I’ve got no problem with Limdy Ruff saying it was careless and reckless. I felt bad about that,” he said. “But Lindy saying that it was an intent to injure is careless and reckless on Lindy’s part. I know he wants to protect his players, but I think he should know me by now. He played against me. He’s coached against me for a number of years. So while it was careless and reckless, him throwing it out that it was an intent to injure was a stupid remark.”
Well said. Couldn't agree more.

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 02:29 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Here's Shanahan's response when told about Lindy Ruff's comments (via Sam's blog)

Well said. Couldn't agree more.
Yep. Totally agree. Shanny didn't want to hurt the guy, what guy does Shanny ever want to hurt? (except Brashear)

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote