HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who's Our Captain on Defense?

Old
01-16-2008, 12:28 AM
jake1970*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mergnemi View Post
i will be thrilled when mara's gone. some people i know like him in here but to me, he can't EVER hit the net with his shot, he always seems to hit the back board short side, and he takes inopportune penalties like last night for example. whenever he and struds are paired together i hold my breath because both of them always put their arms around players along the boards and most of the time they get caught with holding penalties it just drives me nuts. plus he's not fast so for 3 million a year see ya
And Staal, Tyutin and Girardi have great shot's right? Mara is the 2nd best Dman behind Rozy - period. Wake up!

jake1970* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 03:25 AM
Prospalous

i just cant comprehend how some of you think Rosy is a good defenseman, let alone Mara Jake. Roszival takes too many retarded penalties, lets by too many breakaways, and he just GIVES PUCKS AWAY. And anyone on the team has a better shot on net than Mara. I can't comprehend how anyone could say what you just said Jake. Did any of you see him at the Penguins game?

Some of you are too focused on stats, who the hell cares if Girardi is -11. He plays against teams 1st lines, it's bound to happen. Girardi / Tyutin duo was amazing, Girardi / Staal is only better.

Prospalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 05:03 AM
shon

we do need a top d man who will mentor our young d. right now Girardi (an undrafted player in his first year in the NHL ) is the mentor. He knows how to play d. He has great hockey sense. but he needs to be mentored by a seasoned d man. He is not the super human d man that he played like last year. I think the team d has slipped a bit making our d man more noticable. I do agree Girardi has made a few more uncharacteristic mistakes but if you are at the games watch the whole play.It is not always the d 's fault. you just see them on the highlights more.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by shon View Post
yes it was his fault when Toots tipped it in.......I agree he has had his moments. but anyone that knows anything about d knows he is better than his plus minus shows.
Well we cant blame all those minuses on Toots. Same way we cant blame them all on Girardi. However I have seen plenty of mistakes by Girardi, accruing minuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Banshee View Post
But by that rationale, Malik is Lindstrom!!
Well, he COULD just be a lucky charm

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 10:04 AM
Mrpuck

The closest thing to a captain we have on D is Struds. Which is really saying something considering he's our 6/7th D man and doesn't even play every night.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Banshee View Post
But by that rationale, Malik is Lindstrom!!
maybe sather can still convince those gms that his +- aint a fluke even on Vancouver he had a good +- but was paired with Jovo. Maybe that is why Sather wants Jovo

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirardiMyBoy5 View Post
Anyways, aside for mine, and along with many other fans hatred for Roszival, I'd have to nominate Staal / Girardi as D leaders as a team. I think it would be better for them to lead as a team since they are relatively young. They're the best D combo on the ice aside from Girardi / Tyutin.
I'm no big Rosival fan but there surely aren't too many fans in NYR who hate him? He's done a good job for us.
As for having a go at him for his play and therefore deciding that he isn't a leader and then nominating Girardi as the best leader . Girardi's been really poor lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Tyutin is the only person on D who I think has been consistent all year.
Staal is having his rookie ups and downs. He has been solid for most of the year though.
Malik hasn't played tooo badly he has his 1 glaring mistake a game but other than that is decent.
Rosy isn't playing well right now.
Girardi hasn't played well since November.
Struds is ok in small doses.
Mara has also played decent and goes through ups and downs the entire year.
Pretty good summing up of our d

Quote:
Some of you are too focused on stats, who the hell cares if Girardi is -11. He plays against teams 1st lines, it's bound to happen. Girardi / Tyutin duo was amazing, Girardi / Staal is only better.
Stats don't tell the whole story but are very useful. If you have a good plus minus the likelihood is that you're having a good season, if you don't, then you're probably not.

Lidstrom plays against the opposition top lines too, he's +35 and a career +/- of + 373. Clearly that tells you something.
Malik's had his fair share of ice-time against the opposition's top lines over the years, he has a career +129 (incidentally he's our joint best d-man this year for +/- again).
It's not bound to happen. It doesn't mean that it's all Girardi's fault. Lundqvist's been poor recently, our attack is having a bad year and of course not all goals when he's out can be attributed to Girardi BUT it does suggest that he's not doing great.

Chris 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Prospalous

well if stats are a good indicator of how well a player is doing during the season, then why does everyone hate Malik so much when last year he had a +/- of 32?

Old
01-16-2008, 02:09 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
well if stats are a good indicator of how well a player is doing during the season, then why does everyone hate Malik so much when last year he had a +/- of 32?
Nobody takes +/- seriously anymore. Girardi has simply played bad hockey since the 15-20 game mark. We saw Girardi and Tyutin play as well as to be our first pairing during the first 20 games, coincidentally this also happened to be the time when Lundqvist was playing like a brick wall...

There's no question about Girardi's play being on the decline for the last 20-25 games or so.... without regarding +/-.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Prospalous

well only reason I point out the +/- is because a couple of people jumped on me about it. I agree +/- doesn't mean much. I also agree that Girardi's play hasn't been up to par with his skill level, but it certainly isn't the worst on the team.

Old
01-16-2008, 02:21 PM
segmentation fault

When it comes to defenseman, a minus says alot. Thats a goal that, as a defenseman, you should have prevented.

segmentation fault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Our captain on defense is our best defensive player, and that is Henrik Lundqvist.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
When it comes to defenseman, a minus says alot. Thats a goal that, as a defenseman, you should have prevented.
I agree somewhat, but at the same time that's a huge over simplification and a good example of why stats don't always tell you everything. Is it the defensemen's fault when Lundqvist gives up a goal from behind his own goal line? What about when the forwards get caught in deep and the opposition scores on the resulting odd man rush? +/- may be a good general indication of how good a defenseman is, but IMO it is just like any other stat - only a small piece of the puzzle that is an individual player's performance.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 05:19 PM
WheresBarnaby

Who's our captain period?

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Oh and for the record, I really think we currently lack a strong defensive leader. IMO Staal and Girardi have the most potential to be our leaders in the future. Some may question my inclusion of Girardi, but if he can continue to develop (especially his skating) and be more consistent in his play he will be a perfect fit because he is already such a natural leader. He communicates as much as anyone on the back end, constantly pointing and yelling to his teammates. Girardi's head is certainly there, and if the rest of his game matures he could make for an excellent defensive leader.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
I like him though

Chris 84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 01:12 PM
shon

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
so if the forwards don't back check and the d are there themselves is it still their fault. they can only cover one player at a time.
another note. on a team that doesn't score many goals it is hard to get a plus especially of you are out with a checking line shutting down the other teams top line.
there are so many variables.

shon is offline   Reply With Quote