HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lindy Ruff calls for Shanny suspension

Old
01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
I was going to post my thoughts, but Shanny just nailed it.

I think it should be a suspension.

Old
01-17-2008, 04:10 PM
WheresBarnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jediprakNYR View Post
I think he should be suspended for the hit. He should take a day off anyways.
That was his first night back.

I too disagree with a suspension. He was trying to knock him away from the crease. Shanahan's not the type to try andinjure a player, unless he's dropping the gloves maybe.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 04:18 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I don't think Shanny meant to injure the guy, but it was still a very reckless play. I'm not sure that it's suspension-worthy, but if one was dished out I also certainly would not be up in arms.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFAN View Post
Ugly hit and Shanny even admits it but that hockey. IMO it looked worse than it probably was, since the guy got up and skated off.

As for Ruff maybe him a Nolan should get a room.
It should of been a penalty but no suspension. If anything 1 game but your "thats hockey" part. That was hockey but not anymore with the new NHL..any little thing can or will get you in trouble. That play can be viewed from two sides. One side saying it was merely a penalty or the other side saying it was careless and Shanny saying he wanted to push him in the net (which is dangerous) could result in a suspension..

It was late in the game and your team was trying to hold on but him hitting his head on the post was just accident. Shanny did not think, well let me make sure he hits the post. Ruff is just trying to take media away from Buffalo's recent performance being 0-5-5 in the last 10 games.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 04:29 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
No word yet on if Shanny got a fine or anything?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
As everyone else said, worthy of a penalty, not a suspension. It was a crosscheck from behind, but that fact that he hit his head on the post was a complete accident. Now if he pulled a super-man flying elbow then sure it's an intent to injure.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 05:54 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Another foot to the left and this wouldn't even be an issue. Shanny could have done much worse, but I think the speed of the play and the positioning just led to an unfortunate result. Should've been a penalty, but nothing more.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 07:32 PM
NYR27

i completely agree

i wrote about this on my blog today (would love some new reader, pm me for a link if you would like) but honestly - Lindy Ruff was a chippy player himself back in the day and laid much more viscious hits than that to no suspension. Dude needs to shut up

NYR27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 07:42 PM
gaglinefan

Shanny

Like some of you I was at the game last night. Shanny couldn't skate at all, he lumbered all evening. The check was nasty but did not look like an attempt to hurt the guy; there was a scramble out front and he cleared the area with a rough check. I believe he received a penalty at 20:00 of the third. At least we won without playing our best. Those odd man rushes against us are scary. Why Jags has to hook every guy who goes around him doesn't really work well, maybe we can come up with another play.

gaglinefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 08:09 PM
Balej20*

Absolutely not worthy of a suspension. Penalty yes. Suspension, no way.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
Absolutely not worthy of a suspension. Penalty yes. Suspension, no way.
Damn, where ya been?! Long time!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:09 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
No word yet on if Shanny got a fine or anything?
It's being reviewed.

Quote:
Glen Sather has already been contacted by Colin Campbell about Brendan Shanahan’s hit last night. The league is reviewing it, so expect a decision one way or the other at some point today. Bear in mind it could just be a fine and not a suspension.
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:34 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
“The puck used to follow me around to my stick. Now it follows me to my foot,” the Captain said. “I should be a soccer player.”
That's JAGR...

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:31 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Suspension? No. Penalty? Yes. Please, watch the video, there was no intent to injure. The only intent was to do what EVERY hockey player should do, hit the guy in front of the net when the puck is there and time is almost up. What else should Shanny have done, NOT hit him and let him get a possible rebound? He did what he was supposed to and he should be punished for what the refs missed. Shanny made the hit (Albeit he might have hit him too hard, I'm sure it had something to do with having the lead with Buffalo attacking with under 10 seconds left), and most likely expected a penalty when he did it, but he would rather save a goal than not take a penalty. Miscue on the hit, definitely a penalty, but a suspension? C'mon, look at the situation he's in, look at the history of the teams (7.7), and even look at Shanny as a player, he's no goon.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The slightest semblance of physical play and there are talks of suspension and intent to injure. Geez, it would be tough for Messier, C Lemieux, Dale Hunter, Scott Stevens, et al to play these days.

01-18-2008, 11:54 AM
E_Godard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Should have been a minor or major (since it was checking/crosschecking from behind into a goalpost).....but since the league apparently takes the injury into consideration....he shouldnt get any sort of suspension since the guy he hit is fine. But if he gets a game..I won't be suprised and to be frank...its probably warranted.
I thought the league doesnt take the injury into consideration?

E_Godard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
hockeygoon15

For those of you who think this should have been a minor penalty:

Quote:
44.1 Checking from Behind A check from behind is a check delivered on a player who is not aware of the impending hit, therefore unable to protect or defend himself, and contact is made on the back part of the body. When a player intentionally turns his body to create contact with his back, no penalty shall be assessed.

44.2 Minor Penalty - There is no provision for a minor penalty for checking from behind.

44.3 Major Penalty Any player or goalkeeper who cross-checks, pushes or charges from behind an opponent who is unable to protect or defend himself, shall be assessed a major penalty. This penalty applies anywhere on the playing surface (see 44.5).

44.4 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player or goalkeeper attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by checking from behind.

44.5 Game Misconduct A game misconduct penalty must be assessed anytime a major penalty is applied for checking from behind.

44.6 Fines and Suspensions - Any player or goalkeeper who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under Rule 42 and/or Rule 44, in either the Regular season or Play-offs, shall be suspended automatically for the next game of his team. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

If deemed appropriate, supplementary discipline can be applied by
the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 29).
Reading that, I can see why the ref wouldn't want to make that call. Once you do, there really isn't any discretion as to the penalty imposed to the player. Still, the call should have been made. Sending someone head first into the goal frame is just as dangerous as sending them head first into the boards.

I don't see why this isn't enforced more. Having received many 2 + 10 penalties for checking from behind while playing as a kid, I can assure you that they err on the side of caution while teaching kids the game, but is seems that this is forgotten rule in the pros.

hockeygoon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Bury Your Head

Pwned!

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 12:57 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR27 View Post
i completely agree

i wrote about this on my blog today (would love some new reader, pm me for a link if you would like) but honestly - Lindy Ruff was a chippy player himself back in the day and laid much more viscious hits than that to no suspension. Dude needs to shut up
absolutely agree......he always does this and always cries but if one of his players do anything it is all ok.....he always cries.....and i go to school in buffalo so i hear about it all the time......but thats why sabres fans love him.....he is passionate

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The slightest semblance of physical play and there are talks of suspension and intent to injure. Geez, it would be tough for Messier, C Lemieux, Dale Hunter, Scott Stevens, et al to play these days.
Stevens would've gotten 10 games for the Lindros hit if it was like this back then.

A suspension for this? You gotta be kidding. A minor at the most.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
MTK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post

Dale Hunter should be left out of those names. He clearly had some intent to injure a couple times.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:06 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod50 View Post
Stevens would've gotten 10 games for the Lindros hit if it was like this back then.

A suspension for this? You gotta be kidding. A minor at the most.
Another case of the pussification of hockey. Unreal.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:15 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Did Lindy Ruff notice that Pominville was all open for a pass to tie the game? did he forget that you are supposed to win games? No suspension....i mean this is HOCKEY!

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Did Lindy Ruff notice that Pominville was all open for a pass to tie the game? did he forget that you are supposed to win games? No suspension....i mean this is HOCKEY!
so if he stabbed with his skate, that would have been ok because it prevented a scoring chance?

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2008, 04:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
No suspension ever for this.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote