HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you guys like Gomez?

Old
01-16-2008, 12:01 AM
ruckus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature's Minister View Post
I really don't think you understand Madden's role on the Devils. Hint: any offense, especially since he is paired most often with Pandolfo, is a bonus. He is a shut down defensive center through and through, and one of the very best at his job in the league.

A better comparison would be Elias, who is, admittedly, underperforming. But he is also signed for less and has been consistently better than Gomez (who, more than likely, is overachieving) in every facet of the game. Even playing with Jagr, I doubt Gomez will put up the numbers Elias did while playing with Arnott and Sykora.

Also, being on pace to be 24th in sv% hardly qualifies a goalie as a potential franchise player. The Rangers will probably give Lundqvist 7 million a year, or close to it, but it's not like he has exactly earned it.
Elias is a better example. But his cap hit is a mere 1 million less than Gomez's. And we're not talking about the past. When will Devils fans get over this. THIS YEAR, the year he's getting paid 10 million by us and has a 7 million dollar cap hit, he's got 42 points as opposed to Elias' 25. I'll take that. And you can't say Madden's offense is irrelevant when he gets top 6 minutes. Those players need to score. So his offense matters. And earlier this year he was excelling there.

Lundqvist's gold medal and Vezina finalists the first two years of his career must have slipped your mind. Was Brodeur not earning his contract when your team struggled early in the season? Give me a break.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2008, 01:00 AM
Nature's Minister

You tell me that only this year matters and we must forget the past, but you go on to say that I must keep in mind how Lundqvist performed in years prior?

This year, Henrik is a bad goaltender. Bottom 1/3 of the league bad. Minnesota has two goaltenders that have performed better than he has bad. Years prior, he was good.

This year, Gomez is a great player. He has basically carried the Rangers' offense. Years prior, he was inconsistent.

Elias has been a disappointment this season. He's had a pretty nice streak going lately, but it would be hard for him to overcome his slow start and have a higher points total than Gomez at the end of the season. Every single year prior, he has been a better player than Gomez.

And given how the Devils play hockey, John Madden is earning every penny of his paycheck.

Does that about sum things up?

Nature's Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Blackjack

Honestly, someone should just take this to the poll board and ask which player, and which contract people would rather have. Lou made his decision. (Sather did too, when he tried to sign Elias first, Gomez was the consolation prize.)

Comparing a player who's having a career year to one who is having his worst season ever is pretty pathetic.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:00 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
Honestly, someone should just take this to the poll board and ask which player, and which contract people would rather have. Lou made his decision. (Sather did too, when he tried to sign Elias first, Gomez was the consolation prize.)

Comparing a player who's having a career year to one who is having his worst season ever is pretty pathetic.
What does Parise or Elias have anything to do with this? The question was "Are RANGER fans happy with Gomez?" Parise does not enter into it. You can't compare contracts. So what are you really trying to achieve/prove/say here?

01-17-2008, 09:02 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What does Parise or Elias have anything to do with this? The question was "Are RANGER fans happy with Gomez?" Parise does not enter into it. You can't compare contracts. So what are you really trying to achieve/prove/say here?
He's trying to say that Ranger fans got a ****** player in Gomez and they overpaid him and we're stupid and his team is great and wonderful because he has a goaltender who screws other people wives and he has a star player that has similar points to Gomez with a lot less money on his contract, so therefore, he is better.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post

How is it pathetic? Both have relatively new, large contracts. It's actually a great comparison. The only reason it's pathetic to you is because Elias is a beloved Devil. Don't act like that's not the reason you feel the comparison is bad, either.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:07 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
How is it pathetic? Both have relatively new, large contracts. It's actually a great comparison. The only reason it's pathetic to you is because Elias is a beloved Devil. Don't act like that's not the reason you feel the comparison is bad, either.
Parise is not a great comparison. Let Parise go out on the FA market and be one of two or three legit top line centers and then let's talk about comparisons. Until Parise has other teams bidding on his services the arguement is nothing short of bunk.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Parise is not a great comparison. Let Parise go out on the FA market and be one of two or three legit top line centers and then let's talk about comparisons. Until Parise has other teams bidding on his services the arguement is nothing short of bunk.
Isn't he talking about the Gomez/Elias comparison? Parise isn't having a bad season at all -- not by a long shot.

Old
01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Isn't he talking about the Gomez/Elias comparison? Parise isn't having a bad season at all -- not by a long shot.
I really have no idea what they are talking about. But if you want to do a true comparison, you need to look at contracts that UFAs in the same summer get.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 09:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I really have no idea what they are talking about. But if you want to do a true comparison, you need to look at contracts that UFAs in the same summer get.
They are only 1M off money wise. Perfect comparison, IMHO. Both current/former Devils as well.

Old
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
ThirdEye

I don't even know why some of you bother with Devils posters anymore.

From what I've seen, if one them comes to our boards its usually to boast about how Brodeur is the bestest goalie ever or talk about their precious cups (which honestly no one but them gives a rats ass about).

I seriously don't remember the last time a Devils fan came over here and actually posted something objective. Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but whatever

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
I was referring to Elias, and I didn't bring either player into this thread.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote