HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

best way to get your legs back?

Old
01-19-2008, 09:37 AM
bottleCAPS

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
best way to get your legs back?

hey guys, i normally don't post on here but i had a question so i figured i would. i play beer league rec hockey and we normally play 2 games a week. late in december i caught mono and won't be able to skate until late JAN/ early FEB. when the doctor clears me for physical activity what are some things i can do so that i have my legs back for my first skate? i lost like 10 pounds when i was sick so my stamina will probably be pretty low too, is there anything else i can do to make sure i'm not as winded? i have a treadmill at my place but i was thinking maybe running suicides as well... thoughts?

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 09:44 AM
PJ Wiggum

Send a message via MSN to PJ Wiggum
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleCAPS View Post
hey guys, i normally don't post on here but i had a question so i figured i would. i play beer league rec hockey and we normally play 2 games a week. late in december i caught mono and won't be able to skate until late JAN/ early FEB. when the doctor clears me for physical activity what are some things i can do so that i have my legs back for my first skate? i lost like 10 pounds when i was sick so my stamina will probably be pretty low too, is there anything else i can do to make sure i'm not as winded? i have a treadmill at my place but i was thinking maybe running suicides as well... thoughts?
ONe thing I noticed when playing hockey is that after a long time off like the off-season or something was that my legs would be in much better shaoe if a played other sports like soccer. So pretty much your best bet would be to be physically active along the lines of jogging on your treadmill to build up your wind, then doing quick sprint of about 100-200m to build leg strength. If possible playing some tennis would definatly help get you legs in shape too or raquetball/ any other similar sport because of the quick motions done when playing.

PJ Wiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:01 AM
StrykerB

Racquetball and soccer are great but I think he's saying that he needs to do some sort of exercise to do in his home because of the mono.

If you got a stationary bike, that's definitely a good start. If not, I cycled between deep knee bends and running in place until I could not do anymore. This always worked for me in hockey as well as competition mogul skiing when I didn't have a gym to go to or the weather wouldn't allow.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:24 AM
speedway

Walking lunges,one-legged squats and maybe a slide board if you can get one.If you have a basement with enough space, cone hops and agility drills (you can make a "ladder" with tape.

speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:41 AM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
thanks for the input guys i'm definitley gonna try some long distance running with quick sprints, deep thigh bends and some lunges and squats, hopefully that will have me ready to hit the ice again.

Old
01-19-2008, 11:43 AM
SilverSeven

Make sure you dont overexert yourself. Its not only contact that is dangerous to rupturing your spleen. Mono is the suck big time.

I had it 4 years ago, and I still feel effects of it. Youre lucky if its only sidelined you for that long.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:58 AM
bottleCAPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
Make sure you dont overexert yourself. Its not only contact that is dangerous to rupturing your spleen. Mono is the suck big time.

I had it 4 years ago, and I still feel effects of it. Youre lucky if its only sidelined you for that long.
yeah that's one definite area of concern the doctor told me to be careful but not to be overly worried once i do get clearance. i too am surprised at how quickly i got better, but i don't think it got as severe as it could have, my glands were swollen but i only had tonsil swelling on my left side as well as a partial ear infection so i really lucked out in that case.

Old
01-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:

Just curious, what effects do you still feel today from it?

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
bottleCAPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
nothing. the only thing that is i still feel fatigued now and again but it's not very frequent.

Old
01-19-2008, 12:15 PM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
Mono never leaves you unfortunately.

If I am stressed I can really feel it. Its a different kind of tired that only Mono gives you.

I can also get the same thing if I am not on the best sleep schedule, or if I am really going for a few days. It has gotten better with time though.

My mono was really horrible. I felt no symptoms until I collapsed on the ice one day from an unbelievable pain in my side. Went to the doctor...Mono (and literally one week before my grad trip to Cancun....so glad I bought cancellation insurance).

I was downed for over 2 months.

And I rarely ever get sick. The last time I was sick was over 4 years ago when I had Mono. Before that was 2 years earlier when I had strep.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:45 PM
bottleCAPS

Quote:

If I am stressed I can really feel it. Its a different kind of tired that only Mono gives you.

I can also get the same thing if I am not on the best sleep schedule, or if I am really going for a few days. It has gotten better with time though.

My mono was really horrible. I felt no symptoms until I collapsed on the ice one day from an unbelievable pain in my side. Went to the doctor...Mono (and literally one week before my grad trip to Cancun....so glad I bought cancellation insurance).

And I rarely ever get sick. The last time I was sick was over 4 years ago when I had Mono. Before that was 2 years earlier when I had strep.

for me i had been feeling sluggish for a few days and was having pain when i swallowed, i played hockey one night not knowing the severity of my illness and the next morning i felt awful, my glands were huge and swallowing was an accute pain in my throat and ear so i finally went to the doctor and he diagnosed me. had i continued on and let the symptoms persist i could have been in the same boat as you were.

Old
01-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:

My friend has it right now. Shes over the worst of it but now she just constantly sleeps....all day and all night. I think she's had it for about a month.

I'm actually very lucky I didn't get it from her, lucky enough to get tonsilitus though

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote