HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

McGillis "performance"

Closed Thread

Old
04-12-2004, 10:54 PM
komisakick ass

vCash: 500
McGillis "performance"

Dan have clearly attack the Begin's legs at the end of the game.
No penality, no suspension

this is an embarrassment to the game

Old
04-12-2004, 10:56 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Hopefully Begin is ready to play soon......I also thought it was a cheap play by McGillis, but for some reason I am not surprised that it was a Boston player who did it

Old
04-12-2004, 11:05 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Please, we don't need this "bouhouhou" from you in answer for the Ribeiro thread. Let's move on to Game 4 guys. This is making Hab fans a bad reputation.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:07 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Hopefully the habs win game 4 and the series

Old
04-12-2004, 11:14 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Hopefully

Old
04-12-2004, 11:26 PM
mmmBeer

McGillis dropped to the ice because he seperated his shoulder.

Oh, wait, I mean because he pinched a nerve.

Er, um, because he couldn't feel his neck?

Only McGillis knows why he fell to the ice.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:30 PM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyF
Please, we don't need this "bouhouhou" from you in answer for the Ribeiro thread. Let's move on to Game 4 guys. This is making Hab fans a bad reputation.
This piss me off,
Bruins fans and player(with execption) are cheap.
Ribeiro have hurth nobody, he have just try to provoc a penality, everyone do this.
Mcgillis have try, with succes, to hurth one of our more important player in the playoff and you think it's nothing.
you probably have nice haircut!

Old
04-12-2004, 11:32 PM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBruin

Mcgillis is an assO

Old
04-12-2004, 11:35 PM
mmmBeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by komisakick ass

Mcgillis is an assO
But he has a nice haircut. .

Old
04-12-2004, 11:35 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:

Mcgillis is an assO
i like your avator man

Old
04-12-2004, 11:40 PM
komisakick ass

Quote:
But he has a nice haircut. .
Like a guy name Kerry

Old
04-12-2004, 11:43 PM
amazingcrwns

McGillis had no stick and dropped to the ice in order to force the puck out of the zone. He was successful in doing so and was able to get to the bench in order to get a new stick or a line change (can't recall which one). It's getting to be a problem if you're upset with players sacraficing their body to try to move the puck across the blue line. I suppose it's cheap if a player dives out towards a player in an attempt to block a shot from the point. I have no problem with Riberio going down with an injury and needing help from the trainer. I do have a problem with him taunting the Bruins after he got off the ice. Everybody picks up their game for the playoffs and people are going to do everything they can to try to make it to the second round. I don't think McGillis did anything wrong, but if he got up and laughed at Begin on the bench then I would have a problem with it. Players get hurt all the time in hockey, most of the time it's not because somebody did anything all that bad. Sometimes it's a penalty, and in rare occasion it warrents further discipline from the league. I'm very sorry that Begin got hurt, ideally nobody would get hurt but it happens and when it does you don't have to automatically call for someone to get suspended.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:47 PM
komisakick ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazingcrwns
McGillis had no stick and dropped to the ice in order to force the puck out of the zone. He was successful in doing so and was able to get to the bench in order to get a new stick or a line change (can't recall which one). It's getting to be a problem if you're upset with players sacraficing their body to try to move the puck across the blue line. I suppose it's cheap if a player dives out towards a player in an attempt to block a shot from the point. I have no problem with Riberio going down with an injury and needing help from the trainer. I do have a problem with him taunting the Bruins after he got off the ice. Everybody picks up their game for the playoffs and people are going to do everything they can to try to make it to the second round. I don't think McGillis did anything wrong, but if he got up and laughed at Begin on the bench then I would have a problem with it. Players get hurt all the time in hockey, most of the time it's not because somebody did anything all that bad. Sometimes it's a penalty, and in rare occasion it warrents further discipline from the league. I'm very sorry that Begin got hurt, ideally nobody would get hurt but it happens and when it does you don't have to automatically call for someone to get suspended.
he have pitch his stick himself to the ice, and hit the legs of Begin,
i have a problem with that

Old
04-12-2004, 11:56 PM
xtra

well first off i saw the play and i thouhgt that McGillis went to block the shot.

Secondly Riberio is a peice of ***** that's an embarassment. Players may dive to get a call but the don't lie on the ground and writhe in pain for 5 mins and then laugh that they stopped the oppositions 4on 2. that to me is classless.

I saw the interview with Souray on the score and Souray was trying to be a good teammate and said the right things but you could see by his expressions that he was disgusted with the performance that Ribierio gave.

Old
04-12-2004, 11:59 PM
mmmBeer

FWIW, McGillis' explanation of the play, from:

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey...C5-D351DF92ED70

"Begin's case appears more serious. He looked to have injured a knee on a low hit along the boards from McGillis, who was diving to clear a puck from the zone.

'It was a desperation move,' said McGillis. 'I was trying to get the puck out of our end.

'I didn't jump at his knees or anything.'"

I know it won't persuade anyone who already thinks it was a dirty play, but thought I'd post it anyways... I think it's clear there was no intent to injured, but that's just me.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Sonik

Quote:

Hahah! Good one!

As a Habs fan, I felt really ashamed when I saw Ribs act like he did. I just hope "hockey" gets the center of attention back in game 4.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:07 AM
komisakick ass

Quote:
FWIW, McGillis' explanation of the play, from:

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey...C5-D351DF92ED70

"Begin's case appears more serious. He looked to have injured a knee on a low hit along the boards from McGillis, who was diving to clear a puck from the zone.

'It was a desperation move,' said McGillis. 'I was trying to get the puck out of our end.

'I didn't jump at his knees or anything.'"

I know it won't persuade anyone who already thinks it was a dirty play, but thought I'd post it anyways... I think it's clear there was no intent to injured, but that's just me.
Do you think he will say that he have try to injured Begin.
I think it was a good occasion to injured the only physical foward of the team

Old
04-13-2004, 12:21 AM
Crosbyfan

I think McGillis made a mistake. He made a dangerous play trying to use his body to do the job of his missing stick. League should reprimand but not suspend IF they agree and IF they can define it. Ribiero should at least be given a warning by the League, and a suspension if he can't justify his actions.

I'm a Montreal fan.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:23 AM
SuperUnknown

Stop the whining Hab fans, leave if for the Bruins fans.

P.S.: Please don't take it too literally and take my bias for what it is.

Old
04-13-2004, 12:30 AM
mmmBeer

Quote:
Do you think he will say that he have try to injured Begin.
I think it was a good occasion to injured the only physical foward of the team
No, I don't think McGillis would have said he tried to injure Begin if, in fact, he had tried to injured Begin.

What I do think/know is that (1) McGillis was trying to clear the puck out of the zone as Begin was charging in on him and (2) he broke his stick in the process.

Those are both facts.

Another fact is that (3) he dropped to the ice immediately after breaking his stick.

The two consequences of him dropping to the ice were that (4) he cleared the puck out of the zone and (5) he undercut Begin.

This is where there is a conflict in opinion. Bruins fans tend to think the intent of McGillis dropping to the ice was to clear the puck out of the zone, while Canadiens fans tend to think the intent was to undercut Begin.

My justification for thinking that McGillis' intent was to clear the puck out of the zone is that, since he was initially trying to clear the puck out of the zone, the fact that his stick broke wouldn't cause him to instantaneously alter his objective, but instead cause him to change tactics in achieving that objective. Meanwhile, Canadiens fans tend to think that once McGillis broke his stick he, in a split second, completely altered his objective. Whose right? Only McGillis knows . I think the more plausible answer is that he was still trying to clear the puck out of the zone. But, again, maybe that's just me.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:14 AM
Habsolution

I don't think McGillis was trying to hurt Bégin. He had a split second to decide what he was going to do. He had just broken his stick, the only thing he thought of to make sure he wouldn't get beaten is to drop to the ice. The play could have resulted in Bégin jumping over him while he missed the puck giving Bégin a clear cut breakaway, or Bégin falling down on him harmlessly, or Bégin falling down awkwardly on him and injuring McGillis. I doubt McGillis had time to weight all those odds and go for a dive. He just did that by instinct. Let's just hope Bégin will be back tonight to lay even bigger hits than the Nylander one on the pooh bears.

Closed Thread