HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Long stick for a forward-Pros/Cons

Old
01-19-2008, 08:16 AM
Bluefan75

vCash: 500
Long stick for a forward-Pros/Cons

I'm aware of the short stick=better puck handling, long stick=poke check etc. But I have heard in some different places forwards should play with a long stick. I have to believe there's more to the stick length than just the stickhandling. What do you guys find are pros/cons of the longe stick for forwards?

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 09:16 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Longer sticks give you more shot power too, shorter sticks allow you to get the shot off quicker and higher.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Redden Hogalot*

Jason Spezza, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal, etc, all use long sticks and they are great stick handlers. It takes practice to master stickhandling with a long stick.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 12:39 PM
SilverSeven

Longer sticks obviously allow for better puck protection as well.

They allow you to keep the puck further away from your body, so if you use your body to protect the puck often it will help that aspect of the game. This is of course assuming you use distance to protect the puck rather than stickhandling/keeping it in your skates.

The difference in stickhandling is pretty substantial IMO. Its a completely different feel.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:09 PM
StrykerB

I can't imagine what bigger guys in the league do like Zdeno Chara. He's like 6'-9 or something. That would put him at like 7' with skates.

I would imagine that he would have his sticks made special.

StrykerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 03:25 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenRoad View Post
Jason Spezza, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal, etc, all use long sticks and they are great stick handlers. It takes practice to master stickhandling with a long stick.
Agreed. If you can master stickhandling with a long stick tho. You'll have a distinct advantage over other players b/c of the extra reach you have. It's worth learning IMO

Long Stick Pros: More Reach, Poke Check, Hard shots
Long Stick Cons: Harder to take quick snap shots, hard to deke down low

Short Stick Pros: Easy to take quick shots, easy to master stickhandling, easy to deke in traffic
Short Stick Cons: Harder to defend with, Harder to beat a defender 1 on 1.

But it's not how long your stick is, it's how you use it

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 04:51 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
I'm 6'4", and have always used a very, very long stick (up to my lips on skates), and not to brag, but I am easily the best stick handler on my team.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 05:37 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Agreed. If you can master stickhandling with a long stick tho. You'll have a distinct advantage over other players b/c of the extra reach you have. It's worth learning IMO

Long Stick Pros: More Reach, Poke Check, Hard shots
Long Stick Cons: Harder to take quick snap shots, hard to deke down low

Short Stick Pros: Easy to take quick shots, easy to master stickhandling, easy to deke in traffic
Short Stick Cons: Harder to defend with, Harder to beat a defender 1 on 1.

But it's not how long your stick is, it's how you use it
tell that to Crosby, Hossa, etc

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I'm a forward and I love long sticks. I like my stick up to my forhead. I'm a great stickhandler. I feel more comfertable with a longer stick.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 06:50 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by x eric x View Post
tell that to Crosby, Hossa, etc
Ok, Ok, you win. It's harder to beat a defender 1 on 1 with a shorter stick UNLESS you're an elite top 10 hockey player in the world.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Ulic

You can practice to become equally proficient with either stick.
Just focus on what feels better for the way you play.

Factors such as your skating style could influence your decision. If you skate low to the ice a shorter stick may compliment your skills better. The opposite is also true.
If you tend to play defense or as a defensive forward you may be more effective with a longer stick because of the increased area in which you can reach to poke check the puck or reach an opponent.

I would also focus on what kind of shot you have. If you tend to chip pucks in close or release quick snap shots from around the crease a shorter stick might help. If you take bigger slap shots or big wristers from the point a longer stick might help.

Essentially just focus on what kind of game you play and then think of what length of stick would compliment that the best. If you still don't know just come back and tell us how you play.

I usually play on the wing so I prefer to have a longer reach because it helps me to pick off passes to clear the puck out of our end and get break aways. That is just the way I prefer to play and therefore a longer reach helps with that. No gear will really make you better at one thing or another but the right gear can help to compliment your main skills.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic View Post
You can practice to become equally proficient with either stick.
Just focus on what feels better for the way you play.

Factors such as your skating style could influence your decision. If you skate low to the ice a shorter stick may compliment your skills better. The opposite is also true.
If you tend to play defense or as a defensive forward you may be more effective with a longer stick because of the increased area in which you can reach to poke check the puck or reach an opponent.

I would also focus on what kind of shot you have. If you tend to chip pucks in close or release quick snap shots from around the crease a shorter stick might help. If you take bigger slap shots or big wristers from the point a longer stick might help.

Essentially just focus on what kind of game you play and then think of what length of stick would compliment that the best. If you still don't know just come back and tell us how you play.

I usually play on the wing so I prefer to have a longer reach because it helps me to pick off passes to clear the puck out of our end and get break aways. That is just the way I prefer to play and therefore a longer reach helps with that. No gear will really make you better at one thing or another but the right gear can help to compliment your main skills.
A lot of what you said describes how I play, or see things. I play forward most of the time, only end up on defense when I come back to cover and the guy who was playing defense thinks we're switching and goes up. I like how I can pick off pucks a little further out. I'm still working on confidence enough to go through/around defenseman. I usually try to drw the D man into a spot tat opens up a teammate for a pass. I rarely take slapshots, and do little fom the point. I usually try to work around the slot or set up guys from behind the net. I'm more of a passer than a shooter. Most of my goals are from following up rushes where I just have to redirect the puck. I might gain in the offensive zone, but give up in the neutral zone on picking off loose pucks. I honestly couldn't say which is the bigger end of the transaction though.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Ulic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefan75 View Post
A lot of what you said describes how I play, or see things. I play forward most of the time, only end up on defense when I come back to cover and the guy who was playing defense thinks we're switching and goes up. I like how I can pick off pucks a little further out. I'm still working on confidence enough to go through/around defenseman. I usually try to drw the D man into a spot tat opens up a teammate for a pass. I rarely take slapshots, and do little fom the point. I usually try to work around the slot or set up guys from behind the net. I'm more of a passer than a shooter. Most of my goals are from following up rushes where I just have to redirect the puck. I might gain in the offensive zone, but give up in the neutral zone on picking off loose pucks. I honestly couldn't say which is the bigger end of the transaction though.
If you can find a long, cheaper wood stick I'd try it out for a couple games to see how it feels. After that cut it down a bit and see how it feels. This way you would be able to see first hand how you handle different lengths. It might be better to just see what you play better with rather than worrying about the attributes of the stick. Hope some of this has helped.

Ulic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Eb0la11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
I'm 6'4", and have always used a very, very long stick (up to my lips on skates), and not to brag, but I am easily the best stick handler on my team.
I've always though up to your lips was about average as a stick length in general no matter what your height. A guy also said he had his up to his forehead. Id consider that a long stick if its up to his forhead while on skates, but if not on skates then its about the same as you which is a normal cut. Whenever you are just starting out any coach/technician at your local sport store would suggest standing on your tippy toes and cutting it at the height of your nose. that way when on skates its up to your nose. Id think thatd be average.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Eb0la11

Ive also found that my shot is worse the longer my stick gets all together. There might be maybe a tiny bit more power on the slapshot but its not worth the trade off you have to make by generally losing stick handling abilities for that little bit of extra power on a slapper you might be able to unleash once a game.

Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

vCash: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
I've always though up to your lips was about average as a stick length in general no matter what your height. A guy also said he had his up to his forehead. Id consider that a long stick if its up to his forhead while on skates, but if not on skates then its about the same as you which is a normal cut. Whenever you are just starting out any coach/technician at your local sport store would suggest standing on your tippy toes and cutting it at the height of your nose. that way when on skates its up to your nose. Id think thatd be average.
I just meant my stick was very long compared to my teammates.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Namesinvain

When I use a shorter stick (up to my shoulders on skates) my back kills me. I actually found that my slap shots are much harder and more accurate with a short stick. I think because I really lean into it and use more of my legs.

Oh and has anyone every noticed how short Paul Coffey's stick was? Very unusual for a defensemen.

Last edited by Namesinvain: 01-20-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Namesinvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 08:17 AM
MN_Gopher

I use both a long and short stick. I just goof around on the pond. My long stick i have another 2 inches of tape on the knob, i figure my pinky and ring finger are just on tape and are not on wood at all.

With my long stick. I can tip much better. Love parking my self in front of the net and i can get my blade on most anything. Takes practice knowing how to keep your stick on the ice and not get it flipped up. My passing angles are different and in some cases batter. It makes me play a more disaplined game. Do not try to thread anything.

My short stick. I make snappy descions. it makes me feel like i should skate more. I can pin point passes and shots better. I hate that a lot of tips or passes that i should get seem to go just a little to far in front of me. Playing D i like the short stick better. When i see a puck and swipe at it. I feel like i am able to get it. With my long stick i use more to lay in front of me and make the guy go around or i just tie him up easily.

I use my long stick on offense and short on defense.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 12:14 PM
Pittsburgh Proud

i use a longer stick as a forward. To be perfectly honest with you i cant stick handle with a short stick. I feel way to low to the ice.

Pittsburgh Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 12:44 PM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namesinvain View Post
When I use a shorter stick (up to my shoulders on skates) my back kills me. I actually found that my slap shots are much harder and more accurate with a short stick. I think because I really lean into it and use more of my legs.
I used a longer stick for that reason -- I found myself hunching over a lot and my back couldn't take it. I used a longer stick for awhile but switched back to a short stick recently. Better stick handling, more power on my shot, less flex (once I cut it) to the stick were my reasons for switching back, and I adjusted my posture (bent my knees more) so I don't hunch over like before.

You may have a longer reach with a long stick but unless you have strong wrists your puck control will suffer. It's easy for opponents to lift your stick since you won't be leaning on it. The lie of your blade will become an issue -- the further you reach (or the closer you bring it to your feet) the less of your blade touches the ice. Not to mention that long sticks are just heavier than short sticks.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 06:49 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
I'm a forward and I love long sticks. I like my stick up to my forhead. I'm a great stickhandler. I feel more comfertable with a longer stick.
wow you must use really long sticks, i usually use a stick that comes just past my nose, maybe eye level. i used to use shorter sticks but i find i handle the puck much better with a longer stick.

i went out today and bought a new Easton Octane shaft b/c i had a Sherwood Spezza blade that was brand new and unused. it seems to have pretty good flex, i can't wait to get out and use it. My TPS Response had not been doing well for me this year.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 07:25 PM
jacklours

Some guys mentionnes players with long sticks. Someone i've seen who has a surprisingly long stick is P-M Bouchard. I've seen some sticks that he was about to receive when I was at Sher-Wod a few years ago, and they were taller then me (i'm 6ft).The guy said they were already he right length and not gonna be cut or whatever, I found that surprising because he is pretty short

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Redden Hogalot*

Some people probably stickhandle better with a longer stick because its farther away from their body and easier to see, therefore easier to stickhandle.

But take Kyle Wellwood for example he uses a really short stick and stickhandles really close to his body. He practiced like that, and now hes an awesome stickhandler.

Redden Hogalot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 11:26 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Some of the best stickhandlers in the world use shorter sticks. I use a longer stick because it's more comfortable to me. If I use a shorter stick it doesn't feel right at all and I can't even handle the puck for crap.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 11:42 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerB View Post
I can't imagine what bigger guys in the league do like Zdeno Chara. He's like 6'-9 or something. That would put him at like 7' with skates.

I would imagine that he would have his sticks made special.
he had to get permission from the league to have a longer stick

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote