HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why aren't the other young teams struggling like the Sens did?

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2004, 12:49 AM
porknbeans

vCash: 500
Why aren't the other young teams struggling like the Sens did?

I never believed that the team being young was the reason that the Sens got swept and beaten over and over by the Leafs (this year looks like the same thing again) but when I think about it, I realize that although the Sens have never been good enough for the Cup, the sweeps and first round play has been inexcusable.

I have come to the conclusion (several years now actually) that the problem isn't the players. Its the PLAYING STYLE. IT IS THE COACHING.

There ise no other explanation.

We can't win in the playoffs because of the players we have. Its how we use them that never works. Thats just my opinion.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:03 AM
leafaholix*

The Sens aren't struggling... two words, Ed. Belfour.

If it was anyone of the other 13 goalies (excluding Ed and Marty), the Sens would probably have a series lead by now... the Sens offense is that good.

Old
04-13-2004, 01:08 AM
Don Draper

what young teams are you talking about? Which young teams have won a cup over the past decade? if you dont win the cup, you dont win the cup. And as stated, this is probably the hardest the Sens have played in the playoffs, obviously showing maturity. The series isnt over

Old
04-13-2004, 01:26 AM
saa25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredsensfan
I never believed that the team being young was the reason that the Sens got swept and beaten over and over by the Leafs (this year looks like the same thing again) but when I think about it, I realize that although the Sens have never been good enough for the Cup, the sweeps and first round play has been inexcusable.

I have come to the conclusion (several years now actually) that the problem isn't the players. Its the PLAYING STYLE. IT IS THE COACHING.

There ise no other explanation.

We can't win in the playoffs because of the players we have. Its how we use them that never works. Thats just my opinion.
You're probably right, and it also explains why Toronto can't beat Philly while Ottawa seems to own them every time they play.

Old
04-13-2004, 07:24 AM
o-dog

I've said it before and I'll say it again...good coaching looks great with great goaltending. How far would the Leafs ever got under Quinn with a mediocre goalie? Toronto was outcoached last night...how does a poor faceoff team going up against 3 solid centres all of a sudden win most of the draws? Martin had the right guys out for the matchups, that's why. Didn't have that option in the first 2 games in TO.

THe Sens have been shutout a lot in the playoffs, that much is true, but they were all over the Leafs last night. TO had no business winning that game and they did. Ed. Belfour.

Old
04-13-2004, 09:12 AM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafaholix
The Sens aren't struggling... two words, Ed. Belfour.

If it was anyone of the other 13 goalies (excluding Ed and Marty), the Sens would probably have a series lead by now... the Sens offense is that good.
Have you seen Brodeur play this year? He's been ordinary so far against Philly, just not the same Brodeur we all have a love-hate relationship with .

Old
04-13-2004, 09:28 AM
Quantas

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedog
I've said it before and I'll say it again...good coaching looks great with great goaltending. How far would the Leafs ever got under Quinn with a mediocre goalie? Toronto was outcoached last night...how does a poor faceoff team going up against 3 solid centres all of a sudden win most of the draws? Martin had the right guys out for the matchups, that's why. Didn't have that option in the first 2 games in TO.
You know, there are a lot of areas where we can be proud of the Sens. They didn't quit when they were down (which they have in the past). They turned one of their greatest weaknesses (faceoffs) into a strength (for one night at least). Their best players weren't invisible (Hossa, Havlat, Alfredsson) but put forth a good effort. You can't say the players weren't ready or motivated. You can't say Lalime didn't make the big saves. The Leafs had a few good chances of their own and he kept the game close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiedog
THe Sens have been shutout a lot in the playoffs, that much is true, but they were all over the Leafs last night. TO had no business winning that game and they did. Ed. Belfour.
And now we come to the negatives... How many times have they been shutout in the playoffs, and not just by the Leafs? 10? 12? It's rediculous. It's 4 matchups now (6 if you count 1999 against Buffalo and 1998 against Washington) where the opposing goalies look like the second coming of Jacques Plante, Ken Dryden and Terry Sawchuck all rolled into one.

How many times have they gone into the playoffs top 5 in goals for and top 5 on the PP? And everytime their scoring drops in half. I know the checking is tighter and there's some heavy scouting going on, but it shouldn't dry up completely.

For all the changes the team has made in playing style and makeup, some things still don't change.

Old
04-13-2004, 10:33 AM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
It's Martin...I hate to admit it. He makes some very questionable decisions..and it seems like a lot of the top players aren't getting motivated by him anymore. (See: Bonk). You know who I'd like to see here? It'll never happen now, but Bob Hartley. Spezza would be a #1 centre now, and Havlat/Hossa would be scoring leaders easily. Martin doesn't know how to treat young talent unless they're very defensive. Well, if you can't score goals, you're not going to win a game. If you play so defensive..chances are the other team will catch a break and win the game.

Old
04-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
It's Martin...I hate to admit it. He makes some very questionable decisions..and it seems like a lot of the top players aren't getting motivated by him anymore. (See: Bonk). You know who I'd like to see here? It'll never happen now, but Bob Hartley. Spezza would be a #1 centre now, and Havlat/Hossa would be scoring leaders easily. Martin doesn't know how to treat young talent unless they're very defensive. Well, if you can't score goals, you're not going to win a game. If you play so defensive..chances are the other team will catch a break and win the game.
its the goalie. not playing playoff calibre goaltending. Belfour is. If Lalime steps up Ottawa will win.

Old
04-13-2004, 11:06 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry
its the goalie. not playing playoff calibre goaltending. Belfour is. If Lalime steps up Ottawa will win.
Uhh...not really...

The Sens PP has been solved by the Leafs. Shut down Alfredsson and the Power Play shuts down. And they've been doing this perfectly in the last 2 games.

The Sens aren't scoring...that's the entire problem right now. People aren't going to the net...they are letting Eddie see every shot coming at him. This isn't going to win us a series against the Leafs.

They aren't driving to the net...they are trying to rely on pretty perimeter work. The last 2 games have shown that the Leafs will either block the shot or Eddie will see it.

There isn't enough traffic in front of the net, and until this is resolved...we are going to continue to be shut out.

If the Sens keep with this tactic...and lose game 4 tomorrow...pack it in boys...the series will be over in 5!

Closed Thread