HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Goalie tips

Old
01-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Airborne Troll*

vCash: 500
Goalie tips

Can you give me tips to help my rebound control?

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 07:37 PM
CaptBrannigan

Practice using your stick to direct them to the corner. I find it easier to direct them with my stick and/or blocker than my leg pads.

CaptBrannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
using your stick on low shots is a good idea..

on high shots, try to make the shots hit you in the chest every time.. and place your glove under the puck...

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Airborne Troll*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
using your stick on low shots is a good idea..

on high shots, try to make the shots hit you in the chest every time.. and place your glove under the puck...
how do I make them hit me in the chest everytime?

Old
01-20-2008, 08:46 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Man View Post
how do I make them hit me in the chest everytime?
You probably will not be able to have every shot hit you directly in the center of your chest, but you want to get as much of your body in front of the puck as possible.

When you are in your stance, you want to be a compact as possible. This give you the ability to "spring" out of your stance to make a save up high (Some goalie are different and prefer a more "loose" style, but this is what I teach my students and what I used when I played). When you are in this stance and a shot goes glove high, you don't throw just your glove up to make that highlight reel save. You "spring" out of your stance and move your upper body towards the shot. Your keep your bicep as close to your body as possible with your glove out like it is pointing towards the shooter, with the glove open facing the ceiling (This is a lot easier to explain in person and very easy to do haha). Same goes for shots high to the stick side, but you bring your glove over to trap the puck on your blocker or chest (And obviously you don't have your blocker pointing at the shooter).

The is a more favorable save then going down and throwing your glove or blocker up at the shot (That is for deseperation saves). Your take up more net, it is easier to hold or control your rebounds, and it closes up your holes better.

For low shots, get your stick on every shot that you can and make sure the blade is angled and not straight up and down. if you can't, try to angle your pad so that it is not straight ascross your body (or in front of your body as well). Stay square to the shooter and your should not have a problem with this.

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Airborne Troll*

Thanks a lot UAGoalieGuy

If someone else has other tips, just post them please

I have another question

Which parts of my body should I train to be a better goalie?

Old
01-20-2008, 09:07 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Thanks a lot UAGoalieGuy

If someone else has other tips, just post them please

I have another question

Which parts of my body should I train to be a better goalie?
Legs and abs. Gotta be explosive to make saves and be able to be lightning fast laterally as wel as up and down.

Old
01-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Airborne Troll*

Thanks!

And what's the difference between a good and a bad goalie?

They are all big, they all have the same equipment, but what's the difference between them?

Old
01-20-2008, 09:17 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Thanks!

And what's the difference between a good and a bad goalie?

They are all big, they all have the same equipment, but what's the difference between them?
well i'm only 5'6. Not all good goalies are big (IE Richter/Beezer/etc.) Although now-a-days goalies that make it to the NHL are on average about 6'1 or so. I think the biggest difference between a good goalie and a bad goalie is the ability to stay square (and play the angles perfectly), have the ability to read the play and have a good idea on how it will develop, and keeping your head when things don't go your way (Your teammates get a lot of their confidence off of you, the goalie. If you show that you are shook by a bad goal or something they won't have any confidence, just like after a huge save your team scores, sometimes).

There are a ton of reasons that make a difference, those are the ones, off the top of my head, that are very important.

EDIT: oh yeah, and work ethic is HUGE.

Old
01-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Rebound control....skate saves!

Quote:
Can you give me tips to help my rebound control?
Yep, I recommend "Skate Saves"! It a lost art and it always directs the puck into the corner, rather than out front. Now, if you send me a PM, I will send you a link on where you can get the info that I have posted on variuos forum to show you how to do Skate saves correctly.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Yep, I recommend "Skate Saves"! It a lost art and it always directs the puck into the corner, rather than out front. Now, if you send me a PM, I will send you a link on where you can get the info that I have posted on variuos forum to show you how to do Skate saves correctly.

Head coach
THe old half moon saves eh? haha I could never get the timing right on those. They work quite well if you can though. I think you lead with your stick though too and try to get the stick on it first.

Old
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
SJGoalie32

I always hated the skate save.....

On the one hand I could half-butterfly and let puck hit one of my 4-inch thick, stuffed 30+"x12" leg pads.......or I could turn my ankle out expose my unprotected inner ankle and the instep of my foot to a hard puck in the hopes that it will carom just right off the 1-inch tall, 12-inch wide thin blade of my skate.....and god help me if the rebound isn't perfectly placed.......

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJGoalie32 View Post
I always hated the skate save.....

On the one hand I could half-butterfly and let puck hit one of my 4-inch thick, stuffed 30+"x12" leg pads.......or I could turn my ankle out expose my unprotected inner ankle and the instep of my foot to a hard puck in the hopes that it will carom just right off the 1-inch tall, 12-inch wide thin blade of my skate.....and god help me if the rebound isn't perfectly placed.......
Well, First of all, your goalie skate has a hard shell on the inside skate wall to protect you during this very save. That's why it's there.

Second, it a timing thing. You half moon your skate by going down on one knee first, then moving the knee that is up two inches and moving the blade on it side in an arch towards the corner. The stick, depeneding on which side you are doing the skate save, goes with the skate to help with the redirection of the puck.

However, the good thing is you have just placed one knee down and it is easier and quicker for you to get back up and get squared to the shooter.

Yes, I know there are those golaies that can get up and down out of a butterfly faster than lighting. However, is you always use the butterfly, shooters are on the bench watching what you do, and then they will start shooting high when you do down.

Now, I'm not telling you you should change your butterfly style. All I am saying is that you should have as many different types of save to use at your disposal so that it makes it harder for the shooter to know what you are going to do.

Once you have mastered this save , which is very easy to do, it really is a great tools to use to redirect the shot away from in front of the net.

Why give your opponent another chance at getting it in the net. Now, I guess for me, I would rather do a skate save and put it away for the shooter than a butterfly and give him that second shoot.

I have always found that it is harder to control a shot of a butterfly, because the pad absorbs a lot of the force or speed of the puck, it has a tendency to bound off the pad about one or two feet.

Sometimes just a little beyond the reach, which I have to pull back with my stick, then when I do a skate save, which goes about ten fet for more.

Which gives me more time to react for the next shot.

Head Coach.

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote