HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most EN goals in a game?

Old
01-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Jose Corvo*

vCash: 500
Most EN goals in a game?

The obvious guess would be 2. Anyone know the answer to this?

Jose Corvo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Grimshaw

The Blackhawks nailed the habs once for at least 3 or 4 iirc, the habs needed to score at least 5 goals to make it to the playoffs, I can't recall the year though

Grimshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Lowetide

I think that was spring 1970. iirc correctly that Rangers played Detroit the final game of the season and Montreal played Chicago (or some such). It was a total goal deal and Detroit rested a bunch of guys so the Rangers won and by a good margin.

So the Habs had to score a certain number of goals in order to make the playoffs and the final score didn't matter. The memory blurs but it was something like that.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 01:16 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

It's described in Dick Irvin's book, "My 26 Stanley Cups". The Rangers and Habs were tied before Montreal's last game and Montreal could make the playoffs by a win/tie or by scoring five goals (the Rangers finished their regular season first). Total goals scored was the tie breaker.

Chicago, with rookie Tony Esposito in net, needed a win to secure first place. In the third period, with 9:16 left, the Hawks were up 5-2 and the Habs knew they couldn't win or tie so they pulled the goalie (Vachon) in an attempt to score the five needed goals.

It didn't quite turn out that way. Chicago scored *five* empty net goals and won 10-2. No playoffs for the Habs that year.

Inkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Jose Corvo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkling View Post
It's described in Dick Irvin's book, "My 26 Stanley Cups". The Rangers and Habs were tied before Montreal's last game and Montreal could make the playoffs by a win/tie or by scoring five goals (the Rangers finished their regular season first). Total goals scored was the tie breaker.

Chicago, with rookie Tony Esposito in net, needed a win to secure first place. In the third period, with 9:16 left, the Hawks were up 5-2 and the Habs knew they couldn't win or tie so they pulled the goalie (Vachon) in an attempt to score the five needed goals.

It didn't quite turn out that way. Chicago scored *five* empty net goals and won 10-2. No playoffs for the Habs that year.
Thank you very much.

If something like that happened today it would be the end of HFboards as we know it. Have the tiebreaking rules been changed since then?

Jose Corvo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 02:34 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Corvo View Post
Thank you very much.

If something like that happened today it would be the end of HFboards as we know it. Have the tiebreaking rules been changed since then?
Pretty sure it goes by goal differential now instead of goals scored, so a stunt like that one wouldn't really help a team anymore.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 08:20 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Pretty sure it goes by goal differential now instead of goals scored, so a stunt like that one wouldn't really help a team anymore.
As a direct result of that game, the tiebreaker rule was amended for the following season.

I was listening to the game that night on the radio (I followed the Habs at the time). The Habs had not missed the playoffs in eons and all they needed was a tie to make the playoffs. Once it became obvious they would lose the game, they pulled their goaler in a effort to reach the next tiebreaker. The Hawks had a great team at that time though and the Habs were doomed. I believe that was the season Tony Esposito got 15 shutouts. I believe that Habs team may still hold the record for the most points in a season for a non playoff team. (unless some team has passed it in the last few years thanks to the extra points awarded for losses).

Last edited by Chili: 01-20-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 08:52 PM
pappyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
As a direct result of that game, the tiebreaker rule was amended for the following season.

I was listening to the game that night on the radio (I followed the Habs at the time). The Habs had not missed the playoffs in eons and all they needed was a tie to make the playoffs. Once it became obvious they would lose the game, they pulled their goaler in a effort to reach the next tiebreaker. The Hawks had a great team at that time though and the Habs were doomed. I believe that was the season Tony Esposito got 15 shutouts. I believe that Habs team may still hold the record for the most points in a season for a non playoff team. (unless some team has passed it in the last few years thanks to the extra points awarded for losses).
I remember the 70 fiasco very well. The most delightful part of it was Montreal mising the playoffs. From 68 thu 70, some very good teams missed the playoffs due to the expansion teams having their own division & playoffs.

pappyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 09:07 PM
frontsfan2005

Colorado holds the records for most points and no playoffs, setting it with 95 last year and finishing 9th in the West.

frontsfan2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:14 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontsfan2005 View Post
Colorado holds the records for most points and no playoffs, setting it with 95 last year and finishing 9th in the West.
I knew that record would eventually fall once they started awarding three points in many games. It distorts all time points records.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowetide View Post
I think that was spring 1970. iirc correctly that Rangers played Detroit the final game of the season and Montreal played Chicago (or some such). It was a total goal deal and Detroit rested a bunch of guys so the Rangers won and by a good margin.

So the Habs had to score a certain number of goals in order to make the playoffs and the final score didn't matter. The memory blurs but it was something like that.
It was Montreal versus Chicago. I remember seeing the game on Sunday afternoon television. If memory serves Chicago got four or five empty net goals, and Montreal missed the playoffs anyway despite the unorthodox move. Never saw anything like it before or since.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2008, 11:04 PM
Lowetide

Man the memories flood back reading the account above. There was holy hell about it to iirc because players were rested and blah blah blah but as a Bruins fan I was happy all summer PLUS the Habs missed the playoffs and THAT was like no snow at Christmas.

Lowetide is offline   Reply With Quote